Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I still wonder how much is true and how much is studio propaganda.

I definitely feel that more than a bit of this is a dude who delivers critical success but ratings bombs accelerating, given how many projects he's become attached to and ejected from ever faster since American Gods. Off the top of my head there was Discovery which I forget if it was directly before or after AG S1, then Amazing Stories, then he was on and off of the cursed Vampire Chronicles series (in his defense, that poo poo has changed entire NETWORKS since he left, so it ain't all Fuller)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I would believe it was studio propaganda if the same thing didn't keep happening to Fuller over and over again. The guy produces some amazing TV, but even I can't figure out how he spent that much money on season 1 of American Gods. Like, season 1 was very good, but there had to be a giant pit he was literally burning money in to reach the budget he supposedly spent making those episodes because the show itself doesn't show anything resembling that kind of money.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing it has to do with Fuller's perfectionism and attention to detail. I don't know a lot about American Gods but I do know Hannibal employed a "food stylist" whose entire job was not only making the meals shown in the show look incredible but also like they probably also contained human flesh. Put a bunch of incredibly niche stuff like that, especially in something as fantastical as AG, and you got a ballooning budget and Fuller demanding $9 million per episode for Season 2 (for reference, the first season of Game of Thrones cost $6 million per ep.)

Bean counting execs are the devil, we all know, but every so often they do have a point. Case in point: Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate and most Kickstarter projects.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 27, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't even like the book American Gods because it felt like two unrelated plots jammed together with the connecting tissue being the world's most boring man. You could have easily adapted it into four solid hours.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
American Gods was so amazing even the obligatory filler episodes were great. CGI djinn jizz and all.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

married but discreet posted:

American Gods was so amazing even the obligatory filler episodes were great. CGI djinn jizz and all.

They put that in? drat

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Uhhh

https://twitter.com/augenblicknyc/status/1265325374008893447

Trailer here. Apparently this came out in 2016 in the UK only, and it's now on CBS All Access. The visual style looks like the Ugly Americans animators doing 60s Steve Ditko, which I have to admit looks visually compelling. But I don't have the heart to watch the trailer unmuted.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And for a moment I was wondering if Joss is lowkey racist or just hates him for being a jock.

Just to clarify, not only did Whedon remove most scenes relating to Cyborg, they almost entirely removed his mother from the movie, removed scenes with his father, and removed all scenes with Iris West, played by a black actress. And instead they inserted a segment involving a (white) russian family that adds nothing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

McCloud posted:

Just to clarify, not only did Whedon remove most scenes relating to Cyborg, they almost entirely removed his mother from the movie, removed scenes with his father, and removed all scenes with Iris West, played by a black actress. And instead they inserted a segment involving a (white) russian family that adds nothing.

belarus needs representation too

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tbf he did that to Chinese people in firefly

His own show

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

Tbf he did that to Chinese people in firefly

His own show

Hmm im sensing a pattern here

https://youtu.be/QyrDgEz3DR0

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I would believe it was studio propaganda if the same thing didn't keep happening to Fuller over and over again. The guy produces some amazing TV, but even I can't figure out how he spent that much money on season 1 of American Gods. Like, season 1 was very good, but there had to be a giant pit he was literally burning money in to reach the budget he supposedly spent making those episodes because the show itself doesn't show anything resembling that kind of money.

I mean, American Gods s1 has a cast of almost entirely big names, looks really good for TV, is pretty effects-heavy (with the effects being at least solid, if not movie-quality)... I can see how Fuller spent that much, and I'm fairly sure it's why season 1 whipped rear end whereas season 2 was bland as hell.

e: and honestly, I think it's some of both. Fuller's got a sort of creative ADHD and isn't exactly great with money, but it's counterbalanced by him always doing so in pursuit of making good shows, and generally leaving a project of his own volition when either the suits aren't interested in the same goal as him or there's other factors stonewalling him. (with Hannibal, for instance, the main holdup on season 4 was the fact that they wanted to do Silence of the Lambs... but Lifetime has the rights to make stuff based on the Clarice character, so it would have to either channel-hop or wait out Lifetime's license, so he just said "gently caress it" and ended the show and bailed for American Gods.)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 27, 2020

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
He wrote, produced, and filmed an entire episode and decided he didn't like it and cut it from the season. The guy makes good TV but he wastes huge amounts of money to do it.

I mean, it's possible to be a good showrunner and still stick to budgets and work with studios instead of bailing from show to show while burning your bridges behind you.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Don't forget Firefly's whole browncoat mentality is based on the Confederate 'Lost Cause'.

Also the first line of dialogue out of a black man's character is asking a white woman if she's ever been raped.

And then there was that female conman who might as well have been written by the MRA section of reddit.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Come And See posted:

Also the first line of dialogue out of a black man's character is asking a white woman if she's ever been raped.

Not the first, but certainly the most memorable, for all the wrong reasons

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Sorry, meant the first line out of that particular character. Final episode of the series, mysterious and competant bounty hunter jobs Nathan Fillion, we're a good chunk into the episode, tension is building and then... that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm guessing it has to do with Fuller's perfectionism and attention to detail. I don't know a lot about American Gods but I do know Hannibal employed a "food stylist" whose entire job was not only making the meals shown in the show look incredible but also like they probably also contained human flesh. Put a bunch of incredibly niche stuff like that, especially in something as fantastical as AG, and you got a ballooning budget and Fuller demanding $9 million per episode for Season 2 (for reference, the first season of Game of Thrones cost $6 million per ep.)

