Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One day a game will have magic be as awesome as Dragon's Dogma

Also one day there will be a Dragma 2. One day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Magic takes so long to cast Dragon's Dogma so that you have time reconsider your choices and return to the truest and most honorable form of combat: setting yourself on fire and clinging to your enemy's face.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kaubocks posted:

now that i’ve beaten the game i just kinda drove around for an hour loving around in town, and only just now found out that you can’t pull out your weapons in stores? can you not stick up stores in this game lmao. i guess they want you to go plan big bad heists but eh. one of my favorite ways to kill time in GTA IV was holing up behind the burger shot counter and just racking up wanted levels
You can actually hold up stores but only the 20 specific liquor/convenience stores listed here. In Online they have map icons (I think in single player mode they don't) and IIRC there's an achievement for robbing all of them.

You can't rob gun shops and clothing stores.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Leal posted:

One day a game will have magic be as awesome as Dragon's Dogma

The big thing dragging Dragon's Dogma down for me was how utterly horrible it was to fight golems as a magic damage class. And spirits as a physical damage class. You just literally can't kill them with your abilities and your pawns are so horrifically useless in these fights.

It's literally something I get flashbacks about whenever someone talks about Dragon's Dogma magic. It's why I'm posting now. I saw your pictures and the image of a golem reared up in my head.

:negative:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wonderful 101 So I'm playing it on my PS4 because my laptop can't even run FTL stably and my Swtich controller is failing already and I don't like they they've made multi unite morphs into something you have to buy and unlock now!

I'm really genuinely mad about the new version of Tables Turn, I hope there's some way to patch it to be able to use the old or new version of the music sometime.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Civ VI, if you're scrolling on the map with the keyboard while a popup comes up (which honestly happens almost constantly.) it'll just keep scrolling, and then when the popup is gone, you have to tap that arrow key again to make it stop scrolling in that direction.

I don't understand how one of the biggest pc games somehow is unable to bugfix what is one of the most basic 'baby's first steps to gamedesign / programming.' issues in existence.
It's just utterly baffling and it's infuriating how I'll just get shot off to the other side of the world pretty much every turn.
Just loving pretend like I released the button when one of those popups come up, and this would be solved. Or allow the scrolling function to still recieve inputs while the popup is open.

(Also I guess the AI's goals are really annoying too. Ais whining that you're not going out of the way to satisfy their goals the moment you discover them.
Kongo loves getting missionaries, but not as much as they love bitching that I'm not sending missionaries on 20-turn trips around the world to visit them, in the early medieval times, apparently.)

Also why even implement global warming and rising sea levels when even at higher catastrophy levels only a small handful of coastal tiles get affected?
And of course this is an ui-thing that's pointed out to you explicitly from the dawn of mankind, meaning that you have the option of worrying about 'hmmm but this might start getting flooded in a couple thousand years.' before you even unlock pottery.
The base game(standard settings.) apparently only sets 45% of coastal tiles as possible-flood areas. And as I understand it it's only 1 tile inland. Kinda dissapointing that they don't just generate heightmaps on world creation, allowing for ocean to stretch far inland in flat, shallow regions.

After all, it would be terrible if there were any severe consequences to utterly loving the planet over. And that absolutely wouldn't be the point of an expansion focused almost entirely on catastrophes. :jerkbag:
(There is a mod that actually adds inland flooding, which I guess I'll check out on my next run.)

