Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

taqueso posted:

What's the lowest tuning possible?

Human hearing stops at about 40hz on the low end i believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

taqueso posted:

Not sure I want to hear a band tuned to The Brown Note.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

taqueso posted:

It's not s/d/s AT ALL but the dude from Within the Ruins plays in Drop F on a 7-string - C F C F A# D G. He basically had to design his gear around the tuning - low 2 strings are .100 and .085 bass strings, and the guitar has a 27.5" baritone scale.

It sounds loving brutal though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_cw2DjcuW8

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

There's a point where you're just paying baritone guitar, then there's a point where you're just playing bass, then there's a point where you have to switch to oscillators and snyths to put out sub-bass frequencies you can't hear

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

There's a point where you're just paying baritone guitar, then there's a point where you're just playing bass, then there's a point where you have to switch to oscillators and snyths to put out sub-bass frequencies you can't hear

Why not both?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wow that is astonishingly corny

I would be interested in hearing how low someone can possibly get a standard guitar before it just doesn’t work anymore. Especially if it’s some nasty noise sludge drone instead of djent.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lol if you aren't putting a p90 on a cell tower guy wire and hitting it with a hammer/violin bow

edit: can't find it but there's a photo of what I assume is a noise artist's SG that has been rigged with a single 3/4" cable. Those djent dorks also have similar "EMG mounted to a stick with one fret" things

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 20, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snowy posted:

I would be interested in hearing how low someone can possibly get a standard guitar before it just doesn’t work anymore. Especially if it’s some nasty noise sludge drone instead of djent.

This is the post where I get angry that I posted a wildly different metal subgenre and it isn't well-received :v:

Tune in next week when I give an example of "epic fuzz/distortion" by posting a Hives song

On-topic though I guess it depends what you mean by "doesn't work," you could probably downtune to below bass levels and still get a fairly consistent open-string note but I dunno how well fretting actual notes would work.
Then again you could probably put together a serviceable drone band that only played open notes so who knows!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

Lol if you aren't putting a p90 on a cell tower guy wire and hitting it with a hammer/violin bow

edit: can't find it but there's a photo of what I assume is a noise artist's SG that has been rigged with a single 3/4" cable. Those djent dorks also have similar "EMG mounted to a stick with one fret" things

Les Claypool has the whamola and that thing's been around since the early 90's at least, I've never seen a djent band use something like that (although Meshuggah might as well considering most of their songs are incredibly repetitive and not in a good drone/doom way)

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The song is poo poo. Djent is poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

The song is poo poo. Djent is poo poo.

:blastu:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i just shared Omega Massif's cover of "Don't Bring Me Flowers" by Godflesh in the GBS covers thread and thought you folks might enjoy; it gets pretty cool at four minutes and twenty seconds for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ei7QfFkEhE

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

funkybottoms posted:

i just shared Omega Massif's cover of "Don't Bring Me Flowers" by Godflesh in the GBS covers thread and thought you folks might enjoy; it gets pretty cool at four minutes and twenty seconds for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ei7QfFkEhE

Never heard of Omega Massif but it sounds real nice :peanut:

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I mean if you don't have a good trained ear Bell Witch sounds like a guitar.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Snowy posted:

Bob Log III tunes his low string pretty low. the intro on the first video is the easiest example I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5BmKsCJX7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NbNfPvSc2k

I chose a live video as its the best way to experience Mr. Log.

Wes Borland uses a Bass G string on his E/B string position. I kinda wish Wes was in a stoner band, he's an incredible riff machine. I am an unashamed Limp Bizkit fan for this reason alone.

hes also a loving awesome dude and played my friends wedding (bride and groom are huge fans)

and I believe he is S/D/S adjacent because hes riffy and fuzzy as heck.

e: Djent is poo poo. math metal is poo poo. Hail Satan Worship Doom

Laserface fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 21, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine saying any metal is poo poo in the thread dedicated to SDS, three entire genres based solely on a Sabbath riff from sixty years ago.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imagine saying any metal is poo poo in the thread dedicated to SDS, three entire genres based solely on a Sabbath riff from sixty years ago.

