Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hate on anyone's ship crush, but to me this is the most boring generic ArtStation resume portfolio filler that I've ever seen. To me it has no soul, no story, and the the design doesn't really look like it makes any kind of mechanical or engineering sense, even within the "laws" of the universe. But I understand design/art development even less than I understand game development. Maybe someone can help explain to me why I find this SC design unappealing while I find this...

... to be awesome? I've heard people say that the art/design department of CIG is there best department, but I don't really get it. None of their ships really stand out to me. None of them are like, "Man! I really want to fly that!". The Mole and Starfarer are alright I guess.

I think it's because everything in Star Citizen is stolen a tribute to other concepts so it all ends up being watered down and generic. If you Google "Sci-fi dropship" you'll get loads of art and renders that look almost exactly like it; it's so generic that looking at the posted JPG I immediately realized it was the dropship CIG sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

And just like in real life, money won't buy respect.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Quavers posted:

Top post on the subreddit right now:

:reddit: Happy Birthday, Citizen One!

:v: Happy birthday Chris! o7

:argh: Sucks that the photo posted is from that awful Forbes character-attack article tho, those "journalists" hosed over Chris and Sandi nastily

:lol::lol:

The image path is Forbesimg.com. Crobear will be happy that the Forbes article is rising up the Google rankings for him and Star Citizen :gary:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattpe...e-ready-to-play

That is the face of a man wracked with pain as he desperately holds his leg so as to sit like an indian, his knees threate ing to explode from the phsyical strain of the maneuver

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, in what other game can you get experiences like this:

quote:

Well I was able to get past the character creator, and spent a couple minutes making a guy.

Got into game to try and see the expo for once. Tried to rent a ship for 0 credits but it kept timing out. Did this for all the ships I tried.

Then I figured I'd go do a delivery mission but stopped to eat since I was "hungry"... Took nearly a minute for the burrito to show up in hand, but then discovered I couldn't put my helmet back on, or modify any of my gear further for that matter. Killing myself caused me to respawn with an MRE in hand that I tried to buy like 20 minutes prior but didn't seem to register. Still couldn't put on my helmet.

Logged out and tried a different server in AUS this time in hopes of wearing a helmet. Forced me to make a character again. Then got infinite load.

Meh. I'm out.

BDSSE!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 28, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hate on anyone's ship crush, but to me this is the most boring generic ArtStation resume portfolio filler that I've ever seen. To me it has no soul, no story, and the the design doesn't really look like it makes any kind of mechanical or engineering sense, even within the "laws" of the universe. But I understand design/art development even less than I understand game development. Maybe someone can help explain to me why I find this SC design unappealing while I find this...

... to be awesome? I've heard people say that the art/design department of CIG is there best department, but I don't really get it. None of their ships really stand out to me. None of them are like, "Man! I really want to fly that!". The Mole and Starfarer are alright I guess.

Yeah I'm not going to defend Star Citizen's art, I think most of it is reheated Olive Garden blandness, I just kind of like the Redeemer because the studio obviously dislikes it so much and I am fond of that kind of game ephemera.

The main reason I find Star Citizen's art uninspiring is because it has no core tenet. Do ships need engines in space? Do they need wings? Thrusters? What is the principle of motion that they operate by? What are the design principles that spring from having cheap-as-in-free artificial gravity? What is the risk, structurally, of windows vs internal view screens? Is it safe to attach cargo outside your ship or does it all need to be safely contained during quantum flight? Star Citizen has no answer to any of these. For any principle you set out, you're going to find other ships that violate it. Chunky ships, sleek ships, windowed ships, ships that are clearly built for lift, ships that don't are about lift, big engine intakes, no engine intakes, cargo inside, cargo outside. It's just "Whatever, whenever."

Lacking any constraints, the art becomes extremely boring. It's clear that it is more a case of meeting Chris's design sense with every individual piece instead of trying to position it within a wider world.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Like, thinking about Elite. Let's list some principles that you can sort of use as guidelines for their ship art:

* Ships get around real space via big thruster arrays, and rotate/orient in real time through extra thrusters dotted around the ship. All ships need these and display these prominently.

* Ships do not need to be aerodynamic because their extra thrusters will produce enough lift in most situations. You'll see ships of all kinds of wildly un-flightworthy geometric shapes, and you'll also notice that some ships have a lot of trouble on planets when you turn so that not enough thrusters can push you off the ground.

