Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The room already exists and is literally on the other side of the house and 2 floors above the panel. Not happening.

I also have several other systems in the house just for stereo music. This is for "gently caress, that's loud holy poo poo" first and easy listening second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KillHour posted:

The room already exists and is literally on the other side of the house and 2 floors above the panel. Not happening.

I also have several other systems in the house just for stereo music. This is for "gently caress, that's loud holy poo poo" first and easy listening second.

If I was going to go nuts on a theater room my shortlist to check out would be Power Sound Audio, JTR Noesis, M&K Cubes, Triad gold/platinum, maybe smaller JBL Pro speakers.

e: also Revel Performas

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 20, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KillHour posted:

How dumb would it be to get something like these for a dedicated theater room?

https://www.ebay.com/i/302758112694

Alternatively, if you could go crazy with a dedicated room, what speakers would you put in it?

Probably also use it to listen to music and play video games.

There's a lot of people that love those type of "pro audio" horn speaker for HT just because they're extremely efficient and get very loud and that type of dynamics and volume is generally what you want for home theater, though they may not be the greatest for a critical listening session of Joni Mitchell.

There was a guy that started up a home theater speaker business on that model (Tweak City Audio) but he was an idiot and an rear end in a top hat and they went out of business a long time ago IIRC.

The two speaker systems along those (pro audio type) lines but are made specifically for HT that I like are Seaton Sound and JTR. My holy grail HT would be something like 5 Seaton 12Cs and 4 of their subwoofers but then you're in the 30,000 dollar neighborhood.

Runner up would be JTR Noesis of some sort probably with PB16-Ultra type subs.

I probably should have bought JTRs instead of my B&Ws as they're about the same price but they were kind of an impulse purchase.

KillHour posted:

And we're talking "I wonder if a pair of SVS PB-16 Ultras needs more than a 15 amp circuit" crazy.

I don't have two PB-16 Ultras but I do have two PB-13 Ultras and I've never tripped a circuit breaker despite running them hard enough that my sorority house neighbors called the cops on me for "rattling the dishes in their kitchen cabinets" according to the police officer that showed up.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bird with big dick posted:

There's a lot of people that love those type of "pro audio" horn speaker for HT just because they're extremely efficient and get very loud and that type of dynamics and volume is generally what you want for home theater, though they may not be the greatest for a critical listening session of Joni Mitchell.

There was a guy who used to post on the Bill Fitzmaurice forums about his theatre setup. He first had Omnitop 12s and then upgraded to the full bore DR series horns all round. Motherfucker even had subs all round. Absolute lunatic. He eventually switched to the theatre line array speakers on the advice of Bill himself. Having 4 Omnitop 12s I genuinely cannot imagine how skull-crushingly loud this dude needed things to go for DRs, especially since he says the room is small...

quote:

am finally going to listen to Bill and use his theater speakers in my theater, or at least try a pair first. The DRs were at the top of the food chain in my theater but they were really hard to integrate once I went to a full Atmos theater. These are flat to the walls so they would work perfect. I figure these may sound a little softer naturally but after I used dsp on the DRs they were awesome.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 20, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm trying to decide whether to use a Polk CS2 center or buy another of my DCM TFE60 fronts to use as a center, but I'd have to place it horizontally. The CS2 has a 1" cloth tweeter and 2x 6.5" woofers while my fronts have a 1.18" (30mm) metal tweeter with 1x 6.5" woofer. I really like my fronts.

I know standard advice is to get another TFE60, but I'd have to place it horizontally, and if the CS2 is a "better" speaker and not too different, wouldn't it make sense to use it? I don't know the importance of the extra woofer, though the CS2 is louder (I adjusted the volume every time I switched speakers in my testing).

In terms of testing CS2 vs. horizontal TFE60, they sound very similar. The CS2 sounds a bit more directed toward me--is this desirable in a center? That's probably because the TFE60 has better dispersion. It also has slightly better bass.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 21, 2020

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The main issue you’d have turning a speaker on its side is that the dispersion pattern from the tweeter would be different. Unless you’re sitting way off center, though, it shouldn’t be a major issue.

Without knowing exactly what you’re listening to and what you’re noticing, it’s really hard to say what “more directed” means. I would say that in terms of home theater usage, I wouldn’t want a speaker that seems to draw attention more than the others.

If you’re using a subwoofer (or will be in the future) there isn’t any major benefit to the dual 6.5” drivers over a single one.

Getting a matching speaker makes volume matching a lot easier.

