Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What's the difference between the Saga and non Saga for Total War? Is it just a focus on one period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Flipswitch posted:

What's the difference between the Saga and non Saga for Total War? Is it just a focus on one period?

Focus on a small period of time in a localized area, smaller budget and more of a focus than usual on trying out new systems that could be promoted to the “full” games later.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Eimi posted:

It feels like they are trying to thread the needle between fantasy fans and then their older core of grog historical fans, and I wonder how well this will please either side. Like for me personally I would much rather they just go full myth and give us cyclops and giants ala Warhammer. Though I'm still looking forward to the game because of the setting and time period it's in.

I dunno, i like weird alt-history takes. I'm kinda interested in how it plays out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anno posted:

Focus on a small period of time in a localized area, smaller budget and more of a focus than usual on trying out new systems that could be promoted to the “full” games later.

Is that the saga or non saga

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Qubee posted:

Is that the saga or non saga
lmao.

Troy looks neat. I'll most likely pick that up if it's good.

Finally managed to win a campaign and was playing Gongsun Zan, that dude slaps and it got a bit ridicilous with the huge horse armies I was running, oddly enough I didn't quite get enough of it and felt I could do more, so I've started a game as Ma Teng. :toot:

I picked up Mandate of Heaven & A World Betrayed when I got this as I fancied some of the content, though I'm still working through the Warlords, what's the deal with the Eight Princes? Is it any good? I'm not sure on how I feel about moving forward in the timeline as I quite like where it is.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

lmao.

Troy looks neat. I'll most likely pick that up if it's good.

Finally managed to win a campaign and was playing Gongsun Zan, that dude slaps and it got a bit ridicilous with the huge horse armies I was running, oddly enough I didn't quite get enough of it and felt I could do more, so I've started a game as Ma Teng. :toot:

I picked up Mandate of Heaven & A World Betrayed when I got this as I fancied some of the content, though I'm still working through the Warlords, what's the deal with the Eight Princes? Is it any good? I'm not sure on how I feel about moving forward in the timeline as I quite like where it is.

I really liked Eight Princes once AI got around to it. I know a lot of people don't like it because the BIG NAMES aren't around and whatnot. The new mechanics are neat, even if they're not revlotionary or anything and the Jin Empire being the biggest Doomstack around to prevent things from going completely murderous is a nice maneuver.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I just finished Lu Bu's campaign (on Hard) and it's really excellent. Super-frantic start, but it's amazing what a few well-placed ambushes can do to Cao Cao's onslaught. I love the headhunting mechanic. I also like that Lu Bu's a poo poo administrator who doesn't have time for your namby-pamby non-battle-related nonsense; it makes things tougher, but in a way that feels authentic to the character.

Now, because I hate myself, I'm trying to get the White Tiger Burning Bright achievement, ie: play as Yan Baihu and get 8 coalition members to join your coalition. gently caress this stupid achievement, and every stupid "make X number of factions join your lovely coalition" achievement. I've gotten to 7 with this one...and there's pretty much no way I can get an 8th, because everyone has either joined another coalition, or absolutely hates/is hated by enough of my allies, so they'll never join.

Anyone here gotten this one? How about Liu Bei's "No Small Deed Left Undone"? I might just end up skipping those two entirely because they're tedious and not fun.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How do you actually get people to leave another coalition or alliance? I'm trying to poach Zheng Jiang for my coalition with Yan Baihu so we can be the cool dudes coalition.

Also man a lot of the Ma family dislike each other.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Flipswitch posted:

How do you actually get people to leave another coalition or alliance? I'm trying to poach Zheng Jiang for my coalition with Yan Baihu so we can be the cool dudes coalition.

Also man a lot of the Ma family dislike each other.

Depending on how much money you have, how much they like you, etc, you can always vassalize and then liberate.

e: failing that, afaik you’re pretty much left with declaring war on their enemies, making deals with their allies, and hoping their allies run afoul of them. But if anyone knows a better way, please say so because I would LOVE to know right now.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 28, 2020

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Ok, how much time we have to wait to have a "Total War: Warhammer 30/40k" ?!?!?!?!? :smugbert:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Majorian posted:

Now, because I hate myself, I'm trying to get the White Tiger Burning Bright achievement, ie: play as Yan Baihu and get 8 coalition members to join your coalition. gently caress this stupid achievement, and every stupid "make X number of factions join your lovely coalition" achievement. I've gotten to 7 with this one...and there's pretty much no way I can get an 8th, because everyone has either joined another coalition, or absolutely hates/is hated by enough of my allies, so they'll never join.

