Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So you can only play it if you have fallout 1st? This is Bethesda, that seems working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dravs posted:

So you can only play it if you have fallout 1st? This is Bethesda, that seems working as intended.

it is turned off for everyone.

Small animals were not spawning on public servers and haven't for a couple of weeks I guess.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Small animals were not spawning on public servers and haven't for a couple of weeks I guess.

No wonder why I couldn't do the Vox Syrenger challenge!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Hootington posted:

Fasnacht has been turned off due to small animals not spawning on public servers.
:discourse:

Faschnacht is canceled for now and will be rerun at a later date once they figure out why critters haven't been correctly spawning since the pre-Wastelanders patch.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

:discourse:

Faschnacht is canceled for now and will be rerun at a later date once they figure out why critters haven't been correctly spawning since the pre-Wastelanders patch.

It worked for me earlier so I have my display. Mask, and mug. :)

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I was wondering why there were all these animal in the challenges that I've never seen before.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

VRViperII posted:

I had the same thought. FO4 survival is brutal. I came to FO76 after becoming god of the boston wasteland and thought the difficulty was a refreshing light romp. /humblebrag

I did a bunch of no-death challenges in FO4 survival, and in 76 I almost exclusively die to forgetting that robots explode.

On another note, I just found that church where there's a note written just after the war about how they've taken in lots of children and are running out of food, and then inside the church basement there's a wendigo. That was the darkest environmental storytelling I've seen since Fallout: New Vegas.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Chamale posted:

I did a bunch of no-death challenges in FO4 survival, and in 76 I almost exclusively die to forgetting that robots explode.

On another note, I just found that church where there's a note written just after the war about how they've taken in lots of children and are running out of food, and then inside the church basement there's a wendigo. That was the darkest environmental storytelling I've seen since Fallout: New Vegas.

Where is that? Can't say I've found it

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

It worked for me earlier so I have my display. Mask, and mug. :)

I was playing and the first one popped. Hopped into a public server to do it. Didn’t even know it was coming today. It was lots of fun.

Waited an hour for the next one to go, and nothing.
:-(

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Well, with fasnacht delayed I guess I’ll probably do more mole genocide. I want that scorchbeast head so bad now!

Also I ended up with an extra mounted mothman plan (iirc it’s rare-ish), so I’ll probably offer any extra plans for free to PC goons at the end of this event.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just ran into an opposum in the ash heap, which is one I am pretty sure was missing (didn't see one next to that hotel south of the Wayward earlier today).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://youtu.be/FbxaEJkQm6I

So the animals not spawning has to do with the servers disabling certain spawns if that world has been up for a long time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mr Hootington posted:

Where is that? Can't say I've found it

Haven Church, in the far eastern part of the map.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Mr Hootington posted:

https://youtu.be/FbxaEJkQm6I

So the animals not spawning has to do with the servers disabling certain spawns if that world has been up for a long time.

ah i figured something like this was up

i built my camp near charleston railstop and when im on a private instance i have like 3-5 random settlers hanging around my settlement and critters and when i go on public its pretty much completely empty

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

:negative:

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

That made me have to check Steam to see if that was true.

Even funnier is the top user-defined tag for the service being "captalism."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Discospawn posted:

That made me have to check Steam to see if that was true.

I made the screenshot. It's real.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I made the screenshot. It's real.
Hm, weird. Maybe the Top Seller tag is region or user-specific, or maybe a dozen people bought annual subscriptions within the same 10 minutes and briefly rocketed it to the top of the Steam list. Didn't show the tag for me and only shows a little over 300 reviews.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

They will make billions with a skyrim 1st. This is only the elder scrolls online game beta test after all.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Discospawn posted:

Hm, weird. Maybe the Top Seller tag is region or user-specific, or maybe a dozen people bought annual subscriptions within the same 10 minutes and briefly rocketed it to the top of the Steam list. Didn't show the tag for me and only shows a little over 300 reviews.
If you ever bought F1st at some point, the Top Selling on the front page might not show stuff you bought. If you click on See More at the bottom, that list will include things you paid for

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Discospawn posted:

steam is kinda random with how it surfaces that stuff. i saw it on the front page.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tenzarin posted:

They will make billions with a skyrim 1st. This is only the elder scrolls online game beta test after all.

dont anyone tell them about elder scrolls online

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
ESO isnt elder scrolls.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tenzarin posted:

ESO isnt elder scrolls.

And any Fallout after 2 isn't Fallout, we know.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

ESO isnt elder scrolls.

It has good quests. decent combat and fun characters so you are technically correct.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Maybe you mean decent combat for an MMO but after trying it for like an hour oooof I would take Oblivion combat over that mess

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hello,
I would like to tell you about the three ornate mole miner pails I opened tonight and the 3 mounted tick plans I received from them.

Sincerely,
Me

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I wasted 10k caps making miner pails and then I realized player vending was still disabled and I wouldn't be able to make that money back fast.