* Ships have a need to radiate heat, and every ship will display prominent radiators when spooling up QT or otherwise doing hot stuff.

* Ships always land on a single 2D surface with gravity, be it a pad or a planet, so all ships have deployable landing gear and fit within certain pad sizes.

* Ships have hardpoints for attaching utilities and weapons, these tend to be retractable so they can be stowed for QT and landing

* Ships have a standardized set of pilot HUDs such that every cockpit is going to be broadly similar with at most a different layout for the same instruments

And so on and so forth. You can still produce a huge variety of ships! But suddenly when you see something like the mamba:

or the cobra:

it's easy to get the impression that they're from the same body of ships, the same universe, because they obey all of the design points mentioned above.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Viscous Soda posted:

I think it's because everything in Star Citizen is stolen a tribute to other concepts so it all ends up being watered down and generic. If you Google "Sci-fi dropship" you'll get loads of art and renders that look almost exactly like it; it's so generic that looking at the posted JPG I immediately realized it was the dropship CIG sold.

I can’t say any of the ships are amazing original artwork, but for the most part I think they at least look cool. CIG is really good at marketing and designing them in a way that lets you project all of your space nerd fantasies on them, especially since you can walk through them in first person. Of course none of it works or will ever work in any gameplay sense, but I can see allure of them at least back in the days before it became blatantly obvious that the game would never be finished.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think most of the ship designs in CIG are overdesigned as gently caress, or look like they're from a totally different game.
Seb, your continuing adventures in this pile is making me want to reinstall this thing and see if it even bothers to run.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I bet almost anyone here can identify the sounds alone of the X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and Millenium Falcon. Just the sound. These were dreamed up in the 70s and are in use to this day.

Chris Roberts believes he's in that creative camp, and all his stolen and/or uninspired hack designs are an equivalent IP. That alone says everything about this project.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

I bet almost anyone here can identify the sounds alone of the X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and Millenium Falcon. Just the sound. These were dreamed up in the 70s and are in use to this day.

Chris Roberts believes he's in that creative camp, and all his stolen and/or uninspired hack designs are an equivalent IP. That alone says everything about this project.

To be fair, imagine being an artist working under him. The man has no clear cut aesthetic and changes what the gently caress he wants multiple times a day.

I'd just wing it for a paycheck and do my own portfolio work for when I get inevitably fired.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Full Burn is better than John Williams :smugbert:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

To be fair, imagine being an artist working under him. The man has no clear cut aesthetic and changes what the gently caress he wants multiple times a day.

I'd just wing it for a paycheck and do my own portfolio work for when I get inevitably fired.

Full Burn is better than John Williams :smuggo:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm loathe to say it but I feel like we need to do an ARGcast. This poo poo is wild.

Perhaps you also feel hollow, like death?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In the spirit of ultimate fairness that animates Spaceman James like a hungry dybbuk, I have to note that after I reinstalled sc on my ssd it loads very quickly, like a minute or so. I'll put up another of his adventures tonight if I'm not too drunk when I get home.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Kosumo posted:

Full Burn is better than John Williams :smugbert:

Kosumo posted:

Full Burn is better than John Williams :smuggo:

Sure, but twice as good? I think not.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Weird, I just logged into my account and I have all this crap I never bought.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

colonelwest posted:

I can’t say any of the ships are amazing original artwork, but for the most part I think they at least look cool. CIG is really good at marketing and designing them in a way that lets you project all of your space nerd fantasies on them, especially since you can walk through them in first person. Of course none of it works or will ever work in any gameplay sense, but I can see allure of them at least back in the days before it became blatantly obvious that the game would never be finished.

Eh, I realize it's subjective, but pretty much all of Star Citizens ship designs annoy me.

The most common aesthetic seems to be "I kit bashed a 70's space ship, a jet ski, and a f35 together" but worse. It's just like... Crobberts can't conceive of the idea a space ship without wings. You've even got ships like the Caterpillar that have a single idiotic wing stuck on one side. The geometry of the ships is weird too, they all have these weird curved bits, lumpy bits, and protruding bits that makes every ship look... bloated I guess, like it just got stung by a bee or something.