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

dragdog magic is good but requires a lot of setup and knowhow to make it work, and theres 2 hybrid classes that get lots of fun magic stuff that are simply better, one having a couple incredibly strong skills with one being quite literally game breaking to some extent, and another being so durable they can tank pretty much anything and come out on top while doing damage in retaliation the entire time. The fact that they get the primary mage attack spells is what cinches it, there's no reason at all to play normal mage in dd except for getting their augments.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My thing dragging DragDog down was trying to beat the final boss of BitterBlack Isle as a Warrior. I loved the class most of the game, but the true form of the final boss is almost entirely airborne--even dragons for the most part will spend part of the battle scrapping on the ground-- and he has moves that make it difficult to hit him with a primarily ground based Class. Not to mention that if you are staying close to him like a melee class would, he has moves that are basically instant kills, especially for pawns you might have helping you. It is best to engage him from range and very, very quickly, neither of which it's something a warrior can really do. After struggling to defeat him as a warrior for far too long, I class swapped into Ranger, got a bunch of explosive arrows, popped some conquerors periapts and very nearly exploded him in one stamina bar with the arrow flurry.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 04:52 on May 26, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
All the limited time event spirits in Smash Bros Ultimate are permanently in the game it seems. I used all of my board shuffle items and I’m still missing two, one of which I accidentally skipped over. My depraved need for completion is dragging this game down.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

SubNat posted:

5After all, it would be terrible if there were any severe consequences to utterly loving the planet over.

The issue I'd have with that is that while you can plan for future global warming via power plant planning and the like, the AI doesn't care. They'll happily build every polluting factory in the game simply because they're buildings. So in a larger game it gets to the point where the AI is putting out so much pollution you can't possibly contain it short of taking over their cities and forcing them to stop.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Leal posted:

Also one day there will be a Dragma 2. One day

Technically, there was that Dragon's Dogma MMO :v:

I think the hope is that another Dragon's Dogma will come out because they finished DMC5 and Dragon's Dogma 2 was the other choice they were looking at besides DMC5.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

JackSplater posted:

The issue I'd have with that is that while you can plan for future global warming via power plant planning and the like, the AI doesn't care. They'll happily build every polluting factory in the game simply because they're buildings. So in a larger game it gets to the point where the AI is putting out so much pollution you can't possibly contain it short of taking over their cities and forcing them to stop.

That makes the game sound cool, though, so what's the complaint? "Save the environment through violence" worked for FF7.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

JackSplater posted:

man this game sounds more realistic than I expected

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Goon Boots posted:

Technically, there was that Dragon's Dogma MMO :v:

I think the hope is that another Dragon's Dogma will come out because they finished DMC5 and Dragon's Dogma 2 was the other choice they were looking at besides DMC5.

If they can wrangle the DMC guys again to do the combat for another DDog...

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

JackSplater posted:

That honestly sounds like a pretty realistic simulation to me. :v:
But yeah, I guess I'm not surprised that the ai isn't designed to work with the new mechanics at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've been playing the Jackbox party games a little bit recently and the core concept is excellent but the implementation is just awful. The main thing is the timers. Even the ones where you can set them to a longer time limit they're still way too fast. There's no way you can just sit around chatting and casually playing along, you have to focus 100% on the game or you'll miss your turn. Why is there no option to just turn off the timers? Aren't these games supposed to have been designed to play casually while other stuff is going on?

Secondly, all the themes and animations and other bullshit are just irritating. A no-frills, just-the-game version of these would be a massive improvement.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Tiggum posted:

I've been playing the Jackbox party games a little bit recently and the core concept is excellent but the implementation is just awful. The main thing is the timers. Even the ones where you can set them to a longer time limit they're still way too fast. There's no way you can just sit around chatting and casually playing along, you have to focus 100% on the game or you'll miss your turn. Why is there no option to just turn off the timers?

I imagine they need to keep some timers as all the games have online integration for the mobile devices- if the games could theoretically go on for hours they likely don't have that sort of network overhead for it. That said you can pause the game- but even the first YDKJ game had timers and was fully offline.

Tiggum posted:

Aren't these games supposed to have been designed to play casually while other stuff is going on?

I don't really feel rushed while playing them but they are definately meant to take the groups full attention. What gave you that impression?

Tiggum posted:

Secondly, all the themes and animations and other bullshit are just irritating. A no-frills, just-the-game version of these would be a massive improvement.

