Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I dunno, "burned out and hasn't even announced a project in the 7 years since Infinite's release" sound pretty cursed to me...

Seeing a popular thriving franchise that's most recent entry sold gangbusters just no longer get a follow-up is about as blatant as it can get. Most games selling 11 million copies are immediately greenlit for sequels/next franchise entry so 7 years later being in dev hell canceled then re-branded is a pretty bad sign from both management and game development perspectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

See the other problem I had with Bioshock: Infinite is the ending felt like the wrote themselves into a corner. I remember thinking where the hell do you go from here.

of course I never played the dlc but I haven't heard good things.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'm now up to the arboretum in my semi-first playthrough. I have a fuckton of neuromods already! Currently upgraded Combat Focus 3, Gunsmith max, Security Weapons 1, Speed max, hacking 2, the food heals better perk, and finally better recycling+extra typhon organs. I have a bunch left over, and I'm debating on which typhon power to get into first. I read about psychoshock, that seems neat. Probably going to go for that one! My shotgun is basically maxed out, and I'm now focusing on upgrading the stun gun, so I guess that'll cover most encounters.

Game is as cool as I remembered. Tense, but not too scary. It helps that I can instantly delete all enemies with my current loadout. Except the weaver in the GUTS who put a fear status on me and flew away? :confused:
Anyway, I'm now going into uncharted territory, so true new experiences await me! Let's see what this game has in store for me.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Combat focus is super OP, that and psychoshock are probably the two strongest combat powers in the game.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Lord Lambeth posted:

See the other problem I had with Bioshock: Infinite is the ending felt like the wrote themselves into a corner. I remember thinking where the hell do you go from here.

of course I never played the dlc but I haven't heard good things.

It was also really unnecessary to tie the first game with the third game. They pretty much imploded the franchise.

I hope the game that they've apparently been working on isn't a direct sequel. They should concentrate on themes and gameplay systems.
I don't want to see another lighthouse.

Also I can't stress enough how much that DLC is bad and contrived. And a waste of money/time.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Samopsa posted:

It helps that I can instantly delete all enemies with my current loadout. Except the weaver in the GUTS who put a fear status on me and flew away? :confused:

Pay attention to what happens the next time you attack a Weaver, and watch its visual cues. You'll work out what's going on fairly quickly.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Pay attention to what happens the next time you attack a Weaver, and watch its visual cues. You'll work out what's going on fairly quickly.

I got the one in the lobby! That wasn't so hard. My Morgan is a wild one, chugging a bottle of vodka and going toe-to-toe with that thing to destroy it in a few blasts.

The surprise in the lift really got me, this game has some good rear end 'jump'-scares. I also still get surprised when I accidentally break some looking glass stuff. Very cool visual effect.

I encountered the nightmare twice now, that thing is a total chump when you're running around with a maxed shotgun! Thanks for the exotic material, sucker.

The arboretum is very pretty. A bit disappointing that it's actually pretty tiny though. If you enter it for the first time it looks like a huge area, but there's not much to see in reality. Still, they managed to hide a ton of neat stuff to find. I really love exploring in this game.

I cleared out the bridge, and I scuttled the shuttle, better not take any chances I guess. Now, on to the crew quarters to find some recordings to open up the storage!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Merrill Grinch posted:

Just got the Research-Camera-except-it-has-a-silly-name and yeah, this game is alright. It's not as good as system shock 1-2 or bioshock 1-2, but it's a acceptable knock-off imitator with a story that goes in fits and starts.

Edit: With the worst hacking minigame ever. Forgot that part. Jesus I hate this hacking minigame.

This is from very early in the thread (around Preys release) and I'm just coming in to say this is wildly wrong and this is the best hacking minigame

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

No they're totally right about the hacking minigame but incredibly wrong about the overall quality of the game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Wafflecopper posted:

No they're totally right about the hacking minigame but incredibly wrong about the overall quality of the game

Man it bums me out that I've seen so many people say that, I've played so many games with dull or boring or rote minigames and theres something about the feedback and the motion of Preys that just gets me

Anyway I should stop thread-sniping older posts because I've still a long way to go but drat I think I love this more than Bioshock and Deus Ex put together

KNR
May 3, 2009
I didn't find it the worst hacking minigame to actually play, but it is a completely pointless part of the game I never failed at once and would never miss if it wasn't there.

