Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

.Z. posted:

How does she feel about the 68% layouts? e.g. Drop ALT, no F Row and 3 less keys from the Home cluster. If she's fine with that (and also fine with taking her wallet out back and shooting it) the barebones Mito Laser Alt is a lavender color and would be a nice compliment to the Dark Magic Girl set. Available for $230....

https://drop.com/buy/drop-mito-laser-alt-high-profile

She is liking the CRTL in black backing so she will now journey into the wallet abuse territory of custom keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I ordered my Hades 68 three weeks ago and this drat COVID shipping delay poo poo is putting a damper on how much I'm looking forward to it. This stupid Razer Blackwidow piece of poo poo is barely holding on. Currently using the clipboard to paste the letter "n" any time I have to type it because it's broken along with the caps lock and left ctrl button

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What's the best mechanical numpad? I bought a cheap non mechanical one and it's super light and crappy (obviously) and I want something with more weight. I just need to to function like a numpad. I see some Varmilo ones out there, are they any good? I'd like something with some weight to it if possible.

The steel Cospad case is nice and sturdy - though the adhesive on the diffuser plate isn't perfect. I've got mine with a PCB from LFKeyboards that makes the switches hot-swappable, but LFK is one guy working in his spare time so the PCB took forever to get to me.

If hotswap sockets aren't important to you, though, probably easiest to get the whole thing assembled from KPRepublic and only have to deal with shipping once.

e: if you do get it from LFK, make sure you pick up some plastic spacers to brace the PCB against the case.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Please note that keyboard construction will also play a large role in how loud switches are. A more open design with a lighter backplate will be louder, in my experience. It's worth listening to sound tests for keyboards as well as a result.

That's a great point. Do you have any recommendations for keyboards that have the kind of build quality that lends itself to being quiet?

EDIT: I currently have my eyes on the Ducky One 2 Skyline full size keyboard, probably with MX red silent switches, although I'll wait until my switch tester gets here before committing. Anyone have any experience with this board or other Ducky boards?

Saddamnit fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 27, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Saddamnit posted:

That's a great point. Do you have any recommendations for keyboards that have the kind of build quality that lends itself to being quiet?

EDIT: I currently have my eyes on the Ducky One 2 Skyline full size keyboard, probably with MX red silent switches, although I'll wait until my switch tester gets here before committing. Anyone have any experience with this board or other Ducky boards?

I got my wife the Ducky One ... er, 1? the model that came before the befuddlingly named One 2, for her birthday a few years back. She loves it and says she can type most accurately on it, versus her work computer e.g. It's been quieter than any other prebuilt TKL I've used, despite them all having Cherry MX Brown switches. MX Silent Red should be even quieter.

I've also used the Ducky Pocket with Cherry MX Browns, and I liked the build quality and programmable keys. Not sure if the One 2 Skyline has programmability, though.

In any case, I think you'll be pretty happy with your choice above.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Speaking of kprepublic, has anyone ordered from them lately? I ordered some parts from them late April and while I can't say I'm surprised they haven't arrived given the current situation, but my inability to really track it is making me antsy.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Some Goon posted:

Speaking of kprepublic, has anyone ordered from them lately? I ordered some parts from them late April and while I can't say I'm surprised they haven't arrived given the current situation, but my inability to really track it is making me antsy.

All public postal systems are dealing with Christmas levels of mail right now and it is only increasing with social distancing affecting how many people are in the mail centers. It took over a month to get a package from Novel Keys to Canada. It will come but you are going to have to wait.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

redeyes posted:

I got one of these Akko 3084 World Tour Tokyo's because everyone needs a nice Cherry Blossom themed board. It's quite gorgeous actually and especially the space bar. Has USB C and Bluetooth. Love the keycap texture. Cherry Browns as usual for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085F29TJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i love this board and layout, but i wish it came in reds. I play a lot of computery games and I'm waffling between this layout, full-size, and TKL. Would this layout be alright for computer games? I can probably shove an external numpad on my desk for games that need it. Also are Cherry reds alright for games? I love my blues but they're rather loud.

