Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Woofer posted:

The system didn’t make that cop kill someone who was begging for their life on video.

Yes the system has issues but you know what would help? Holding your fellow cops loving accountable and when you see them murdering someone, step in.

yes you are correct but we have no system in place to report cops, no federal over sight which is the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

PookBear posted:

yes you are correct but we have no system in place to report cops, no federal over sight which is the problem

There were three police officers watching a guy murder someone.

What the gently caress is the point of them existing if they aren’t going to stop someone from getting murdered?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Woofer posted:

What the gently caress is the point of them existing if they aren’t going to stop someone from getting murdered?

now you get it

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Woofer posted:

I think the point is you aren't going to reach out and change the mind of police. They're a lost cause. Even here. That's why no cop goons post here very often. When they did they saw themselves as so disconnected from events that they saw themselves as being effective by trying to comfort people's anger in forum by showing they're totally on your side! I dunno man, I get the anger and all that, just seems like you think cops can be changed by it, and I don't think they will.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what cops are going on the news demanding these guys be prosecuted for murder? what police union is threatening to strike unless something is done?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Protections start from the top down with qualified immunity, federal law that allows concealed carry no matter where etc while responsibility starts from the bottom up with hiring standards, training standards being local and if cops murder someone its never the president or governor that is ultimately responsible its a local police chief with little to no state or federal level over sight.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PookBear posted:

trying to change our judicial system by becoming a cop is like trying to change our foreign policy by enlisting as infantry

Trying to change our judicial system by becoming a DA is like trying to change foreign policy by commissioning as a Reaper pilot.

The 'good' quotient of DAs is about the same as for cops. There are just a lot more cops, who by their numbers take a lot more shots on the 'bad' goal.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 27, 2020

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

joat mon posted:

Trying to change our judicial system by becoming a DA is like trying to change foreign policy by commissioning as a Reaper pilot.

The 'good' quotient of DAs is about the same as for cops. There are just a lot more cops, who by their numbers take a lot more shots on the 'bad' goal.

I've definitely seen more DAs be effective than cops. It may have only been one or two but that's more than zero.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

a DA gets to decide what cases to prosecute and thus have actual control

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PookBear posted:

Eh, not exactly. The actual appointed or elected prosecutor for an area might, but the majority of prosecutors have to follow whatever rules are set forth by their boss. For example, in Florida the State Attorney for each judicial circuit is elected. That person has dozens to hundreds of assistant state attorneys that are the actual line level prosecutors. While these individuals might have some discretion, it is not unlimited.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PookBear posted:

...within certain limits.
Cops also get to decide what cases to arrest on, within certain limits.
The elected DA of an area can do that until the next election. An appointed DA of an area can do that until removed or their appointment expires. The assistant DAs of those one-termers can do that until they're fired by the new DA.

There are good cops and there are good DAs and they try to do good work. Sometimes they succeed. There is nothing inherent in either the person or the position of a DA that makes them good or allows them to stay in a position to do good.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Woofer posted:

Sorry you think the burden is on me to get cops to stop killing people.

George's revenge.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PookBear posted:

the system is designed so that you literally can't be a good cop, if you want to do good you have to become a DA

Nah, when you're DA you just decline to press murder charges when your cop buddy and his kid murder a guy.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Grem posted:

I guess I was just befuddled at a post I saw elsewhere that marked this thread as a place where police goons gather when that hasn't been true for a long time.

There was at least one a couple months ago. They liked to swear up and down that their department was much better than whoever was in the news that week, how it all disgusted him, how he and his department were good ones. Then one goon asked why in an active shooter situation there was a line of like 7 cops taking cover on one wall, since it didn't seem safe for the cops or anyone else. The cop then spent like 5 pages refusing to call said goon anything but a diminutive name while saying said goon wanted to have people die, again, because said goon thought that the police were doing something that could be putting their lives on the line pointlessly.

Said cop also went to bat for one of his department members who was caught doing something like drunk driving on duty, and was strangely absent when goons started actually posting statistics from his department.