I honestly can't think of a ship they've sold that's gotten anything more then "that's not too bad" from me.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
No one ever wrote down a formal design for the game play, so you're left with a bunch of designers who also were never given a formal design for ships beyond "whatever sells". It's a mish-mash of every popular sci-fi movie/show of the past 40 years.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

A thought just crossed my mind. We assume that a lot of germans are heavily "invested" in Star Citizen (whales). I further assume that quite a lot of them might have a background in IT. Many IT people in germany are self-employed, and there is really good money to be made.

In march, every self-employed and smaller company in germany was able to sign-up for corona money. 10.000 EUR for self-employed people, up to 30.000 EUR for companies up to five employees. The process was very simple. Send your tax number, name, address, bank account, state what expenses you have to cover for which might be in danger due to corona, download pdf, sign, scan, send. The money arrived couple days later (you don't have to pay it back, but might get checked in regard to what you spent it on.

Overall, around 50 billion EUR where paid out.

Now strangely, one of the branches that hasn't tanked (yet) here in germany currently is IT (at least it's what I'm experiencing and what people I know also tell me).

So...how many backers suddenly had 10.000 EUR on their hands which they - couple weeks later - realized they might not need to survive, and blew that on Star Citizen JPEGs?

tl;dr: is germany indirectly funding Star Citizen?

tuo fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 28, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Germany was handing out 10,000 Euros (11k USD) to self employed people and it took the U.S. a few months to finally send out $1200 to the poorest workers. What in the gently caress?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Well, Germany also currently pays all employees that companies currently don't need/would fire due to the tanking economy 62 to 68% (depending if they have kids) of their former income (basically the same you get when you become unemployed over here for the first year) to prevent mass layoffs. Basically companies can send the people home, no longer have to pay their salary (that's now paid by the state), and if (lol) the economy picks up again, companies can bring the people back in.

A lot of my customers use that, as it really helps them to survive and not have to fire skilled people they just don't have work for at the moment.

I'd have to check again, but IIRC currently around 30% or even more of the workforce in germany is in this "Kurzarbeit"-scheme.

I totally assume germany to go bankrupt in a couple of months.

tuo fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 28, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Dude has been loyal to black turtlenecks for a decade!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

When CIg does put out ships that look decent, they often gently caress it up by fudging the details and not thinking things through.

For example, the Vanguard: Initially released with an rear end model, and later revised to look better. However, can never actually look good, because the nose is a 50/50 split between sleek WW2 machinegun nose and A-10 chaingun. There really isn't aesthetic room for both on there.

Or the Carrack: has gone through so many iterations that people were taking sides on which iteration they preferred. Almost all of the iterations prompted by an unusable interior layout. The final edition is, um, chonky; the lines were compromised to both fit in enough interior space and fit inside the (medium?) docking bay. Reminds me of the Odysseus from X4, which suffers from the same problem; uncomfortably chonky in order to fit an M-class docking berth in the back.

PS: Still can't believe *noone* figured out beforehand that the Freelancer's top turret couldn't be accessed except through the (presumably usually in use) cargo bay...

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
The thread grows fast again the last couple of days. What happened?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beexoffel posted:

Javelin is in the game.

Buy an Idris.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

no_recall posted:

Javelin is in the game.

Buy an Idris.

I must admit I totally forgot what a Javelin looks like. Is it one of the big ones? Is there a video somewhere showing how well it glitches?

A dwarf in my D&D group uses javelins every week when we play .Her heavy plate armour slows her so she has trouble getting in melee range of the monsters. So she throws javelins at them. When she rolls poorly for attack, I tend to say stuff like "you hit the wall behind him" or "it bounces off its armour". Should I say "your javelin glitches through the bandit"? "You should buy an Idris."?

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

tuo posted:

A thought just crossed my mind. We assume that a lot of germans are heavily "invested" in Star Citizen (whales). I further assume that quite a lot of them might have a background in IT. Many IT people in germany are self-employed, and there is really good money to be made.

In march, every self-employed and smaller company in germany was able to sign-up for corona money. 10.000 EUR for self-employed people, up to 30.000 EUR for companies up to five employees. The process was very simple. Send your tax number, name, address, bank account, state what expenses you have to cover for which might be in danger due to corona, download pdf, sign, scan, send. The money arrived couple days later (you don't have to pay it back, but might get checked in regard to what you spent it on.

