Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

theflyingexecutive posted:

If you ever want to imagine what the future of video games is like
:discourse:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It’s 4pm, time for your Mario half-pressing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh I didn't even watch the video at first. I thought it was Mario with his head replaced by a Thwomp.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the musical timing on that first thwomp grunt is fantastic

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Realised I'd not got round to finishing Mafia 3 - it has an interesting car physics model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTMjZKsrysY

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

JingleBells posted:

Realised I'd not got round to finishing Mafia 3 - it has an interesting car physics model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTMjZKsrysY

Mafia III can be super glitchy but the driving physics are excellent. Drifting a muscle car around a corner is never not satisfying in that game.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Skip to 1:15 for some incredible glitches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdOdKm7y3fA&t=75s

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Mafia 3 and cars you say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyWXegMsOzU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Slickdrac posted:

Holy crap, thats beyond broken. How can they gently caress a game up THAT much?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Cars in mafia feel like actual cars from the 60s and it owns

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

GyverMac posted:

Holy crap, thats beyond broken. How can they gently caress a game up THAT much?

I really want to know what was going on behind the scenes to make that guy's rockets have random starting spots but still hit the right target. What string of weird events lined up to make that a reproducible behavior? Does hitting the trigger signal the game to spawn a random projectile somewhere headed towards what he was pointing at?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wish more games with driving had rear-view mirrors.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

mmj posted:

I really want to know what was going on behind the scenes to make that guy's rockets have random starting spots but still hit the right target. What string of weird events lined up to make that a reproducible behavior? Does hitting the trigger signal the game to spawn a random projectile somewhere headed towards what he was pointing at?

"Shooting the floor randomly kills other players" is the one that gets me.

Maybe the game has some sort of global identifiers for objects in the world, and they're getting shuffled around somehow? So "floor collider" ends up getting confused for "player 2's collider" and "rocket launcher projectile spawn point" gets mixed up with "random light or particle effect up in the sky". It's still such a deep level of brokenness that I'm amazed the game wasn't just crashing constantly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Slickdrac posted:

That was amazing. Shoot the floor and kill a random player, anywhere.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That was amazing. Shoot the floor and kill a random player, anywhere.

I wanna see the outcome of a match where that's all literally everyone does. Just spawn, immediately start shooting at the ground, see who wins

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have no idea why the game suddenly decided to render a huge head outside the helicopter, but okay I guess!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

GyverMac posted:

I have no idea why the game suddenly decided to render a huge head outside the helicopter, but okay I guess!

Why do people keep claiming features are bugs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh my god i thought that was a dumpster with a fat pig stuck in it and its butt was caught in some chickenwire outside

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0o0ijepOes

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MOISTURIZE ME

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Triarii posted:

"Shooting the floor randomly kills other players" is the one that gets me.

Maybe the game has some sort of global identifiers for objects in the world, and they're getting shuffled around somehow? So "floor collider" ends up getting confused for "player 2's collider" and "rocket launcher projectile spawn point" gets mixed up with "random light or particle effect up in the sky". It's still such a deep level of brokenness that I'm amazed the game wasn't just crashing constantly.

More likely, it’s poorly-coded auto-aim. This is a port of a console shooter; there’s going to be auto-aim, and that team clearly has no idea how to adapt things like that to mouse controls.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In my own experience, auto-aim for console games mostly adjusts your actual aim, as in your on-screen crosshair or equivalent. It doesn't make your shots arbitrarily teleport to your a target. That would be an impressive gently caress-up alright.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Thats actually sorta how it works in destiny and i think that was how it worked in halo, rather than adjusting your aim there was a minor amount of magnetism towards weak points so that nearly headshots became headshots on weapons that take more effort to get them, like snipers or semi auto rifles. I can sorta see how you could gently caress up bullet magentism into shooting people anywhere.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Still doesn’t explain how shooting the floor just kills someone else at random, though. :psyduck:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah even allowing that it's overzealous bullet snapping, why would it hit teammates?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Regalingualius posted:

Still doesn’t explain how shooting the floor just kills someone else at random, though. :psyduck:
Consider that there might be a function of bullet magnetism based on distance from the gun to the point of impact, to make close range "duels" go more smoothly. Divide by that distance (it being very small in this case) and suddenly you're mapping people with a shotgun.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

MOISTURIZE ME
hahahaha christ I've never even seen Doctor Who but I get this

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It wasn't to do with autoaim as such.

