Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

Thinking about applying for an air safety inspector job for the airlines. But first I have to redo my entire resume in their byzanitine format. Why is the government like this? Would the whole thing just be an exercise in screaming "there's a less stupid way to do this!"?

You should see it from the INSIDE.

It’s like a clown car of failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The Slaughter posted:

Thinking about applying for an air safety inspector job for the airlines. But first I have to redo my entire resume in their byzanitine format. Why is the government like this? Would the whole thing just be an exercise in screaming "there's a less stupid way to do this!"?

Actually, they won't change their job application system, because if you're already frustrated at the applying-for-a-job stage, you absolutely will not last long as a Federal employee and they should've just hired someone else anyway

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Ask Me About Air Traffic Control: Why is the government like this?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I've been hired for one of those jobs. I'm actually amazed that the one shows not hired. I think that's the first time there has been any sort of change in status in under 6 months.

If you're applying for the same job types it gets easier as you can just update forms and poo poo. It's still an annoying mess and you get pretty much zero feedback and are just left in the dark about anything that's happening with the hiring process.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rincey posted:

Actually, they won't change their job application system, because if you're already frustrated at the applying-for-a-job stage, you absolutely will not last long as a Federal employee and they should've just hired someone else anyway

Yeah, I figured it was the first test.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just got the email that says we're going 5 on 5 off starting June 7th. I was expecting it because of the weather, still sucks. One of the reasons they're giving for it is because of prime time leave. Who the gently caress is going to be using leave right now? Apparently several airlines are planning to increase flights starting in June too. Because I'm sure that the demand will be there since passengers are only down 95% right now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Glad I wasn’t on the schedule yesterday.

:confuoot:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Glad I wasn’t on the schedule yesterday.

:confuoot:

Did that get in the building?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Did that get in the building?

No, but I’m pretty sure all the cars in the parking lot were toast. It got into some of the ancillary buildings.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

No, but I’m pretty sure all the cars in the parking lot were toast. It got into some of the ancillary buildings.

I'd be so pissed if my car got flooded at work. Hail is super likely at both facilities I've worked at and I've accepted that it's inevitable, but flooding? I assume that has happened before?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I'd be so pissed if my car got flooded at work. Hail is super likely at both facilities I've worked at and I've accepted that it's inevitable, but flooding? I assume that has happened before?

Not in anyone’s memory. Past couple days were pretty wet even by south Florida standards, and Miami’s flooding troubles are getting worse.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Not in anyone’s memory. Past couple days were pretty wet even by south Florida standards, and Miami’s flooding troubles are getting worse.

What you're insinuating is extremely illegal in Florida...

You have a Tesla, right?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1221176639339425792?s=20

You know what you have to do.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:magical:

I had water roll over the hood of my volt once from an unexpectedly deep parking lot exit. That scared me more than the time I felt my Camaro float.

Sadly, neither of those stories are STDH. I wish they were.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
So I did a thing.

I'm part of a private subreddit for my old career field and see how much support there is on there for members of a specific career. In lovely times, it's nice having a semi-private place to vent, or talk about issues we face (like our schedules, leave, etc)

I wanted to recreate this for ATC so I created a private subreddit for controllers called r/2152. If you're on here and want to be on there, let me know. I've already added Yenko & Fknlo (against their wishes)

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

TangoFox posted:

So I did a thing.

I'm part of a private subreddit for my old career field and see how much support there is on there for members of a specific career. In lovely times, it's nice having a semi-private place to vent, or talk about issues we face (like our schedules, leave, etc)

I wanted to recreate this for ATC so I created a private subreddit for controllers called r/2152. If you're on here and want to be on there, let me know. I've already added Yenko & Fknlo (against their wishes)

I've lurked there for years, May as well.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Alright day 2 of distance basics, my instructors are very pleasant, they made me change The Crimson Ghost picture that was my Zoom profile picture, this is so many acronyms.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mollymauk posted:

Alright day 2...

...this is so many acronyms.

:allears:

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Mollymauk posted:

Alright day 2 of distance basics, my instructors are very pleasant, they made me change The Crimson Ghost picture that was my Zoom profile picture, this is so many acronyms.
My favorite was always MANPADS.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

Do you actually do the fow-er, fife pronunciations?

JohnClark posted:

My favorite was always MANPADS.

Haven't gotten to the missile(?) section yet.

Mollymauk fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 10, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mollymauk posted:

Niner yes, but the others no. There’s a percentage of people who use fife, but I’ve never heard fow-er, in the academy or otherwise.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Niner yes, but the others no. There’s a percentage of people who use fife, but I’ve never heard fow-er, in the academy or otherwise.

Shrug.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

I like to say tree

e: what is this horseshit though

if i heard someone call in "Skyhawk setteseven pantafive bissotwo bissotwo novenine" i'd think they were having a stroke

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 10, 2020

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Mollymauk posted:

Trigger warning that poo poo. There was actually a sup at ZJX that would fail people on check rides for not doing FOWER, FIFE, and TREE.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Trigger warning that poo poo. There was actually a sup at ZJX that would fail people on check rides for not doing FOWER, FIFE, and TREE.

My bravoh.

Got my first of 5 block tests before the final overall test tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Oh no my instructor is a Jordan Peterson guy.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Mollymauk posted:

Oh no my instructor is a Jordan Peterson guy.

How did that even come up?

