Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

There doesn’t appear to be a programmatic way to do much of anything with Plex unfortunately. I wish there was, but I can’t honestly blame them as we’re outlier use cases at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
There's likely a way to do it but maybe not in the public API

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dsmif posted:

It doesn't seem to do android auto either.

It doesn't, but that's one of the features they're supposedly working on now.

I like Plexamp in general, but I don't use it on my phone much yet because often when I'm listening on my phone, I'm using wired headphones... and Plexamp has vinyl-like popping that isn't there in any other app. But only when using wired headphones, and only when using Plexamp. Regular Plex on the same audio files, or any other app on wired headphones? Clear.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just trying out adding my music to my plex library after years of using google play/apple music, might be a good option to move off paying the subscription service of apple music.

I think I saw sonos supports it, but carplay does not. Oh well.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

For those wondering, only plexamp does gapless playback.
Not a giant fan of the UI but it plays flawlessly for me.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's hard to decide if it's worth finally grabbing a lifetime Plex Pass, considering how focused they are on their own content, but unlimited GPU transcoding is really nice if you have the hardware for it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm really getting tired of Plex's fuckery. How is emby doing these days? Are there any actual open source projects that do this kind of thing that aren't Kodi yet?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

SCheeseman posted:

I'm really getting tired of Plex's fuckery. How is emby doing these days? Are there any actual open source projects that do this kind of thing that aren't Kodi yet?

Jellyfin (spin off from Emby) is open source, and doing "ok" so far.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

madsushi posted:

Jellyfin (spin off from Emby) is open source, and doing "ok" so far.

Jellyfin is a science project run by devs angry at Emby for going closed source. If you have one of the one or two platforms they have half decent client support for maybe give it a whirl but don't expect magic.

Users who struggle with Plex Media Server, other than the uber-nerds who are also passionate about open source, probably aren't going to have a better experience with Jellyfin, but that's just my hot take on it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

IOwnCalculus posted:

... and Plexamp has vinyl-like popping that isn't there in any other app. But only when using wired headphones, and only when using Plexamp. Regular Plex on the same audio files, or any other app on wired headphones? Clear.

This is what I have too, only mine is when playing over the phone speakers. I don't really plug headphones into my phone so I don't know if it does it more or less in my case. All my music is just VBR MP3 so it sure as poo poo shouldn't be choking trying to stream it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait wasn't Emby's one and only reason for existence to satisfy the OSS nerds?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RichterIX posted:

This is what I have too, only mine is when playing over the phone speakers. I don't really plug headphones into my phone so I don't know if it does it more or less in my case. All my music is just VBR MP3 so it sure as poo poo shouldn't be choking trying to stream it.

There's this thread on the Plex forum about it, though the devs seem remarkably quiet about this issue compared to others.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's this thread on the Plex forum about it, though the devs seem remarkably quiet about this issue compared to others.

What issues are the devs not quiet about? Lol. Plex is great, but their support team and dev responses are not, and that's super frustrating.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I believe I asked this once before but no one responded; maybe because there's no way to do it or no one else has the issue, but it's getting really bad now. Is there any way to completely disable the new Plex player? I know it's supposed to be "faster" or whatever they claim but I find it to be total garbage. It constantly starts at the beginning of a movie when I tell it to resume, it outright doesn't start playback at all on some movies (it's always the same movies and it's always the same thing; a loading circle forever), and it now does this new thing with my kids Peppa Pig and Ben and Holly episodes where it freezes on the credits screen and never goes to the next episode. It's not an issue with using anything low powered; it's happening on all my 2019 Nvidia Shields and the Plex server I use is in my house and is a Core i7 with 64GB of RAM.

I constantly go into settings and tell Plex to stop using the new player but it seems like it goes back to the new terrible one after a few days.

edit: it seems like there's a lot of people on the official Plex forums complaining about this going back all the way to October and there's unfortunately no fix for it and Plex themselves have said "we don't offer timelines". No clue why this new player has to be the default instead of it being an experimental feature that has to be turned on.

