Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiovorax posted:

I've been playing Ultimate Fishing Simulator lately and, uh, it's weirdly relaxing. I think I'm getting old.

How does it play? Like, what are the controls and such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I've been playing Ultimate Fishing Simulator lately and, uh, it's weirdly relaxing. I think I'm getting old.

I read this as Ultimate Fisting Simulator at first

this concludes our special report

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I really need to go back and play the talos principle DLC but I heard it’s harder than the base game and feel like I’ll be too dumb to do it now after having not played in years

Road to Gehenna is definitely harder, but as an idiot who struggled with games like "Baba is You" after Chapter 5 (Forest) and multiple parts of The Witness, I feel like I was largely able to figure out the game & DLC on my own without hints from the outside world. Maybe it's simply because it's a different kind of puzzle, I'm not sure.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Here's a spare key for the cities skyline base game I got from the bundle game for whoever wants it:

? = Number of fingers on one hand
D3GEJ-N?XW?-8XAEW

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Hwurmp posted:

I read this as Ultimate Fisting Simulator at first

this concludes our special report

I read it as Ultimate Fishing Survivor.

Too much Kaiji.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

ConfusedPig posted:

Here's a spare key for the cities skyline base game I got from the bundle game for whoever wants it:

? = Number of fingers on one hand
D3GEJ-N?XW?-8XAEW

Thanks!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of fishing, what was the name of that new fishing game (might be EA?) that has a pixel overhead view?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of fishing, what was the name of that new fishing game (might be EA?) that has a pixel overhead view?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/949600/Intergalactic_Fishing/

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ragequit posted:

Intergalactic fishing

I haven't gotten it but I've been somewhat tempted. I think at least one person got it and posted a report. I like fishing but am not a fisherman I just catch and release brim and bluegills from a lake dock when in vacation but have always been vaguely interested in serious fishing, with all the baits and the like which this game simulates.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 27, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

threelemmings posted:

Intergalactic fishing

I haven't gotten it but I've been somewhat tempted. I think at least one person got it and posted a report. I like fishing but am not a fisherman I just catch and release brim and bluegills from a lake dock when in vacation but have always been interested in serious fishing.

So you're tempting them with juicy morsels, giving them pain when they take the bite, then subjecting them to the agony of the surface world before unceremoniously tossing them back. You're either torturing the fish, or breeding a legion of masochists.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
That's the one - thank you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

How does it play? Like, what are the controls and such?
Well, it's in 3D first person format to start with. You start in a basic overview screen where you equip various rods, tools and types of bait. You pick then pick a region to fish in and are then presented with the corresponsing open and usually really very nicely modelled map in which you can move around at will. You pick a spot and then manually throw out your lines and drag them back in using the left and right mouse button. Fish will be attracted to your hook based both on the type of bait and equipment you use as well as the technique you use to attract them, such as dragging and stopping, twitching the rod, lifting and dropping, etc. I think I'm actually learning quite a number of real-world fishing techniques here and I'm starting to get interested in trying them out for real at some point.

There are a lot of things that I haven't tried out yet, such as fly fishing, using boats, ice fishing with a drill and a hole, ground fishing using heavy weights and baits, using multiple rods on tripods etc. It's pretty complex and every time you manage to trick a fish into taking your bait it really feels like a little achievement. It keeps getting easier as I get more skilled at making the right movements and figuring out what kind of combination of technique and bait each fish prefers.

It's much more engaging than I would have expected, really.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Soon they will be ready to wipe the surface world clean!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it's in 3D first person format to start with. You start in a basic overview screen where you equip various rods, tools and types of bait. You pick then pick a region to fish in and are then presented with the corresponsing open and usually really very nicely modelled map in which you can move around at will. You pick a spot and then manually throw out your lines and drag them back in using the left and right mouse button. Fish will be attracted to your hook based both on the type of bait and equipment you use as well as the technique you use to attract them, such as dragging and stopping, twitching the rod, lifting and dropping, etc. I think I'm actually learning quite a number of real-world fishing techniques here and I'm starting to get interested in trying them out for real at some point.

There are a lot of things that I haven't tried out yet, such as fly fishing, using boats, ice fishing with a drill and a hole, ground fishing using heavy weights and baits, using multiple rods on tripods etc. It's pretty complex and every time you manage to trick a fish into taking your bait it really feels like a little achievement. It keeps getting easier as I get more skilled at making the right movements and figuring out what kind of combination of technique and bait each fish prefers.

It's much more engaging than I would have expected, really.

