Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whwn do you not need to take potshots at modern capitalism

Never mind that a straight adaptation of Flintstones in the 10s would have not been read by anyone.

flintstones theme but unironic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Virgin Flintstones "Fred is sad about genocide" vs The Chad Dinosaurs "Watch the main cast have to come to terms with their impending death and global extinction due to rampant unregulated capitalism"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the same authors of that flintstones series wrote one starring snagglepuss as a closeted southern playwright in the 50s who gets targeted by HUAC.

it genuinely had me crying at a few parts. madness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Isn't that basically copping to crying at the pony Auschwitz picture

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never thought it would suck to be a gay man in the south in the 1950s, until I saw snagglepuss

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pick posted:

I never thought it would suck to be a gay man in the south in the 1950s, until I saw snagglepuss

Quoting for the quote thread.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Pick posted:

Isn't that basically copping to crying at the pony Auschwitz picture

it might only be a matter of degree, but that definitely wasn't the first time i'd cried about anything the comic brought up for me. my grandfather was blacklisted, and i know plenty of people who've been shoved into the cracks of society for various reasons. also i am a big weepy loser who feels pain and likes Langston Hughes and Tennessee Williams.

it definitely was the first time i cried about a hanna barbera character dying, but that was also very funny. the deadpan melodrama of the series is hysterical for most of it, and then, occasionally... :shrug:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Doc Hawkins posted:

the same authors of that flintstones series wrote one starring snagglepuss as a closeted southern playwright in the 50s who gets targeted by HUAC.

it genuinely had me crying at a few parts. madness.

There are so many openly gay comic people that struggle to get work, hiring a straight white guy to make a comic about the gay experience in America is some major cringe even before you factor in him having Stonewall all be white cis men.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

dont tell people how and when to feel emotions.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Hihohe posted:

dont tell people how and when to feel emotions.

you should feel mad when that happens

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

There are so many openly gay comic people that struggle to get work, hiring a straight white guy to make a comic about the gay experience in America is some major cringe even before you factor in him having Stonewall all be white cis men.

all great points. i don't know whether all of the animal people code as white (though i guess one is a cop), but all of the ones that are allowed to matter are definitely men. there is one memorable woman - a villain - and several sad but understanding beards.

the comic is gay, but it's also about red-baiting, and the way our government destroys those who believe all people deserve life and dignity, and the way we toss countless children down the gullet of moloch. that's a thread of thought that consistently hits me where i live. actually, stonewall in general can also gently caress me right up. the comic was nearly a perfect storm for me. but why is it a comic? why are they animal people? well, just because they had the license and they thought it would be funny and their (apparently straight and white) friend asked to do it.

gently caress me for bringing up this comparison since it isn't worthy to touch the hem of Maus's robe, but maybe Maus is slightly better comparison than the pony picture. although i wouldn't have shared that i teared up reading Maus, because I wouldn't think anyone would find it funny.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

lmao there are still nerds talking about how this book was so deep just because it took potshots at modern capitalism sucking when it didn't need to

The original Flintstones show was explicitly a commentary on capitalism and class structure and consumerism, that's what the show is about. It wasn't pitched at kids either, it originally aired at 8:30pm on Fridays between Harrigan And Son (a sitcom about a father and son team of lawyers) and 77 Sunset Strip.

Here's an episode which is explicitly pro-Capitalism propaganda where Fred learns to love his lovely low paying blue collar job and discovers that the manager class are the true unappreciated heroes of the workforce:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6pb0re

The series featured a whole bunch of societal issues that you'd never expect in a show aimed at kids. In one episode Barney and Betty were super depressed about their infertility issues and they went through a whole bunch of red tape to try and adopt Bamm Bamm and ended up losing a lengthy court case for guardianship to a rich well-connected couple (which has a whole Perry Mason parody) and Barney was so upset that he attempted to commit suicide:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6pbe3a

(Subsequent spinoff series were dumbed down a lot so they appealed more to kids)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i don't really mind you just left yourself wide open. all's well, friend

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There was just as much pop culture before the last 50 years as there is today, it's just that people used to let most things die and came up with new stuff.

Most things, not everything by a long stretch. Remakes and rehashes and plagiarism is as old as people.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That's yabba dabba dark

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There was just as much pop culture before the last 50 years as there is today, it's just that people used to let most things die and came up with new stuff.

