Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, from what I've heard Easy (or Classic) mode just isn't fun unless you just want to get to the cutscenes. Normal can feel pretty brutal at times until you get used to the combat, but once you do it becomes very satisfying. At least when you die it puts you right before the fight, even if the load time feels long when you're rarin' to get revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The soundtrack should be out today right?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Eggnogium posted:

Yeah I never once used those. Did start spending more time in punisher mode around the time I got to HQ.

Reno was the boss fight that got me to take Punisher mode seriously. I didn't really bother with Counter Stance until the final boss fight on Normal, but it put in work on Hard Mode.

Never once used Parry in either run.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

https://music.apple.com/us/album/final-fantasy-vii-remake-original-soundtrack/1513522478

Someone posted an Apple Music link, can’t find it on Spotify yet. This looks incomplete though? Looks like about 2 discs, only gets to about chapter 10 in the game.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ace Transmuter posted:

Reno was the boss fight that got me to take Punisher mode seriously. I didn't really bother with Counter Stance until the final boss fight on Normal, but it put in work on Hard Mode.

Never once used Parry in either run.

Parry is sorta fun on Cloud, but once you put it on Tifa, you'll never take it off. Giving her Parry and Deadly Dodge is just :sickos:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/final-fantasy-vii-remake-original-soundtrack/1513522478

Someone posted an Apple Music link, can’t find it on Spotify yet. This looks incomplete though? Looks like about 2 discs, only gets to about chapter 10 in the game.

It got taken off Apple music quickly, hopefully it gets added back.

I heard it's available in Spotify Japan, but not over here yet.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Katt posted:

What was your favorite part about 8? Watching those GF animations ten thousand times or being limited to basic attacks because all the good spells were needed for junctions.

My favorite part about 8 is figuring out how to effectively use the GF skills to crack the game over my knee, so I have plenty of powerful spells and abilities and barely ever summon GFs.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, if you're relying on summoning GFs to carry you through fights, you're not taking full advantage of the junction system.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Katt posted:

I started with the normal difficulty which lasted up until rocket turrets started combo hitting characters for 100% of their HP in 1 second out of nowhere. I switched to easy which turned the game into a lets play of FF7R but where you had to mash buttons to progress.

Which chapter was this happening?

Not to doubt you or anything but my big problem with rocket turrets was how they could suddenly blindside you in the middle of a casting animation and just waste your atb, which yeah was extremely annoying but they weren't particularly huge damage threats even when they'd chain a bunch of shots at the same character.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Which chapter was this happening?

Not to doubt you or anything but my big problem with rocket turrets was how they could suddenly blindside you in the middle of a casting animation and just waste your atb, which yeah was extremely annoying but they weren't particularly huge damage threats even when they'd chain a bunch of shots at the same character.

In the second reactor I think? One rocket would do something like 40% of a characters HP per hit and some fights had multiple ones targeting the same player.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, I know that's when they first show up but I never had any experience of them just deleting a character, they were more annoying than deadly tbh. It's not like you can really be that under-levelled either so i've no clue why they were wrecking you..

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Also that thing where I build stagger on a boss and I'm like "Once I reach max stagger I'm going to blow all cooldowns to kick your rear end"

Then you reach max stagger and the boss is like "lol next phase" and instantly sets the stagger bar back to zero. :negative:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anakha posted:

It got taken off Apple music quickly, hopefully it gets added back.

I heard it's available in Spotify Japan, but not over here yet.

Yeah it had half the track list and was slowly getting more added. I think someone flipped the switch too early.

Surprisingly every single song has the composer listed! Some of them are not who I expected.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Katt posted:

Then you reach max stagger and the boss is like "lol next phase" and instantly sets the stagger bar back to zero. :negative:
in most cases that's intentional, the stagger gauge on some bosses is basically the next phase trigger

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

in most cases that's intentional, the stagger gauge on some bosses is basically the next phase trigger

A-yupp-yupp. Sucks for me though because I intentionally held all my strongest stuff back while meticulously working that stagger bar.