All things considered I’d choose another TFE60.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Without knowing exactly what you’re listening to and what you’re noticing, it’s really hard to say what “more directed” means. I would say that in terms of home theater usage, I wouldn’t want a speaker that seems to draw attention more than the others.
With dialogue, the CS2 sounds like it coming from the speaker, while the TFE60 sounds... I don't want to say more natural because that's a loaded term, but the dialogue is less emphasized. The scene I'm testing with is 4 minutes into Super 8. School just let out so there's a lot of ambient noise from other students, buses, and the soundtrack.

I also extensively tested with vocal music, namely Eric Clapton "Tears in Heaven" and Norah Jones "Don't Know Why". The only real noticeable difference here is the TFE60 has slightly better bass.

quote:

If you’re using a subwoofer (or will be in the future) there isn’t any major benefit to the dual 6.5” drivers over a single one.
I have a Hsu STF-2 so no concerns on bass.

e: Sold the CS2 and bought another TFE60, the last new-old-stock on the market. Here's to 3 matching front speakers! :cheers:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 23, 2020

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Not sure if this is a right place to ask but I have been looking for a decent ,small and pleasant looking cd player for my setup, as I have collected a crapload of CDs in my youth, and figured it would be nice to spin them once in a while. Unfortunately everything I see is a size of a DVD player circa 2005 and costs 300 dollars or more. I figured that this type of technology would be much smaller and more affordable these days, but then again this is audio equipment we are talking about. Worst case scenario I will try to dig up my old discman and jury rig it to the receiver.... but if anyone has any ideas of what to look for would be appreciated.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Pretty much any "home" CD player is going to be standard component width because that's how it's always been and we aren't about to change now. The only reason I'd shy away from a portable disc player is a lot of them have very noisy analog outputs (as in audible motor noise, not just poorer specs). I would imagine that standalone players are expensive because they're something of a specialty item these days

So, pick your poison I guess :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CD players are expensive because the only people who buy them are old people with too much money. Buy a DVD player and put CDs in it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-dvd-player-black/4790684.p?skuId=4790684

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Get a ps1

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Putrid Grin posted:

Not sure if this is a right place to ask but I have been looking for a decent ,small and pleasant looking cd player for my setup, as I have collected a crapload of CDs in my youth, and figured it would be nice to spin them once in a while. Unfortunately everything I see is a size of a DVD player circa 2005 and costs 300 dollars or more. I figured that this type of technology would be much smaller and more affordable these days, but then again this is audio equipment we are talking about. Worst case scenario I will try to dig up my old discman and jury rig it to the receiver.... but if anyone has any ideas of what to look for would be appreciated.

Get a mini stereo. Something in the style of a Denon UD-M31 which I have, but of course newer and with whatever look you like. These have RCAs out, remotes and good sound quality, and can be had for pocket change on craigslist or eBay. Or get one of Sonys nice small bluray players, or a small DVD player. Or a Sony CDP X3000ES.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Retro, but you'd need a screen hooked up to see what you're doing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

The only reason I'd shy away from a portable disc player is a lot of them have very noisy analog outputs (as in audible motor noise, not just poorer specs).

I remember the glory days when personal CD players had optical out... It's how I recorded CDs to my Minidisc player.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Actual CD players are at goodwill and similar places in abundance for $5

KillHour posted:

Retro, but you'd need a screen hooked up to see what you're doing.
The only CD players i have are old game consoles, the Sega CDX has built in screen so doesn't have this issue. It, however, is not going to be anywhere near $5.

Depending on the aesthetic he's going for, and if digial audio isn't required, maybe google portable cd players from the 80s and 90s, they can lay flat and have a pop open lid and will look interesting.

Stuff like this looks pretty amazing, but mid 80s stuff is of course expensive

falz fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 25, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's portables with optical output, I used one for years until I got a changer.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

:getin:

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/4bq0j9/i_did_the_playstation_audiophile_mod_sound_real/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I still have an old rear end IDE CD drive with volume control and poo poo that works just fine.
My original playstation works just fine.
My PS2 was great because it even had a remote (until someone stole the console.

I got rid of my Rotel cd player a while back and I've just been using a CDJ-1000 MK3 I got for cheap and I've been happy with it.

If you want to DIY a neat solution then building your own CD player/streaming computer with a Raspberry Pi could be a fun project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCKxEQOPGQ
Bonus points for also being able to stream from it.

But yeah it's already been said; go to Goodwill and buy a $10 blu-ray player that can play CD's, and you'll peobably also be able to stream mp3's over the network and watch netflix and poo poo too.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I’m looking for something to hook up to my TV, and maybe listen to music on. I have a Nintendo Switch and an Apple TV, and I would play music either via Bluetooth (if available), or via the Apple TV. I have about $200-$300 to spend, live in a pretty small place with thin walls so I don’t need a ton of sound. I sit about 9 feet away from the tv, directly centered on the TV. I don’t think I have the room for a surround setup.

