Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Godholio posted:

Hell some go above and beyond even that

That's awesome right until you have to dust it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/MilitaryTimesOP/status/1263221278971957248

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LAZORS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP94wR-wq4g

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Ok, what are the details on that laser? Like strength and range, because holy poo poo I can’t believe did we actually do it? Gundams are right around the corner boys.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ok, what are the details on that laser? Like strength and range, because holy poo poo I can’t believe did we actually do it? Gundams are right around the corner boys.

:nsa:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

Navy open source reporting is that this demonstrator is aimed at a 150 kw demonstrator weapon. Not clear what the strength of the test shot was. The previous iteration was a 30 kw demonstrator.

quote:

Portland, a San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock, was tapped in 2018 to be the first ship to test the Solid State Laser – Technology Maturation (SSL-TM) Laser Weapon System Demonstrator (LWSD) MK 2 MOD 0 at sea. This second iteration of SSL-TM, which is ultimately expected to become a 150-kilowatt laser weapon, draws from lessons learned from Office of Naval Research (ONR) demonstrations and testing that date back to 2011. The original 30-kilowatt Laser Weapon System (LaWS) was used by interim afloat forward staging base USS Ponce (AFSB(I)-15) in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations from 2014 to 2017 to gather data and lessons learned on how the system performed in an operational setting.

This follow-on SSL-TM has challenged scientists to made advances in areas like the beam director and spectral beam combining, which takes many lasers of different wave lengths and creates a more powerful beam by “ganging them up,” Frank Peterkin, the Navy’s senior technologist for directed energy, told USNI News last year.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

cool cool let me just fire up this backpack nuclear reactor and we're g2g

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

How 'bout a l'il canned sunshine in the man cave? https://www.etsy.com/listing/773164...llery-1-1&bes=1

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Robert Facepalmer posted:

How 'bout a l'il canned sunshine in the man cave? https://www.etsy.com/listing/773164...llery-1-1&bes=1

Given Trump wants to resume nuclear testing, won't need a painting soon.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

Given Trump wants to resume nuclear testing, won't need a painting soon.

Not a painting, it is a lamp that looks like it will be cool for the first couple hours and a nightmare to dust/clean/whatever until it gets thrown out.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Not a painting, it is a lamp that looks like it will be cool for the first couple hours and a nightmare to dust/clean/whatever until it gets thrown out.

What a neg nancy

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Grandma comes over, “oh son, I love your cauliflower lamp where can I get one??.”

Me, literally shaking, “....Etsy.”

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Sure you could pay over $100 for that lamp. Or you can get the exact same one for super cheap and maybe you’ll see it in two months. https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40010...603439f5&is_c=Y

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You can just relist ali poo poo on Etsy on a markup? Hell.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Yeah that’s why my wife can’t sell any of her handmade resin pendants on Etsy. They’re flooded out by aliexpress resellers.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/MichaelStahlke/status/1265650316172656641

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

If that is his normal look, I don't want to see his thousand yard stare.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommieGIR posted:

If that is his normal look, I don't want to see his thousand yard stare.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/calibreobscura/status/1267952144608636933?s=21

Okay, who’s letting Michael Bay plan their war?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Someone says they are yelling at one of the ambush victims to crawl to them, to not be afraid.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Everyone be aware there is some death happening in those vids if not obvious from the titles.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea the dudes loving ragdolling out of the vehicles are tough to watch.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Are they just really bad shots? It always surprised me how many times an automatic weapon is fired at someone and they just keep running.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The one time I got to shoot one there's no way I'd have hit a goddamned thing if I was trying.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are they just really bad shots? It always surprised me how many times an automatic weapon is fired at someone and they just keep running.

When I was working in Iraq, my close protection detail always told me if I ever got in a situation where I under attack in a place, to just run away from the shooting as 99% of the time they'd be just too hyped up to actually aim.

Also a scroll down to the bottom of that ambush post is very loving :stare:

Burt fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 3, 2020

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The GNA is celebrating their victory by drag racing on their newly captured airport.

https://twitter.com/lummideast/status/1268253481627979776

200 km/h on a poorly maintained technical.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

With oncoming traffic

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It doesn't look that fast. Sure doesn't look like 250 mph closure with the oncoming truck.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Godholio posted:

It doesn't look that fast. Sure doesn't look like 250 mph closure with the oncoming truck.

The tweet says kmh

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The tweet says kmh

200kph=125mph

250mph closure speed with the oncoming vehicle.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Richard Bong posted:

200kph=125mph

250mph closure speed with the oncoming vehicle.

But what if the vehicle in the opposite direction isn't going 125mph?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But what if the vehicle in the opposite direction isn't going 125mph?

Unless he's going backwards, it doesn't look right to me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Goddamn. Those pictures are the only reason I'm buying it now. The proportion looks very off to me in the video.

Godholio posted:

Unless he's going backwards, it doesn't look right to me.

Godholio, get your eyes checked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Buddy they are bad.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's possible that the wide runway is messing with perception of the speed vs a road context. I know when Top Gear or whoever does runway speed runs it can look less dramatic than 200mph or whatever should because the scale is off.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Or perhaps they're ancient technicals and the speedo is broken.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Godholio posted:

It's because they're on a runway and not a road. You can really gently caress with the brain's perspective on speed by making the corridor wider or narrower.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

golden bubble posted:

The GNA is celebrating their victory by drag racing on their newly captured airport.

https://twitter.com/lummideast/status/1268253481627979776

200 km/h on a poorly maintained technical.

Maybe im crazy but that doesn't look like 200km/hr
I have a 1992 toyota thats in pretty good shape and it would be an experience to drive it at 200km i assure you.
maybe the speedo is broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Seatbelts posted:

Maybe im crazy but that doesn't look like 200km/hr
I have a 1992 toyota thats in pretty good shape and it would be an experience to drive it at 200km i assure you.
maybe the speedo is broken?

Maybe, but driving on a wide runway with no nearby obstacles to pass and with stripes 4 or 5 times the size of the ones on a highway tends to distort one's perception of speed.