I haven't seen him show up since.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

Nah, when you're DA you just decline to press murder charges when your cop buddy and his kid murder a guy.

Because, I note, if you don't every cop in the state will start loving up your evidence and testimony until you get fired for incompetence.

DAs who aggressively prosecute cops start getting a ton of 'I do not recall' on the stand.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Because, I note, if you don't every cop in the state will start loving up your evidence and testimony until you get fired for incompetence.

DAs who aggressively prosecute cops start getting a ton of 'I do not recall' on the stand.

I didn't say it would be easy but they have some autonomy that individual cops don't

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Grem posted:

I think there's like one guy that I can say is like that that USED to post in these threads.
Cmdr Shepard wasn’t the only one, he was just the last one.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd say the response to that is to stop prosecuting cases of violence against the police.

But then you'll probably commit suicide by shooting yourself in the back of the head.

Edit: Twice.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Na youd probably have 3 guys drive 4 hours for 200 bucks of weed and then the drug deal would go wrong in your parking lot

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Disarm cops.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Im starting to SLIGHTLY understand Chris Dorner and Micah Johnson now, after hearing people explain this one away with "but what about black on black crime?"

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So, this video shows Floyd being arrested on May 25. How does it go from him being in cuffs to the cops kneeling on the guy's neck till he's dead?

https://www.fox9.com/video/688458

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/27/surveillance-footage-before-george-floyd-killed-minneapolis-not-resisting/

What was the chronology here? I know I'm looking for rationality and cause and effect in a matter that doesn't have any logic to it.

Is it really as simple as the police killed a man because he pissed them off?

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 28, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Probably? Beau was talking about he cant even call tgis one because something huge has to be missing because hes just confused

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Grem posted:

I guess I was just befuddled at a post I saw elsewhere that marked this thread as a place where police goons gather when that hasn't been true for a long time.

This thread was never that. That thread is long dead. This thread was originally created specifically to keep posts about the hosed up state of policing in the United States from clogging up the current events thread.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

McNally posted:

This thread was never that. That thread is long dead. This thread was originally created specifically to keep posts about the hosed up state of policing in the United States from clogging up the current events thread.

Probably confusing it with the old cop lounge thread before all of the cops were driven out of GIP

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Flikken posted:

Probably confusing it with the old cop lounge thread before all of the cops were driven out of GIP

Yea people still come in here to yell at cops and it's so confusing.

e: I mean it's not really confusing, people want to shout at cops, but there are no cops here anymore.

Grem fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 28, 2020

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

PeterCat posted:

So, this video shows Floyd being arrested on May 25. How does it go from him being in cuffs to the cops kneeling on the guy's neck till he's dead?

https://www.fox9.com/video/688458

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/27/surveillance-footage-before-george-floyd-killed-minneapolis-not-resisting/

What was the chronology here? I know I'm looking for rationality and cause and effect in a matter that doesn't have any logic to it.

Is it really as simple as the police killed a man because he pissed them off?

Most likely Floyd was put in an uncomfortable position and reflectively jerked or pulled away, cop took that as resist and took him down, put his knee on his neck because he's a white supremacist. It makes no sense whatsoever to put your knee on someone handcuffed like that, even a dude not in handcuffs training a decade ago specifically said NOT to do that.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Grem posted:

Most likely Floyd was put in an uncomfortable position and reflectively jerked or pulled away, cop took that as resist and took him down, put his knee on his neck because he's a white supremacist. It makes no sense whatsoever to put your knee on someone handcuffed like that, even a dude not in handcuffs training a decade ago specifically said NOT to do that.

Isn’t it a common tactic to bait a resisting charge by forcing the person into an uncomfortable position where they’ll have no choice but to resist?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Woofer posted:

Isn’t it a common tactic to bait a resisting charge by forcing the person into an uncomfortable position where they’ll have no choice but to resist?