On the bright side I was able the drain the atoms off my bethesda.net account for the grognak bundle and I can never use the bethesda launcher ever again.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I went through 500 presents worth of caps and only got the radstag knife and the insurgent hat, which looks like a black smurf cap.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
They posted an update about fasnacht:
"We have a fix for the issue that caused us to delay Fasnacht Parade. We plan to release it and re-enable the event around 10:00 a.m. ET tomorrow, May 27.
Once the event is available again, we will extend the end-date to Tuesday, June 9.
Keep an eye out for a free bundle of goodies that you can claim starting on Tuesday, June 2"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

unfortunately for bethesda they have now decided to compete with the pso2 pc launch and i only have time for one lovely out of date game

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Maybe you mean decent combat for an MMO but after trying it for like an hour oooof I would take Oblivion combat over that mess

No I mean drastically better than any mainline TES game has ever had.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

If I can't sneak archer my way through it without ever being seen by 90% of enemies then it absolutely does not

EDIT: or that thing where you make every bandit fight each other until only one is alive then just go kill that guy in one hit

Orv
May 4, 2011
Neither of those are combat. When you gotta click a sword on a mans or a monster TESO is infinitely better than half hour boss nerf slap sessions.

I will fully grant if you want to just play a sneak archer then no it's not for you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Orv posted:

No I mean drastically better than any mainline TES game has ever had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-RwdLS1eI

Omg is so bad. Look at this guys this is how you play elder scrolls.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Serious question does any MMO have combat that doesnt eventually look like someone testing a dozen particle effects at once while looking at cooldown timers

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You don't have time to look at cooldown timers in eso because you got to make sure you are light attack animation canceling every spell you cast so you can do the mad deepzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Serious question does any MMO have combat that doesnt eventually look like someone testing a dozen particle effects at once while looking at cooldown timers

There have been a few attempts at more action oriented combat - TERA, Guild Wars 2, ArcheAge, mostly Eastern ones - and some have succeeded fairly decently but they all pretty much turn into ground_decal.vfx eventually.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I've just recently started getting into this (currently lv.17) and I had a few newbie questions:

1. I love hunting for junk to scrap, but just like FO4 it seems like the ingredients you need for mods (adhesive, screws, etc) are intentionally scarce. Since I'm still leveling I'm always hesitant to upgrade my current weapon for fear of immediately finding a better one but then being unable to mod it because I just blew all my rare scrap on the gun I won't be using. Is it a viable strategy to just stockpile the scarce stuff until I become high enough level to find good legendary loot?

2. Is there some reliable way to check which level you're expected to be to do a given quest? There's no formal quest levels or anything like that from what I've seen, and it seems like just following a quest chain can take you to areas you're not even remotely prepared to handle (like the Free States part of the main quest where I got to go to Harper's Ferry at lv. 15 and fight lv. 68 Scorched and lv. 40 turrets). I've noticed some interior locations have an expected level designation you can see as you enter, but that's about it.

3. I'm currently playing the game on my partner's account, but I'll be getting my own as soon as well. If my Bethesda account is already tied to my Steam account (which I assume it is, since I've previously been using it to access the "official" mod store in FO4, which I own on Steam), would I be correct in assuming that I could play the game via Steam even if I bought the game via a (discounted) Bethesda launcher key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Comrade Koba posted:

I've just recently started getting into this (currently lv.17) and I had a few newbie questions:

1. I love hunting for junk to scrap, but just like FO4 it seems like the ingredients you need for mods (adhesive, screws, etc) are intentionally scarce. Since I'm still leveling I'm always hesitant to upgrade my current weapon for fear of immediately finding a better one but then being unable to mod it because I just blew all my rare scrap on the gun I won't be using. Is it a viable strategy to just stockpile the scarce stuff until I become high enough level to find good legendary loot?

2. Is there some reliable way to check which level you're expected to be to do a given quest? There's no formal quest levels or anything like that from what I've seen, and it seems like just following a quest chain can take you to areas you're not even remotely prepared to handle (like the Free States part of the main quest where I got to go to Harper's Ferry at lv. 15 and fight lv. 68 Scorched and lv. 40 turrets). I've noticed some interior locations have an expected level designation you can see as you enter, but that's about it.

3. I'm currently playing the game on my partner's account, but I'll be getting my own as soon as well. If my Bethesda account is already tied to my Steam account (which I assume it is, since I've previously been using it to access the "official" mod store in FO4, which I own on Steam), would I be correct in assuming that I could play the game via Steam even if I bought the game via a (discounted) Bethesda launcher key?

1. you'll be drowning in scrap eventually, especially if you're thorough in looting. Go to your inventory, junk section, press the command that gives you "component view" and highlight those that you want to be notified of in the world (by a magnifying glass icon next to the object name). I suggest aluminium, screws, springs and gears, nuclear waste, black titanium, ballistic fiber and crystal and fiberglass too if you're into energy weapons, everything else is common enough that you can just go on a looting spree whenever you're low on them and come back with a hundred or so. I never had shortages of anything except aluminum, screws, ballistic fiber and black titanium honestly. Adhesive is a LOT less rare than in FO4, in my experience. I've started selling my crap in bulk lately because my stash was full, despite me repairing weapons like a madman and stuffing them with every mod I can, I still had more than 300 pieces of everything (except ballistic fiber and black titanium, those are drat rare).

2. just check where the quest sends you and you'll have an idea of the mobs' levels in that area (note: for areas without an upper cap, if some high-level player passed there recently before you arrived, you'll find mobs leveled to them, which can mean lvl 60 or more... be careful)

and remember that around lvl 20-25, if you've got good perks and gear, you can start punching WAY above your weight especially if you rely on stealth or critical hits, I used to regularly murder lvl 30-35 mobs around then.

3. steam as far as I know is a separate thing, a while ago they gave away free steam keys for those who had their Bethesda and Steam accounts linked, but I think unless you bought in that period you're out of luck? Someone else can probably give a better answer here

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 27, 2020