Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

purple death ray posted:

You're all falling into the same trap that all the nerds did when they got super mad at Ebert saying video games aren't art. Of course video games are art, forums posts are art, Saturday morning cartoons are art. Art doesn't mean something is any good. Like we've been socialized with the idea that calling something art lends it this veneer of upper-class respectability but honestly almost everything is art. It's just that a lot of art is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

purple death ray posted:

You're all falling into the same trap that all the nerds did when they got super mad at Ebert saying video games aren't art. Of course video games are art, forums posts are art, Saturday morning cartoons are art. Art doesn't mean something is any good. Like we've been socialized with the idea that calling something art lends it this veneer of upper-class respectability but honestly almost everything is art. It's just that a lot of art is garbage.
I once read a book on exactly that subject that argued, quite convincingly or at least it made sense to me, that video games were not inherently art, but that of course any individual game had the potential to be art, listed several games that were and weren't art (like, according to quite serious philosophical groundwork on the subject of art), and perhaps most importantly made the point that a game's quality as art was almost entirely independent of its quality as a game. Tetris - unarguably great game, captivating and influential, but not, philosophically speaking, art.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
tetris is commentary about how once you have done your duty and found your place you are removed from the world, no longer an object of interest or worth being aware of as more than numbers

it's also about how 4row lines are the best shape and the backwards z things suck poo poo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

I once read a book on exactly that subject that argued, quite convincingly or at least it made sense to me, that video games were not inherently art, but that of course any individual game had the potential to be art, listed several games that were and weren't art (like, according to quite serious philosophical groundwork on the subject of art), and perhaps most importantly made the point that a game's quality as art was almost entirely independent of its quality as a game. Tetris - unarguably great game, captivating and influential, but not, philosophically speaking, art.
Tetris is a game where everything you create is destroyed by your own efforts and you only lose when you finally produce something of permanence. How isn't that art?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Academically, "art" is everything that is not a Hanna barberra property

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Forum posts aren't art unless there's a picture, dummy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitfox88 posted:

more like FART :xd:

My farts are art

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SiKboy posted:

manchild stuff

no

possibly

SiKboy posted:

sculpture

possibly

Jeza posted:

anime figurines

no

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

what they do over at r/cummingonfigurines

no

Kitfox88 posted:

Piss Christ

yes

no

possibly

possibly

possibly

no

no

Pick posted:

Hanna barberra property

no

Aphrodite posted:

Forum posts

possibly

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ChubbyChecker posted:

wrong opinions

cumming on amiibos is art and that's a fact, jack

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Flintstones Discuss Marxism 101 is basically just Weapon Brown for people who listen to podcasts.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I thought it was pretty well accepted that art is the experience the viewer has in response the art object, and that the creation of art objects is simply an attempt to generate art from the beholder? And that’s why art can happen by accident, but not all art objects are really “art” except to a very few people?

Or am I having a Hegelian flare-up again, gently caress. I was told the ointment would prevent this

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

purple death ray posted:

You're all falling into the same trap that all the nerds did when they got super mad at Ebert saying video games aren't art.

Speaking personally, I was never mad at Ebert about video games. I was, however, annoyed at him being an intellectually dishonest weasel who attempted to redefine what "art" means rather than simply admit he made a bad call.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Theophany posted:

I got drunk off my rear end on cheap Lidl bourbon last night and spent like 2 hours on the phone to an ex girlfriend who I am apparently meeting up with tomorrow.

Ferrari should give me a job running their race strategies.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

CrixM posted:

I'm not sure if this is an idiot story, but I'll tell one.

I'm deployed in Kandahar, sandystan and I work as in patient movement. Since I'm just an E4 I usually get to 'anti-hijack' (military euphemism for checking bags) luggage before they go out onto the plane. I walk over to the Role3, find the guy sleeping, so I grab his bag and bring it back to our tent to check. He's got a big bag on the side of it fills with just knives. About 6 small ones, 2 of which he can't carry because they're spring loaded, and another huge one with an antler handle. On to his main bag. Open up one of the compartments and then I realize it smells kinda bad. I couldn't really place the smell. So I start looking to see what it could be, find a sunglasses case, but when I'm handling it I realize it's a bit squishy. Thinking I've found my culprit I open it up to find... an onahole.

He later asks for a smoke on the flightline.

USMC503 posted:

Had to Google wtf an anahole was. It's a pocket pussy if anyone else doesn't know what it is.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

My farts are art

arse gratia fartis

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

arse gratia fartis

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

arse gratia fartis

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Video games are a medium in which you can create art, farts, and anything in between.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

purple death ray posted:

That sounds like the trap Ebert fell into.

Tetris is art.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
Art is paintings of European nobility, and commentaries on "what is art". End of list.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There's a whole youtube channel devoted to this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr-fLQx_ccI

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Piss Meridian posted:

Art is paintings of European nobility, and commentaries on "what is art". End of list.

Speaking of!

Tunicate posted:

monarchy is the last resort of the normal, average person. Monarchs are selected by random accidents of birth, while our current political process instead selects for the most sociopathic backstabbers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
At this point, just rename this thread "PYF everything but funny forums quotes".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you don't think cspam advocating for the return of the monarchy is funny, I just don't know what to tell you man

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pick posted:

If you don't think cspam advocating for the return of the monarchy is funny, I just don't know what to tell you man

Plato declared that benevolent monarchy was the ideal form of government almost as soon as democracy was invented, for precisely the reason that anyone who actively sought out power couldn't be trusted with it. Socrates further added that it was better to be ruled by an evil tyrant than by a bad democracy, because at least the people hadn't chosen to be ruled by the tyrant. 2,500 years and nothing has changed, has it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's true, guys who pride themselves on "sitting around thinking and how much more good they are at sitting around thinking" are a class beyond time

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
Fortunately, there's no scheming and backstabbing in a monarchy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

At this point, just rename this thread "PYF everything but funny forums quotes".

Finally, people can quote me in here.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Invisible Clergy posted:

Reminds me of that vice article where the journalist wrote about how his grandma killed most of his family members. As she slid into senescence, she kept trying to poison her family, but she grew too dumb, blind, and lazy to do it stealthily anymore, so would hand you a beer with an inch of rat poison powder on the top of it and her family would just scrape it into a potted plant and say "haha, not today, ma. Try harder next time. See you for dinner Sunday." That poo poo was bananas.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Spanish Manlove posted:

My farts are art

Mr Biden it’s not an honor

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The only moral form of government is a Hetmanate.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'm sure at this point they have a weightier meatier horse vulva with real physics that makes it bounce and jiggle appropriately but those horses are just so useless

Really frustrating

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

The only moral form of government is a Hetmanate.

what's a hetmanate

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Not much, what’s hetmanate with you?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dabir posted:

what's a hetmanate

like a sultanate but with a hetman

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Dabir posted:

what's a hetmanate

Anything they want!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Alaois posted:

like a sultanate but with a hetman

Pretty sure, historically, most sultans were het men.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Pick posted:

It's true, guys who pride themselves on "sitting around thinking and how much more good they are at sitting around thinking" are a class beyond time

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

sebmojo posted:

"BaldDwarfOnPCP"
I'm sure at this point that have a weightier meatier horse vulva with real physics that makes it bounce and jiggle appropriately but those horses are just so useless

Really frustrating

Poor Freckles, thought of weightier meatier horse vulvas and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018