Now strangely, one of the branches that hasn't tanked (yet) here in germany currently is IT (at least it's what I'm experiencing and what people I know also tell me).

So...how many backers suddenly had 10.000 EUR on their hands which they - couple weeks later - realized they might not need to survive, and blew that on Star Citizen JPEGs?

From spectrum/ reddit I dont have feelings that there are disproportionately big german population.

Though I based on mine anecdotal evidence I firmly believe that huge majority of commandos are working in IT.
(I know several collegues who "pledged" to CIG, though they refuse to tell me how much or discuss SC/SQ54 at all. I have no idea why. )

It that regards CIG/SC is very similiar to bitcoin.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
ELEVATOR BURRITO BUG

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

- take elevator and press lobby
- bug passing through elevator for a second, durring the elevator movement
- came back in the elevator with a burrito

ACTUAL RESULT

during the movement of the lift, the player pass though and I see the stars saky, and came back to my position, with a burrito in my hand.

EXPECTED RESULT

nothing like that

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

HorseBodyInspector posted:

From spectrum/ reddit I dont have feelings that there are disproportionately big german population.

Though I based on mine anecdotal evidence I firmly believe that huge majority of commandos are working in IT.
(I know several collegues who "pledged" to CIG, though they refuse to tell me how much or discuss SC/SQ54 at all. I have no idea why. )

It that regards CIG/SC is very similiar to bitcoin.

I guess I'm just remembering some mumbling from CInotG when they hosted the CitCon in Germany about how important ze germans where for the fanbase. Then again, I assume that's the typical marketing talk.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Someone show this to CR. It's refactoring time baby.

https://twitter.com/skilful/status/1265875309980643329?s=20

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Beexoffel posted:

CIG tried to do a free fly event for Memorial Weekend. Been a bit of a train wreck.

While the train was crashing CIG also released a trailer for its latest whale ship, and also delayed the video explaining while the SQ42 video was being delayed. Or something.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

CIG tried to do a free fly event for Memorial Weekend. Been a bit of a train wreck.

While the train was crashing CIG also released a trailer for its latest whale ship, and also delayed the video explaining while the SQ42 video was being delayed. Or something.

And there I was, reading 300 pages behind while doing my repetitive Elite exploration routine.
I am going to do a Derekread and jump 20 pages back from newest to catch up, thanks!

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

tuo posted:

I guess I'm just remembering some mumbling from CInotG when they hosted the CitCon in Germany about how important ze germans where for the fanbase. Then again, I assume that's the typical marketing talk.

Germany is biggest EU state population wise.So you get attention. Czechia and Slovakia are small, and probably Chris dont even know we exists .
( This have CIG common with google stadia. Not that I miss it)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beexoffel posted:

I must admit I totally forgot what a Javelin looks like. Is it one of the big ones? Is there a video somewhere showing how well it glitches?

A dwarf in my D&D group uses javelins every week when we play .Her heavy plate armour slows her so she has trouble getting in melee range of the monsters. So she throws javelins at them. When she rolls poorly for attack, I tend to say stuff like "you hit the wall behind him" or "it bounces off its armour". Should I say "your javelin glitches through the bandit"? "You should buy an Idris."?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8mbKZHFSc

I was watching several DCS tutorial videos cause the in game tutorials suck when this suddenly started playing. So there you have it the Javelin! Its non playable AI operated Destroyer that you must, absolutely must have in your fleet.

They're sold out.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

tuo posted:

Record-breaking year in funding started long before kurzarbeit or other pandemic measures in Germany. There might be some correlation, but it should be more than outweighed by economic downturn, widespread anxiety about the future and millions unemployed. I wouldn't be surprised if there was correlation between funding and dropping oil prices/ruble.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen must be the best place to hedge your money.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

tuo posted:

Sandi's surprise rendition of horst wessel lied or deutschland uber alles or whatever was perhaps the most cunning marketing plot since Baldrick began plotting cunning plans.

We had an adherent in this very thread for a time, but even he has given up and plays Elite now.

I really hope that footage resurfaces again for the HBO doco....

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EELI4WQwPcY

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beexoffel posted:

I am going to do a Derekread and jump 20 pages back from newest to catch up, thanks!

So you're saying Derek called it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development