What’s my best bang for the buck at the $200-$300 price point for my situation? I’m open to whatever, but I don’t have any existing equipment, so I’m currently leaning towards a sound bar. Any recommendations on what I should be looking at, and/or any specific product recommendations?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’ve been quite happy with my basic Yamaha sound bar. You can usually grab one around 120-130 bucks on sale. Costco has a newer version of the one I have for 130.

There are other options for sure, but I think a basic Yamaha is hard to beat for the price/performance.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

skipdogg posted:

I’ve been quite happy with my basic Yamaha sound bar. You can usually grab one around 120-130 bucks on sale. Costco has a newer version of the one I have for 130.

There are other options for sure, but I think a basic Yamaha is hard to beat for the price/performance.

Thanks dude! I had to go to Costco today anyways, they had one on demo and it sounded pretty good, so I picked it up. Very happy with the performance for that price, big step up from my tv speakers

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Hoping to get some input on speaker set up in a really unusually shaped room. My soundbar just died so I'd like to take the opportunity to get a 5.1 system, but don't want to waste the money if the room layout just isn't conducive to it. Pardon the crudeness of the drawing:

Scale is off but you get the idea. The left and back walls have either a giant closet or an alcove that impact their usability. The couch is offcenter to the TV; I'm hesitant to slide it over any more to avoid a big strip of unusable room along the wall - we already have one between the alcove and the couch so that the alcove isn't blocked off. We originally had the TV catty-corner in the rear-left corner and the sofa on the front wall. May go back to that if we can't figure out a way to make this work (wife prefers this layout because the room feels more open). The rear wall also has a slant from halfway up the wall to the ceiling a few feet into the room, so no clean corners there.

Any suggestions on where I'd put side speakers to make this work reasonably well, or is my current situation hopeless?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You can't rotate the couch 90 degrees and put the TV on the right wall?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I believe (but will double check the measurements) the the length of the couch running top to bottom was just barely large enough to preclude anything else from going in the room and kindof put a wall right in the middle of where you’d walk in. It’s possible but doesn’t look great (but I’ll doublecheck).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maybe just go 3.1? The seating positions you have would make it pretty irrelevant anyway.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm going to try to convince my wife to let us play with some other configurations but I was kindof afraid that would be the case. Thanks!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

3.1 can be great, plus more money to spend on fewer speakers!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Honestly, if you have a budget that's not in the multiple thousands of dollars, the money you'd spend on the surround speakers is probably better spent on your mains.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I appreciate all the input! For the sake of argument, what about a room configured like this? This puts it back to how it was before; not sure if it makes things better for a compromise 5.1. Little circles are where I'd expect speakers probably go, but maybe not? Would corner mount the TV. The viewing angles at least are much better like this than in the setup I posted above.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 29, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Personally I hate cramming a TV in the corner.

Besides being a tougher setup to work around, it is probably going to sound considerably worse than putting it on a flat wall.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Personally I hate cramming a TV in the corner.

Besides being a tougher setup to work around, it is probably going to sound considerably worse than putting it on a flat wall.
On a related note, the interior design megathread has been poking fun at me because I’ve been wanting to redo my living room while prioritizing my home theater setup. They made suggestions like moving the TV way to the side so it doesn’t block a window (the window is useless) and putting the subwoofer in a nicer looking location.

Few of us have a living room that is conducive to both aesthetics and acoustics, so you have to decide on what’s your priority.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm similarly moving into a new living room where the options for a hometheater setup are somewhat awkward:

The red boxes are front and rear speakers. I'm unsure if this is feasible and, more importantly, even worth the hassle as I'd essentially have to route cable past two doors to reach the top rear speaker.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 30, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm similarly moving into a new living room where the options for a hometheater setup are somewhat awkward:

The red boxes are front and rear speakers. I'm unsure if this is feasible and, more importantly, even worth the hassle as I'd essentially have to route cable past two doors to reach the top rear speaker.

Rear speakers are overrated. Spend the money on your fronts. To do mine, I ended up fishing the wires through the walls and into the basement and I don't even have the rears hooked up because I repurposed them in a smaller room as a 2.0 system and haven't bothered buying new ones.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would say if you can’t position your rear speakers effectively, don’t bother with them. Yes they’re great for 5.1 effects but if they’re poorly positioned they can actually detract from the experience.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 30, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

On a related note, the interior design megathread has been poking fun at me because I’ve been wanting to redo my living room while prioritizing my home theater setup. They made suggestions like moving the TV way to the side so it doesn’t block a window (the window is useless) and putting the subwoofer in a nicer looking location.

Few of us have a living room that is conducive to both aesthetics and acoustics, so you have to decide on what’s your priority.

