Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Max Wilco posted:

So some of you may or may not be familiar with Shirley Curry, For those who aren't, she's an 82 year old woman who's notable for being an avid Skyrim player.

Well, yesterday morning, I saw that VG247 put out an article mentioning that she was scaling back her streams due to harassment.

I was sad to see this...until I got home and I saw this:

https://twitter.com/ShirleyScurry/status/1265291473815244806?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Since then, the article has been updated, quoting one of the tweets:

So everything's fine with Shirley and the issue got ironed out (I guess except for the fact that the article was updated and not deleted, but what can you do?)

BUT THEN I SAW THIS

https://twitter.com/FiresOfAnarchy1/status/1265422786639601666

:cripes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seKwwmD1AN0

I watched the video and she definitely mentioned patronizing comments. This whole situation is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Vichan posted:

I watched the video and she definitely mentioned patronizing comments. This whole situation is weird.

I gave the video a watch, and her description of the comments make it sound like there are a lot of people who are guilty of backseat gaming. Both she and article mentions that she focuses on role-playing and just casual play in general, more so than trying to aim for getting the best stats and gear. She also mentions that she gets requests to play [x] game or [y] game, and that's she not interested in doing that. Some of it does sound patronizing, but what she says in the video and the tweet also make it sound like it might be from a lot of people who are overeager to help, and that might be overwhelming for her.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 27, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"fuckiest of nuggets" is an...interesting turn of phrase

holy poo poo this post was an emotional roller coaster

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 27, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wait, so she is pro-Gamergate? I’m not clear on this.

no. its a journalist making a story sound like she was getting super cyberbullied for clicks and than she said "nah, all is fine, i am just old and need to cut down my time, no one is bothering me" and people laughed at the journalist and now they are trying to play victim and throw the lady under the bus as a "GAMERGATER". basicaly she did say stuff but the site blew it up to get clicks and than got mad when she refuted that. its gross what they are doing to her.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 27, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wait, so she is pro-Gamergate? I’m not clear on this.

I mean, she's 82. There's no way in hell she knows about Gamergate. I think people should let the Skyrim grandma just play Skyrim in peace.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sounds like a clickbait article is gonna clickbait. Her comments section sounds like every comments section in every video ever made.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean, she's 82. There's no way in hell she knows about Gamergate. I think people should let the Skyrim grandma just play Skyrim in peace.

she didnt even do anything wrong. all she did was say they overblew some stuff and than the clickbait types got mad and a few are trying to label her gamergate because she talked back to some journalist

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

This story is re goddamn diculous and everyone involved needs to log off.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I have no idea what's going on and who is the rear end in a top hat here lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

This story is re goddamn diculous and everyone involved needs to log off.

yeah pretty much and lady should just play skyrim.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she didnt even do anything wrong. all she did was say they overblew some stuff and than the clickbait types got mad and a few are trying to label her gamergate because she talked back to some journalist

More specifically they're blaming her for sicking her fanbase on the writer of the article, which clearly not at all what she was intending to do. She just wanted to clear up inaccuracies in a story about herself and then her fanbase did what most extremely online fanbases do which does suck, Twitter was a mistake, etc. That said calling her a journalist-hating gamergater and crying about how nobody with clout will come out and defend this poor abused victim of grandma's cyberbullying campaign is :jerkbag:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

More specifically they're blaming her for sicking her fanbase on the writer of the article, which clearly not at all what she was intending to do. She just wanted to clear up inaccuracies in a story about herself and then her fanbase did what most extremely online fanbases do which does suck, Twitter was a mistake, etc. That said calling her a journalist-hating gamergater and crying about how nobody with clout will come out and defend this poor abused victim of grandma's cyberbullying campaign is :jerkbag:

its just gross how some of these assholes now use GG as label against any real critiques are callouts they get. its loving dumb and i hate how alot of these journalists who write mostly ads/tripe/freshmen critiques view themselves as these super elite gatekeeping truth sayers who can never be questioned. like gently caress off buddy. granny isnt gonna loving dox and try to life ruin you.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It sounds like Skyrim Grandma is reducing her streaming schedule for her own health and establishing some new guidelines for how she responds to comments since she’s known for trying to respond to them all. For the most part it seems like typical FAQ guidelines.

For the disparaging remarks, in the Twitter thread that was posted earlier she stated that the inciting incident was someone being a big jerk in comments, she denies that it was an “onslaught.”

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I do find it really funny that the first time I saw that article posted here on SA, it was immediately followed by a comment that :actually: she should really consider playing a better game than Skyrim.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

John Murdoch posted:

I do find it really funny that the first time I saw that article posted here on SA, it was immediately followed by a comment that :actually: she should really consider playing a better game than Skyrim.

Oh for fucks sake. I mean yeah I'm an RPG snob who hates all the Bethesda games since Oblivion too but like let the nice old lady play what she wants.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its just gross how some of these assholes now use GG as label against any real critiques are callouts they get. its loving dumb and i hate how alot of these journalists who write mostly ads/tripe/freshmen critiques view themselves as these super elite gatekeeping truth sayers who can never be questioned. like gently caress off buddy. granny isnt gonna loving dox and try to life ruin you.

At least nobody tried to do that last year when that one person who freelanced for Kotaku and wrote nothing but stories about sexual-related things in games was basically yelled at by the entire internet for that article that went too far for anyone to defend.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Viewtiful Jew posted:

At least nobody tried to do that last year when that one person who freelanced for Kotaku and wrote nothing but stories about sexual-related things in games was basically yelled at by the entire internet for that article that went too far for anyone to defend.