Burden posted:

Make sure you are doing this for the extras (behind the scenes, deletes scenes, trailers, etc) otherwise I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

The link is dead unfortunately but I'm not sure how I could fix it anyway. Works fine on my phone and laptop. On the NVidia Shield TVs I have, Extras/Scenes simply don't play. You just click on them and they do nothing.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yep, mine is setup as having a folder on a drive called \Comedy\ and I have a library called Comedy that is told that it is a Movies-type library (so it'll use the Plex Movies scraper or TMDb scraper, I find the latter works a bit better). It's as simple as that. You can then tell that library whether you want things appearing in the Recently Added Movies etc stuff on the home screen or not, personally I choose not to but that's down to taste.

Thanks for this!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 28, 2020

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Looks like you can now host Plex Watch Parties. Basically allows you to sync up a video with your friends and family. No need for Plex Pass either at this time since it is in beta.

Plex has been adding a lot of features lately. The skip intro, Plex Amp, Plex Dash, and now this.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The link is dead unfortunately but I'm not sure how I could fix it anyway. Works fine on my phone and laptop. On the NVidia Shield TVs I have, Extras/Scenes simply don't play. You just click on them and they do nothing.

Thanks for this!

I put an "h" at the end of the Url on accident. This is the correct link. https://support.plex.tv/articles/local-files-for-trailers-and-extras/

One thing I found with the experimental player on shield is to set it to convert automatically instead of play original quality. It still direct plays, but playing original causes it to crash a lot of the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Burden posted:

Looks like you can now host Plex Watch Parties. Basically allows you to sync up a video with your friends and family. No need for Plex Pass either at this time since it is in beta.

Plex has been adding a lot of features lately. The skip intro, Plex Amp, Plex Dash, and now this.

Oh neat, there was a third party solution I was looking at but integrated support makes life easier for sure.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

Chaotic Flame posted:

That did it. Thanks!

Edit: Apparently it didn't. There were some songs that weren't affected by this apparently so saw them at first but others are still Japanese even though they're in english in every other application.

I had this issue on a couple of albums as well. In my case the folders were in Japanese. I never bothered to rename them, since it won't matter in litterally any music software that reads tags, but in the new music scanner from Plex it did. As soon as I renamed the folder to the romaji spelling Plex reverted to use my tagged info again. :shrug:

cosmo321 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 29, 2020

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Will be interesting to see where where the plex share stuff goes. I use carcal.club for watching stuff with friends atm, which is basically a rabb.it replacement. We tried some plex share stuff in the past but it was super janky and requiring people to make an account so they could watch wasn't great.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I hope it gets to the same usability that synclounge has

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
A few weeks back plex media player updated on my second device (i've got a separate server streaming the media over wifi), but since this update there's now an occasional lag when playing videos.

The lag/stutter only lasts a few seconds and the audio continues while the picture freezes, but it definitely only started happening after the update.

Is there a setting that's maybe been tripped or some steps i can take to troubleshoot? Or should i basically just re-install the plex media player.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Plex player must have updated on the Apple TV, now it’s doing the Netflix thing I hate where it is going to auto play the next episode.

Does anyone know where I can turn this off? All I see in options are things to use the old player.

Edit: this is Player 7.0 and “Auto Play”, which looks like it would control this option, remains off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Settings > Experience > Auto Play

Apple TV has had that for a fair while, you must’ve had a late update.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Interesting. It has been off but sure was doing the countdown like it was going to go ahead and do it. Maybe next time I’ll let it go and see if it follows through, even though that option is off? My Apple TV is set to auto update and is wired in, not sure how long it normally waits between updates. Thanks for the confirmation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm weird. I’ve always left it on because I quite like it, but that doesn’t sound like the right behavior. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Think there has been an update in last day or two, my left bar looks a little different (plus of course the watch together thing).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

OK I'm freaking out a little.

For the second time, my on-deck is showing George A. Romero's Knightriders as halfway through, and the file cached. There's no way in hell anyone in my family or one connected friend account selected this and I've changed the password recently. Plex dash is pretty hard to make sense of but I can't see anything odd in there either.

otoh young Ed Harris, hot drat

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Well I was the middle of a migration and thought I hosed something up but looks like Plex isn't allowing sign ins. Unless you're setup for local auth you won't be able to view your library.

https://status.plex.tv/

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

OK I'm freaking out a little.

