Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Qualified immunity needs to gently caress off forever or this poo poo will never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
im sure theres both sides to this story :v:

https://twitter.com/SirajAHashmi/status/1261352204453269505

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Note that's a no-knock looking for a suspect who'd already been arrested earlier, did not announce according to multiple witnesses, and her boyfriend took a shot thinking it was a home invasion. He's facing 1st degree assault and attempted murder of a police officer charges, of course.

Police responded with 20+ rounds, hitting her eight times, and putting rounds through the walls into the next apartment over where a 5 year old and their pregnant mother were sleeping.

Walker (the boyfriend) and his lawyer have already filed to have the charges dismissed because one of the police sergeants who testified before the grand jury was a complete shitbag on the stand.

quote:

The motion says Seelye told the grand jury that three officers knocked, repeatedly announced their presence and waited a period of time before battering the door open.

She said they were immediately met with "gunfire" but didn’t mention that the "gunfire … was a single shot fire by Mr. Walker in protection of himself and Ms. Taylor,” Eggert says in the motion.

Seelye, the lone witness, told the grand jury that Walker gave a statement to police but “incredibly” omitted that he had told police he had no idea the intruders were officers, the motion states.

He also said Seeleye “completely omitted … the existence of Ms.Taylor or that she was shot by police eight times."

Even more fun, there's also charges that they lied on the warrant they were executing when she was shot.

quote:

Records show the warrant police used to enter Taylor's apartment connected her with a narcotics suspect, Jamarcus Glover, who was arrested in a separate raid that night at a house 10 miles away.

A detective wrote in an affidavit that he'd seen Glover leave Taylor's apartment about two months before with a USPS package before driving to a "known drug house." The detective wrote that he then verified "through a US Postal Inspector" that Glover had been receiving packages at Taylor's address.

A U.S. postal inspector in Louisville, however, told WDRB News Friday that LMPD didn't use his office to verify that Glover was receiving packages at Taylor's apartment.

Postal inspector Tony Gooden told WDRB that a different agency had asked in January to look into whether Taylor's home was receiving suspicious mail, but that the office had concluded it wasn't.

"There's no packages of interest going there," Gooden told the news outlet.
Police records from a search of Taylor's apartment after her death show that officers collected "Jamarcus C. Glover mail matter" from inside Taylor's purse, along with a letter from him found in the east bedroom.

Attorney Benjamin Crump, a Florida-based attorney known for his involvement in high-profile cases of black Americans killed in high-profile shootings, wrote in a news release that Gooden's statement "directly contradicts what the police stated in the affidavit to secure a no-knock warrant for her home."

Crump is part of a team of attorneys representing Taylor's family in their civil suit against the three officers involved in the shooting.

"Gooden further stated that 'no packages of interest were going there.' We will continue to demand transparency from the Louisville police on behalf of Breonna's family," Crump said in the statement.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

"Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect..."

https://crookedtimber.org/2018/03/21/liberals-against-progressives/#comment-729288

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

gently caress those pieces of poo poo. They deserve to be fired and put away for negligent homicide at the very least.

And the charges against the boyfriend need to be dropped immediately.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
We live in a police State and the second amendment has failed us.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Speaking of bogus drug busts turned into executions, more fallout from the Houston one which left a couple dead.

https://twitter.com/bethbourdon/status/1263745818751840258?s=19

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

MPD responded to a call about forgery.

It ended with a dead black guy after a cop cuffed him, had him face down on the ground, and put his knee into his neck. The guy said he couldn’t breathe and flat out asked the cops not to kill him.

He died.

If you are a cop and you’re not actively protesting poo poo like this within your own institutions, you’re just as guilty. Yes, you that is reading this. Just because it happened in another city/state/precinct isn’t an excuse for not doing anything about it.

Figure it the gently caress out, murderers.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
The coward who hid in his car during the Parkland shooting got his job back with back pay and seniority restored.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The cops also called it a “medical incident” instead of “homicide” in the initial report

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
A medically induced tracheal crushing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Woofer posted:

MPD responded to a call about forgery.

It ended with a dead black guy after a cop cuffed him, had him face down on the ground, and put his knee into his neck. The guy said he couldn’t breathe and flat out asked the cops not to kill him.

He died.

