Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There was an HD remake of TP?

I must be the only one who sort of enjoyed it as I played it, and then the moment I finished it, I never wanted to touch it again. Anyone else? I still feel that way; it's like I retroactively find it dragging and a total slog to get through. :shrug:

The opening act is a total slog and I didn't like the waggle controls on the Wii. There were some really good dungeons in that one though. I would play it again if there was an HD release on Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I must be the only one who sort of enjoyed it as I played it, and then the moment I finished it, I never wanted to touch it again. Anyone else? I still feel that way; it's like I retroactively find it dragging and a total slog to get through. :shrug:

Same. I would replay it if it were released, but I don't remember the experience as being memorable in any way.

hatty posted:

They should remake the Oracle games before doing any of the NES games imo

Release them as a whole package with a newly made Oracle of Courage.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Twilight Princess is pretty boring. I feel like most Zeldas have a lot of memorable stuff in every facet like gameplay, dungeons, characters, story beats, etc. TP has a couple of very specific memorable elements and is otherwise entirely forgettable. It was Nintendo trying to make a better looking Ocarina as a response to the demographic that initially pushed back against the Wind Waker design. It's not a bad game by any stretch but I made it a couple hours in to the HD version before losing any desire to go back to it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

What's wrong with the footage? It looks great and has a ton of quality of life improvements.

I only play handheld :v:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Would love a Zelda2 remake that looks similar to Bloodstained.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, my main issues with TP are these:

A) the starting 3(?) dungeons are WAY too long, holy poo poo.

2) it really was Ocarina+, and as much as I ate that game up when I played it, I was done with that one, too. Didn't feel as negatively towards it afterwards, but I still wasn't all 'can't wait to do that all over again!'

D) because it was so similar to Ocarina (which was also similar to LttP), I was really just kind of done with 'find a new item in a dungeon, and it turns out, the dungeon is designed completely around it'. That gear platform was kind of dumb. I like open ended stuff, solving problems creatively. This item thing happened in Wind Waker, but I absolutely love the presentation of that one, so I don't mind the game's structure as much. (plus, I actually liked treasure hunting on the open seas, and yes, I know that part was apparently phoned in, or rushed)

Also, and this is outside of the game itself, I specifically remember someone from Nintendo claiming that TP was so huge, it would take 45 minutes on horseback to get from one side of it to the opposite. I love the massive size of Elder Scrolls games, and thought 'holy poo poo, finally a Zelda game that's as big as Morrowind or Oblivion!' (even though they don't even take that long to traverse).

Anyway, I don't specifically blame the game for that, but drat was I disappointed.

Related, BOTW is everything I could hope for. :swoon:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Red Minjo posted:

The Mega mode is a repeat of every puzzle in the standard mode, but with the hints changed to a mega variant and the order a bit jumbled.

e: however, the unlocks for Clip mode are all in standard, so you never have to touch it to finish those

So about a third of the game? Thanks

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Rutibex posted:

Where is the waroware collection nintendo?!

1 2 Switch feels like the closest we will get to any Wario Ware in the entire Switch's lifetime.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Twilight Princess did have that one snow manor dungeon that was the apex of Zelda dungeon design, before botw

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mister Facetious posted:

I'd actually be interested in a Zelda game where you had to ESCAPE a dungeon rather than infiltrate them.

Ganon wakes up early and transports the generic woods you were going to start in as for away from the castle as he can. Your people are all natives of Hyborea now, welcome to snow.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Girlfriend recently started picking up my Switch. She’s a big fan of What the Golf? and Baba is You.

My kudos to the goon that developed Baba.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There are better and worse ones, of course, but I have never not enjoyed a zelda game

I have played and beaten every Zelda game other than Oracle of Ages and Four Swords ok, and Wand of Gamelon

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Oracle of Ages should not be missed

4 Swords is interesting but ultimately not worth the trouble if you don't have friends with GBAs to play through the campaign with

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Not a Children posted:

Oracle of Ages should not be missed

4 Swords is interesting but ultimately not worth the trouble if you don't have friends with GBAs to play through the campaign with

At the time I chose one Oracle game like it was a Pokemon red/blue situation

I only learned much later they were so different

What's the best way to play that now?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Bloop posted:

At the time I chose one Oracle game like it was a Pokemon red/blue situation

I only learned much later they were so different

What's the best way to play that now?

I believe they're all on the store on 3DS.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Relevant Tangent posted:

Ganon wakes up early and transports the generic woods you were going to start in as for away from the castle as he can. Your people are all natives of Hyborea now, welcome to snow.

We need a game where Ganon has already won, and Link is dead. Hyrule is under despotic Moblin control.

Starring Linkle

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

They should remake the Oracle games before doing any of the NES games imo

Agreed. They already have so many of the assets from the LA’s remake. Come one.:pray:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Did anyone mention that the new update has given the store a much more detailed search and filter option, allowing you to search by genre, price range, popularity, release date etc?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm still really fond of midna as a character but yeah Twilight Princess is somewhat forgettable. Especially after Wind Waker let you shove a sword in ganon's face :black101:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TP’s final battle with Ganondorf is pretty cool and memorable too. You stab him in the chest so hard that he screams and the triforce of power finally leaves his body so he actually dies.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Twilight Princess had incredible dungeons and the best use of the grappling hook by far (especially on the Wii). It also had Midna, by far the best "fairy character".

It has it's weak points, but so did the other 128 bit Zeldas.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Windwaker was the beginning of easy Zelda, both in gameplay and because I was older, this would hold through all console and portable games until BotW, but at least WW had some amazing exploration and felt less on rails than later games, LBW excluded.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Windwaker had nice exploration but it was a bit confusing on what to do at times.