If you dont like the pacing, the visual themes, and the rules/constraints of a party game- maybe don't play that one? It sounds like your expectiations are a bit off.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just Offscreen posted:

That said you can pause the game
Can you? How?

Just Offscreen posted:

I don't really feel rushed while playing them but they are definately meant to take the groups full attention. What gave you that impression?
Just the whole concept. They're basically just parlour games and it's pretty rare for those to include time limits (in my experience) because they're not meant to be serious competitions just something to do at a party. It's expected that people's attention is going to wander.

Just Offscreen posted:

If you dont like the pacing, the visual themes, and the rules/constraints of a party game- maybe don't play that one?
I generally do like the games and I enjoy playing them. I'd just enjoy them more if they changed a couple of things. That's kind of the point of this thread.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

some of the newer jackbox games definitely go overboard on the zany clips, jokes, transitions etc. The version of You Don't Know Jack in Jackbox 5 is the worst offender I think

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

some of the newer jackbox games definitely go overboard on the zany clips, jokes, transitions etc. The version of You Don't Know Jack in Jackbox 5 is the worst offender I think

I think the only game out of the different Jackbox packs where we care about hearing the game audio is the trivia murder one. That tends to have a lot of explanation. The rest we turn it off and don't miss a beat.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

My thing dragging DragDog down was trying to beat the final boss of BitterBlack Isle as a Warrior. I loved the class most of the game, but the true form of the final boss is almost entirely airborne--even dragons for the most part will spend part of the battle scrapping on the ground-- and he has moves that make it difficult to hit him with a primarily ground based Class. Not to mention that if you are staying close to him like a melee class would, he has moves that are basically instant kills, especially for pawns you might have helping you. It is best to engage him from range and very, very quickly, neither of which it's something a warrior can really do. After struggling to defeat him as a warrior for far too long, I class swapped into Ranger, got a bunch of explosive arrows, popped some conquerors periapts and very nearly exploded him in one stamina bar with the arrow flurry.

Getting pigeonholed into a couple classes that can cover every base is one of the biggest issues with dogma and it’s a shame that I always end up using the same few classes by the end of the game, because playing warrior earlier in the game where that isn’t inherently kneecapping yourself is really fun. pawn AI is so bad where it counts that anytime you specifically need to rely on them to kill something you’re in for a bad time, so mystic knight and magick archer become the least frustrating classes to play since they can easily cover both magic and physical damage, followed by assassin/strider/ranger since they still have ranged attacks. If you aren’t personally playing one of the correct classes you’re borderline incapable of killing metal golems because they all have one random medal that floats in the air and pawns refuse to shoot it, and several other enemies have similar issues, with melee-only classes being at the biggest disadvantage.

I think a lot of this would be fixed if you could just swap which character you were controlling on the fly so if your pawn was loving up and, say, refusing to use its bow against ranged enemies that you can’t physically reach while you were leveling warrior, you could just switch to your pawn and do its job before swapping back to the arisen

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That would be a pretty good fix, yeah (and possibly even lore appropriate?)--have the D-pad not be used to (just) give Pawns commands, but to swap between the Arisen and any of the assigned pawns as needed. Kind of like the FF7 remake has you mostly playing one leader character for a given section but you can swap around in fights.

Up - Arisen
Down - Main Pawn
Left - Guest Pawn #1
Right - Guest Pawn #2

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

That would be a pretty good fix, yeah (and possibly even lore appropriate?)--have the D-pad not be used to (just) give Pawns commands, but to swap between the Arisen and any of the assigned pawns as needed. Kind of like the FF7 remake has you mostly playing one leader character for a given section but you can swap around in fights.

Up - Arisen
Down - Main Pawn
Left - Guest Pawn #1
Right - Guest Pawn #2

The correct answer to both this and just making dragons dogma have normal online multiplayer, not like the mmo but just 4 player online coop. Hell if i could get that in normal dragons dogma i would scream but if they get that in the sequel thats basically one of my dream games.

