Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SebAndSeb posted:

Yeah they are on separate partitions, I shrunk the main C partition to make space for Ubuntu. I assume it is something to do with flipping some internal 'trust' switch (Secure Boot??) but don't really know where to start, at the moment it says BitLocker is suspended on the C drive, but if i turn it back on it will ask me for the key again when I restart and I'll have to bypass and turn it off again. Maybe I should have paused it before making changes like you mentioned, I was really just following the guide and it only mentioned disabling it if it was interfering with shrinking the partition.

I don't actually plan on storing any sensitive data on this computer anyway, I mainly use it for streaming Plex and drawing. But yeah I guess encryption is generally recommended since it's there by default.

I am planning to use it to follow an edx ROS course, and the course notes said it hadn't been tested using a VM and wasn't guaranteed to work. Possibly would be ok but I figure better to follow the supported set up.

You could always try turning it off entirely (decrypting the drive), rebooting to check its all good and then re encrypting?

It might take a while depending on the size of your drive but its something you can just leave going in the background

I'm running 10 and ubuntu on my laptop and it definitely can work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Have you tried Crucial's toolbox utility thingy?

Yes, but there's no TRIM command there. There's only a "sanitize" option but it tells me that is isn't available for my drives.

Klyith posted:

What is it connected to? Some older controllers can't pass trim commands. Depending on the age of your mobo you might have some sata ports on the chipset and some on a (cheap) integrated controller chip.

Also check drivers for your chipset / sata controllers.

Not being able to trim isn't the end of the world, the drive's garbage collector will eventually handle things. But without trim you're kinda back to the old days of SSDs where the advice was to keep 10% free space at all times.

It's an ASRock B540M Steel Legend.

Usually this drive has like at least 60% of free space so I guess it won't be a problem. I didn't know about that, so thanks for the tip!

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

Skarsnik posted:

You could always try turning it off entirely (decrypting the drive), rebooting to check its all good and then re encrypting?

It might take a while depending on the size of your drive but its something you can just leave going in the background

I'm running 10 and ubuntu on my laptop and it definitely can work

Hmm, I didn't realise that wasn't what it had already done, I'll definitely give it a try, thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mystic Stylez posted:

Yes, but there's no TRIM command there. There's only a "sanitize" option but it tells me that is isn't available for my drives.
You don't want that one, that's the secure erase drive wipe :nsa:

Mystic Stylez posted:

It's an ASRock B540M Steel Legend.

Hmm, that shouldn't have any trouble with trim. Do you have the AMD chipset drivers installed?

One other possible idea I can come up with for one SSD not able to trim vs others where it works, is a mildly faulty physical connection and the drive/controller has downgraded to some reduced-function mode to deal with it. You'd also see the drive performing slowly in crystaldisk benchmark if that were the case. It might sound loony but sata cables are more finicky than you'd think. They don't like tight bends or being folded at sharp angles.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Klyith posted:

Hmm, that shouldn't have any trouble with trim. Do you have the AMD chipset drivers installed?

One other possible idea I can come up with for one SSD not able to trim vs others where it works, is a mildly faulty physical connection and the drive/controller has downgraded to some reduced-function mode to deal with it. You'd also see the drive performing slowly in crystaldisk benchmark if that were the case. It might sound loony but sata cables are more finicky than you'd think. They don't like tight bends or being folded at sharp angles.

I installed that but it still says optimization not available.

I wouldn't discard your theory about the cable, because it is kinda tightly bended, but I'm not even sure if it's the one from this HD or the mechanical drive. Maybe I'll try looking into this.

On the other hand, though, I also ran the benchmark on it and the results seems about par with the advertised speed of the drive (560 MB/s reading and 510 MB/s writing)?

I could be wrong though because I'm not really knowledgeable about these things.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mystic Stylez posted:

On the other hand, though, I also ran the benchmark on it and the results seems about par with the advertised speed of the drive (560 MB/s reading and 510 MB/s writing)?