It's like Skies of Arcadia when you set up all your torpedoes, turrets and cannons to all hit in the vulnerable phase together with an attack-up buff on.

Granted Skies of Arcadia had a different issue that each ship had a super weapon that one shotted enemy ships after a few turns and so you mostly waited for it to be ready to instantly blow up the enemy. The alternative was hitting the enemy with guns and torpedoes for 6 turns and then watch the super weapon unlock at 10% HP.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Katt posted:

A-yupp-yupp. Sucks for me though because I intentionally held all my strongest stuff back while meticulously working that stagger bar.

It's like Skies of Arcadia when you set up all your torpedoes, turrets and cannons to all hit in the vulnerable phase together with an attack-up buff on.

Granted Skies of Arcadia had a different issue that each ship had a super weapon that one shotted enemy ships after a few turns and so you mostly waited for it to be ready to instantly blow up the enemy. The alternative was hitting the enemy with guns and torpedoes for 6 turns and then watch the super weapon unlock at 10% HP.

Honestly it's really not like that at all. Everyone has different stagger threshholds and criteria so sometimes it's just a matter of hitting a boss at the right time with the right thing (Again, Rufus comes to mind, as does the Tonberry). Just pumping damage into someone can sort of raise it but if you really want to do work figure out what puts an enemy into the Pressured state and work them over from there. Bosses have phases and sometimes that's just the way it goes.

edit: I have to say I bounced off combat pretty hard early on, especially coming off Trials of Mana where you could largely avoid damage. The trick is really to get used to switching and really use everyone's stuff. I had to hold onto ATB while I was learning the system but you can do some silly things later. Magnify + any materia can change your strategy; I used mine with Barrier or Haste to gain control of the battle but you can do some serious work with the elemental materia as well. Countering is important against certain enemies (Reno) but wasteful against others. It's just about figuring out who/what does work against an enemy and exploiting it. Level up your Assess materia so you can see what that might be (max level shows you all enemies you're fighting).

Levantine fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 27, 2020

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

Parry is sorta fun on Cloud, but once you put it on Tifa, you'll never take it off. Giving her Parry and Deadly Dodge is just :sickos:
using parry on cloud doesnt drop him out of punisher mode

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Katt posted:

In the second reactor I think? One rocket would do something like 40% of a characters HP per hit and some fights had multiple ones targeting the same player.

I probably know what fights you're talking about. There's the two launchers + two flamethrower guys fight before the Crab Warden, and then there's a load of launchers and guns just before you get into the second reactor.

It really, really helps to have Lightning materia equipped for those fights, because a lot of mechanical enemies are SUPER weak to it. A single cast of lightning will usually kill one of the smaller guns, and take about half of the HP off a launcher. Barret's overcharge will usually kill one of the little guns too. So it's about opening up with moves that will eliminate as many enemies as possible as quickly as possible. Like swap to Barret, have him use Overcharge to take out a small gun, which will probably give him almost two ATB bars, which you can use to spam Lightning to take out a Launcher, and suddenly the battle is much more under control in a few seconds.

Nihilarian posted:

Strangely that has not been my experience. I read this, and then tried it out, and it seemed like every time I did a parry dodge I'd have been taken out of Punisher mode again.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

Oh. OH. :eyepop:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Strangely that has not been my experience. I read this, and then tried it out, and it seemed like every time I did a parry dodge I'd have been taken out of Punisher mode again.

You might be letting go of R1 too early. Parry-dodges let you stay in Punisher mode but if you slip up and dodge without holding R1 it'll be a regular dodge and you'll drop Punisher.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Harrow posted:

You might be letting go of R1 too early. Parry-dodges let you stay in Punisher mode but if you slip up and dodge without holding R1 it'll be a regular dodge and you'll drop Punisher.

Nah, he was doing his side-flips as opposed to his normal diving combat rolls.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, that's odd, then.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So everyone else spent ten minutes shooting up all the boxes on the shelves, right?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

yes but how many of us kept impotently swinging at them as cloud on the way back

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Harrow posted:

The fact is that Final Fantasy hasn't been turn-based in a while, and with a couple of exceptions, I'm not sure it ever wanted to be turn-based. ATB was always a halfway point between turn-based and real time and I got the feeling they'd have gone further into action much earlier if they thought they could pull it off (and/or get away with it).