Also i really don't find the pawn ai bad, in fact i often find them to be incredibly capable, but i also pick and choose my pawns carefully so they don't have worthless behavious at the top like guardian and nexus. Seeing those on pawns is a massive red flag, not to mention sometimes they will quite literally not have skills for any of a myriad of reasons. To not have a bad time you literally have to look through a few pages on the pawns info sheet and one of them is buried at the very end, and its the most important one, so that's a thing dragging the game down on its own.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think it's Utilitarian that's good at picking out weak points and exploiting them?

But yeah, Dragon's Dogma but instead of just getting my friend's pawns I can actually pal around with my friends would aces.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tiggum posted:

I've been playing the Jackbox party games a little bit recently and the core concept is excellent but the implementation is just awful. The main thing is the timers. Even the ones where you can set them to a longer time limit they're still way too fast. There's no way you can just sit around chatting and casually playing along, you have to focus 100% on the game or you'll miss your turn. Why is there no option to just turn off the timers? Aren't these games supposed to have been designed to play casually while other stuff is going on?

Also the very first Jackbox was the last one to have a real You Don't Know Jack. The fifth one had one, but it was so limited and didn't even have a wrong answer of the game.

Bring back straight up trivia you cowards.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I got the urge to play sims 4 again. Over the years I'm sick of the default sims. So I'm editing all the households and townies and getting rid of the premade ones and swiping those from the online gallery. Problem 1 is that it lags the poo poo out of my pc. I think the game is loading the actual models of whatever gets pulled up on the gallery instead of just the jpg images of the family snapshot cause there is no reason for my CPU to skyrocket to 100% while everything stutters.

Performance issues aside, the next big problem is that the filter doesn't seem want to work when I try to filter by the gamepacks that I have. And when it does want to work, even that can be a bit of an issue. Oh this sim uses an accessory in a pack you don't have, so they get filtered out.

And then following THAT problem, you got this next one. Custom content, and again the filter doesn't seem to want to work most of the time. At least with the gamepacks you can buy a gamepack and be sure to get a bunch of stuff. If you grab sims using custom content you're downloading all kinds of custom stuff, one at a time. And looking at descriptions, at best you'll be given a link to the website that has the content. That is the website, not the page that has it. I don't really want to scour 3 or 4 websites and play it by eye on what mods to download to make this character work.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Prolly a repeat, but Satisfactory is a game about making a giant, planet-spanning factory. It's a 3D version of Factorio.

The problem is, and this is a total Me Thing, is that once the complexity gets too high my brain can't treat it as fun anymore. I decide that I want to do some expanding, but then I realize that I need to start making Item As (which need Bs and Cs, Bs are made by Ds and Es and Cs are made by Fs and Gs) and it just... aaaugh.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

MisterBibs posted:

Prolly a repeat, but Satisfactory is a game about making a giant, planet-spanning factory. It's a 3D version of Factorio.

The problem is, and this is a total Me Thing, is that once the complexity gets too high my brain can't treat it as fun anymore. I decide that I want to do some expanding, but then I realize that I need to start making Item As (which need Bs and Cs, Bs are made by Ds and Es and Cs are made by Fs and Gs) and it just... aaaugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2oF-eZTD8

This guy makes it look pretty simple. It's a series so make sure you watch them all

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2oF-eZTD8

This guy makes it look pretty simple. It's a series so make sure you watch them all

That's what got me back into playing it for the first time in ages. :negative:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

MisterBibs posted:

I recognize that feeling, it's why I stopped playing Graveyard Keeper.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

bony tony posted:

I recognize that feeling, it's why I stopped playing Graveyard Keeper.