Yeah that's the normal speed of that drive in sata-3, discard my cable idea! I got no idea wtf.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Klyith posted:

It might sound loony but sata cables are more finicky than you'd think. They don't like tight bends or being folded at sharp angles.

Oh god, Truth. The time I have wasted by not just trying another cable right away...
I swear, IDE ribbons were actually more robust.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Oh god, Truth. The time I have wasted by not just trying another cable right away...
I swear, IDE ribbons were actually more robust.

They could also be folded neatly at 90° angles..
.. Unless you bought the rounded cables like me, because they looked cool.
But wouldn't that just hurt signal integrity? Isn't the whole point of the 80 conductor IDE cables to prevent interference between the data transmitting conductors?
Bundling them all together would surely put a stop to that bit of engineering. Still, they looked cool.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lol I'm not even 35 and I've gone from 5 inchers and tape backup to "I'm not buying a motherboard with fewer than 3 m.2 slots"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what is it with windows and randomly missing system tray icons? (this time it was the battery indicator)

it was more frequent on older windows, but still

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Explorer crashing can do that, and it has been, since win95. And Microsoft haven't done a drat thing about it (and they could, so easily). The tray icons of a couple programs I've been using for over 10 years still won't return, as well as some nice new ones.

E: Though so I don't know if it does that to the battery icon. That would be pretty hilarious.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

v2004 is out

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-may-2020-update-released-here-are-the-new-features/

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Thanks for the heads up, just downloaded the ISO.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Nice of them to make driver updates optional.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Godspeed beta testers.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Last Chance posted:

Godspeed beta testers.

Yes, thank you for your service. I'm actually kinda looking forward to naming my virtual desktops.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Didn't pop up for me on a check so I'll probably just forget about it for a week or so unless it gets pushed before then

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Is it time for 1909? Here's a handy Media Creation Tool link for 1909:

https://download.microsoft.com/download/c/0/b/c0b2b254-54f1-42de-bfe5-82effe499ee0/MediaCreationTool1909.exe

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Why do we want to install the one from 6 months ago? It's 2004 now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think they mean that 1909 is now out of testing phase and should be considered fairly stable.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That's for the weak of heart. Give me bleeding edge or give me death.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-is-investigating-ten-windows-10-2004-known-issues/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Whoa, since when did the MCT start caring that it's no longer for the most recent version of Windows? That's obnoxious.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Last Chance posted:

I think they mean that 1909 is now out of testing phase and should be considered fairly stable.

1909 was a glorified update rollup, you didn't need to wait this long.

For this one, return to your preferred level of caution for delays.

lol:

quote:

Difficulty connecting to more than one Bluetooth device:
Windows 10 devices with certain Realtek drivers might be unable to connect to more than one Bluetooth device.
If they can consistently connect to a single bluetooth device, isn't that an improvement for realtek drivers?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Don't give me Realtek, give me death.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral posted:

Whoa, since when did the MCT start caring that it's no longer for the most recent version of Windows? That's obnoxious.

Here's a quick way to get the 1909 Media Creation Tool working for build 18363.592:
  1. Download the 1909 MCT: https://download.microsoft.com/download/c/0/b/c0b2b254-54f1-42de-bfe5-82effe499ee0/MediaCreationTool1909.exe
  2. Download this .cab file so the MCT knows which images to download: https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/2/b/82b12fa5-cab6-4d37-8167-16630c6151eb/products_20200116.cab
  3. Rename that .cab file to products.cab so the MCT can find it
  4. Make a batch file (whatever.bat) with the below code and run it:

code:
MediaCreationTool1909.exe /Selfhost

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Klyith posted:

1909 was a glorified update rollup, you didn't need to wait this long.

For this one, return to your preferred level of caution for delays.

