Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I currently have a delidded 8700K, and my brother has an 8400. We are both using mITX boards/cases.

At this point, it looks like the 10600K is basically an 8700K, the 10700K is a 9900K and the 10900K is a new 10-thread beast that's going to thermal throttle itself into oblivion if it even hears the word ITX.

I don't think there are huge gains from upgrading from an 8700K, but my brother has been complaining about frame drops in some games... so maybe get a 9700K for him at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
You might want to see if it's his graphics card bottlenecking his system first. I'm running a 4790k and a 1070 and in theory I need to replace the graphics card to get better FPS in the games I play.
I'm planning on grabbing a 10600k* only because I'll need to replace my motherboard/ram anyway so I may as well get the new socket now, and one of the new 3-series Nvidia cards later.

*which can apparently be overclocked to match the performance of a stock 10900k...

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Nutsak posted:

You might want to see if it's his graphics card bottlenecking his system first. I'm running a 4790k and a 1070 and in theory I need to replace the graphics card to get better FPS in the games I play.
I'm planning on grabbing a 10600k* only because I'll need to replace my motherboard/ram anyway so I may as well get the new socket now, and one of the new 3-series Nvidia cards later.

*which can apparently be overclocked to match the performance of a stock 10900k...
I’m on a 1276v3(basically a 4790) and I’m gonna wait until DDR5 until I replace it since I’m on a 4K monitor and will have to run games in 1080p until nVidia catches up anyway, and I’m not springing for a 3080 Ti, they can eat my rear end.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can't imagine upgrading after 2 CPU generations. I guess when I was in high school or college my hardware moved faster. Right now I'm still on 4th gen :downs:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

still using a Gulftown

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

I can't imagine upgrading after 2 CPU generations. I guess when I was in high school or college my hardware moved faster. Right now I'm still on 4th gen :downs:

Is it time to upgrade my Tbird?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FuturePastNow posted:

still using a Gulftown

My second tier server is a HP Z400 running a X5650 (upgraded from a W3565), although the DIMMs have started making GBS threads the bed en mass now, had two failures in three months and I think a third one just failed. At least it’s DDR3 so I still have a chance of finding some new-ish DIMMs.

It actually outlived its replacement, the DIY microserver I built poo poo the bed due to the USB-to-SATA adapter I was booting from, and the Z400 was taking up the slack. have a X99 WS/IPMI and a 1660v3 to replace it but I’ve talked myself into a Fractal 7 XL to replace it instead of the random case I was going to use, but not quite into spending the money yet, as this month has been :shepspends:

Once I get that fixed the Z400 will become a machine for hosting my SCSI card to drive my ancient 4x5 scanner and maybe for the firewire if I ever get a nice Nikon film scanner for 120/35mm, so... it will live on.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 27, 2020

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I apologize if this has been answered but would a 6700k be a reasonable upgrade from a 6600k or am I looking at buying a new mobo/processor

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cage Kicker posted:

I apologize if this has been answered but would a 6700k be a reasonable upgrade from a 6600k or am I looking at buying a new mobo/processor

at this point you're pretty much throwing good money after bad, just pony up for a 3600 and a new mobo.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cage Kicker posted:

If you can get it for <$50, sure, why not? If you mean is it worth the $300 that retailers seem to want for it ($250 on eBay, $175ish used), then no, it is not. As Paul said, just get a 3600 + mobo for about the same price.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

My second tier server is a HP Z400 running a X5650 (upgraded from a W3565), although the DIMMs have started making GBS threads the bed en mass now, had two failures in three months and I think a third one just failed. At least it’s DDR3 so I still have a chance of finding some new-ish DIMMs.

It actually outlived its replacement, the DIY microserver I built poo poo the bed due to the USB-to-SATA adapter I was booting from, and the Z400 was taking up the slack. have a X99 WS/IPMI and a 1660v3 to replace it but I’ve talked myself into a Fractal 7 XL to replace it instead of the random case I was going to use, but not quite into spending the money yet, as this month has been :shepspends:

Once I get that fixed the Z400 will become a machine for hosting my SCSI card to drive my ancient 4x5 scanner and maybe for the firewire if I ever get a nice Nikon film scanner for 120/35mm, so... it will live on.
I've been looking at X5690s on ebay for my server to replace the E5620s - they're insanely cheap and aside from the IPC improvements between Westmere-EP and Sandy Bridge it's basically the same CPU as what I have in my current workstation/gaming machine, as far as I can tell. Just a tad bit noisier.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ratbert90 posted:

Is it time to upgrade my Tbird?