Most things, not everything by a long stretch. Remakes and rehashes and plagiarism is as old as people.

the song "yes we have no bananas" started as a vaudeville showtune before being repurposed as an irish union call-to-arms

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

canyoneer posted:

That's yabba dabba dark

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the song "yes we have no bananas" started as a vaudeville showtune before being repurposed as an irish union call-to-arms

The Irish Banana Famine sure did a number on folks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Flintstones itself was a rehash of the TV show The Honeymooners which in turn was rather heavily influenced by the radio series The Bickersons. The Flintstones was also packed full of pop culture references (such as the Perry Mason parody I mentioned earlier)

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Flintstones itself was a rehash of the TV show The Honeymooners which in turn was rather heavily influenced by the radio series The Bickersons. The Flintstones was also packed full of pop culture references (such as the Perry Mason parody I mentioned earlier)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIIxtRQv5sk

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

canyoneer posted:

That's yabba dabba dark

I'm not gonna just let this pass by

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Well unless you have training in how to defend yourself from a man attacking you with a banana, you are fffuuuuuucccccckkkkkkked.

https://youtu.be/rVVTO2VmIBE

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The Irish Banana Famine sure did a number on folks.

You laugh but they grow more bananas in Iceland than they do in Ireland.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Inceltown posted:

You laugh but they grow more bananas in Iceland than they do in Ireland.

I've bought Icelandic bananas in Ireland before, but I'm bougie and prefer them from Waitrose.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

what can I say, I like his stuff

there was a person there, once, with something he believed, and thought should be fought for, and now there is nothing left but a sullen lump of resentment for the idea a better world was ever possible.

Chillgamesh posted:

Where can I find the Ultra Greatsword this item description is attached to

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The original finale for the Flintstones iirc is basically a take on Moonraker. (Which has a surprisingly sensible take on an ordinary guy who happens to look like James Bond being asked to fill in for him- politely saying no and that they'll have to find someone else actually qualified for the job. Of course that doesn't stick)

On topic: I've always liked bad taste metaphors.

teen witch posted:

E: yeah clearly this person is having a severe mental health episode two part season finale cliffhanger

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 13:48 on May 27, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The difference between the pony holocaust and these posters is the pony holocaust guy never stopped to, like, consider the holocaust before. The goon saying that Flinstones made him cry is crying because he has considered the effects of blacklisting before and a current piece of writing reminds him of what he’s come to feel about it.

You’re effectively arguing that you can’t feel emotion about historical fiction without being the same as a dude who didn’t realize the dead at Auschwitz were real people.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

He was living in his own personal Lovecraft story in which the eldritch, indescribable horror was his own drunken actions at what I’m sure came to be referred to in hushed tones heavy with meaning as “the company party”, and instead of ever getting a direct description of what he did, all we heard was that everyone who had looked directly on it was driven, inexorably, as if gripped by an unearthly spirit, to fire him immediately

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
emotionally devastated by an etching of tinky winky in the angolan civil war

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pick posted:

emotionally devastated by an etching of tinky winky in the angolan civil war

I know, imagine being emotionally effected by art, right? Or having a story remind you of things you have experienced before, or real life situations?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SiKboy posted:

I know, imagine being emotionally effected by art, right? Or having a story remind you of things you have experienced before, or real life situations?

Yes, art. A children's cartoon in a comic book form.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yes, art. A children's cartoon in a comic book form.

You're telling me now they stopped pictures and stories being considered art while I wasnt looking? Man, I should pay more attention. Are we still good with music and sculpture?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

SiKboy posted:

You're telling me now they stopped pictures and stories being considered art while I wasnt looking? Man, I should pay more attention. Are we still good with music and sculpture?

are anime figurines art? in this discursive essay, I will

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jeza posted:

are anime figurines art? in this discursive essay, I will

Of course they are. The more important question is, is what they do over at r/cummingonfigurines art?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I mean, if piss Christ was art...

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Somewhere Takashi Murakami just started sweating

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You're all falling into the same trap that all the nerds did when they got super mad at Ebert saying video games aren't art. Of course video games are art, forums posts are art, Saturday morning cartoons are art. Art doesn't mean something is any good. Like we've been socialized with the idea that calling something art lends it this veneer of upper-class respectability but honestly almost everything is art. It's just that a lot of art is garbage.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I want you all to remember two things:

1. You are a work of art!!!

purple death ray posted:

It's just that a lot of art is garbage.

:unsmith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Or perhaps, it is garbage that is art