Nah I'm good, thanks.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Windows 2004™

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

doctorfrog posted:

Yes, thank you for your service. I'm actually kinda looking forward to naming my virtual desktops.

Looking through the release notes prompted me to try and actually use VDs, which I never have before. Pretty nice so far!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Be careful of the VD.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GreenNight posted:

Be careful of the VD.

:getin:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I figured that's how you got your name.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I figured that's how you got your name.

That's Dik Hz you're thinking of.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TraderStav posted:

Looking through the release notes prompted me to try and actually use VDs, which I never have before. Pretty nice so far!

They're very nice, it's the first time I've really had a VD really stick around and become something I have all the time. All the other VDs just passed through my system.

This authotkey code rebinds your mouse forward button into a flip-flop for 2 desktops:
code:
XButton2::
  SendMessage, 0x08 , 0, 0, , WinTitle, A, , , 200  ;0x08 WM_KILLFOCUS = tell active window to release key focus
                                                    ; prevents flashing taskbar (mostly)
  if (vdeskflip)
  {
    send ^#{Left}
    vdeskflip := false
  }
  else
  {
    send ^#{Right}
    vdeskflip := true
  }
Return

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Installed 1909 (and brought it current with Windows Update since the image the MCT uses was only at January's patch level). Aside from the usual need to re-disable a handful of services and scheduled tasks and set the window border padding back to zero, I did encounter one weird issue: Explorer's jump list was taking 1-2 seconds to appear every single time. This seems to have been solved by clearing File Explorer history (via Folder Options).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
People talking about legacy versions of Windows in this thread is very triggering.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Klyith posted:

They're very nice, it's the first time I've really had a VD really stick around and become something I have all the time. All the other VDs just passed through my system.

This authotkey code rebinds your mouse forward button into a flip-flop for 2 desktops:
code:
  SendMessage, 0x08 , 0, 0, , WinTitle, A, , , 200  ;0x08 WM_KILLFOCUS = tell active window to release key focus
  if (vdeskflip)
  {
    send ^#{Left}
    vdeskflip := false
  }
  else
  {
    send ^#{Right}
    vdeskflip := true
  }
Return

Very nice. Is there a way to tell it to flip to the next VD and then cycle around back to the first once it's on the last one?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TraderStav posted:

Very nice. Is there a way to tell it to flip to the next VD and then cycle around back to the first once it's on the last one?

Sure, you could do any number of desktops like so:
code:
numdesks := 3  ; <- change to how many virtual desktops you want
  if (vdeskflip < numdesks)
  {
    send ^#{Right}
    vdeskflip++
  }
  else
  {
    while (A_Index < numdesks)
    {
      send ^#{Left}
    }
    vdeskflip := 1
  }
Return
but my caveat would be that it's a dumb function that only tracks based on the internal knowledge of which vdesk you're on. Anything else that switches them desyncs the variable with reality, which is mildly annoying with a small number of desktops but worse as you add more. If you're on desktop 3 and the script thinks you're on desktop 1, you have to press the button 3 times before it cycles. With 5 desktops you'd have to click 5 times.

(I've not looked into whether ahk can grab which desktop you're on from windows somewhere, if it can it could be much smarter. But I only use 2 VDs 99% of the time so the dumb flipflop is all I've cared about until now.)

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Hi thread,
I've been trying to play some old games in windows 10 on a 4k display. Some games are fine, but most of the time the UI elements (mostly text boxes) are rendering too small to be playable. I thought knocking the resolution down to a lower res at the same scale might work, but that just shrinks down the game window. I've tried changing windows display settings to match the resolution I have the game set to but that doesn't seem to help matters at all.

If it makes any difference, I'm running from a 16" Macbook Pro via bootcamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On the .exe file, go to Properties > Compatibility > Change high DPI settings and fiddle with the settings there, see what makes a difference. Try the regular compatibility settings too, particularly changing to an older Windows version and checking the box to run it in 640 x 480 resolution.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 28, 2020