Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

mind the walrus posted:

PHUO-- even on a very generous curve there has never been a single JRPG that told its story well

look at this loving guy talking mess on Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
More like oldjokeless

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gripweed posted:

The punchline isn't strong enough for that much setup

Actually I think you’ll find it was the perfect amount of setup for a great joke

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rainbow Knight posted:

look at this loving guy talking mess on Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
Isn't that one of those games awash in mid-00s poopsock humor complete with a dude who is "ironically" racist?

HumanDecency
Oct 5, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

No he's just a Republican.

Seems like he just liked Rudy. I wonder if he still does.

https://www.conservapedia.com/Adam_Sandler

I like that conservatives need their own encyclopedia.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

mind the walrus posted:

Isn't that one of those games awash in mid-00s poopsock humor complete with a dude who is "ironically" racist?

oh hell yeah. jrpg's aren't good :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Anyone who isn't flexible enough to kiss their own ankle probably isn't any good at sex

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

Anyone who isn't flexible enough to kiss their own ankle probably isn't any good at sex

Mmmh, too many loaded words here.

"ankle"

Whenever I think of a stereotypical goon I think of Ethan Suplee in Butterfly Effect

just rocking his hot goth gf

super lazy, doesn't even know where he is but stinking of hot hot monkey sex

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

non-vanilla sex sucks. karma sutra stuff is all bullshit and there are like 3 or 4 actually viable and enjoyable positions: missionary, woman on top, doggy and the fourth one is a wild card for a position i'm forgetting. the problem with most sex positions is that they don't actually let you see your partner's body especially if you're different sizes and that basically takes all enjoyment out of it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like when they are on their stomach and I can lazily pound them from the back

Althjofr
May 21, 2020
Ayn Rand's prose (not her ideas, or politics, or anything else, just her prose) is not that bad, and at times, like when it's not monologuing for 30 loving pages straight, even beautiful.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

manned spaceflight is foolish hubris and nearly all meaningful research can be done with probes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Terraforming Mars is a terrible idea and I would still be on-board as one of the suffering first-Gen colonists without hesitation, even if someone guaranteeing a cheap and painful death like Musk were running it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Terraforming Mars is a terrible idea and I would still be on-board as one of the suffering first-Gen colonists without hesitation, even if someone guaranteeing a cheap and painful death like Musk were running it.

it's not even terrible, it's simply impossible, the required energy to build and keep an atmosphere is far too high, and even if you do it there's no meaningful payoff except you just destroyed a natural environment

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

it's not even terrible, it's simply impossible, the required energy to build and keep an atmosphere is far too high, and even if you do it there's no meaningful payoff except you just destroyed a natural environment

If there's nothing of use living on it then who cares? Let's make Earth 2: Earth Harder and fill Mars with chocolate factories and theme parks.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

I do kind of understand nerds' obsession with space travel and living in space, but I think the appeal is mostly due to novelty, and would wear off pretty quickly. Maybe it could support a tourism industry?

I don't think people will really want to live there. It's just too uneconomical and too unpleasant. Some people in the US complain about flyover country--I don't really get how space is meaningfully an improvement over that, except for the novelty factor.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 14:38 on May 27, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

I do kind of understand nerds' obsession with space travel and living in space, but I think the appeal is mostly due to novelty, and would wear off pretty quickly. Maybe it could support a tourism industry?

I don't think people will really want to live there. It's just too uneconomical and too unpleasant. Some people in the US complain about flyover country--I don't really get how space is meaningfully an improvement over that, except for the novelty factor.

i think besides the question of whether it should be done or if theres any point to it people just underestimate how much it would actually cost in material and manpower, even if you dont terraform anything and just build some structures with scientists in it or something, the cost and risk is enormous and the reward is almost zero and there are no parties willing to take that kind of long term responsibility at negligible benefit

musk will pull out once the first astronaut dies on his watch to start weed farms with slave labor or something, the only reason he funnels money into it is to feed his ego so once serious setbacks start occurring he'll back off. state entities like nasa are dependent on funding and their funding simply isn't enough to really do it, nor should they because that money could be used for real research instead of showmanship

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

silence_kit posted:

Yeah I don't get this, don't get me wrong the moon landing was incredible and reading about how it came together is a real feat in human engineering and ingenuity, the buck kinda stops there though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah I don't get this, don't get me wrong the moon landing was incredible and reading about how it came together is a real feat in human engineering and ingenuity, the buck kinda stops there though.