It also had some weak dungeons for a Zelda game.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Twilight Princess is a pretty solid Zelda game with some great dungeons, but there's something that's really missing that I can't quite put my finger on. It doesn't really take any risks or have ambitious changes/vision compared with all other post-OoT titles.

edit: I wouldn't mind buying it again for Switch, especially if it comes with wolf link amiibo. But it's far from my favorite zelda game.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

The Merkinman posted:

1 2 Switch feels like the closest we will get to any Wario Ware in the entire Switch's lifetime.

What the Golf has a bit of the WarioWare charm IMO

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Twilight Princess is a pretty solid Zelda game with some great dungeons, but there's something that's really missing that I can't quite put my finger on. It doesn't really take any risks or have ambitious changes/vision compared with all other post-OoT titles.

That is the main problem with. It’s tied with OoT as having my favorite set of dungeons of any 3D Zelda regardless. I actually like the long opening in it too.:blush:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Glass of Milk posted:

Good luck finding one right now, though.

I actually found some at a target. When I got there at noon they had 2 grey ones in the case and I picked one up. Maybe the resellers are slowing down?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
twilight princess was freaking sweet. you turn into a dog and let this evil little lady with magic hair ride you around.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JohnnySmitch posted:

What the Golf has a bit of the WarioWare charm IMO

So what is this game exactly then? I don’t like golf games but this seems to not be that and actually interesting?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So what is this game exactly then? I don’t like golf games but this seems to not be that and actually interesting?

It’s a silly game that starts off as putting a golf ball in a hole but progresses that idea to silliness like moving a couch to a hole or golf hole to a ball instead. It’s cute but it’s not worth whatever it is on Switch. It was originally a mobile game.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

I think this is basically the majority opinion of TP now, at least among people who talk about the game online.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I would say it took several big risks - graphics leaning more toward realistic, being a bit darker in tone overall, and the biggest two being Wolf Link and the Twilight-engulfed areas and Twilight Realm. The rest of it is basically an Ocarina of Time rehash, but that doesn't bother me that much. OoT feels clunky and outdated to play now, TP doesn't. Well, the Wii version does, but the superior GC and HD versions do not.

TP was actually my favorite Zelda game, though it does have some odd mechanics and parts that drag. There's also a weird disconnect where most of the NPC's seem to be unaware that anything is wrong once you remove the twilight from that area. But like others said, the dungeons are fantastic and probably the best of the 3D Zeldas. It also engulfed me in the atmosphere more than any other Zelda, even BotW, but that probably has a lot to do with what I was going through at the time I originally played it.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I would say it took several big risks - graphics leaning more toward realistic, being a bit darker in tone overall

This was anything but a risk, the Blades Will Bleed poo poo was basically a direct response to the gamers who cried about the Wind Waker's graphics and presentation

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know what games are on the cart for the Bioshock collection and what have to be downloaded?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fawf posted:

This was anything but a risk, the Blades Will Bleed poo poo was basically a direct response to the gamers who cried about the Wind Waker's graphics and presentation

I Googled "blades will bleed"... I actually didn't know they marketed the game this way before release.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your Computer posted:

Xenoblade 2 never got a demo did it?

I'm extremely torn on Xenoblade 1 Definitive Edition after seeing footage of it :sigh:

I watched the GameXplain review and it looked like poo poo but I watched the Nintendo Life review and the exact same sections looked good. I think it's down to video encoding or whatever YouTube is doing

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

We need a game where Ganon has already won, and Link is dead. Hyrule is under despotic Moblin control.

Starring Linkle

If you like this Audible has How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps in its free May originals. It also offers a free month trial to anybody so you can also get another free book and cancel if you want. The book is a bit of a love letter/parody of Zelda and RPGs in general, but it is comedy first and foremost.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 28, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I think this is basically the majority opinion of TP now, at least among people who talk about the game online.

I don’t think it’s majority opinion. Remember that it was a launch title for the Wii and the highest selling Zelda game ever. The first Zelda for a lot of people too. I see just as many demands for it on Switch as Wind Waker.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I would say it took several big risks - graphics leaning more toward realistic, being a bit darker in tone overall, and the biggest two being Wolf Link and the Twilight-engulfed areas and Twilight Realm. The rest of it is basically an Ocarina of Time rehash, but that doesn't bother me that much. OoT feels clunky and outdated to play now, TP doesn't. Well, the Wii version does, but the superior GC and HD versions do not.

Like what Fawf said, I don't consider the graphics to be a risk after WW. Twilight realm felt like a natural play on Dark World or adult link--a separate realm affecting things is already a main concept in Zelda. Compared with MM, WW, SS and BotW... TP feels incredibly mild. And I'm saying this as someone who played it at least three times and 100%'d it.

I agree with you on OoT and the TP dungeons. At this point I only play OoT for the strong nostalgia feels. It hasn't aged as well as LttP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CrazySalamander posted:

If you like this Audible has How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps in its free May originals. It also offers a free month trial to anybody so you can also get another free book and cancel if you want. The book is a bit of a love letter/parody of Zelda and RPGs in general, but it is comedy first and foremost.

Yeah, I finished listening to it a few days ago. It was my first LitRPG-esque experience; very much a combination of Endro! (anime) meets zelda dungeons and hero myth, combined with Dragon Quest monsters.
Honestly it wasn't really my thing; I'm not big on isekai/meta RPG in general, but I found it just had way too much exposition on the mechanics and it just comes off hokey as gently caress to me. Loved the narrator and solution at the end though.

Join us in the audiobook thread if you're not already checking it out; it could always use more traffic