What killed Graveyard Keeper for me was that I just wanted to make a nice little graveyard, have my church congregations, and maybe have some fun in the meantime. What I ended up with was hiking and questionable morals simulator 2018. The alcoholic skull was a nice touch, though

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Just played through this charming legally distinct Final Fantasy Tactics game and it was great but I really wish I could recast buffs before they ran out. That is haste lasts 3 turns but if I try to cast it on a unit that has 1 turn left it just misses rather than refreshing the duration. There is a distinct "refresh the duration of all buffs on this unit" spell to make up for it, which is a really neat idea for a spell, but it's only on one class and it's just annoying how often I have nothing useful to do in a turn entirely because I cant refresh a buff spell.

Also the art style of the characters and the terrain really clash. Both look fine individually but the characters never look like they belong in the world sadly.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Semi-sequel to the previous bitch about Satisfactory, I said to myself that wrapping my head around all the poo poo I'm working on would be easier if I had an overhead map. Because it gets really annoying to constantly load my savegame into a third-party website to make a minimap.

Wait, I know the game has one. How do I do it again? Seven steps down through one of the game's nine tech trees.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Spek posted:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Just played through this charming legally distinct Final Fantasy Tactics game and it was great but I really wish I could recast buffs before they ran out. That is haste lasts 3 turns but if I try to cast it on a unit that has 1 turn left it just misses rather than refreshing the duration. There is a distinct "refresh the duration of all buffs on this unit" spell to make up for it, which is a really neat idea for a spell, but it's only on one class and it's just annoying how often I have nothing useful to do in a turn entirely because I cant refresh a buff spell.

Also the art style of the characters and the terrain really clash. Both look fine individually but the characters never look like they belong in the world sadly.

The character art in that game totally took me out of it. It looks like those cheap flash games slapped together to make a quick buck.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Bussamove posted:

The character art in that game totally took me out of it. It looks like those cheap flash games slapped together to make a quick buck.

Yeah, same. I was thinking of buying it based on good word-of-mouth, but then I saw screenshots and the character models look so drat weird and dumb it totally put me off.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

If you dont like the pacing, the visual themes, and the rules/constraints of a party game- maybe don't play that one? It sounds like your expectiations are a bit off.

Yes, this.

Also, timers are good because otherwise some people would take FOREVER trying to come up with a perfect response for anything involving typing. Or get distracted on their phones. We already have someone in our group who likes to bounce back and forth to Instagram while playing. At least the timer grabs their attention. Lastly, timers can add fun as people will certainly throw out some hilariously weird/wrong answers because time is running out.

If you want to complain about Jackbox, how about how only half the games are fun in each pack (but the good ones make up for it).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Rise of the Tomb Raider: There's no defining flaw, the experience is just plain dull and I have no intention finishing it. It feels odd to try and cram open-world collectathons into what is a series of linear shooting galleries. All the side-content is just collecting crap for it's own sake.This is a 25 hour hybrid of a sigh and a shrug.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Also, they constantly do weird torture porn with Lara consistently menaced by large men or injured by circumstance in long cutscenes. It was really over the top.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Captain Monkey posted:

Also, they constantly do weird torture porn with Lara consistently menaced by large men or injured by circumstance in long cutscenes. It was really over the top.

That was only really present in TR2013, the violence to Lara was way toned down in Rise/Shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the wild brutality in the first Tomb Raider was to show how out of her element Lara was and how she had what it took to survive the island inside her all along, proven just by making it so far and yadda yadda. Problem is the writing is not nearly high enough quality to prop that up if that was what they were going for, nor did the game really navel gaze ABOUT Lara while she's being used as a pinata, just "oh no she's hurt feel bad for her :(". You don't have to shove sharp sticks into her guts to get me to feel bad for her predicament!

Edit: Really that's an issue I held with all of the TR reboot games. They pretend to be about Lara becoming The Tomb Raider and struggling to maintain her innocence but they're not reeeealllyyy about that. That's just a pretense to give Lara stuff to do. Only occasionally does the writing remember "oh yeah heart of darkness Lara becoming numb to the killing or whatever" and when it does it falls flat.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:27 on May 27, 2020