For the second time, my on-deck is showing George A. Romero's Knightriders as halfway through, and the file cached. There's no way in hell anyone in my family or one connected friend account selected this and I've changed the password recently. Plex dash is pretty hard to make sense of but I can't see anything odd in there either.

otoh young Ed Harris, hot drat

May check your signed in devices page? Revoke anything you don't like.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized I ripped all my Simpsons DVDs (seasons 3 - 11) and while I remembered to include the commentary tracks, I completely forgot the subtitle tracks (or maybe I was paranoid it would hard-code them into the video file so I left them out; I don't really remember as it was a few months ago).

Is there a place to download the subtitle tracks for the episodes, and have them as an option for the episodes? A few months ago I looked into ripping the commentary tracks from the DVDs I own for a lot of my Plex media but there was no way to "insert" the commentary track or tell Plex to look for it so I would have had to re-encode all my movies which is beyond stupid (why not just have an MP3 file with the same file name as the movie and Plex can figure out the rest??) so I am not too sure it can be done for subtitles but it would be nice.

edit: also I am looking to rip a bunch of my Blu-Ray Discs. I would assume MakeMKV is the end-all-be-all for this but I am getting conflicting results as to whether or not it actually decrypts Blu-Ray copy protection or not? I am literally reading both "yes it does" and "no, the Blu-ray rip will still be encrypted" and I have no clue what to think.

Also is MKV the best format to keep them in? I want to keep director's commentary, chapter points, subtitles etc. But my second concern is what will look best and also not have issues playing on any devices. I remember back when I used to rip my DVDs to pure mpeg2 (zero compression) a lot of players would produce weird interlacing artifacts and a lot of players would choke (even on a high-end system), which would completely go away if I ripped it another way. Will I have any issues ripping raw Blu-rays to MKV? Weird interlacing issues or Plex choking on the files?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 7, 2020

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

edit: also I am looking to rip a bunch of my Blu-Ray Discs. I would assume MakeMKV is the end-all-be-all for this but I am getting conflicting results as to whether or not it actually decrypts Blu-Ray copy protection or not? I am literally reading both "yes it does" and "no, the Blu-ray rip will still be encrypted" and I have no clue what to think.

Also is MKV the best format to keep them in? I want to keep director's commentary, chapter points, subtitles etc. But my second concern is what will look best and also not have issues playing on any devices. I remember back when I used to rip my DVDs to pure mpeg2 (zero compression) a lot of players would produce weird interlacing artifacts and a lot of players would choke (even on a high-end system), which would completely go away if I ripped it another way. Will I have any issues ripping raw Blu-rays to MKV? Weird interlacing issues or Plex choking on the files?

MakeMKV decrypts Blu-rays, and with the right drive it can decrypt 4k disks. MKV is just a container format - the video codec inside is more important for compatibility with Plex clients. MakeMKV just copies the source video from the disk without any additional compression, so however it comes off the disk will be the best quality. Most new blu-rays will rip to h264 (you can confirm with the command line tool mediainfo), but older disks might produce VC-1, which you may want to transcode ahead of time to avoid Plex having to transcode on the fly. Either way it's probably fine.

Your mpeg2 may have shown artifacts because the Plex server was transcoding for whichever client you were using, or the client didn't handle mpeg2 well. Either way I think common wisdom is to transcode mpeg2 to h264/h265 before putting into plex.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I just realized I ripped all my Simpsons DVDs (seasons 3 - 11) and while I remembered to include the commentary tracks, I completely forgot the subtitle tracks (or maybe I was paranoid it would hard-code them into the video file so I left them out; I don't really remember as it was a few months ago).

Is there a place to download the subtitle tracks for the episodes, and have them as an option for the episodes? A few months ago I looked into ripping the commentary tracks from the DVDs I own for a lot of my Plex media but there was no way to "insert" the commentary track or tell Plex to look for it so I would have had to re-encode all my movies which is beyond stupid (why not just have an MP3 file with the same file name as the movie and Plex can figure out the rest??) so I am not too sure it can be done for subtitles but it would be nice.

Plex has built in subtitle support where you can download them through Open Subtitles. Info on that here.