E: I guess if I didn't like the switches, I could learn to swap them myself too!

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 29, 2020

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
It's more than enough for games, plus the benefit of having more mouse space.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ve been using the left side of an ergodox for gaming sometimes and it works great for me

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Has anyone else here tried QMX clips?
They definitely "work" to reduce noise. But silence comes at a cost.
I finally realized today why is don't like them so much.
They put a really weird preload on the switches to the point that they're overly sensitive.

My Cherry MX Blacks are preloaded to the point that I can't even look at them without making a key actuate. Like I can't even touch type because if you touch the key, or even blow on it, it actuates.
How the gently caress is that useful?

I mean the shortened keystroke is fine, but unless your switches only actuate at bottom-out I can't see them as doing anything particularly helpful.

They seem to work okay on my Gateron Blues but what the gently caress is the point of dampening a clicky switch.

That's like putting a silencer on an A1 Abrams tank.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

With the QMX-Clip, we have attended to one of the last disadvantages of mechanical keyboards, the clicking sound when the keys are activated.

:wrong:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I mean, keys can't click if they're always depressed. :colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
If anyone is interested in backing the K8 kickstarter you better get in there now.
There's only a handful left of each type.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k8-a-tenkeyless-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

I got the Hot-swap - K8 RGB Aluminium Keyboard (not the optical one). I don't foresee myself needing whatever switches it comes with though. I'm not big on the Gateron Red/Blue/Brown switches, so if anyone wants some switches, but doesn't want the board, PM me and we can work something out. You pick the switch and when it comes in I'll send them straight to you. If not, nbd, I'll just add them to the pile.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bear with me here is I try to articulate what I'm going for and probably fail at it.

I'm thinking of picking up a Sweet 16/Super Sweet 16 to get some functionality that my ancient "main" current keyboard (~2013 Razer Blackwidow) lacks. Specifically a good number of the app functions that are accessible via FN and the F keys (no function lock, thanks Razor), and possibly launching some programs or the like.

So this prompts two questions:

1: For the app keys it seems that you can direct bind functionality to a key, but how are more complicated scripts handled? AutoIT script calling?

2: Is there any reason I could/could not use a twisty knob thingy on the board for volume control?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If anyone is interested in backing the K8 kickstarter you better get in there now.
There's only a handful left of each type.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k8-a-tenkeyless-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

I got the Hot-swap - K8 RGB Aluminium Keyboard (not the optical one). I don't foresee myself needing whatever switches it comes with though. I'm not big on the Gateron Red/Blue/Brown switches, so if anyone wants some switches, but doesn't want the board, PM me and we can work something out. You pick the switch and when it comes in I'll send them straight to you. If not, nbd, I'll just add them to the pile.

Man I wish I had seen this a few months ago. I like my Tab90M but do wish there was an option for wireless. I'd prefer something with a 10key, but this seems like a good product.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 3, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Do you have any interest in offloading some of that pile of spare switches GnarlyCharlie? I've got some ideas for abnormal keyboard form factors I want to try out but China shipping is a mess right now and you need to buy 100 switches of one type to get a decent price from a seller I think is in America.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Oh god! I hosed up my K320 Nebula!
I think I burnt out some traces desoldering switches? I'm hoping I didn't gently caress up anything else. My ESC through F9 keys don't work.
I'm gonna have to pull it all back apart and see if I can figure out what's wrong. It seemed fine before I put it back in the case so I'm doubly confused.

mewse
May 2, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh god! I hosed up my K320 Nebula!
I think I burnt out some traces desoldering switches? I'm hoping I didn't gently caress up anything else. My ESC through F9 keys don't work.
I'm gonna have to pull it all back apart and see if I can figure out what's wrong. It seemed fine before I put it back in the case so I'm doubly confused.

