Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Rick posted:

Hertz was a much better rental experience for me than Enterprise but because of the price difference, I only went to Hertz if I had a company discount.

Well I had a really bad experience with Hertz last November so there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lambert posted:

Good companies go bankrupt all the time. I don't think there's much need to mourn an international car rental service megacorp.

Who is mourning itt? Wtf it sucks to get fired

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Well I had a really bad experience with Hertz last November so there.

Could you say it still Hertz?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Burt Sexual posted:

I use National probably 10 times a year, never a problem. Good rates. It’s weird to see good companies go down at no fault of their own imo.

National is only in airports here. Enterprise has an out of airport monopoly now unless Hertz comes out of this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rick posted:

National is only in airports here. Enterprise has an out of airport monopoly now unless Hertz comes out of this.

There’s still Avis/Budget, isn’t there?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yes and like 15 other car rental companies at least here at LAX.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Duckman2008 posted:

Agreed on the company part, still a bummer for whomever worked there and is losing their job.

In normal times you can do the yeah, they could have looked ahead and gotten out (not saying you are implying this btw). def no way to anticipate Covid coming in and crushing companies like this.

So really, all in getting at is that yeah, we expected companies like JC Penny to go bankrupt. But to see it hit companies that I assume were decently run, and have employees get hacked as a result, it just loving sucks.

Should have gotten fewer lattes and avocado toast though.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Should have gotten fewer lattes and avocado toast though.

But that'll put all the coffee shops and artisanal toast cafes out of business.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Gotta remember tho a lotta those rental companies live unde one umbrella. Like I know national/Alamo are one because they sometimes share employees at smaller airports.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Gotta remember tho a lotta those rental companies live unde one umbrella. Like I know national/Alamo are one because they sometimes share employees at smaller airports.

Car companies are eusocial?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's restructuring bankrupt not :rip: bankrupt

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I didn't remember them, although, looking them up they're so far away (on opposite edges of the city) that they might as well not be there. So yeah I hope Hertz comes out of this because Enterprise sucks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Using sixt in Europe was great. They have a minor presence here in the US with a slow expansion going on. Best rental company I’ve used with great rates. If you live in an area they’re located in give them a shot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

George H.W. oval office posted:

Using sixt in Europe was great. They have a minor presence here in the US with a slow expansion going on. Best rental company I’ve used with great rates. If you live in an area they’re located in give them a shot.
I used it in SF last year and it was light-years better than the other big companies

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
It is with good reason that Hertz went bankrupt while the other car rental companies are still solvent. They were owned by private equity for a while, but you can't even blame that because everything they've done since then has been pretty boneheaded. They had a bad CEO, they alienated a bunch of employees by relocating the corporate office, they completely bungled the acquisition of Dollar Thrifty, they had a big accounting scandal that led to executives being sued, Carl Icahn got involved and all along the whole operation rested on a lot of financial chicanery.

Matt Levine posted:

Why did car-rental company Hertz Global Holdings Inc. file for bankruptcy on Friday? Bloomberg and the Wall Street Journal both have good narrative accounts of the business missteps that Hertz made that put it in this position, but the simple immediate answer is that Hertz had basically taken out a margin loan against its cars, the coronavirus crushed the value of those cars, its lenders issued a margin call, and Hertz didn’t have enough money to meet it. So the lenders can seize the cars to sell them off, and Hertz filed for bankruptcy to delay that.

I mean Hertz doesn’t put it that way. Technically the story is that Hertz finances its cars using asset-backed securities: An entity called Hertz Vehicle Financing LLC buys the cars and leases them to Hertz, and HVF gets the money to buy the cars from an entity called Hertz Vehicle Financing II LP, and HVF II gets the money by selling securities (backed by the cars and the lease payments) to investors. But the lease payment—that Hertz makes to HVF, which passes it to HVF II, which passes it to the ABS investors—is variable, and it goes up when the value of the used cars in Hertz’s fleet goes down.

The cars in Hertz’s fleet are the ABS investors’ collateral; Hertz can keep their money because the value of the cars should be enough to cover their debt. Or that is the usual idea. During the pandemic, the value of used rental cars has plummeted: No one is buying used cars, so demand is down, and no one is renting cars, so supply is way up. The ABS investors are undercollateralized—their cars are worth less than they’re supposed to be, putting the debt at risk—so they effectively issued a margin call: Hertz has to pay more in operating lease payments to protect the ABS investors from the declining collateral value. Hertz declined to do that, so the ABS investors get to seize the cars.

They'll probably be fine in the end, if for no other reason than that their creditors really have no interest in actually taking ownership of Hertz's cars. "Own a bunch of assets that nobody else wants" can be a pretty effective financial strategy sometimes.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Budget used to be my go-to for rentals, but the local franchisee has short hours and lovely selections. Kinda sad considering I had the best experiences with their ATL-area locations.

Rick posted:

I didn't remember them, although, looking them up they're so far away (on opposite edges of the city) that they might as well not be there. So yeah I hope Hertz comes out of this because Enterprise sucks.

Around here, Enterprise has the bigger selection and the cheapest rates. But their CC holds are annoying as hell to deal with. Instead of simply holding the deposit itself and deducting the cost of the rental from the deposit, Enterprise holds the deposit and the cost of the rental, only letting go of the deposit days after return. You wind up with an extra $100+ hold you could be doing something else with.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

I did 6 weeks straight of COVID ICU until I got infected myself. Funko and their lovely dead eyed plastic can rot in hell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/danpriceseattle/status/1265677402467979265?s=21

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/laurenthomas/status/1268514372042833925

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

:yeshaha:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

As an employee of a security company with many Simon properties, (not a guard), can they all please rot in hell.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Quad posted:

As an employee of a security company with many Simon properties, (not a guard), can they all please rot in hell.