This is the Intel thread homie

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I still think the Intel and AMD threads should be collapsed into a single x86 thread.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still think the Intel and AMD threads should be collapsed into a single x86 thread.

:agreed: then start poo poo against an ARM thread

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Agreed to both.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Figures that's what the intel thread would say about now

;)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ARM in the datacenter is the 2010s equivalent of Linux on the desktop :ninja:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

This is the Intel thread homie

Sorry! Is it time to upgrade my Prescott? I think I have a failing RDRAM module.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ratbert90 posted:

Sorry! Is it time to upgrade my Prescott? I think I have a failing RDRAM module.

My dual core dual socket 90nm Netburst Xeons are fine for daily driving :colbert:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's linux in the data center and arm on the desktop!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

I've been looking at X5690s on ebay for my server to replace the E5620s - they're insanely cheap and aside from the IPC improvements between Westmere-EP and Sandy Bridge it's basically the same CPU as what I have in my current workstation/gaming machine, as far as I can tell. Just a tad bit noisier.

like usual, the top Westmere SKUs have a very steep price increase for a pretty small increase in performance. Last I checked the X5670 was $20 and the X5690 was still like $90. I think that's not money well-spent there, the X5670 absolutely makes sense for a cheap performance boost on existing hardware but if you're going to drop an additional $140 (for two CPUs) for basically 300 MHz more clock, that's a signal that you actually do care about performance/efficiency/etc and I think you're better off trying to move to something newer.

it's ultimately your money though and if you want to cram on a bunch of cheap RAM and you don't want to shell out for Sandy Bridge-E or Haswell-E then maybe it makes sense.

Food for thought though, a 1660v3 is basically $150 at this point, can take ECC RDIMMs, and overclocked to 4 GHz or so the 8 Haswell-E cores will absolutely cream the 12 Westmere cores on the X5650. Even if they aren't "dedicated cores", it can still task swap and perform better than the 12 dedicated cores on Westmere. Or you can see if there are still any deals on those dual-socket Intel server boards and do a dual 2650v3 build or whatever.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 27, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

like usual, the top Westmere SKUs have a very steep price increase for a pretty small increase in performance. Last I checked the X5670 was $20 and the X5690 was still like $90. I think that's not money well-spent there, the X5670 absolutely makes sense for a cheap performance boost on existing hardware but if you're going to drop an additional $140 (for two CPUs) for basically 300 MHz more clock, that's a signal that you actually do care about performance/efficiency/etc and I think you're better off trying to move to something newer.

it's ultimately your money though and if you want to cram on a bunch of cheap RAM and you don't want to shell out for Sandy Bridge-E or Haswell-E then maybe it makes sense.

Food for thought though, a 1660v3 is basically $150 at this point, can take ECC RDIMMs, and overclocked to 4 GHz or so the 8 Haswell-E cores will absolutely cream the 12 Westmere cores on the X5650. Even if they aren't "dedicated cores", it can still task swap and perform better than the 12 dedicated cores on Westmere. Or you can see if there are still any deals on those dual-socket Intel server boards and do a dual 2650v3 build or whatever.
orz
I hadn't even looked at the one-rung-down CPUs, at all. Yeah, a X5670 will do me nicely too.

The current server is a dual-CPU system on a QPI link (ie. it's a 20-bit bus at 5.7GT; ~1.7Gbps-114Gbps) between the CPU, so getting a octocore with SMT would also remove that bottleneck, but I kinda like the idea that an entire CPU, a third of the memory with RAIM, and up to 3 disks can fail and the system can still keep on chugging - and getting something equivalent is going to be difficult, because the used server market in Denmark is loving weird.
I can get Westmere with ECC and RAIM for the price of picking it up, whereas even Sandy Bridge (which can be upgraded to Ivy Bridge CPUs by just replacing the CPU if the motherboard has a new enough revision) will set you back half the price of a good desktop build and a four year old Broadwell costs the full price of a newest-generation i5-i7 workstation build.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 27, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How do you OC a Xeon?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shaocaholica posted:

How do you OC a Xeon?