Anyone here gotten this one? How about Liu Bei's "No Small Deed Left Undone"? I might just end up skipping those two entirely because they're tedious and not fun.

I've been trying this, the only thing I can recommend is releasing Governors as new Warlords to try to get some extra members. Regardless I've also been stuck on 7 member for a while now :(

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, this is the general Total War thread...

Does anyone remember anything important about Shogun 2?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Avatar Conquest was the bee's knees and it's a shame they never continued using it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Bloodly posted:

-Always build a level 1 market on very fertile provinces, recruit a metsuke and garrison hi mon the settlement for maximum cash. If you have less than five very fertile provinces, you can do it on fertile provinces as well.

-Ashigarus are the backbone of your army early on, and if you can make them gain experience and pile other upgrades through province specialties/technology, they turn into very efficient troops.

-Don't play with the Ikko Ikki on your first playthrough, ditto for converting to christianity.

-Shimazu, Chosokabe and maybe Date are good beginner factions.

-Keep an eye on the renown meter in the faction screen, it goes up as you conquer provinces and gain heroic victories in battle. A special event will trigger whenever it fills up and the game will become a bit harder, be prepared.

-Cavalry is powerful on the charge, but super fragile and expensive. Never frontally attack against yaris, even if they are lowly ashigarus.

-Some people gets frustrated with naval battles, you can safely ignore the sea with most clans.

Shalcar did a fantastic in-depth LP for this game, check it out if you want to know more.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there a consensus on the best Total Overhaul mid for Empire? Or should I just play Napoleon?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's Darthmod.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Bloodly posted:

I did a couple legendary play-throughs of FOTS fairly recently if you want to chat about that at all. ROTS is also an excellent expansion, and is particularly well-balanced in my opinion despite not really being celebrated in the same way. My two tips for harder difficulties are that you can trade temporary military access to the AI for large amounts of money, and that it is critical to pay attention to clan fame because it attracts attention from other clans.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

It's Darthmod.

Mind giving me a bit of the Pros and Cons of it?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Knightsoul posted:

Ok, how much time we have to wait to have a "Total War: Warhammer 30/40k" ?!?!?!?!? :smugbert:

Oh man, after having recently read several Horus Heresy novels, the period immediately after the unification of Terra would be a great start for a 30k game. You would have the natural progression of the Imperium expanding with a "realm divide" event culminating with the Heresy itself. Also, there would be plenty of opportunity to have strange alien and pseudo-human factions that the Imperium eventually exterminates.

Hell, the unification of Terra could be a saga title, as a test bed for the mechanics.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/D9W8Fvh.mp4

This game is seriously pretty.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

do you have enough shock cavalry? I think you could use another dozen

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

do you have enough shock cavalry? I think you could use another dozen

All shock cavalry all the time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Unacceptable amounts of melee cavalry in that gif. Lance or bust.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I've started rocking even more cavalry now they're completely free to recruit and it's great. Struggling a bit using Pearl Dragons though? They seem a bit weak?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah I've started rocking even more cavalry now they're completely free to recruit and it's great. Struggling a bit using Pearl Dragons though? They seem a bit weak?

Pearls require more help than the other Dragons to function since you need to raise their Evasion with the Sentinel buff and a Bodyguard follower. Once they crack 100% evade you can just laugh nearly everything in melee off.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

https://i.imgur.com/D9W8Fvh.mp4

This game is seriously pretty.
3H cavalry is a lot more beautifully fluid than in previous entries when it's running amok. it's hard to describe but it's very good.

Zane fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 31, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, I really love the fluidity of the game and the presentation, it's my favourite TW so far.

Just closed up my Ma Teng campaign, really enjoyed the cavalry heavy focus (played Gongsun Zan previously too) but the last 20 or so turns were a slog, Sun Ce just grew out of control and I had to bulldoze through his territories, the game really needs something down there to contest him I think. He seems to just become a superpower unless I can directly interfere early.

I want to do a Bandit playthough next, I'm thinking of Yan Baihu as he starts relatively near so I can try to address that. Is there any major differences in his starts? One preferable over the other?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The 194 start is definitely better for Yan Baihu.

With the 190 start you'll end up the only power down South after beating Sun Jian, so it's a boring steamroll since there's also not that many neighbours to confederate with.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Dramicus posted:

Oh man, after having recently read several Horus Heresy novels, the period immediately after the unification of Terra would be a great start for a 30k game. You would have the natural progression of the Imperium expanding with a "realm divide" event culminating with the Heresy itself. Also, there would be plenty of opportunity to have strange alien and pseudo-human factions that the Imperium eventually exterminates.

