Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Carbon dioxide posted:

But nope, to remove ambiguity with clock times, ISO8601 has a completely different format for durations, which looks like 2H30M5S. That's fine and all but turns out the java time parsing library cannot deal with durations written as 2:30 and requires the 2H30 format. So I had to write my own parser for that.

code:
powereddescent@voskhod:~$ echo "2:30:05" | awk -F : '{printf("%dH%dM%dS\n",$1,$2,$3)}'
2H30M5S
:awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I mean yes that's basically what I did. I never said it was hard. Just annoying.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://twitter.com/tansokudesuga/status/1264905078911066114

Translation: We asked 100 people "Did you watch 72 Hour Television*?"

Didn't watch it: 90 people Watched it: 10 people

*some dumb 72 hour telethon

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Fix It posted:

https://twitter.com/tansokudesuga/status/1264905078911066114

Translation: We asked 100 people "Did you watch 72 Hour Television*?"

Didn't watch it: 90 people Watched it: 10 people

*some dumb 72 hour telethon

10%? Whoa, that's nearly half!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Someone took "the last 10% is half the work" too literally.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You miss 10% of the pie charts you don't take.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Unperson_47 posted:

Now, also switch our time system over to beats and you're onto something.

Swatch Internet Time! I remember the few months that cnn.com actually included .beats on their site.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

And beats are actually French Revolutionary Time minutes renamed so it's maybe the right time* for it

* pun accepted but not intended

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

My company has a large continental European office and a large US office. Don't ask me about how annoying it is that the decimal point is a decimal comma over there instead.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Munin posted:

My company has a large continental European office and a large US office. Don't ask me about how annoying it is that the decimal point is a decimal comma over there instead.

How the hell do CSV files work over there? Does everyone just use bar delimited? Escape characters everywhere?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sardonik posted:

How the hell do CSV files work over there? Does everyone just use bar delimited? Escape characters everywhere?

Semicolons as the value separators.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sardonik posted:

surrounding in quotes is the usual way. For example:

"column, 1 has a comma in it", column 2 does not, "column 3, does also"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

Emphasis mine:

This is pages back but it's driving me nuts and I can't find anything on google.What's with the dead cat near the bottom of the painting?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here is one interpretation.

quote:

The brothers have been disembowelled (in fact, there is talk of cannibalism in contemporary accounts of the killings), which suggests ritual slaughter or even some kind of black mass. This impression is reinforced by the dead cat seen bottom centre, cats (and especially their butchering) being closely associated with witchcraft and other acts of devil worship.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sardonik posted:

CSVs are the devil's work as well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
CSV files are fine.

Ok, my CSV files are fine.

If no one else touches them.

And then I import them into a database.

And delete them.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
CSVs are great because you can import then directly into excel and do some real data analysis.:devil:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LeastActionHero posted:

CSVs are great because you can import then directly into excel and do some real data analysis.:devil:

https://i.imgur.com/dHbZeDM.gifv

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Munin posted:

Yeah I'm in a country where that is the case as well and it's annoying as gently caress. Especially when some two-bit web developer doesn't account for the comma as decimal separator in a text input and there's no helpful error message telling the user that the poo poo's hosed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CSVs are fine for certain types of data.

Data that contains commas does not fall into that category.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Just use the record and unit separator control characters.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hail Satan.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tab separated values are superior in almost every way.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I wanna know the WORST way to store data in plaintext.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Unperson_47 posted:

undelimited

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

If you assume that you'll want a computer to do math to it at some point, the worst way is natural language.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Unperson_47 posted:

csv, but typed into a word doc

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Unperson_47 posted:

Whatever the Voynich manuscribe did

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Unperson_47 posted:

Handwritten cursive note scanned as a low-res JPG.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Handwritten cursive note scanned as a low-res JPG.

And converted back to plain text using one of those image to ASCII art converters.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

Real life thing I have dealt with:
Fixed width format with a documentation file that goes "parse chars 1 to 5 as the ID, parse chars 6 to 11 as the date, we have no idea what chars 12 to 35 do so ignore them, 36 - 45 is the description" and so on.
Tbf I heard the application that generates this stuff is a legacy 1980s thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Platystemon posted:

Whatever the Voynich manuscribe did

:wrong:

Voynichese is the only true way of storing data

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Unperson_47 posted:

You'll get many answers but the true answer is proprietary fixed width files. ANYTHING delimited is preferable.

E:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Fixed width format with a documentation file that goes "parse chars 1 to 5 as the ID, parse chars 6 to 11 as the date, we have no idea what chars 12 to 35 do so ignore them, 36 - 45 is the description" and so on.

This person gets it. Also EDI was made by Satan.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Parsing the FAA’s wind forecasts:

Wind direction and speed get a four‐digit block.

The first two are magnetic azimuth, in tens of degrees. The latter two are speed in knots.

Wind ten degrees west of south at ninety‐nine knots would be 1999.

But wait! What if the wind speed crosses a hundred knots?

I’m glad you asked.

In that case, you subtract a hundred from the wind speed and add fifty to wind direction.

Let’s say the wind direction is still the same, and now it’s a hundred and sixty‐nine knots. Now it’s denoted with 6969.

Wind data can also be encountered six‐digit groups. Surely this must be giving three digits to each component, right?

Wrong. The wind digits are unchanged. Temperature just got appended to it. 696969 is wind ten degrees west of south, blowing a hundred and sixty‐nine knots, with ambient air temperature of sixty‐nine degrees Celsius.

Sixty‐nine degrees Celsius is an unreasonably high temperature. You’d never see it in a real forecast. Except you might, because negative sixty‐nine degrees can be seen at altitude.

That raises the question “how are negative and positive temperatures differentiated?”

Oh. That’s easy. Negative temperatures have a minus sign in front of them. So that 696969 should really be 6969-69.

…except when it isn’t, because the preface to the forecast informed you that all temperatures above FL240 were below zero so they would be omitting all the signs.

What a sensible system.

If there were any positive temperatures, they have plus signs, as seen below in the chart for Colorado and nearby states.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Holy smokes.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 07:30 on May 29, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha :suicide:

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
MARC21, my fellows: http://www.loc.gov/marc/specifications/specrecstruc.html

The only thing I've ever run across that actually *does* use the ASCII FS, US, RS, GS characters.

In the catalog system I occasionally have to tinker with, MARC records are stored in a database. In multiple rows if necessary, because the field length is 990 characters. Why 990? gently caress you, that's why. Just use the sequence numbers and cat the results together like a normal person.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Carbon dioxide posted:

oh yeah, i used to work at a payments company, we had to deal with those all the time. your credit card charges have to pass through a lotta big iron.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
CSVs in Continental Europe are divided by semicolons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

In traditional Chinese characters. Written into a word doc and no punctuation