You can probably fix it with a bodge wire once you figure out what the damage is. I took out a bunch of keys on the tkl board I was soldering recently because it seemed some ground connections were friction-fit somehow?? I soldered all of them and it fixed it

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Man I wish I had seen this a few months ago. I like my Tab90M but do wish there was an option for wireless. I'd prefer something with a 10key, but this seems like a good product.

There’s always the Keychron K4 which is a 96-key (so it has a good 10key) and is Bluetooth.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I did it, I bit for the k8 Kickstarter.

I will soon have a k4, k6, and k8. Now to figure out what kind of switches I actually want in my k8.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Finally got my Durgod Venus keyboard in from HK Gaming. Good god it is quite the change going from a full sized KB to a 60%, though I'll probably swap it out for a Hades 68 (65%) once those become available again in Canada.

These Gateron Browns are very, very nice to type on though, especially compared to the switches that Razer uses on their Blackwidow boards. Just as clicky, smoother feeling and not nearly as obnoxiously loud.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mewse posted:

You can probably fix it with a bodge wire once you figure out what the damage is. I took out a bunch of keys on the tkl board I was soldering recently because it seemed some ground connections were friction-fit somehow?? I soldered all of them and it fixed it

Yeah I'm in the process of fixing it now. Got the F7-9 keys working but I'm stuck on :f5:
The problem is that pulling the plate off the board would be a giant pain in the rear end because it means desoldering all the switches, but also, I shoved a bunch of sound dampening mat between the PCB and plate which made it even more of a pain to put together in the first place.

On the up side, if I do manage to fix this it's going to be the most amazing keyboard.
I typed on it a bit before I realized my top row was borked and it was HEAVENLY. The butyl mat made a surprising difference, when really I just expected it to add weight. It actually quiets the whole keyboard a bit and reduces vibrations from my hamfisted key-smashing.

onesixtwo posted:

I did it, I bit for the k8 Kickstarter.

I will soon have a k4, k6, and k8. Now to figure out what kind of switches I actually want in my k8.

I got the hot swap version because I'm sure I won't know the answer to that question even after months of owning it.
I'm seriously considering either Kailh Box Jades if I want to be a jerk, or Hako Royal Trues if my office mates complain

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 5, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The problem is that pulling the plate off the board would be a giant pain in the rear end because it means desoldering all the switches

The horror I felt at reading this prompted me to finally go back and fix the stabilizer I screwed up on my TKL project so thanks for that

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mewse posted:

The horror I felt at reading this prompted me to finally go back and fix the stabilizer I screwed up on my TKL project so thanks for that

I mean it's not SOOO bad. I do have a desoldering tool that works great, and I can get it done in about 20 minutes, but I would run the risk of loving up the traces again.
I got it dialed in when I desoldered my 310 Nebula and didn't gently caress anything up but man this particular keyboard seems to be a sensitive one. Like you so much as look at that PCB wrong and traces just lift right off.
They really cheaped out with the through-hole construction on this particular pcb of the 320 Nebula
I do not know whyyyyy because the PCB on my K310 (non LED) and the 320 Nebula seem perfectly fine.

It was a Massdrop special though so maybe that has something to do with it :shrug:

Edit:
I figured out the problem and patched it up. It doesn't look pretty but it should do the job. Painted some enamel glue over it to keep it protected.

Turns out it wasn't just the through hole but apparently I hosed up the trace further down somehow? There was a pin sized hole right in the middle of the trace but I have no idea how I managed it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 6, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I guess this is the best thread to put this in: Is there a piece of software that allows you to send inputs from one computer to another? Basically remoting in without caring about video, or a software kvm of some sort? I'd just use chrome remote desktop except the monitor sharing messes with things. Ideally, it'd just be a little window that pulls focus and has some basic info on it. Honestly, it kinda sounds like a fun project to try to do myself, but its a bit beyond my capabilities and if there's already software out there that does the job, why bother?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Synergy? I used it back when it was free and it does what it says it does. Not sure about any currently free solutions.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I guess this is the best thread to put this in: Is there a piece of software that allows you to send inputs from one computer to another? Basically remoting in without caring about video, or a software kvm of some sort? I'd just use chrome remote desktop except the monitor sharing messes with things. Ideally, it'd just be a little window that pulls focus and has some basic info on it. Honestly, it kinda sounds like a fun project to try to do myself, but its a bit beyond my capabilities and if there's already software out there that does the job, why bother?