Hell, the unification of Terra could be a saga title, as a test bed for the mechanics.

drat true, man. I really don't understand what they're waitin for : it would be a top seller on the game charts, literally a goldmine. :lumpen:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rise of the samurai is one of the most tightly balanced campaigns CA has ever made. Unfortunately it also doesn't have cannons so eh

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Agean90 posted:

Rise of the samurai is one of the most tightly balanced campaigns CA has ever made. Unfortunately it also doesn't have cannons so eh

It's really underappreciated how good it is for everything to have a useful purpose that is effective without being overpowered. You can pursue a wide range of valid strategies and are kept on your toes by the AI pursuing alternate paths.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Bloodly posted:

-Your daimyo's Honour stat has a big impact on the loyalty of the other generals, and will even give you a faction-wide public order buff if you get it high enough. Try to keep it maxed out, and NEVER do anything that compromises it (like sacking a town, betraying an ally, or converting to Christianity). If you absolutely have to do one of those things, consider letting him die in battle immediately afterwards, so his honourable son can take over.
-The Metsuke agents get a passive skill that lets them manage towns, increasing their tax income. In order to get the most out of your economy-- and you NEED to get the most out of your economy, because everyone will stop trading with you when you reach the end-game-- you need to make a couple of mega-towns with the biggest possible markets in them. Ideally, you should pick towns that have additional sources of income, such as unique buildings, or Very Fertile farms (fertility applies a modifier to their money output). IIRC the only way to view fertility is in the tooltip when you mouseover a farm. In other words, you need to check all your provinces one-by-one.
-The techs for farms and markets are in the right-most branch of the civil tech tree; you should make them a priority.
-On that note, it's nearly impossible to complete the whole tech tree in this game; you need to pick which lines you want to focus on.
-Ashigaru units are extremely cost-effective, and they basically never become obsolete the way basic units do in other TW games. A unit of yari ashigaru in spear-wall formation can beat almost anything that attacks it from the front.
-You will experience big loyalty problems if you let a general that isn't your daimyo become your highest-levelled dude.
-Guns are not an upgrade over bows. They're armour-piercing, apply a morale shock, and are weirdly good at siege defences, but their cost and inability to do arc fire (or use fire/whistling arrows) limits the range of situations they're good in.
-The naval battles kind of suck. I usually just make big fleets of medium Bunes, and hope autoresolve goes my way.
-The realistic line of sight in recent TW games wasn't implemented yet. In battle, both sides can see everything that isn't forested (unless it's foggy). Also, I believe both sides' generals are always visible.
-Light Cavalry are actually spear-cav, so they get a bonus to attacking other cav, including generals.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Agean90 posted:

that's a weird choice, cannons were used in those wars

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
RISE of the Samurai is the one set in the fourteenth century.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Krazyface posted:

Actually the Genpei War occured 1180–1185.
:goonsay:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The three kingdoms era was given counterweight trebuchets so hey why not cannons

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Krazyface posted:

oh duh I re-read it to check and somehow I still missed that I had the word wrong!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Krazyface posted:

-Your daimyo's Honour stat has a big impact on the loyalty of the other generals, and will even give you a faction-wide public order buff if you get it high enough. Try to keep it maxed out, and NEVER do anything that compromises it (like sacking a town, betraying an ally, or converting to Christianity). If you absolutely have to do one of those things, consider letting him die in battle immediately afterwards, so his honourable son can take over.

I mean I wouldn't go as far as saying NEVER. I almost never see the need to betray allies, and sacking towns is extremely situational, but converting to Christianity is basically the objectively correct choice every game unless you're a faction with a monk bonus (albeit not for their very first game). It's also not that difficult to get honor over the maximum (especially by the mid game) which gives you a little bit of leeway to abuse it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Koramei posted:

I mean I wouldn't go as far as saying NEVER. I almost never see the need to betray allies, and sacking towns is extremely situational, but converting to Christianity is basically the objectively correct choice every game unless you're a faction with a monk bonus (albeit not for their very first game). It's also not that difficult to get honor over the maximum (especially by the mid game) which gives you a little bit of leeway to abuse it.

Yeah the maximum effect of honor is +6, but your Daimyo can reliably get +9 with just Vassals and Heroic Victories - and more besides from research, upgrades, and retainers. So you could sack every town (-3 honor) or become Christian (-2 honor) without any penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So for Empire, Darth Mod is better than Imperial Splendor?