Oh that's real interesting. Would you mind getting into a bit of the 'non-fishing' part of the loop? Is it all just a checkbox with regards to the fish you catch? Is there any amount of grind or milestone (ex: size/weight) that you have to work towards? Etc etc.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Morter posted:

Oh that's real interesting. Would you mind getting into a bit of the 'non-fishing' part of the loop? Is it all just a checkbox with regards to the fish you catch? Is there any amount of grind or milestone (ex: size/weight) that you have to work towards? Etc etc.
Yes, there is. Fish you catch gives you both money and experience points. Money can be used to buy bait, tools, and more maps to fish on, which will have different fish and different climates. There are numerous types of rods, reels, hooks, lines etc. that you can combine at will and which have different benefits. XP lets you level up and learn various skills, such as the ability to drill ice holes, farther casting distance, or even a "hunter vision" mode that gives you short visual flashes of where the fish are. When you catch a fish, you get the option to either sell it for money or to let it go for bonux XP, but you always get XP regardless.

There is also a trophy room which will display either your first or your biggest fish of a given species. It's also a 3D map which you can walk through at your leisure, so you get to see them in real size and fully modelled. There's quite a lot to do, really.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Cardiovorax posted:

Yes, there is. Fish you catch gives you both money and experience points. Money can be used to buy bait, tools, and more maps to fish on, which will have different fish and different climates. There are numerous types of rods, reels, hooks, lines etc. that you can combine at will and which have different benefits. XP lets you level up and learn various skills, such as the ability to drill ice holes, farther casting distance, or even a "hunter vision" mode that gives you short visual flashes of where the fish are. When you catch a fish, you get the option to either sell it for money or to let it go for bonux XP, but you always get XP regardless.

There is also a trophy room which will display either your first or your biggest fish of a given species. It's also a 3D map which you can walk through at your leisure, so you get to see them in real size and fully modelled. There's quite a lot to do, really.

poo poo, that sounds...rather engaging. I'm not sure if I'd like it outside the context of another (usually actiony) game, but I might give it a shot.

Lastly, any DLC I should possibly get besides the Deluxe addition? I'm okay with slightly cheaty/more convenient items if it eliminates a bit of grind. And there also appears to be some locations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Morter posted:

poo poo, that sounds...rather engaging. I'm not sure if I'd like it outside the context of another (usually actiony) game, but I might give it a shot.

Lastly, any DLC I should possibly get besides the Deluxe addition? I'm okay with slightly cheaty/more convenient items if it eliminates a bit of grind. And there also appears to be some locations.
Not that I've noticed, no. As far as I can tell, all the DLC is just additional (and very pretty) maps to relax and fish on. They are, however, much cheaper to unlock than the ones in the base game, which have both a level requirement and a sometimes quite substantial license cost. That means you can get more fish and also more expensive fish than you are really supposed to.

There's no particular need for it, though. I haven't gotten to the later stuff like the high sea yacht fishing yet, but even starter fish sell well enough and stuff is generally speaking inexpensive enough that it doesn't feel grindy. Just feel free to enjoy the fishing and get new stuff whenever money piles up high enough.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anno History Collection

quote:

Hey Anno Community,

today we are very excited to share the announcement of the upcoming Anno History Collection with you all. With this collection, we are updating the first four Anno games (1602, 1503, 1701 and 1404) to take advantage of modern PCs, while keeping the classic gameplay we all know and love. Among the more notable improvements to all four games are:

All games being ported to 64-bit to improve performance and stability (say goodbye to Anno 1404 running out of memory)
Support for new resolutions all the way up to 4k, making your empires look better than ever before
Improved multiplayer, with all games now running through Uplay, with comfort features such as quickmatch and desync recovery (as seen in Anno 1800). And yes… ANNO 1503 MULTIPLAYER IS OFFICIALLY HERE!
Full save game compatibility, so we hope you have held on to those beloved saves from years past
Of course, all games include their expansions, as well as any other official content that may have been released over the years

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holy poo poo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fallom posted:

holy poo poo

Release date: June 25th 2020

It's 40$ on uplay now if you want to preorder. I might just.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is Anno 1602 a decent one to start on? I haven't ever played but I did get that one free I think.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I played AssCreed 2 and brotherhood back to back and got really burnt out on them years ago. So then there was a sale of all the ones in between then and now, so i bought those, except Origins. Then i bought Odyssey too (on sale). I decided to play Black Flag first, for whatever reason, and i got pretty sick of it after a few hours, it just seemed like basically the same game i remember. I'm thinking of just jumping to Odyssey, is it going to be enough of a progression forward?
I had basically the same experience - got burned out playing AC2 and Brotherhood too close together, eventually played Black Flag a couple of years ago and it was OK at best. Sailing around doing pirate stuff was dumb fun but that was 30% of the game at best, most of it was tailing people including ship stealth, and walking around UbiSoft offices in unskippable modern segments while a janitor pretended to be a ghost goblin or gently caress knows what.