What do those genres taking influences from an old band have to do with djent being bad?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All metal is bad is my point

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Snowy posted:

Never heard of Omega Massif but it sounds real nice :peanut:

they didn't record much, but it's all really good. a goon pointed out that the guitarist went on to Cranial, whom i don't like as much, but the first ep is pretty sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73W8isKTXVc

Laserface posted:

Wes Borland uses a Bass G string on his E/B string position. I kinda wish Wes was in a stoner band, he's an incredible riff machine. I am an unashamed Limp Bizkit fan for this reason alone.

hes also a loving awesome dude and played my friends wedding (bride and groom are huge fans)

and I believe he is S/D/S adjacent because hes riffy and fuzzy as heck.

an old boss of mine was playing at a festival right when Limp Bizkit were starting to get noticed. the organizer was showing Fred Durst and Wes around and introduced them to my boss (and his band), who was sitting at a table with a box of Big Cheez-Its. he offered some to Fred, who scoffed, said something lovely, and walked away. Wes waited a minute, then said, "i loving hate that guy. i'll have some Big Cheez-Its, man" and sat down and chilled for a few. boss said he was a super nice dude.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

funkybottoms posted:

they didn't record much, but it's all really good. a goon pointed out that the guitarist went on to Cranial, whom i don't like as much, but the first ep is pretty sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73W8isKTXVc

Omega Massif rules. Their other guitar player and main song writer is now in Phantom Winter, which is much more aggro but also good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxyTE6UZnHw

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
Has anyone here listened to Church of The Cosmic Skull? they don't really fit in with stoner/doom/sludge but they play at a lot of stoner festivals. I like to think they are like, the anti-doom side of metal. Hope metal if you will.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

unknown butthole posted:

Has anyone here listened to Church of The Cosmic Skull? they don't really fit in with stoner/doom/sludge but they play at a lot of stoner festivals. I like to think they are like, the anti-doom side of metal. Hope metal if you will.

I dig their track on that Wall Redux album (they cover "The Trial") that MER released. I've listened to their latest LP a few times. They remind me of Polyphonic Spree if they had more teeth and little less hippy.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

unknown butthole posted:

Cold Sweat is a jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yiq4ocwQJs

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Maybe I'm a dick but the gimmick and the music both seem half baked where you really need one or the other to really pop

"Father Yod fronts a rock band" is of course such a good concept that it happened in real life

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hey kids we got a new banger from Old Man Gloom. Yum!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Better yet, it's two volumes: Seminar VIII & IX.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

sticklefifer posted:

Better yet, it's two volumes: Seminar VIII & IX.

Thanks!!! Yay more OMG!!!! Love to get pounded by punishing riffs. :kiss:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Oh, sure, hot sauce, pickle relish, and craft beer makers see a market in the SDS crowd, but not Chuck Tingle.

What a world.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

we were this close to doing an Inter Arma beer, too (my vote was for a Winter Warma)

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on

Ingmar terdman posted:

Maybe I'm a dick but the gimmick and the music both seem half baked where you really need one or the other to really pop

"Father Yod fronts a rock band" is of course such a good concept that it happened in real life

I just find it interesting that they play a lot of festivals with bands considered so much heavier. But at the same time I get it, like, they are the Rush/David Bowie/Boston style classic metal brought to new life in the modern era in the way that electric wizard brought black sabbath back to life.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

unknown butthole posted:

they are the Rush/David Bowie/Boston style classic metal

The what?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

You know, the prog rock / glam rock / uh... rock (?) kind of metal.

I mean, obviously.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I remember my friend telling me boston invented black metal and its maybe a little true if you squint right

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

taqueso posted:

I remember my friend telling me boston invented black metal and its maybe a little true if you squint right

Tom Scholz might has well have been a one-man band.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

taqueso posted:

Hmm...

quote:

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away
Actually extremely interested in hearing a good BM cover of this.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Foreplay/Longtime has some pretty sick Fuzz just ringing all the way out in the verses. besides that its still pretty god drat solid anthem rock.

Boston are sick.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tom Scholz might has well have been a one-man band.

Judd Madden before there was a Judd Madden.

Laserface posted:

Foreplay/Longtime has some pretty sick Fuzz just ringing all the way out in the verses. besides that its still pretty god drat solid anthem rock.

Boston are sick.

Boston sound so much better after not listening to them for 20 years.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I've been listening to this band Chat Pile that I guess identifies as noise rock/sludge and holy poo poo. Are people familiar with them? I've had their EP "Please Remove Your Skin" on repeat a BUNCH tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Listening to The River's Vessels Into White Tides and wow, this is a great release. I hadn't listened to anything by them since Drawing Down the Sun.