As someone who once worked in a mall when basically Simon took it over, :same:

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Quad posted:

Stories please

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Speaking of The Gap...hoo boy: The Gap posts a record $932 million loss

They're also shuttering Hill City, which I guess was a men's Athleta?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

Speaking of The Gap...hoo boy: The Gap posts a record $932 million loss

They're also shuttering Hill City, which I guess was a men's Athleta?

poo poo. Right when I finally found a place that sells 28 inch inseam pants.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

"I'm not the one bleeding from the neck, you're the one bleeding from the neck!"

"Nuh-uh!"

*proceeds to resume furiously stabbing each other in the neck.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

poo poo. Right when I finally found a place that sells 28 inch inseam pants.

Hey shorty, JC Penny's sells a 28 in inseam iirc. Oh, well, maybe that wont be of much help to you now.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Quad posted:

I worked in a tiny store at a Simon mall and since it was so small there was no need for more than one employee at a time. I had a family emergency and had to close early, went to the management office and let them know why I was closing up and they said it was okay. End of the month came and they added a fine to the rent that month for not abiding to the mall hours. gently caress them.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

uli2000 posted:

Hey shorty, JC Penny's sells a 28 in inseam iirc. Oh, well, maybe that wont be of much help to you now.

I wonder if COVID will make places like H&M really start investing in body scanning technology for fit like these guys. Otherwise, as usual people below 170 cm like me will get the shaft forever. :(

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

OK so it's obviously not as convenient as just getting a pair of pants ready to go right off the shelf...but you do know that tailors exist, and pants can be hemmed, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SO DEMANDING posted:

OK so it's obviously not as convenient as just getting a pair of pants ready to go right off the shelf...but you do know that tailors exist, and pants can be hemmed, right?

Yeah, a lot easier than getting someone to stretch a pair of slacks out to a 36.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've spent my life having to get basically all my pants hemmed, since nobody makes them assuming you're 5'3"(no matter which gender's department you're shopping in - even in the women's department, petite sizes are surprisingly rare). Just buy whatever fits your waist and go hem from there.

If you have a Uniqlo near you they'll hem their jeans in-store after you buy them, although that doesn't help right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

90s Solo Cup posted:

Budget used to be my go-to for rentals, but the local franchisee has short hours and lovely selections. Kinda sad considering I had the best experiences with their ATL-area locations.

Around here, Enterprise has the bigger selection and the cheapest rates. But their CC holds are annoying as hell to deal with. Instead of simply holding the deposit itself and deducting the cost of the rental from the deposit, Enterprise holds the deposit and the cost of the rental, only letting go of the deposit days after return. You wind up with an extra $100+ hold you could be doing something else with.

Yeah it's the worst. At some point my bank just started hiding these charges in a "temporary authorizations" area and not counting it against the balance until it clears. But they didn't always do that and the first time this happened to me was on my first vacation and I'm suddenly several hundreds of miles away from home with no money on my card which meant I had to put my room on debit which did a temporary hold too giving me like 20 in spending money, having to learn that lesson the hard way.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, a lot easier than getting someone to stretch a pair of slacks out to a 36.

Have you considered getting your legs hemmed?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rick posted:

Yeah it's the worst. At some point my bank just started hiding these charges in a "temporary authorizations" area and not counting it against the balance until it clears.

Doesn’t that entirely defeat the point of the authorization?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn’t that entirely defeat the point of the authorization?

I am assuming at some point if not resolved it becomes a full charge, but I've never had it go on that long.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
J. Crew seems to love 28 inseams, but that might not help much in another 6 months or so.

AceOfFlames posted:

I wonder if COVID will make places like H&M really start investing in body scanning technology for fit like these guys. Otherwise, as usual people below 170 cm like me will get the shaft forever. :(

I finally got an order I put into MTailor using a body scan from a couple of months ago. The jeans seem...okay. It fits at my natural waist instead of below the waist like I usually wear them. That looks better, but it’s going to take some getting used to. The length is perfect though.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Rick posted:

Yeah it's the worst. At some point my bank just started hiding these charges in a "temporary authorizations" area and not counting it against the balance until it clears. But they didn't always do that and the first time this happened to me was on my first vacation and I'm suddenly several hundreds of miles away from home with no money on my card which meant I had to put my room on debit which did a temporary hold too giving me like 20 in spending money, having to learn that lesson the hard way.

Back in college there was a Shell gas station near my girlfriend's house that would put something like a $100 hold on the card, which I of course didn't have that full amount. It would then decline my card so I couldn't actually get gas, except the hold would still be there so I couldn't use my card at all until I went to the bank the next day to get the hold taken off. The entire system seems dumb as poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rick posted:

I am assuming at some point if not resolved it becomes a full charge, but I've never had it go on that long.

Sure, but what if you’ve filled the card then? The whole point of an authorization is to reserve some of the balance to make sure that an equal charge will go through at a later time. No?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I always go inside and pre-pay, partly out of paranoia about getting hit with a card skimmer and partly to keep those authorization holds off my cards.

Rick posted:

I had a charge from a utility company listed as a temp hold for so long that the hold finally fell off and the amount returned to my account. Someone must have noticed because the following day, the charge appeared for a second time, albeit it finally went through.