I went from that to Odyssey and had a surprisingly good time, fully expected to hate it (UPlay had a free trial) but it's a pleasant experience that isn't really anything like the previous games. Less of its own identity, but frankly that identity was fun for maybe two games before it got boring anyway. Odyssey is a cargo cult of various popular games and the UbiSoft mandated mechanics and while it doesn't hit many spectacular highs, it's consistently enjoyable.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Ubisoft being weird about where each game will be released has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

strategy games are Just Better in 2D with a fixed isometric perspective

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

Ubisoft being weird about where each game will be released has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.

What do you mean?

Fallom posted:

This is true.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i did the laser cat boss fight in assassin's creed origins and in case you were wondering it's very much what i imagine a modern mmo fight is like. don't stand in the circles. don't stand in the lines. kill the enemies that spawn in. repeat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i did the laser cat boss fight in assassin's creed origins and in case you were wondering it's very much what i imagine a modern mmo fight is like. don't stand in the circles. don't stand in the lines. kill the enemies that spawn in. repeat.

Ah, good to know I'll suck at it. I play a dragoon in ffxiv and uphold their proud tradition of tanking the floor.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Irritated Goat posted:

Is Anno 1602 a decent one to start on? I haven't ever played but I did get that one free I think.

id get 1404 "Dawn of Discovery" gold.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Or change the steam controller settings to “forced off”, that usually helps. Steam loves to gently caress with stuff without telling you or letting you opt in/out and the controller settings are the most common way it happens.

v1ld posted:

Try launching from Big Picture Mode if you haven't? I'm seeing similar issues with AC: Origins which is so finicky about sticking to either controller or keyboard but not both. BPM seems to fix it.

I'll try both of these and report back. Thanks!

Also, is there a good list somewhere of games that are EGS exclusive? The lists I found are not accurate.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Outer Wilds was my GOTY but its also probably going to be on Steam very soon? I don't know how time works anymore. Shakedown Hawaii was a fun, top-down GTA-like but its most like going to be the same case as well.

Untitled Goose Game for very obvious pick, John Wick Hex for the one I always forget to buy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Outer Wilds was my GOTY but its also probably going to be on Steam very soon? I don't know how time works anymore. Shakedown Hawaii was a fun, top-down GTA-like but its most like going to be the same case as well.

Untitled Goose Game for very obvious pick, John Wick Hex for the one I always forget to buy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/753640/Outer_Wilds/

Planned Release Date: June 18, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

What do you mean?

I don't know why they can't release all the games on multiple platforms. I get that they want to have it on UPlay, but then it's also a little bit of Steam and a little bit of Epic.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Honestly, if you're OK with it, I'd try using GOG Galaxy or Playnite. Get games where there's a deal and launch all of them from the same client.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I personally don't like GOG Galaxy a lot. It seems to be very unreliable about when and how many of your games it actually decides to scrape when you have a lot of them and randomly forgets my accounts sometimes. I don't have so many off-Steam games that it has been worth the bother of dealing with that so far.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I personally don't like GOG Galaxy a lot. It seems to be very unreliable about when and how many of your games it actually decides to scrape when you have a lot of them and randomly forgets my accounts sometimes. I don't have so many off-Steam games that it has been worth the bother of dealing with that so far.

It used to work a lot better but huge features like Steam integration are apparently community-developed and that plugin in particular has been insanely unreliable for me over the last few weeks

I'm not going to bother with a launcher if it makes me log into Steam every 2 days

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
I can just get the collection on uPlay anyway, so it's not like it's some kind of dealbreaker. My backlog is still way too big anyway.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
GOG has allegedly new demos of a bunch of games:

(I say "allegedly" because at least half of these have had demos on Steam before, and I'm not sure exactly how much has changed)

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Fallom posted:

I do remember liking Ground Control a lot, though

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Barry Convex posted:

GOG has allegedly new demos of a bunch of games:

(I say "allegedly" because at least half of these have had demos on Steam before, and I'm not sure exactly how much has changed)

Anyone know if that System Shock demo is the same one they put out a little while ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fallom posted:

It used to work a lot better but huge features like Steam integration are apparently community-developed and that plugin in particular has been insanely unreliable for me over the last few weeks

I'm not going to bother with a launcher if it makes me log into Steam every 2 days

oh, I came across this recently and yeah, the steam plugin is busted atm.

If you feel like fiddling a bit, you can install and older version of the plugin which just works, mine hasn't logged out of steam since.

I'll leave it here just in case anybody is having this issue, got it from here

quote:

Link to working version (0.46)

To "install" - delete the contents of the folder
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\plugins\installed\steam_ca27391f-2675-49b1-92c0-896d43afa4f8
and replace with the contents of the windows.zip file

Then one more step so it doesn't auto-update your plugin (do this after installing the older version).

quote:

1. Go to the plugin folder
2. Open manifest.json in your favorite text editor (I use Notepads but the standard notepad should work as well)
3. Change the version tag to the current release (0.50.6) or newer
4. Save it and open Galaxy