If you are a cop and you’re not actively protesting poo poo like this within your own institutions, you’re just as guilty. Yes, you that is reading this. Just because it happened in another city/state/precinct isn’t an excuse for not doing anything about it.

Figure it the gently caress out, murderers.

Seriously.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Go ahead and watch a man beg with his literal LAST BREATHS not to kill him in the streets in broad daylight with another officer just standing over this slow motion murder.

Go ahead and wonder why we think you're all collaborating bastards.

I distanced myself from the military as America became more fascist, and we began celebrating the "accomplishments" of war criminals and maniacs.

If you're "fighting from within" do it loudly enough for us to hear it in the back, 'cus we're not hearing poo poo aside from countless dying breaths.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seriously. If any of you cops out there wonder why the general public leans towards ACAB? This sort of poo poo. For every one of these incidents that gets media attention, a dozen other people die in custody or get shot by some pig in a uniform who's terrified of interacting with the public so resorts to lethal force at the first moment of panic.

Meanwhile, every police union you can think of trots out this sort of thing:

quote:

The Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis said in a statement the officers were cooperating in the investigation.
"Now is not the time rush to (judgment) and immediately condemn our officers," the statement said. "Officers' actions and training protocol will be carefully examined after the officers have provided their statements."

Unsurprising, given the POFM has a history of supporting an officer shooting service dogs in their own back yard and selling Trump t-shirts.

You can watch the bodycam footage here, if you wanna see a dog bounce over to see who's in the back yard, stop and wag its tail a bit, and then get shot in the face. Note that the officer's report on the day stated that the dogs, which he described as 'large pit bulls' were growling at charging at him.

“While staging at the rear, two large size pitbulls charged at officer. Officer dispatched the two dogs, causing them to run back into the residence.”

Luckily for the homeowner, she had an external security camera that caught the whole thing, or it'd be just another case of 'whoops body cam footage got lost'.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 27, 2020

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Just search “Minneapolis” on twitter, it’s getting scary over there. I’ve seen multiple videos of people straight up chucking rocks at cop cars.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
An inciting event of the American Revolution was the murder of a black protester.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Doppelganger posted:

Just search “Minneapolis” on twitter, it’s getting scary over there. I’ve seen multiple videos of people straight up chucking rocks at cop cars.

Yeah, and the cops responded with tear gas, pepper spray, and flashbangs.

https://twitter.com/efrostee/status/1265445016710918148

https://twitter.com/CarlosGphoto/status/1265473715057438723

https://twitter.com/CarlosGphoto/status/1265455823700070401

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I watched a man beg for his life and two officers of the law murdered him.

Cop #2 is symbolic of the police that claim that it's not them, but watched a murder slowly happen and did nothing to stop it.

If you're an accomplice to a crime in which another person dies, you're also criminally liable for their death.

I would love to see both pieces of poo poo prosecuted because you can NOT look at that scene and tell me there was anything justifiable about it.

Only fair.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wasabi the J posted:

If you're an accomplice to a crime in which another person dies, you're also criminally liable for their death.

The felony murder rule has done a lot more harm than good thus far. Every cop involved involved in the Minneapolis case is culpable, don't get me wrong - but that's a big sword to swing, and it's hosed a lot of people over who didn't deserve it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I want the boot to be on the other foot.

Just once some loving accountability would be nice; in lieu of that, I'm beginning to settle for reciprocity.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 27, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Having "i thought he had a gun and i feared for my life" be a valid defense for normal people would be a really interesting time

Stravag fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 27, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stravag posted:

Having "i thought he had a gun and i feared for my life" be a defense for normal people would be a really interesting time

They'd be right more often than the cops!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Was it in houston that the cops were about to execute a warrant and a old lady looked out of her window a couple doors down so the cops popped her and used that reason and then just so happened to miraculously find a gun somewhere in the house? Or am i mixing them up again?

Stravag fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 27, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That was probably the one where they were called to do a wellness check, then got a brief glimpse through the window of a 20 year old playing video games with her small child and opened up

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Stravag posted:

Was it in houston that the cops were about to execute a warrant and a old lady looked out of her window a couple doors down so the cops popped her and used that reason and then just so happened to miraculously find a gun somewhere in the house? Or am i mixing them up again?