I got this distinct impression as well. I’m glad that the action has finally reached the point where it’s fun(for most people), and even more glad that Bravey Default exists.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

It has everything except the last disc in the physical edition, which has the radio tunes you can collect.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arkage posted:

It has everything except the last disc in the physical edition, which has the radio tunes you can collect.

Yeah, I was sad when I noticed that, but on the other hand the rest of the soundtrack is extremely great, so I can't bitch too much.

There is great music on there that I don't even remember from the game because it fits in so perfectly with whatever happens to be going on at the time. It's an exceptional soundtrack/score. The Airbuster and JENOVA are just excellent, Seven Seconds till the End makes me feel a lot of ways about stuff (I don't think I even noticed the leitmotif when it played during gameplay), and Hollow is superb.

The remixes of the original original soundtrack are great, the new stuff is great. The correct handling of the soundtrack was a chief source of anxiety for me in the leadup to the remake and they didn't just do an acceptable job, they completely knocked it out of the loving park. OCRemix, Distant Worlds, Nobuo/The Black Mages and others did a pretty great job with a lot of the music, and then Square-Enix just said, "hold my fuckin' beer and watch this, bitches! The London Symphony Orchestra ain't got poo poo on us!"

EDIT: I will cop to slight PTSD listening to "The Most Muscular" though, gently caress that minigame right up its rear end, I got the trophies and I'm never doing that poo poo again. Still proper good music, though.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 28, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PT6A posted:

The correct handling of the soundtrack was a chief source of anxiety for me in the leadup to the remake and they didn't just do an acceptable job, they completely knocked it out of the loving park.

anakha posted:

If this game doesn't sweep the music category at all the major game awards, gently caress this gay earth.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

It's true, OP. The music is great for its own sake, but holy gently caress the first time I fought Airbuster, the music and everything just came together so beautifully down to the timing of the summon gauge and the change in music, it performed the essential function of the perfect score, which is to become more than the sum of its parts.

The interesting thing is I don't think this score cribs off much of anything else I've ever heard, and god knows plenty of critically-acclaimed scores can't say that (I'm looking at you, Star Wars...)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arkage posted:

I've heard the soundtrack is available digitally on amazon but can't find it, anyone got a link?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Oh, are we still posting hilarious babby fits over the game?

PoorRetroGamer posted:

I seriously hope Nintendo never touches Ocarina of Time to do something similar and ruin it. Better leave it at its pedestal forever because its very sad to see Final Fantasy VII destroyed and losing its classic status.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

slicing up eyeballs posted:

yes but how many of us kept impotently swinging at them as cloud on the way back

I feel attacked by this post.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Arkage posted:

I now no longer see the soundtrack on Apple Music or Spotify :( not sure if it’s just me

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It's the time ghosts loving with the soundtrack.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh, are we still posting hilarious babby fits over the game?

Funny, because OoT 3D just helped really illustrate how dated that game is. (I say, but I've never been a fan of Zelda games so I shouldn't talk)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Holy poo poo, I only realized now while listening to the soundtrack that a whole-rear end disc with 29 tracks was devoted to Chapter 9 alone.

The team really put a lot of love into making that chapter work.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

I now no longer see the soundtrack on Apple Music or Spotify :( not sure if it’s just me

I was able to buy through Apple store on my iphone no issue.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Katt posted:

What was your favorite part about 8? Watching those GF animations ten thousand times or being limited to basic attacks because all the good spells were needed for junctions.

Haha you clearly don't know how to play Final Fantasy games. That's your fault, not Square's.

EDIT so I don't come across as such a tool, FFVIII can be broken stupidly early and you'll never need to summon a single GF or use a single draw point. Playing Triple Triad lots and learning the Refine GF ability is the key to playing FFVIII.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 29, 2020

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
What a post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Clearly the intended gameplay loop