I'm still not sure what the point of a hacking minigame that pauses the main game is even supposed to be besides busywork. The realtime hacking of System Shocks (and iirc Bioshock 2) at least give the minigame a purpose in the larger game. Or go the Deus Ex route and drop the minigame, not the realtime part.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

to be fair i hate pretty much all hacking/lockpicking minigames. only exception i can think of was thief 3's lockpicking, but only if you edited the ini to removing the lockpicking hud. then you had to kind of feel it out and listen and it felt like you were actually picking a lock (or at least what i imagine it to be like)

e: yeah also it was realtime so it had actually gameplay consequences and added tension if you were trying to crack the lock to hide in the room before the guard came around the corner or whatever

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The hacking minigame was so totally forgettable that I had to google it just now. The best hacking minigame I've seen is on Paradroid, but that's probably because it's a major part of the game. The SS2 and Bioshock ones stick with me, the first because I cared about how it could have been improved, the latter because gently caress it it was awful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Serephina posted:

SS2 because I cared about how it could have been improved

what would you change?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Man it bums me out that I've seen so many people say that, I've played so many games with dull or boring or rote minigames and theres something about the feedback and the motion of Preys that just gets me

Anyway I should stop thread-sniping older posts because I've still a long way to go but drat I think I love this more than Bioshock and Deus Ex put together

I'd say the hacking minigame is better than SS2's "roll dice for three in a row" game but worse than SS1's "literally fly around in cyberspace fighting security programs" game. Not sure how I'd stack it up against Bioshock's pipelaying game, it's been ages since I played Bioshock. I do appreciate that it's mostly skill-based and, win or lose, over pretty quickly. The fact that (unlike SS2's connect the dots game or Deus Ex's countdown) it pauses the rest of the game does remove a lot of tension, though.

I'm losing my mind at "not as good as Bioshock 1-2 [...] but an acceptable knock-off imitator" though; IMO Prey is in the same tier as SS2 (and is, honestly, better in a lot of ways) and Bioshock was itself a half-assed SS2 knockoff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

I'd say the hacking minigame is better than SS2's "roll dice for three in a row" game but worse than SS1's "literally fly around in cyberspace fighting security programs" game. Not sure how I'd stack it up against Bioshock's pipelaying game, it's been ages since I played Bioshock. I do appreciate that it's mostly skill-based and, win or lose, over pretty quickly. The fact that (unlike SS2's connect the dots game or Deus Ex's countdown) it pauses the rest of the game does remove a lot of tension, though.

I'm losing my mind at "not as good as Bioshock 1-2 [...] but an acceptable knock-off imitator" though; IMO Prey is in the same tier as SS2 (and is, honestly, better in a lot of ways) and Bioshock was itself a half-assed SS2 knockoff.

SS2's is superior imo because it wasn't particularly complicated but required your real time focus, and there was a resource cost associated with failure, making hacking more of a choice and giving it a dynamic dimension within the game world.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rinkles posted:

what would you change?

Oof, it's been a while, but trying to recall it:

My take on a hacking minigame is that it needs a few things to make it good.
a) Not so simple as to be inane, might as well remove it then.
b) Have a real cost to attempt/fail.
c) Be skill-based.
d) Have a way to represent the player character being good/poor at it.

SS2 fails at A and C. Bioshock iirc fails at B and D and almost A.
With SS2, you click all the 'free' ones then decide if you want to roll some dice on success vs turbofail, or just soft fail and pay to try again. Not much skill there. I came to the conclusion it probably needed to be remade from scratch as there's no "fun" way of adding a skilled game to what they had. I'd suggest looking up what paradroid game was, it really stood out to me. There was also some other (0451?) game that had a notably good hacking minigame, but it's gone clean out of my head.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Personally I don't agree with point a (if SS2 fails in your opinion). The minigame is there to tie a cost to hacking, in terms of your resources, time, and focus, but it doesn't have to be particularly complex to achieve this. There were plenty of times in SS2 when, despite the simplicity of the minigame, I had to abandon a hacking attempt because I couldn't complete it fast enough under pressure. If it was the only thing I was concentrating on, I probably could've done in a few of those cases.

When you say skill-based, do you mean character or player? Guessing the latter. Idk that adding a twitch element would add much, since you already have to pay enough attention for it to be distracting in difficult situations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

c) Be skill-based.

With SS2, you click all the 'free' ones then decide if you want to roll some dice on success vs turbofail, or just soft fail and pay to try again. Not much skill there. I came to the conclusion it probably needed to be remade from scratch as there's no "fun" way of adding a skilled game to what they had. I'd suggest looking up what paradroid game was, it really stood out to me. There was also some other (0451?) game that had a notably good hacking minigame, but it's gone clean out of my head.