I guess I don't understand why erotic fanfiction or articles about, like... Taylor Swift and Marge Simpson getting married in the Sims need to be published by gaming news sites at all. They must be really hurting for pageviews.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

I have no idea what's going on and who is the rear end in a top hat here lol

Hint: It's not the octogenarian gamer lady

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Viewtiful Jew posted:

That sounds like the guy who when had the chance to talk to the FFXIV developer asked them about the virtual brothels.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

McCloud posted:

Hint: It's not the octogenarian gamer lady

I saw Jack Saint on twitter claim the old lady is lying so I was confused but having looked into the situation, I think Jack Saint was just misinformed/wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

thats sad. like i like my romance mechanics in games(ME/witcher 3/DA had some nice cute ones even if they could be weird and dumb) but some people are REEEEALY into it. to each their own i guess.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jamie Faith posted:

I saw Jack Saint on twitter claim the old lady is lying so I was confused but having looked into the situation, I think Jack Saint was just misinformed/wrong.

https://twitter.com/LackingSaint/status/1265636141128187905

I've seen some of the stuff this guy has tweeted, and he sounds like an rear end in a top hat to me, and this doesn't really help counter that notion

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 27, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I like Jack but yeah he does have a bad take every now and then but he seems pretty cool for the most part :shrug:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 27, 2020

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
YouTube Jack Saint is really good, but Twitter Jack Saint less so.

Though I'm not sure if that's just a problem with the platform.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neo_Crimson posted:

The biggest example of this is that Macintosh guy, his youtube output tends to be excellent, least on the channel that I know of, but the tweets jfc.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

You should not follow anyone on Twitter. It's just additional stress and occasional disappointment.

I'm not gonna stop but you definitely should.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yeah, despite the increase in character limit and chaining tweets you still can't have an actual conversation. It's mostly soundbites or Roll Safe memes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
New* video from Lindsay Ellis on PBS about Little Women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D21xMcTuTms

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Twitter is a hazard to public health. Destroy it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Beefstew posted:

Twitter is a hazard to public health. Destroy it.

Great news!

https://twitter.com/acosta/status/1265772261929291776?s=21

its because for the first time in four years twitter made the gentlest of push backs against Trump’s tweeting and he’s gonna go nuclear on them in return

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

If Trump destroys bans social media that is a net gain in the world.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Don't know how popular YMS is on here (I suspect he's not, and I admit I don't always like his takes on things) but he finally posted a 2 hour and 27 minute deep-dive (edited down from approximately 3000 minutes of Kimba footage) into the "Disney ripped off Kimba the White Lion" controversy, filled with comparisons from individual episodes and recaps of storylines. The first 10-15 minutes would've been enough to fully end the argument once and for all but then he just keeps going.

I'm only an hour into it but it's been a wild ride so far. Not at all what I expected going into it - that Kimba franchise is something else. As an example, Kimba inexplicably keeps the corpse of his father around and goes on adventures with it in multiple episodes in one of the series. Nobody ever thinks this is strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5B1mIfQuo4

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I met several of my best friends thru twitter. I know social media blows but without it, a lot of trans people like me who live in the bible belt surrounded by people who want us dead would be very lonely. :smith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neo_Crimson posted:

It kind of is. Even the coolest person in the world is going to have a lovely thought every now and then, give them a platform to say whatever's on their mind immediately without any thought or consideration and everyone looks like a bigger rear end in a top hat than they actually are. Especially when you get someone posting their immediate brainless reactionary thought to something, and then a dozen or more people post their brainless reactionary thought to that thought and it just snowballs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Don't know how popular YMS is on here (I suspect he's not, and I admit I don't always like his takes on things) but he finally posted a 2 hour and 27 minute deep-dive (edited down from approximately 3000 minutes of Kimba footage) into the "Disney ripped off Kimba the White Lion" controversy, filled with comparisons from individual episodes and recaps of storylines. The first 10-15 minutes would've been enough to fully end the argument once and for all but then he just keeps going.

I'm only an hour into it but it's been a wild ride so far. Not at all what I expected going into it - that Kimba franchise is something else. As an example, Kimba inexplicably keeps the corpse of his father around and goes on adventures with it in multiple episodes in one of the series. Nobody ever thinks this is strange.

nice. been craving some weird super long YT poo poo. and YMS is good poo poo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't like all of YMS' stuff, but that Kimba video was great.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

i mean terraria IS better than minecraft so

I agree but that’s kind of an apples and oranges comparison in my opinion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ErrEff posted:

I'd avoided him up until now because just calling your channel 'YourMovieSucksEtc' sets my teeth on edge these days, but that was interesting. I'd heard the Lion King/Kimba thing was horse hockey didn't know much more than that. I think most of the comparison thing used to run off that Simpsons gag.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ariong posted:

I agree but that’s kind of an apples and oranges comparison in my opinion.

Not really, Terraria was the explicitly billed as a 2D Minecraft competitor with more RPG elements. You could argue it's become more than that, but I think it's fair to group the 2 games into a similar category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

New* video from Lindsay Ellis on PBS about Little Women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D21xMcTuTms

Patrick H Willems has also put out a video about the recent Little Women movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeS1adR-lfI