Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If he had done his job they would know where all the founders are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Do the right thing and volunteer to take a pay cut so they can hire good writers.

Hey, I'm a fan too, and after hearing what the fans have said and going back through the proud history of Star Trek, I'm ready to take this franchise where it needs to go: Hard Men Making Hard Choices in Space 2020s America, but in episodic format!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Both Dorn and Christopher Judge have been wanting to do spinoffs focused on their characters for decades now, so I propose we make them space buddy cops, and peel off some of that NCIS viewership

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If he had done his job they would know where all the founders are

But it isn't like that would have made much of a difference. What were they going to do if they did? They couldn't possibly blockaded the planet and fended off the Dominion on their home turf. They wouldn't bombard the planet because they did try to stop the Federation's own attempt to destroy the Founders.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eighties ZomCom posted:

There was that episode where Kheylar first shows up, where a bunch of Klingons wake up from suspended animation and are going to go attack Federation outposts if the Enterprise don't stop them.
Kheylar is all " Just blow them up" while Worf is the one to come up with the plan to fool the Klingons into thinking that he's in command of the Enterprise.

"Samaritan Snare" is another ep that showed that Worf isn't just the "let's shoot them" guy, he totally had the Pakleds figured out before anyone else did and if Riker had listened to him there literally wouldn't have been an episode. If anything being the tactical/security officer is doing him a disservice, he's more perceptive and clever than any old jamoke who could aim the guns and (get) beat up (by) the monster of the week.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

But it isn't like that would have made much of a difference. What were they going to do if they did? They couldn't possibly blockaded the planet and fended off the Dominion on their home turf. They wouldn't bombard the planet because they did try to stop the Federation's own attempt to destroy the Founders.

bombarding from orbit: cowardly, dishonorable

beaming down to the planet and fighting the Founders one-on-one with bladed sporks: noble, honorable

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

The intel was about all the founders in the Alpha Quadrant and what shenanigans they were up to.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sash! posted:

I assume a lot of the founders locations would have been within the federation itself

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Worf on DS9 is so much improved over Worf on TNG. Whether due to budgets or what TNG relied on the idea that this one dude is not an Odo-like head of security but is all of security. It would make sense if the Enterprise was a warship but as a Space Cadillac the ship could really use the kind of nameless security guys Odo worked with.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tunicate posted:

Both Dorn and Christopher Judge have been wanting to do spinoffs focused on their characters for decades now, so I propose we make them space buddy cops, and peel off some of that NCIS viewership

Just put them both on The Orville as thinly-veiled Moclan versions of their characters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Worf on DS9 is so much improved over Worf on TNG. Whether due to budgets or what TNG relied on the idea that this one dude is not an Odo-like head of security but is all of security.

Not to mention that he was both head of security and tactical bridge officer, which makes no sense.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Not to mention that he was both head of security and tactical bridge officer, which makes no sense.

Yeah they wanted the ship to be huge but also every job done by a handful of people.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tunicate posted:

I've been saying for years that Dorn and Judge need to guest star on The Orville, as Bortus's fathers.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I've been saying for years that Dorn and Judge need to guest star on The Orville, as Bortus's fathers.

So far all the Trek cameos on that show have been pretty great (Picardo, Sirtis, Tim Russ, Ethan Philips, and of course Penny Jerald in a starring role) so IMO that would be amazing.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah they wanted the ship to be huge but also every job done by a handful of people.

You would think that there would be a department head devoted to all the scientific research going on on the Enterprise, and that the role would be one of the senior staff, but that was never the case.

Hell, there should probably be an entire diplomacy department too, but that seemed to just be Troi's side gig (along with "part time interrogation officer").

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Wasn't Data chief science officer?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Wasn't Data chief science officer?

He was "operations" because everyone recognized that Data was competent enough to be worth adding to any project, but not reliable enough* to be given control over any particular part of the ship or its crew

*Because it's easier to tell when an organic crew member has been subject to mind control, replaced with their evil twin, coerced into treason, etc.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 27, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Watching through TNG with full knowledge of the "they never take Worf's advice" meme is arguably the best way to do it.

We just saw Time's Arrow, and I lol'd when Picard literally sent a message 500 years into the future just to contradict Worf

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Civilized Fishbot posted:

He was "operations" because everyone recognized that Data was competent enough to be worth adding to any project, but not reliable enough* to be given control over any particular part of the ship or its crew

*Because it's easier to tell when an organic crew member has been subject to mind control, replaced with their evil twin, coerced into treason, etc.