I work in education, specifically AV provisioning and over the past 10 years we've had multiple multi-million dollar buildings designed and built on campus and I can count on exactly ZERO FINGERS how many of those designers and architects on the projects had any clue about how the designs and materials used would actually affect how the buildings are actually used.

You either design the space around the intended purpose or you spend more money trying to work around the physics of the space and attempting to make it sound good. And compromising is the worst thing you can do when it comes to the subject of audio quality.

When architects and designers have their say you end up being forced to use tiny, flat fronted 'line array' cabinets which are 6' tall to cover 500 seats at an elevation change about 15x the height of the speaker which as we all know, DOESN'T WORK no matter how hard they claim they know what they're talking about because you cannot break the laws of physics. Designers can get hosed, architects even more so, we currently have a building being put up which has an enormous glass atrium because it looks good, all the rooms in it are glass walled with hard ceilings and shiny floors, it's going to be an acoustic nightmare and I can't wait for the complaints to roll in when it's complete.

Sorry for the rant but there's a reason cinemas are all soft-wall insulation, carpeted, massive curtains and soft furnishings spaces and it's not to make them cosy.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 31, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey I've probably got a dumb question about speakers. is this the right place?

I've got a basic 5.1 setup at home, Yamaha YHT1840. It works good. Well we're happy with it.

I've been using the speakers that come with it. They're NS-B40 Fronts & Surrounds and the NS-C40 centre.

I've had someone offer me these NS-E56 front and surrounds with the NS-C50 centre. for $20.

I look at the specs at those two links and it means jack poo poo to me. They're bigger drivers, but the frequency range seems similar just higher (or lower, see i have no clue). Is it worth it? Can the YHT-1840 drive them sufficiently?

Should I not bother and eventually invest in something else? Or for $20 is it a no brainer, but still build up to invest in something else later?

The sub in this case is the original NS-SWP40 unpowered, and they're not offering me a powered sub but i haven't worried about the Bass because it seems to be fine for the room I'm in.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

hambeet posted:

Hey I've probably got a dumb question about speakers. is this the right place?

I've got a basic 5.1 setup at home, Yamaha YHT1840. It works good. Well we're happy with it.

I've been using the speakers that come with it. They're NS-B40 Fronts & Surrounds and the NS-C40 centre.

I've had someone offer me these NS-E56 front and surrounds with the NS-C50 centre. for $20.

I look at the specs at those two links and it means jack poo poo to me. They're bigger drivers, but the frequency range seems similar just higher (or lower, see i have no clue). Is it worth it? Can the YHT-1840 drive them sufficiently?

Should I not bother and eventually invest in something else? Or for $20 is it a no brainer, but still build up to invest in something else later?

The sub in this case is the original NS-SWP40 unpowered, and they're not offering me a powered sub but i haven't worried about the Bass because it seems to be fine for the room I'm in.

I'd say skip this because it's not worth the bother to replace one set of out of the box speakers with another similar set for marginal gains. Your receiver looks like it's the HTR-2071 - it is pretty decent, and would do a great job of driving much better speakers, should you decide to invest in them one day.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Incessant Excess posted:

Rear speakers are not overrated, that positioning is basically ideal for the white chair (and still not terrible for the couch), and speaker wire can be hidden with 40 bucks worth of this poo poo: https://www.legrand.us/

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Recommend me a thing, y’all.

I have a pair of Axiom bookshelf speakers that I use as my computer speakers. The receiver I had driving them (Pioneer VSX-1021) gave up the ghost today. (Apparently they have a known issue where their DSP chips bite the dust rendering the entire thing useless. The mfr repair program for this issue ended in December. Figures.)

I have a lovely stereo in a box receiver that was lying around to tide me over, but they’re decent speakers and the lovely receiver can’t really drive them at reasonably loud volumes.

I need: HDMI, optical Toslink, or USB (least preferred) input. 2 channels of amplification.

This will never drive a TV or multichannel sound, it’s purely for 2 channel. Mix of games, movies, and music. I’m not mastering recordings here, and I’m not going to pretend rock concerts haven’t destroyed my finer hearing, so I don’t need fancy. I’d prefer to spend as little as possible.

Any thoughts, or is it pretty much “find whatever the lowest end Yamaha/Sony two channel setup”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If this is for near field you probably don't need a ton of power. There's 2 channel HDMI receivers like the Denon 800H, Marantz NR1200 or Onkyo 8270 but they're probably more expensive than you want [$400-600]. That said I have an 8270 and love it. I'd say Sony probably isn't a great bet anymore, not the worst or anything but I'd prefer a Yamaha, Onkyo or Denon. Your real best option would be trying to find something a year or two old used but classified shopping during plague times seems like a hassle and Accessories4less has pretty thin stock right now.