The hacking in the modern Deus Ex games was really good. Didn’t pause the action, could trigger alarms, skills increased your ability to perform actions like fortifying/capturing nodes without tripping the defense program.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Both, player skill and player-chacter skills.

It's there's no skill to it... it's not much of a game. Doesn't have to be real-time, for example could be a turn-based psuedo-chess game. Additional points in hacking upgrades peices to queens. You get the point.

edit: ^^^ THAT'S IT, the modern DX games did it decently. Still needed a way to showcase higher hacking skill that "+1; slightly faster", had an odd thing with consumables (interesting), half the time failures didn't cost anything, but otherwise quite good.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 26, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Serephina posted:

The best hacking minigame I've seen is on Paradroid

:same: it is.

Worst (for me): alpha protocol, as the controls didn't work.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Noclip's Arkane doc just dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4kdqwdbZZ8&t=3487s

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Worst hacking was Bioshock where it could literally be unbeatable.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

:same: it is.

Worst (for me): alpha protocol, as the controls didn't work.

Try doing it with a gamepad. AP's hacking minigame went from a total nightmare to pretty decent. It's totally unintuitive but leave a gamepad handy and pick it up for hacking, the difference is brutal.

Hell, I beat Prey on PC and found the hacking a hassle but whenever I play on PS4 the analog gives me more precision over the dot than with keyboard keys.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Serephina posted:

c) Be skill-based.

Some of the SS1 puzzles were good. Not the wiring ones though, they were garbage.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

That was super cool, thanks for the link. I knew about The Crossing, but LMNO and Ravenholm especially were a great glance into more never-published Arkane projects.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m impressed by their commitment to immersion re: not dubbing or subbing the French

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

huh, I don't think I knew that Arkane assisted on Bioshock 2. Honestly the level design being their work kinda makes sense, the levels feel more dense and vertical in 2 than in 1.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

KNR posted:

Or go the Deus Ex route and drop the minigame, not the realtime part.

It's funny to see this comment; DX got flak at the time for not having a hacking minigame, just a countdown timer.

I don't think it takes much to make a minigame not feel tedious. Prey, for example: I think I would probably mind the hacking system a lot more except the music does a fantastic job of being energetic and catchy enough to keep my attention but uptempo enough to make it feel tense even though I've failed the minigame, like, once.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

wonder what publisher it was that wanted to gently caress them over with the crossing deal

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pretty good docu. Thanks for the link.

Edit: Arkane were really ahead of their time in some projects.

Edit2: Heh. Anthony Huso's comment about Bioshock's luggage is :discourse:

itry fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 27, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m impressed by their commitment to immersion re: not dubbing or subbing the French

the french is subbed if you hit the CC button

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

wonder what publisher it was that wanted to gently caress them over with the crossing deal

I'm gonna take a guess. Infogrames/Atari? Every public and personal anecdote about working with them I've heard is negative.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

I'm gonna take a guess. Infogrames/Atari? Every public and personal anecdote about working with them I've heard is negative.

maybe, but i'm pretty sure that atari is dead. i'd think colantonio wouldn't be afraid to name them if the publisher no longer existed.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Their corpse is still shambling and controlled by lawyers, so I could see why they'd continue to avoid doing so.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Samopsa posted:

I got the one in the lobby! That wasn't so hard. My Morgan is a wild one, chugging a bottle of vodka and going toe-to-toe with that thing to destroy it in a few blasts.

The surprise in the lift really got me, this game has some good rear end 'jump'-scares. I also still get surprised when I accidentally break some looking glass stuff. Very cool visual effect.

I encountered the nightmare twice now, that thing is a total chump when you're running around with a maxed shotgun! Thanks for the exotic material, sucker.

The arboretum is very pretty. A bit disappointing that it's actually pretty tiny though. If you enter it for the first time it looks like a huge area, but there's not much to see in reality. Still, they managed to hide a ton of neat stuff to find. I really love exploring in this game.

I cleared out the bridge, and I scuttled the shuttle, better not take any chances I guess. Now, on to the crew quarters to find some recordings to open up the storage!