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

SaltPig posted:

Held up 12 rules said he was reading it and that it's a great book then told us when he finished it. Also told us to read David Deida, who I don't know, but looking at his wiki also seems like he sucks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SaltPig posted:

Rule number one of Jordan Peterson club is: talk incessantly about Jordan Peterson club.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

PT6A posted:

Rule number one of Jordan Peterson club is: talk incessantly about Jordan Peterson club.

In the pilot world we have a special word to describe people like this. We call them assholes.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
He left a legal zoom tab for a separation agreement visible when screen sharing today, so the Jordan Peterson thing for newly divorced guy is making sense.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KodiakRS posted:

In the pilot world we have a special word to describe people like this. We call them assholes.

I don't know how it works with ATC, but, yeah, the pilot world seems to be divided between really cool people, and complete prick CHUD motherfuckers.

One of my co-workers was talking about the Protocols of the Elders of Zion when drunk at a party once! Fun!!! (He is also a Jordan Peterson fan, for what it's worth)

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Anyone got any tips for memorizing the name, designator and recognizable features for 50 different aircraft?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

be a huge airplane dork from the age of 7

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

be a huge airplane dork from the age of 7

Four, but otherwise accurate.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MrYenko posted:

Four, but otherwise accurate.

I lived underneath the CVG approach path and I’d sit around with my dad and he’d point out all the types

My favorite were the 737-200s with the little sausage engines

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

I lived underneath the CVG approach path and I’d sit around with my dad and he’d point out all the types

My favorite were the 737-200s with the little sausage engines

Its so much harder to do this these days though.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

hobbesmaster posted:

Its so much harder to do this these days though.

You basically have to live in northern Canada, yeah.

I did see a DC-9 flying into BFI recently. that was nifty

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mollymauk posted:

Anyone got any tips for memorizing the name, designator and recognizable features for 50 different aircraft?

That's probably one of those things you just rote memorize (flashcards would probably help) but there's ways to narrow it down a bit.

For single engine airplanes, wing on the bottom is usually Piper, wing on the top is Cessna. Wing on the bottom and crashing into poo poo or doing something dumb is a Cirrus or Bonanza, especially if there's a doctor flying.

Piston engine twins are trickier, since they all tend to look similar at any kind of distance.

Corporate jets suffer a similar issue, but each of the big "families" (Citation, Learjet, Challenger, Phenom and Gulfstream) tend to have a distinct look that carries from one model to the next, which helps distinguish them.

For airliners, the 737 family and A318-21 have fairly obvious differences in the engine design (Airbus engines look round, Boeing has flattened bottoms), the noses look different, and they use differently shaped wingtips.

The 757 is distinct because it looks long and skinny, the 767 looks like a fat 757. The A330 looks a bit like a 767, but the winglets are probably the easiest way to tell them apart at a glance.

The 747 and A380 are easy to tell apart (the 747 has a hump, the A380 doesn't, and the A380 has a distinct "giant forehead" when seen from the front) the 777 stands out because it's larger than any other twinjet, but the 787 and A350 are kind of hard to tell apart at a distance.

For military airplanes, looking at the vertical tails makes it easy to distinguish F-15 from F-18 the F-16 and F-35, and C-17 and C-5, and the C-130 and Kc-135 don't really look like anything else flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

azflyboy posted:

That's probably one of those things you just rote memorize (flashcards would probably help) but there's ways to narrow it down a bit.

For single engine airplanes, wing on the bottom is usually Piper, wing on the top is Cessna. Wing on the bottom and crashing into poo poo or doing something dumb is a Cirrus or Bonanza, especially if there's a doctor flying.

Piston engine twins are trickier, since they all tend to look similar at any kind of distance.

Corporate jets suffer a similar issue, but each of the big "families" (Citation, Learjet, Challenger, Phenom and Gulfstream) tend to have a distinct look that carries from one model to the next, which helps distinguish them.

For airliners, the 737 family and A318-21 have fairly obvious differences in the engine design (Airbus engines look round, Boeing has flattened bottoms), the noses look different, and they use differently shaped wingtips.

The 757 is distinct because it looks long and skinny, the 767 looks like a fat 757. The A330 looks a bit like a 767, but the winglets are probably the easiest way to tell them apart at a glance.

The 747 and A380 are easy to tell apart (the 747 has a hump, the A380 doesn't, and the A380 has a distinct "giant forehead" when seen from the front) the 777 stands out because it's larger than any other twinjet, but the 787 and A350 are kind of hard to tell apart at a distance.

For military airplanes, looking at the vertical tails makes it easy to distinguish F-15 from F-18 the F-16 and F-35, and C-17 and C-5, and the C-130 and Kc-135 don't really look like anything else flying.

Thank you! This is much appreciated, I'm trying to take them as small groups (13 at a time) before the test on Tuesday. The end of module test had both: say what this is by showing a picture and no picture, just a description of the craft and we had to name it from that, so I'm guess the end of block and end of basics will have both ways as well. As someone that was never good at knowing models/names of cars, the aerodynamics/wake turbulence stuff from this block has been easier for me to understand. It doesn't help when stuff like one of the Pipers we have to know is the Cherokee P28A and all the other Pipers we need to know are PA## as the designator. Also all of the Boeing's names are like Boeing 757 and none of the designators are the same as the name (B752/B753).

The little aesthetic stuff like the Boeing window nose side closest to the door has a Nevada shape where Airbuses look like an SD card is neat though.