This is the real answer to Fermi's so-called paradox; space travel sucks. All sufficiently advanced civilizations decide it's not worth it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The best part about this is that I bet not a single one of you bothered to see Ad Astra.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shibawanko posted:

i think besides the question of whether it should be done or if theres any point to it people just underestimate how much it would actually cost in material and manpower, even if you dont terraform anything and just build some structures with scientists in it or something, the cost and risk is enormous and the reward is almost zero and there are no parties willing to take that kind of long term responsibility at negligible benefit

musk will pull out once the first astronaut dies on his watch to start weed farms with slave labor or something, the only reason he funnels money into it is to feed his ego so once serious setbacks start occurring he'll back off. state entities like nasa are dependent on funding and their funding simply isn't enough to really do it, nor should they because that money could be used for real research instead of showmanship

Remember the space shuttle? That thing was fueled by NASA just wanting to push the boundaries and then hijacked by Reagan-ites

Can we put freaking lasers on it?

I think the whole project was bulked up just so it could work on and possibly retrieve military satellites

But before that well we had the space race and we didn't put foot one on the moon without it being about loving commies

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

This is the real answer to Fermi's so-called paradox; space travel sucks. All sufficiently advanced civilizations decide it's not worth it.

the way the word "civilization" is used by space nerds is so reductive and stupid

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I used to get so frustrated in the SA space nerd thread by the posters who would regularly compare the settlement of space colonies with the white American settlement of the West Coast of the US, and would wonder aloud why the US government isn't heavily investing in space technology/travel/settlement, since the Western Expansion of the US was such a huge deal and turned out to be a great success.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

I used to get so frustrated in the SA space nerd thread by the posters who would regularly compare the settlement of space colonies with the white American settlement of the West Coast of the US, and would wonder aloud why the US government isn't heavily investing in space technology/travel/settlement, since the Western Expansion of the US was such a huge deal and turned out to be a great success.

they always get out these dumb analogies like "in 1800 nobody thought we would fly, today nobody thinks we will travel faster than light" and poo poo like that, like they're in any way proportional

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Most human effort is for stupid and unnecessary things, but most of the people who complain about it complain about it because they want all the stupid and unnecessary things to benefit them as directly as possible.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pick posted:

Most human effort is for stupid and unnecessary things, but most of the people who complain about it complain about it because they want all the stupid and unnecessary things to benefit them as directly as possible.

nah its not that i just dont like seeing stupid people happy

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

they always get out these dumb analogies like "in 1800 nobody thought we would fly, today nobody thinks we will travel faster than light" and poo poo like that, like they're in any way proportional

Oh man this reminds me of another thing about them I get annoyed at, which are the following two opinions on technology development.

Opinion 1: If a speculative technology on its face is not obviously theoretically impossible using 0th order basic physics reasoning, then it is inevitable, and will become everything that was hoped and dreamed.

Opinion 2: Progress in technology development is always proportional to investment. Speculative technologies never fail to reach their full potential due to being based on bad ideas. Instead, technologies can only be failed by lack of investment.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

Oh man this reminds me of another thing about them I get annoyed at, which are the following two opinions on technology development.

Opinion 1: If a speculative technology on its face is not obviously theoretically impossible using 0th order basic physics reasoning, then it is inevitable, and will become everything that was hoped and dreamed.

Opinion 2: Progress in technology development is always proportional to investment. Speculative technologies never fail to reach their full potential due to being based on bad ideas. Instead, technologies can only be failed by lack of investment.

oh yeah especially that first one and then they immediately go into the "class 3 civilization" crap about dyson spheres and other ridiculous nonsense

part of it is techbro ideology where they want to believe that any problem can be solved with technology, money and time and part of it is also that most space nerds aren't actually interested in space itself but just in the fantasy of conquest and Great Men and stuff

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Shibawanko posted:

nah its not that i just dont like seeing stupid people happy
then keep posting hahaha!

wait...

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Space conquest is nothing for idle fantasy.

It's serious business and we should treat it as such because it's going to be a lot of work.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Frankly I think we should work on keeping the planet we've already settled habitable, before we try to make others habitable. Prove we're responsible with one before we get another.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
gently caress Mars, I want to live in a dome on the seafloor.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If you want a snack it's hard to beat peanut butter and celery. The peanut butter makes it hearty and filling, but the celery makes it light and refreshing. Plus all the fiber from the celery means it won't stick around on ya.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Is that rare? I love that.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

gently caress Mars, I want to live in a dome on the seafloor.

You get Pod 6.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pod six is jerks!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
People who turn off avatars on SA are fools and cowards.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PMush Perfect posted:

People who turn off avatars on SA are fools and cowards.

I've been on this site for over 15 years and never knew that was an option. :psyduck:

Either way, gently caress that noise. I paid $10 so everyone can bask in the glory of Ninja Brian. That means loving everybody. :colbert:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Charlie Feathers version of folsom prison blues > Johnny Cash version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
The Spicy Double Western is literally just a regular double western with jalapenos. And it's 100% better now.