A Dude at 343 posted:

The Halo 2 projectiles issue was fun…. the first time it happened.

The issue was related to interpolation code that was added in fairly late and is only compiled in PC builds, and unintentionally the dedicated server build. Xbox builds do not compile the interpolation code. One change for interpolation was in a function that gets the camera position of a biped. Players control bipeds. At most, there are four local players, or ‘users’. This function was tweaked so that it would update and read from the interpolation data for the user controlling that biped. However, it was not handling the case where the user controlling the biped did not exist on that machine. So, the user index for non-local bipeds would be -1, which then caused entirely different memory in the interpolation state to be written to and read from. Well, this is further complicated by the fact that this same code path is used by the function that creates a weapon’s projectiles. Because to do that, the game needs to know where the player’s camera was aiming. When it comes to the host and remote players, the same code path is still taken but using the predicted weapon fire state of the remote player. Not all weapons are fired in the same predictive manner, which is why some weapons would inflict damage, while other weapons would not.

The fix here was one, not compile the code for the dedicated server, but also two, guard against cases where the user index was -1.

Halo 3 has various achievements related to players looking at very specific points on very specific maps. One of those maps is Valhalla (internally known as Riverworld). The code that performed these checks, once again, got the user index for a given player…but failed to sanity check that it was not -1, meaning that player was not local to the machine. It would then take that user index and use it to read and write from a static array that tracked how long players were looking at the sign on Valhalla that triggered the achievement after two seconds.

As it turns out, in the Xbox build that shipped with Halo 2’s release, the data immediately before that static array was the pointer to an address where we map some physical memory. What do we put in physical memory? All teh thingz! Game data, textures, you name it! Well, things don’t work so well if you say, zap that pointer with a zero (aka, NULL) or assign it with a game time which is very much not a valid address or more entertainingly, it is a valid address and then you get some very bad things to show up before crashing.

To make matters worse, the order static data appears in the executable will not always be the same. New code is added, some is removed, or a different build machine is used on the farm from the previous build. So, it could seem like it “works on my machine!”, or you load a debug build and nothing is going amuck. Now you must investigate things in a build with no debug code and with all the optimizations possible enabled. That is never fun.

Anyway, the fix? Check for -1. Do not do all teh thingz. Problem solved.

Here is a picture of the code that was ultimately doing The Bads. This has lived in MCC since 2014. Turns out landmines are not limited to Halo 3 gameplay, but the code too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's a great story and a good example of how an issue might end up being nowhere near where the behavior seems to take place

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wait... so, the code causing the bug wasn't even in the same game as where the bug happened?

That's actually kind of amazing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
From what I'm taking from it, it's that they tried to use Halo 3 achievement recognition code naively imported into the Halo 2 PC release and accidentally ended up getting something that treated looking at a specific part of the map as looking at a player due to pointer shenanigans. So, naturally, if you shoot that part of the map (which incidentally ends up being all of the ground) you are also shooting a non-local player, because clearly the pointer says so.

That is... convoluted, but I can see how it happened.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

quote:

zero (aka, NULL)

:thunk:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In C++, a pointer to 0x0 is also called the null pointer.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cleretic posted:

so, the code causing the bug wasn't even in the same game as where the bug happened?

Sad that this is too long to be a thread title.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sad that this is too long to be a thread title.

Especially since it's so topical. This is the year of spreading the bug.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

PYF Game Glitch: so, the code causing the bug wasn't even in the same game does fit.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

KennyMan666 posted:

PYF Game Glitch: so, the code causing the bug wasn't even in the same game does fit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

KennyMan666 posted:

PYF Game Glitch: so, the code causing the bug wasn't even in the same game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

PYF Game Glitch: so, the code causing the bug wasn't even in the same game