I've used Multiplicity a lot as a software kvm, worked very well for me.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Mouse without Borders works really well for me (and it's free)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Some Goon posted:

Synergy? I used it back when it was free and it does what it says it does. Not sure about any currently free solutions.

Synergy was forked to barrier because of the company trying to make it non-free

https://github.com/debauchee/barrier

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Update on my latest fuckup:

All better now.
:feelsgood:

e; unghhhhhhhhh this thing feels so good to type on :flashfap:. Definitely worth the pain. I can't wait for my switches to come in so that I can do my 310 Nebula.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 6, 2020

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Recommendations for a US layout, Mac-compatible keyboard, ideally TKL, available in the EU (or shipped to here without too much fuss.)?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im starting to hate ABS keycaps. I guess I never cared or noticed but I kill them in half a year.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
Just got my Ducky One 2 yesterday and it is awesome. Silent reds rock.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

redeyes posted:

Im starting to hate ABS keycaps. I guess I never cared or noticed but I kill them in half a year.

Kill them? What do your caps look like after six months? Or are you talking about pad-printed caps?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

redeyes posted:

PBT caps are so worth it. This is after three years:

Some shine but it's nowhere near as bad as the ABS boards I've had.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Eyud posted:

Plus they feel so nice!

also hi thread, I decided to upgrade from my lovely first mechanical keyboard (Velocifire VM01, Zorro??? browns? but boy was it cheap) since I'm spending so much more time on my home PC now, so after lurking here a while, I ended up getting an MK Night Typist with Cherry MX Browns and I love it. My only complaint is that the numlock/capslock/etc. LEDs don't have adjustable brightness like the rest of the board's backlighting, but that is incredibly minor.

of course I've already started looking at colorful keycap sets, :rip: my wallet.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bolind posted:

Recommendations for a US layout, Mac-compatible keyboard, ideally TKL, available in the EU (or shipped to here without too much fuss.)?

If you want a Mac layout, there's this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3500 though I'm not sure what shipping to EU is like (there's also a 65% version made by Varmilo sold as the Ducky MIYA Pro Mac). Most non-mac layout keyboards should also mostly work with macOS too.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Eyud posted:

I'd avoid certain PBT caps. I bought the $30 doubleshot razer set in a pinch and it started shining within a week. The function keys also have pad printed volume icons that don't match the set and they conveniently hide it in the pictures of the set. I thought it was reasonably priced because razer made a ton of them or something, but it turns out it's like every other razer product and just junk.

The real cheap sideprinted sets on amazon that go for ~$20 are great if you want a cheap set that doesn't shine. They're smoother than other pbt caps but nice enough for the price. I forgot what they're a rebrand of, but it's one of the two companies that pump out cheap sets of okay quality. Their durability is a bit questionable, the part that holds the stem seems to be deforming on a few because it is really thin and a very sharp angle which isn't a good design for this type of material. So far they're fine though.

Probably going to end up buying a nice PBT set pretty soon. I hate spending money on keyboard stuff, but I use my keyboard with silent switches for work and having shiny caps doesn't look great when people are at your desk. Of course with covid, maybe I'll wait because we're working from home until the end of the year.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 9, 2020

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Khorne posted:

I'd avoid certain PBT caps. I bought the $30 doubleshot razer set in a pinch and it started shining within a week.

drat, that's impressively bad. Good to know though. The only PBT caps I've used are the stock ones on Topre boards and they've held up well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
The PBT keycaps that came on my Durgod k310 have withstood 3 years of abuse; greasy hair product, food, backpack trips, etc...
They still look brand-spanking-new.