Went through the crew quarters, cleared it out, and I'm now going into Deep Storage. Some thoughts:
- The nightmare is super easy. 4-5 blasts of the shotgun and it's dead. Too bad, because the mechanic seems neat. Oh well, at least it doesn't gently caress up the pacing.
- Poltergeists are cool when you first encounter them, but they're kinda eh to fight. They don't do -that- much damage so you can just run up to the center of the disturbances until you notice something invisible blocking your way, and applying some shells to the face.
- I kept all the mind controlled crew alive. That was a neat 'combat puzzle' to solve! I did it with the disruptor gun, and sneaking a bit and prioritizing them so they don't blow their heads of is a nice change of pace compared to regular combat.
- The fake chef was waaaaaaaay too heavily telegraphed imo. You instantly know something is up once you talk to him, and then there are soooo maaany clues that something is up. Really bummed out that you can't do anything else than shoot him in the back tho. I would've loved some more interactivity here.
- The yellow tulip is a cool set-piece, and playing the recording of the song was a fun encounter. The song is a total bop as well.
- Danielle is a cool character. You really get to know the space-dnd crew quite well through only a few audiologs and notes. This is the first time I actually felt some emotional connection to an NPC in the game!
- I had to laugh about Alex not taking his exercise seriously, because he seems like an rear end in a top hat to me, but I couldn't help but see it as a jab against fat people, as he's one of the only heavier characters in the game. Eh.
- I found the (well hidden!) keycard to Alex' escape pod!
- I love that Morgan's bedroom is the same as the starting bedroom in layout. Felt like coming home. The notes Morgan left for themselves are neat too, showing a very cold and calculating person, and telling more about yourself than the subjects of the logs.
- The horror elements are pretty much gone now. I don't mind that much, but they could've done some with some more dread. Enemies are way more out in the open, rooms are well lit most of the time, and I even have a -greater- mimic scope now. Not that mimics pose much of a threat anymore...
- I'm completely flush with resources. I'm playing on hard but I gather difficulty doesn't matter much, just a % bonus to enemy damage and malus to dealt damage. I can just tank damage and eat food to regen, blast hypos and medkits when needed, and I still have full stacks of everything in my inventory.

Back to the arboretum:
- The change to the arboretum once you return is well done. The coral spreading from the GUTS to the rest of the station is very pretty and kinda unnerving. Reminds me of the changes that happen in Hollow Knight with the spread of the infection, only less dangerous.
- The mimics in the arboretum went completely bonkers and were just sprinting around all the time :confused:. Not sure if that's intended behaviour!
- I took a trip outside to get to the breached parts of crew quarters, and the shuttle I saw floating around. Not much to see unfortunately, mostly some loot and a very predictable backstory to the shuttle. A missed chance to do something with the Yu's parent's bedroom or something.
- Speaking of missed opportunities: escaping with the pod right now is of course a silly way to end the game, but ending at a game over? really? I was already spoiled about the 'true ending', but I think this is pretty weak.
- Entering Deep Storage, and instantly locking the door behind me? Not cool. Of course, this game has been pretty linear up to this point so it doesn't change -that- much, up till now there hasn't been much reason to actually travel somewhere else for non-story related reasons, except to get the true nanomod fabrication plans.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Doubt most people here don't already have the game, but if not or you want a drm-free copy, it's now available on gog, with a sale price of $12 (usually $40). Comes with Mooncrash.

https://www.gog.com/game/prey_digital_deluxe_edition

The Dishonored games are bundled for $24.

https://www.gog.com/game/dishonored_complete_collection

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 27, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rinkles posted:

Doubt most people here don't already have the game, but if not or you want a drm-free copy, it's now available on gog, with a sale price of $12 (usually $40). Comes with Mooncrash.

https://www.gog.com/game/prey_digital_deluxe_edition

The Dishonored games are bundled for $24.

https://www.gog.com/game/dishonored_complete_collection

:hellyeah:

I've been waiting for this ever since Dishonored hit. Now I can do a replay without Denuvo.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I want to point out that gog also has a demo for the system shock remaster up

https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

I want to point out that gog also has a demo for the system shock remaster up

https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Some thoughts after playing the demo recently (did not finish it)

- It's a straight remaster. Nothing new added as far as I can tell, but if you skipped out of playing SS1 because of its age, this should be fun for you
- Lots of previous public complaints about the demo being poorly optimized, but it must have been updated recently because it ran smoothly with very high frame rate for me
- The wire hacking game sucks. The only thing that's good about it is that it doesn't take you out of action
- Level design is decent, but a lot of things are confusing whether they are interact-able or not. The flavor text for literally every object is kinda cool though. I feel like both points here are ripped straight from the original
- It's not very scary, maybe a little creepy, but that's mostly from mild body horror. It's also not hard by modern standards.
- The view out of the window is nice.