Dallas area, if it's the one I'm thinking of and that shame is referencing. I'm in Houston - here the cops just did a home invasion on bad info, killed a couple, then lied about it, then had the police union effectively threaten everyone who expressed their displeasure on social media.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Wasabi the J posted:

I want the boot to be on the other foot.

Just once some loving accountability would be nice; in lieu of that, I'm beginning to settle for reciprocity.

I don't disagree, put every cop on the scene there in prison unless there's tape of one attempting to intervene. Just pointing out that felony murder laws are poo poo and poo poo and should be reconsidered.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think in this case theres no need for it. That cop clearly new exactly what he was doing and intended to kill.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was looking up the death penalty in MN.

The last execution in the state of MN was a botched hanging. The guys rope was too long, the condemned hit the ground, so three officers held the rope up to strangle him.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Maybe it's just in the training manual there.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Just curious which cop goons in this thread do you guys think are not on your side here?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Grem posted:

Just curious which cop goons in this thread do you guys think are not on your side here?

The ones who aren’t actively trying to stop police brutality.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Woofer posted:

The ones who aren’t actively trying to stop police brutality.

I think there's like one guy that I can say is like that that USED to post in these threads.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Grem posted:

I think there's like one guy that I can say is like that that USED to post in these threads.

What is your point

If you’re a cop you’re complicit. I don’t care if you’re “on my side.” You’re not “on my side” if you’re complicit.

Shitposting about how much it sucks isn’t enough. Fix your loving people.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Woofer posted:

What is your point

If you’re a cop you’re complicit. I don’t care if you’re “on my side.” You’re not “on my side” if you’re complicit.

Shitposting about how much it sucks isn’t enough. Fix your loving people.

I, too, would like every single person who is in an industry that unfairly treats Americans to stop their entire industry. But I think that you are going to find that solutions are not going to come from inside the profession you're upset about. Cops from across the country either are too close to their own department and think their friends just "made a mistake" or are too far from the actual issues. Rage at politicians and put leaders in place who are going to implement civilian oversight committees and such.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is right to be upset at cops and I even WAS one for a bit. But the solution when screaming into the void isn't to scream into the void harder. I get maybe it's cathartic because you think you're yelling at cops here. None even post in this thread any more, for the most part. This thread was a big red flashing "Come yell at cops here" at one point. It doesn't feel like that anymore. Now it feels like "Come yell at cops so you feel better without actually doing anything".

Get out and loving do something. Organize, vote, join a group like DSA, and I guess yell at cops here, but man...that's going to be the least effective thing you can do.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Grem posted:

I, too, would like every single person who is in an industry that unfairly treats Americans to stop their entire industry. But I think that you are going to find that solutions are not going to come from inside the profession you're upset about. Cops from across the country either are too close to their own department and think their friends just "made a mistake" or are too far from the actual issues. Rage at politicians and put leaders in place who are going to implement civilian oversight committees and such.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is right to be upset at cops and I even WAS one for a bit. But the solution when screaming into the void isn't to scream into the void harder. I get maybe it's cathartic because you think you're yelling at cops here. None even post in this thread any more, for the most part. This thread was a big red flashing "Come yell at cops here" at one point. It doesn't feel like that anymore. Now it feels like "Come yell at cops so you feel better without actually doing anything".

Get out and loving do something. Organize, vote, join a group like DSA, and I guess yell at cops here, but man...that's going to be the least effective thing you can do.

Yes I will absolutely yell at the cops here when cops are murdering people. Thanks.

Sorry you think the burden is on me to get cops to stop killing people.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If yelling at cops on SA seems pointless, imagine how pointless tone policing people who are mad at cops on SA is.

Different note:
https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1265694811014811654?s=21

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the system is designed so that you literally can't be a good cop, if you want to do good you have to become a DA

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I guess I was just befuddled at a post I saw elsewhere that marked this thread as a place where police goons gather when that hasn't been true for a long time.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

PookBear posted:

the system is designed so that you literally can't be a good cop, if you want to do good you have to become a DA

The system didn’t make that cop kill someone who was begging for their life on video.

Yes the system has issues but you know what would help? Holding your fellow cops loving accountable and when you see them murdering someone, step in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

trying to change our judicial system by becoming a cop is like trying to change our foreign policy by enlisting as infantry