Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Hell yeah Kenan and Kelly are great names for a pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pander posted:

Charlie and Sweet Dee.

Dennis and Deandra/Dee are some pretty good backup options, I gotta say.

mistaya posted:

Well you said you found them in some jasmine ivy so maybe Jasmine for the girl and Rajah for the boy? :3:

hiddenriverninja posted:

I like this! You can call them Jazz and Raj. The youtube channel creates itself!

I actually considered naming the girl Jasmine and nicknaming her Jazz, but that name hasn’t really grabbed at me for some reason. I want to give them names that immediately ping my interest, and preferably that also mean something and fit what little I’ve seen of their personalities. I don’t know if Kenan and Kelly meet those last two conditions, but they are the first names I’ve thought of that illicit any kind of emotion in me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mcmagic posted:

This is Quincy who I am fostering and he's a very nice boy.

Oops!

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 16, 2020

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Kenan and Kelly are all that.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t know if Kenan and Kelly meet those last two conditions, but they are the first names I’ve thought of that illicit any kind of emotion in me.

They're good! If they make you smile that's pretty much the bar to clear.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Also, they're cats.

Number of times I have called Kiska by her name this morning: 0
Number of times I have called her Dumpus Cat, Little Boops, and Chumbus: Infinite?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Maybe 1% of the time I call my cats by their names and the other 99% it's things like sweetie pie, sweet beans, beanie baby, round baby, or specifically for my cat Buttercup, delicate whiney princess.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Cat names are for the vet.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Aww.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

He got adopted today. :/

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm glad he got a new forever home :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gorgar posted:

Cat names are for the vet.

or dog names.

hence Fish, Secret Agent Dog, and Tyrannosaurus Rex

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Alder posted:

I'm glad he got a new forever home :3:

Yep. It's always hard to see them go, and taking time to grieve is normal and good, but yay on him getting a permanent family!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yep. It's always hard to see them go, and taking time to grieve is normal and good, but yay on him getting a permanent family!

I only had him for like 10 days. Apparently cats are flying off the shelves these days.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I only had him for like 10 days. Apparently cats are flying off the shelves these days.

For real.

Lockdown makes people who were on the fence suddenly decide they need an animal. The agency we've fostered for literally doesn't have any more cats for people to foster right now, and there are only eight up for adoption when usually there are dozens. Apparently there's a waiting list for kittens.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yep, I haven't been able to foster because every time an email goes out the cats/kittens get snatched up within 3-5 minutes. My 17 y/o daughter was even willing to do bottle babies since she's home from school 24/7 but even those have been claimed in mere seconds whereas usually they have to beg people to respond.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a good problem

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My kittens are play-fighting and learning how to jump and pounce on stuff :3:

They’re also growing teeth and their claws are super sharp now, like I might have to start feeding them with gloves on. Thinking I might need to introduce them to toys soon.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
On the upside, they have the perfect partner to show them that claws and teeth hurt. Each other.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I saw Kelly use the litter box for the first time today! :3:

Kenan was across the room at the time and didn’t see it, but still progress!

Kitten Lady seems to indicate that this means maybe I don’t have to poop-wipe Kelly anymore. Is that right? She’s certainly old enough.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How worried should I be if both kittens aren’t hungry during one feeding that occurred around 7 or 8 hours after the previous feeding, and one of them threw up the little bit of food I did manage to get in his mouth, but otherwise they’re both still behaving normally?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I’ve been bottle-feeding them a mix of milk replacer and Purina Pro Plan wet kitten food for about the last 36 hours to get them ready for weaning, as per Kitten Lady’s advice.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 22, 2020

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

I saw Kelly use the litter box for the first time today! :3:

Kenan was across the room at the time and didn’t see it, but still progress!

Kitten Lady seems to indicate that this means maybe I don’t have to poop-wipe Kelly anymore. Is that right? She’s certainly old enough.

Yeah sounds like they are able to go on their own now! Good job getting them this far :3:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it normal for kittens to eat a little bit less than before once they hit 4 1/2 weeks old?

Kelly only ate about a tablespoon of kitten food/milk replacer mix during her feeding just now, and she didn’t eat a whole lot during her previous feeding either, which was almost 12 hours before (because the alarm I set to feed her overnight didn’t go off and I accidentally slept through it). She was obviously hungry for that one tablespoon though; she tried to steal Kenan’s food while I was feeding him, and she had no issues latching when her turn came to eat. Still behaving normally, too.