Didnt they make up the ops role for Data pretty much solely to get him in a yellow uniform? Something about the gold skin paint looking real poo poo alongside a blue uniform.

Might be production hearsay or something dumb that I either read on a Trek forum in 1999 / just made up while drunk one day.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Drone posted:

Didnt they make up the ops role for Data pretty much solely to get him in a yellow uniform? Something about the gold skin paint looking real poo poo alongside a blue uniform.

Might be production hearsay or something dumb that I either read on a Trek forum in 1999 / just made up while drunk one day.

IMDB says yes, so it must be true

quote:

Originally, Data was going to be the Chief Science Officer on the Enterprise (like Spock was on Star Trek: The Original Series (1966)) and wear a blue uniform. However, the color blue clashed with the android make-up, and the idea was changed. Data was reassigned as the Chief Operations Officer and sported a gold uniform for all seven seasons (except for two episodes, which were; season four, episode eight, "Future Imperfect", in which we see him on the bridge as the First Officer in the possible future scenario, and season six, episodes ten and eleven, "Chain of Command" in which he's promoted to First Officer, and wears a red tunic).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

Yes, they went through a ton of screen tests with Spiner's makeup and decided that there was no way to make it look good outside of the gold uniform.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Tunicate posted:

I want The Three Musketeers, but with the Dahar Masters.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So far all the Trek cameos on that show have been pretty great (Picardo, Sirtis, Tim Russ, Ethan Philips, and of course Penny Jerald in a starring role) so IMO that would be amazing.

I've loved this idea as soon as I heard it and am intensely jealous that I didn't think of it first.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

McSpanky posted:

I've loved this idea as soon as I heard it and am intensely jealous that I didn't think of it first.

Klyden decides to present as her birth gender, and her dads show up. Or both sets of fathers, who else can we get in on this ? JG Hetzler is probably available...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Klyden decides to present as her birth gender, and her dads show up. Or both sets of fathers, who else can we get in on this ? JG Hetzler is probably available...

Klyden would kill himself before doing that tho, it'd have to be Bortus somehow. Or bring back the Moclan who fell in love with Talla, that dude got a super-raw deal :smith:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Watching DS9 for the first time, reached S1E5: 'Babel', and Quark trying to stay open during a pandemic and quarantine is especially hilarious and sad in the current context.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gully Foyle posted:

Watching DS9 for the first time, reached S1E5: 'Babel', and Quark trying to stay open during a pandemic and quarantine is especially hilarious and sad in the current context.

My latinum >>> your moogie

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t think Data looks that bad in blue tbh. Frakes and Stewart look awful in mustard though, we dodged a bullet there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t think Data looks that bad in blue tbh. Frakes and Stewart look awful in mustard though, we dodged a bullet there.

This is so weird

This shoulda been an alternate universe in an episode, I'd have been so unnerved the whole time

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Keep in mind this is a photo and not NTSC with video color grading.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My shock is that Wesley is apparently a commissioned ensign in preproduction

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Bloop posted:

My shock is that Wesley is apparently a commissioned ensign in preproduction

Psst, Guinan is in that photo and so is Beverly so it has to be at least at least a season 3 photo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Psst, Guinan is in that photo and so is Beverly so it has to be at least at least a season 3 photo.

That's true. Is it just a Photoshop then?

Bamboozled again!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Bloop posted:

That's true. Is it just a Photoshop then?

Bamboozled again!

Yeah, just some photoshop I found.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Keep in mind this is a photo and not NTSC with video color grading.

Also that a blue uniform IRL would reflect on his whitish-gold makeup, probably in a weird and offputting way.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, just some photoshop I found.

I wonder if anyone did one with the TOS cast in TNG colors.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
At least the colors themselves on TNG were consistent. DS9 couldn’t decide between blue/aqua or grey/purple and it drives me crazy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CubanMissile posted:

At least the colors themselves on TNG were consistent. DS9 couldn’t decide between blue/aqua or grey/purple and it drives me crazy.

Oh rly?

http://www.startrekcostumeguide.com/p/tng-jumpsuit-analysis-misc-6-continuity.html

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

McSpanky posted:

Also that a blue uniform IRL would reflect on his whitish-gold makeup, probably in a weird and offputting way.

I wonder if anyone did one with the TOS cast in TNG colors.

I'm convinced I've seen it before but in my efforts to find it I keep coming across things that trigger me DEEPLY

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Thanks you've just made my life worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

I'm convinced I've seen it before but in my efforts to find it I keep coming across things that trigger me DEEPLY

These all look fine

I mean that catsuit shouldn't be a duty uniform for anyone, but it looks fine