Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Corto Maltese: Klingsor, you should at least wait til the second date before getting so serious, or 'Get thee behind me, Satan' - Corto, or Corto cares not for this Greek Swiss chorus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
btw, did you notice?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The most jarring thing about new Heart, to me, is how much like a standard-issue webcomic it looks. Other newer comics, even ones whose creators emerged from the deep morass of the internet, definitely look like they're more of the page than the post. Regardless of anything else that just makes it feel WEIRD. The future creeps up on us all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Discendo Vox posted:

btw, did you notice?

Hah, that's very clever.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
September 28th & 29th, 1981

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

It's interesting to see the subtle differences between the first half of the strip and the second half that Allison created for publication.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/26/00

Brenda Starr 12/29/40

I'll have to remember that pickup technique. "Hi, I'm lonely, can I kiss you?"

The ski resort at Sun Valley was brand new in 1940, having opened at the end of 1936, and was already famous as a destination for celebrities, rich folks, and movie stars to meet and ski. No doubt that's what inspired Messick to send Brenda out there.

Smokey Stover 8/4/35

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 12/29/40
I realise that air travel has changed a lot, but if your flight leaves in 20 minutes and you're still at the club and haven't even called a taxi yet, I don't think you're going to make it.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

I love the subtle slams that get put on people, like this guy caught by the father, or the banker needing help from the old woman.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Discendo Vox posted:

btw, did you notice?

... notice what, specifically? That he's part of the pre-existing art, or...?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 25, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Professor Wayne posted:

The Far Side
Belly button slipknots

That's a good gag.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 25, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Oct 15, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 15-16, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Jan 26-27, 2016)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At first I was going to ask if Dustin was doing a paid advertisement for Peloton, then I was reflecting that if I were working as a marketing manager I'd be more likely to pay Dustin not to mention my product, but then I realized that there's probably a strong overlap between bougie people who would drop money on a Peloton bike and people who think that Dustin is funny.

Given the number of people who regularly read the comic, buddy probably made a solid twelve bucks from that product placement.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mamilla is great, thanks for posting it.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I love the subtle slams that get put on people, like this guy caught by the father, or the banker needing help from the old woman.

I love the subtle suggestion the father makes with the story about him and the boy's father courting the same girl, prompting him to propose.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-TOon

Bizarro

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

btw, did you notice?

So Klingsor....oh drat...

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 15-16, 1987)

There's a fantastic parody of this story line in Pyton, the Norwegian version of MAD. Calvin and Hobbes steal the keys to the car and then paddle the kayak back to shore. Then they somehow manage to drive home with the parents stuck on the island. They also manage to buy plenty of beer on the way home and get piss drunk. IIRC the parents die of starvation.

Fun fact: over here the strip is called Tommy & Tigern (The Tiger) because the original names don't make much sense in our language. In Sweden the strip is called Kalle & Hobbe.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Zip

Dick

Duck

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Jim's Journal

Heart Of The City

Citizen Dog

Thought I'd bring back this old favorite. :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lodin posted:

There's a fantastic parody of this story line in Pyton, the Norwegian version of MAD. Calvin and Hobbes steal the keys to the car and then paddle the kayak back to shore. Then they somehow manage to drive home with the parents stuck on the island. They also manage to buy plenty of beer on the way home and get piss drunk. IIRC the parents die of starvation.

Fun fact: over here the strip is called Tommy & Tigern (The Tiger) because the original names don't make much sense in our language. In Sweden the strip is called Kalle & Hobbe.
I mean, that's halfway to the kind of stuff Calvin would think up, maybe not so much the getting drunk. (His elaborate fantasies do seem like they're completely switched off on these vacation arcs. I feel like there's some significance to that apart from "the focus of the arc is the vacation".)

It's Calvin & Hobbes in Germany by the way, and now that I think about it that's kind of weird, because German publishers have a long-standing tradition of making up names wholesale. (Or indeed changing the entire idea of a comic; the first official translation of Asterix in the 60s infamously retooled it into a right-wing narrative where brave Germans fought the nominally Roman, but overtly American-coded, occupation forces. As you Americans have taken to saying, yikes.)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

One thing the art style is bad at is getting ages across. These two are supposed to be teenagers, but they look like they're in their mid-30s instead.

gently caress off with this passive-aggressive bullshit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Calvin getting drunk, a staple of trashy T-shirts you could buy on boardwalks at towns up and down the east coast in the early 90's

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

amigolupus posted:

These two are supposed to be teenagers, but they look like they're in their mid-30s instead.
Finland

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This one didn't age great.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Adam

BC----OUR IX LIVES

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think the reason I consider Jim's Journal and Cul de Sac as my personal favorites is that they take supremely mundane things/topics, and manage to make it humorous (at least to me) without wacky embellishment for the most part.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i’m ridiculously happy to see jim’s journal back again. it’s so chill

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BigDave posted:

Jim's Journal

Dang, Jim's Mom, isn't Jim still in high school? (I feel like I've seen lockers in the background.)

I like Jim's Journal, by the way, and I'm glad you're posting it.

Professor Wayne posted:

Executioner understudies

The Far Side in general is good, but this one in particular tickles me today.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 25, 2022

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
"Jim's Journal" is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Modesty Blaise

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

You barely have time to have sex. One of you would have to quit your job. Toni would have to be off duty for a significant amount of time. You hate the only kid you know. You pawn her off on everyone possible. You live with a dude who committed insurance fraud. That same dude enjoys torturing children and coworkers. You don't have a room for a baby (they'll probably throw the baby in Shannon's illegal room, where it can also get carbon monoxide poisoning).

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Julet Esqu posted:

Dang, Jim's Mom, isn't Jim still in high school? (I feel like I've seen lockers in the background.)

I like Jim's Journal, by the way, and I'm glad you're posting it.

Thanks! And yes, the first anthology is Jim finishing high school / going to college.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

me too monty

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Wah-wahhhhh

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Julet Esqu posted:

I personally will not hear this talk of shortening the Mary Worth Victory Lap. It's an institution!
Edit: Checked again! The victory lap was last week! Boo!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Old Dude and Fat Dude on the Phone

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

All I can see in the last panel is that dog having a propeller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Der Shovel posted:

All I can see in the last panel is that dog having a propeller.

Same

https://i.imgur.com/lnxajXa.mp4