You go into the BIOS and change the multipliers ;)

Xeon E5 1650, 1660, and 1680 v1, v2, and v3, 1620 v1, and W-3175X, are multiplier-unlocked. As well as certain high-end W35xx, W36xx, and X56xx models are unlocked as well although that situation is kinda vague. W3680 and W3690 seem to be unlocked.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/xeons-with-an-open-multiplier.15983/

You do need to use an X58/X79/X99 chipset, not a server/workstation chipset, of course, but there are certain boards (ASUS X99 WS) that support ECC including RDIMMs and LRDIMMs if the processor does (see the memory QVL). As well as chinese boards in theory, although I haven't heard great things about the overclocking options there.

There is considerably more wiggle room in the "Xeon" branding than most people realize. In the Nehalem days, Intel didn't really care if you overclocked one of the top one or two xeons - you were already paying top dollar for one of the most expensive processors they offered. And quietly, they kept overclocking support in the Xeon equivalents to the i7 HEDT processors (1620, 1650, 1660, and 1680) up through the Haswell days. Definitely not widely advertised but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the sorts of HFT customers who bought things like EVEREST or BLACKOPS quietly made use of it.

As with many things, it's not really until Broadwell that they got greedy and started clamping down, people just forget about the Before Time before BK started searching for every penny to bilk.

They also brought the unlocked multiplier back on the W-3175X again though. Although that processor has other restrictions on total memory even though it has overclocking and ECC/RDIMM support, but it's really the least-restricted processor Intel has released since the Nehalem days. It's actually less restricted than AMD's options too, Epyc can't be overclocked (or, der8auer did some stuff but it basically involved severe BIOS hacks) and Threadripper has locked off RDIMM support, W-3175X can do both overclocking and ECC RDIMMs together.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 28, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

No, you can't sit with us. Get off the 14nm process first loser

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Then we could have a thread title including both PLATFROM and COCK SPEED; but apart from that.. I kinda like the two threads.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
start a new combined thread and close the two legacies with a post each that simply says “thread :rip:er”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol I'm still on 22nm myself, some of us don't compulsively upgrade their computers

my next one's probably gonna be AMD though

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’m lucky if my daily(in rotation) is smaller than 45nm. I’ll probably be happy with 45nm for a long time yet.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 28, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Excuse me that's 14++++ :colbert:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
lol incredible

you can't even guard it with asm capability check (because the OS lied), you could get switched onto another core after the check

EoRaptor posted:

Intel was very process driven. For years, process improvements had driven profitability, and the process group became dominant in management. The process team decided what the process would be, and everybody had to adapt their tools and software to that, no exception.

With 10nm, the process group failed, and the management team was utterly unprepared to evaluate this, had no management steps to identify and investigate the seriousness of the issue, and had plenty of legacy ties that blinded them to actions they could have taken.

Really, a case study in being too successful and the hubris that can develop. It’s almost sad that intel will never fess up, and this will not become a case study for biz schools to teach.
oof

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

JawnV6 posted:

lol incredible

you can't even guard it with asm capability check (because the OS lied), you could get switched onto another core after the check

This is not the first time Samsung has done things like this and created very dangerous situations. The Note 7 had different cache line sizes per core: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/13/arm_biglittle_gcc_bug/

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Twerk from Home posted:

This is not the first time Samsung has done things like this and created very dangerous situations. The Note 7 had different cache line sizes per core: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/13/arm_biglittle_gcc_bug/

oh my god it's like an exam question about self-modifying code, caches, and false sharing come to life

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Then we could have a thread title including both PLATFROM and COCK SPEED; but apart from that.. I kinda like the two threads.

Has the current thread title been cock speed for awhile and I just naturally read it as clock and never noticed?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

latinotwink1997 posted:

Has the current thread title been cock speed for awhile and I just naturally read it as clock and never noticed?

A mod updated it recently, to bring us in line with:

A typo in a presentation doc they made.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Really cocked that one up, didn't they?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Definitely pulled a boner

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

A mod updated it recently, to bring us in line with:

A typo in a presentation doc they made.

Ha, even better than I could have imagined.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_AETO7Fn4

Good to see that the motherboard makers are still up to their regular tricks. Reminder that "stock", "auto OC", or "AI Tuner" settings on Z series boards are nearly always a disaster and you need to manually tune them. Giga feeds the 10900k 25% over stock voltage out of the box...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it's too easy to say "hot and power hungry is all on motherboard manufacturers", Intel is setting the limits and could enforce them but for some reason chose not to. Instead, they're pushing even more MCE-style OC they're not calling OC through BFB. In the end, as long as mainboard manufacturers do somewhat reasonable +voltage OC (so, probably not what Gigabyte is doing with that board he tested :v:) they're probably happy to take more "longer bar = more better" wins.