I would say that is not something that I was ever trained to do and I have never heard of anyone doing that, but I could 100% believe that people do that. I can't speak to how common it is. It is very easy to take actions the wrong way and overreact if you're not level headed or a stable person, which doesn't apply to many cops.

So yea I could totally see this rear end in a top hat cop cranking on Floyd's arm or something and taking him down when he pulls away.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Flikken posted:

lol good fuckin riddance

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/mugrimm/status/1265784215561527296?s=21

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grem posted:

I would say that is not something that I was ever trained to do and I have never heard of anyone doing that, but I could 100% believe that people do that. I can't speak to how common it is. It is very easy to take actions the wrong way and overreact if you're not level headed or a stable person, which doesn't apply to many cops.

So yea I could totally see this rear end in a top hat cop cranking on Floyd's arm or something and taking him down when he pulls away.

From the video they pulled him out of his car, walked him across the street, and he fell. Then he had three cops kneeling on him while face down on the pavement.

The officer kneeling on his neck didn't let up until paramedics arrived and they rolled Floyd's limp corpse onto a stretcher, still cuffed. The medics never found a pulse from arrival, indicating he was dead on the ground already by the time they got there.

Why was that cop kneeling on the neck of an unresponsive and visibly unconscious man, if not to kill him?

Edit: Turns out two of these cops have records.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...b7-b25dc201fc24

Chauvin: 13 complaints, 2 shootings (1 fatal)
Thao : 6 complaints, $25k awarded to victims in excessive force case.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 28, 2020

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

From the video they pulled him out of his car, walked him across the street, and he fell. Then he had three cops kneeling on him while face down on the pavement.

The officer kneeling on his neck didn't let up until paramedics arrived and they rolled Floyd's limp corpse onto a stretcher, still cuffed. The medics never found a pulse from arrival, indicating he was dead on the ground already by the time they got there.

Why was that cop kneeling on the neck of an unresponsive and visibly unconscious man, if not to kill him?

Why are you asking me? I wasn't defending the cops.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit: Turns out two of these cops have records.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...b7-b25dc201fc24

Chauvin: 13 complaints, 2 shootings (1 fatal)
Thao : 6 complaints, $25k awarded to victims in excessive force case.

Have a record like that in any other line of work and you'd have been fired a long time ago. It's insane that these subhuman scum still had any sort of job near a law enforcement agency.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

Have a record like that in any other line of work and you'd have been fired a long time ago. It's insane that these subhuman scum still had any sort of job near a law enforcement agency.

The Klob dropped charges on one of them

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So will it be this week or next that biden specifically mentions that while announcing her as his running mate while even Trump is openly calling for these officers' heads

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Grem posted:

The Klob dropped charges on one of them

Oh, no poo poo? Can't wait to see her answer questions about that after this, especially if for some insane reason she gets picked by Biden for VP.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grem posted:

Why are you asking me? I wasn't defending the cops.

Rhetorical question, not aimed at you. Sorry if it came off that way.

A Bad Poster posted:

Oh, no poo poo? Can't wait to see her answer questions about that after this, especially if for some insane reason she gets picked by Biden for VP.

Yeah, she was Hennepin County Atty at the time.

This guy has the right sort of attitude. :nws:

https://twitter.com/chrisjsports1/status/1265733003147309058

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 28, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Minneapolis is kicking off in a big way right now :stare: I can't say I'm surprised, but this is looking like the situation is continuing to escalate, not deescalate. There's already talk of the mayor calling in the National Guard.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...d5-c1e0eaa52ec7

https://unicornriot.ninja/2020/minneapolis-protests-police-murder-of-george-floyd-day-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Worst Year Ever podcast did an impromptu episode about the Minneapolis protests last night. If you’re familiar with one of the hosts, Robert Evans, he’s a great journalist who does a lot of work on neo nazi groups. I mention this because he’s already found posts and communications from militia groups about trying to exploit this for their own ends (ie- start a civil war).

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/worst-year-ever/id1478794003?i=1000476008659