I mean literally any show that has food in it employs a food stylist, I dunno why you'd frame it as some weird niche thing. They just hired someone who is very good at it, and made it a regular part of the show to display Hannibal's proclivities.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

I hope these are all euphemisms for “he dies”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Indy suffers the same fate as Ragnar Lothbrok.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Come And See posted:

Sorry, meant the first line out of that particular character. Final episode of the series, mysterious and competant bounty hunter jobs Nathan Fillion, we're a good chunk into the episode, tension is building and then... that.

Uh.... no, that scene is Juble Early's, like, fourth scene in that episode and he has dialogue in each of the three prior to that

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

The Clowner posted:

Uh.... no, that scene is Juble Early's, like, fourth scene in that episode and he has dialogue in each of the three prior to that

Huh. I apologize. In my distaste for Firefly I tried to forget as much of it as I could. Like you said, certainly the most memorable, for all the wrong reasons.

My friends demanded I watch it and I hated every second (except for the hospital episode, that one was not bad).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Come And See posted:

That character, Book and the operative in the movie made me wonder if every black man in the Firefly universe is or was a, uh, black ops dude. I can't remember any other male black characters who'd buck that trend, but then again I haven't seen the show in years.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

can the bad guys be american this time

make nazis too to keep things relatable

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Snowman_McK posted:

There's so many insane sequences in that show that I'm sort of guessing. My pick would have been faceless hannibal. It's not the goriest scene, but I found it to be really unsettling. Especially the way Mads moves around an extremely dangerous killer with absolutely no fear or concern. Or how friendly he was with the guy he's killing in that scene.

It was a really loving good show.

Somehow that was the only scene that legit freaked me the gently caress out in that whole series

I really should give it a rewatch to see what exactly it is about that scene in particular

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yeah, this is what I meant earlier. HBOMax is buying the streaming rights to all of the future seasons of the Arrowverse shows as part of their attempts to be the go to place for DC content. Batwoman will also only stream on HBOMax.

unless there was some news I missed, Netflix still has the streaming rights to all current and future seasons of CW shows that premiered prior to the 2019-2020 season, so the Arrowverse rights are going to be split going forward

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Come And See posted:

Huh. I apologize. In my distaste for Firefly I tried to forget as much of it as I could. Like you said, certainly the most memorable, for all the wrong reasons.

My friends demanded I watch it and I hated every second (except for the hospital episode, that one was not bad).
It's shocking how overrated it is. Just kind of a tacky mediocre sci fi show. I got maybe halfway through.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

can the bad guys be american this time

make nazis too to keep things relatable

It's 2020, Americans are Nazis.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

:thejoke:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You left out the word them making your intended reading unclear :mad:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The real reason Reylo cannot be is that Rey would get a stiff neck and Kylo a bad back one year into the relationship.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's shocking how overrated it is. Just kind of a tacky mediocre sci fi show. I got maybe halfway through.

It is really weird to think how absolutely huge Firefly was for about two years. I feel like it has to be a mix of riding off peak Buffy popularity, people looking for a replacement after being burned by the Star Wars prequels, and the show being aired out of order and then cancelled immediately allowing nerds to project their preferences onto the show moreso than actually dealing with it. Mixed with an admittedly strong cast and the occasional innovative gimmicks like the Chinese words and space silence.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

In 1980, Kinski refused the lead villain role of Major Arnold Toht in Raiders of the Lost Ark, telling director Steven Spielberg, "This script is a yawn-making, boring pile of poo poo"[22] and "moronically lovely".[23]
Just learned this today and lmao

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i can't imagine spielberg trying to reign in someone like klaus kinski

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Coaaab posted:

i can't imagine spielberg trying to reign in someone like klaus kinski

Spielberg would totally take an offer of having Kinski murdered.

Better question: what would a Werner Herzog directed Indiana Jones look like?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Still not too late. Abandon these silly Indiana Jones 5 plans, get in Herzog to direct Nicholas Cage as Benjamin Jones Gates...Indie's younger brother.
He changed his name to avoid the fame of being treasure hunter named Jones and all those accusations of nepotism.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

AceOfFlames posted:

Spielberg would totally take an offer of having Kinski murdered.

Better question: what would a Werner Herzog directed Indiana Jones look like?
tonally, somewhere between aguirre and fitzcarraldo, i bet

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Still not too late. Abandon these silly Indiana Jones 5 plans, get in Herzog to direct Nicholas Cage as Benjamin Jones Gates...Indie's younger brother.
He changed his name to avoid the fame of being treasure hunter named Jones and all those accusations of nepotism.

Just have Herzog make National Treasure 3

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Here's a cool article about how they did the effects for Casper with real time hand drawn animation

https://beforesandafters.com/2020/05/28/the-real-time-hand-drawn-animatics-process-that-made-casper-possible/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Here's a cool article about how they did the effects for Casper with real time hand drawn animation

https://beforesandafters.com/2020/05/28/the-real-time-hand-drawn-animatics-process-that-made-casper-possible/

Wouldn't that be a terrible strain on the animators wrists?