Edit: It does not say it in the article but you will need to refresh the meta data on your libraries or on the Simpsons specifically for it to download them. Once new shows and movies are added, it will download them automatically.

Burden fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 7, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Yes makemkv's primary goal is to defeat aacs. In fact many updates of it the release notes are just "adding new aacs version support." it can also do basic transcoding but I found that I liked just selecting the master tracks and bit copying them, then letting handbrake do its magic.

Interlacing artifacts are a result of poor transcoding. Were you direct playing them or transcoding? If transcoding you owe it to yourself to crunch them through handbrake to guarantee that the right options are selected. Make a custom profile for them, h265 if you can, and watch the magic of 25 years of software improvement compress out your dvds into a few hundred megs/hour for 0 visual quality loss. Especially animation, make sure to select that profile in handbrake. (It's been a year or so since I last mucked with it.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you all so much for the helpful replies! I will continue to rip my Blu-Ray collection to MKV, and in the rare instances where I have movies that are on DVD but never got an HD release, I'll convert those to h264/h265.

I also had no idea OpenSubtitles was a thing built into Plex. I figured downloading subtitles was semi-illegal. :shobon:

As a small offering, here is an Alexa skill I found where you can simply ask Alexa to download a movie using Sonarr: https://github.com/josephschmitt/alexa-libby

The command is "Alexa, ask Libby to add the movie Meatballs 4: To The Rescue". There's a pretty decent readme included in the download too.

edit: actually the readme is pretty bad, and this thing is confusing as hell to set up. It requires an Amazon AWS account, you have to alter settings in the zip file and then upload it to the AWS account, and then to top it off from what I can see there's only free AWS accounts for 12 months so ignore this recommendation.

I did have something called "FlexTV" set up a long time ago that could do the above but it only worked with Google Home and I got rid of that in favor of Amazon Echo which FlexTV does not work with.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 8, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I ripped my Bill And Ted Collection Blu-Ray; I put all the extras under "scene" but only a single file is showing up.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Why would it ignore a bunch of other files but not the first one?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I ripped my Bill And Ted Collection Blu-Ray; I put all the extras under "scene" but only a single file is showing up.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Why would it ignore a bunch of other files but not the first one?

See if renaming the folder to 'Scenes' makes a difference, but do the Plex dance with it first, i.e., move the 'Scene' folder somwhere so it won't get scraped by Plex. Scan library for files so that it removes the current 'Scene' extra from the Bill and Ted entry. Rename folder to 'Scenes' and maybe also try renaming each file to just 'Bonus Disc Part 1.mkv' 'Bonus Disc Part 2.mkv' etc., etc. Then move the 'Scenes' folder back into the Bill and Ted folder, and then scan library files again to the 'Scenes' folder gets scraped.

Folder/file scheme would be:
code:
/Movies
     /Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey (1991)
          /Scenes
               Bonus Disc Part 1.mkv
               Bonus Disc Part 2.mkv
               Bonus Disc Part 3.mkv
               etc., etc.
[edit] It's likely just because the folder is named 'Scene' I'm guessing, and maybe Plex is only picking up the first entry because it's somehow only reading the first file in the folder as filename-scene.mkv instead and as such, ignoring the others. Plex support articles shows that the Local Extras directory/folder for any scenes should be named 'Scenes' so hopefully that helps.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 10, 2020

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I think it is how the files are named.

Here is how extras should be named.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Burden posted:

Have you tried following this guide? I have. When it comes to having extras listed, it doesnt seem to work.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Burden posted:

File name shouldn't matter too much because it's in a sub-directory. It's likely whats said above, with the fact that the folder is named "Scene" instead of "Scenes". Plex is super specific about that poo poo.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Renaming it to "scenes" fixed it. :cripes:

Thank you so much. If I spent the next year trying to figure that one out I never would have. Why ever name it "scene" then? Plex shouldn't even accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anybody know why this setting simply STOPPED WORKING recently?

It's putting transcodes in /tmp (Centos Linux). I've switched the setting, I've tried it with and with a / at the end........this install and config has been working for over 2 years. The only thing that changes on this box are centos patches and plex updates.