I know I’m asking a lot of possibly-dumb questions. I’m just paranoid about overlooking something that might not be discovered as a problem until it’s too late. I don’t want one or both of the kittens to die because I didn’t ask a question I should have.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay I just fed them again and Kelly didn’t eat very much for the third time in a row.

I’m not sure what to think about this. She starts out actively trying to get her mouth on the bottle, happily sucks on it for a few seconds, and then refuses it after only eating about a tablespoon or so, maybe slightly less. This is a lot less than she normally eats, and the time gaps between feedings have been on the long side. I tried giving her some plain old milk replacer when she started refusing the milk replacer/wet food slurry and she refused that too. She’s also only gained about 0.25 oz a day for the last 3 days, which seems low.

Again, she seems to be acting normal otherwise, but I’m starting to get worried.

Do I need to make a trip to the vet?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I went ahead and took her to the vet this afternoon. We didn’t have enough cash to do any blood work or x-rays (this was a different vet than the one we normally go to), but they gave me some Nurti-Cal high-calorie syrup to add to her food to see if it entices her to eat more.

If she stops eating altogether, throws up at all, or loses weight, then I’m gonna take her back in immediately. Otherwise, unless she starts eating more with the Nutri-Cal (and probably even then), I’m gonna take her to our regular vet on Monday or Tuesday and see if they can do any tests for cheaper. If I wait until Tuesday, we should have a bit more money by then.

EDIT: She gained 0.8 oz since yesterday, so hopefully that’s something.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 24, 2020

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

I went ahead and took her to the vet this afternoon. We didn’t have enough cash to do any blood work or x-rays (this was a different vet than the one we normally go to), but they gave me some Nurti-Cal high-calorie syrup to add to her food to see if it entices her to eat more.

If she stops eating altogether, throws up at all, or loses weight, then I’m gonna take her back in immediately. Otherwise, unless she starts eating more with the Nutri-Cal (and probably even then), I’m gonna take her to our regular vet on Monday or Tuesday and see if they can do any tests for cheaper. If I wait until Tuesday, we should have a bit more money by then.

EDIT: She gained 0.8 oz since yesterday, so hopefully that’s something.

Sounds good!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just fed them for the first time since today’s vet visit, and Kelly still doesn’t want to eat much. It seems she isn’t going for the Nutri-Cal.

Also now Kenan is doing the exact same poo poo. :negative: He was inhaling entire bottles of food at every feeding before. Now he won’t eat more than about 1 tablespoon, same as Kelly.

So it looks like whatever is wrong with Kelly is spreading.

I can think of two possibilities for what’s going on:
1. Both kittens ate some kitty litter and have an intestinal blockage (the litter in their box is unscented paper litter, though there’s a little bit of the clay stuff on the floor that spilled out from their previous box)
2. They have some sort of spreadable illness or parasite

I’m wondering if either of these things might mean I need to take both of them to the vet before Monday. Or if something else is going on.

EDIT: wait...... could this be a sign that I should start giving them food in bowls?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 24, 2020

Rufflebutt
Jun 9, 2016

Fallen Rib
I would try out canned wet food before you spend the cash at the vet, worst case you find out it doesn't work. When our kittens showed up at the house they would at least eat most of the sauce, maybe not a lot of the meat bits at first.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yep - cattes can be incredibly picky when it comes to...everything. It sounds like they're growing up! I would try switching up their food before taking them to the vet.

You're good people IM Gei

:kimchi:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ALRIGHT, SO...

The kittens aren’t sure about the whole solid food thing yet. That’s normal. That’ll take some time.

I noticed one of them had thrown up when I went to feed them this morning, and since the vet told me to bring them in if I saw that (since they’re both doing the same poo poo now, and it’s not just Kelly), I went ahead and took both of them in to get some tests done.

We took a bit of a gamble with the vet tests. Rather than x-ray and blood-test both kittens, we pretended that they were both in identical health (since they’ve both basically been together in the same room, eaten the same foods, and gotten the same care all day every day since I took them in), x-rayed one of them (Kenan), and blood-tested the other one (Kelly). This was risky and I’m not thrilled about it, but it also cost us half as much as it would have otherwise, which we kinda needed this month.

Anyway, the tests found nothing wrong and both kittens appear to be perfectly happy and healthy. The vet told me to try giving them the same flavor kitten food at every feeding until their stomachs get adjusted to it, and maybe try introducing them to a different kind/brand of food during one feeding per day to see if they like it better. Then if we find a food they like more, we can switch to that. But otherwise the vet said to just keep doing what I’m doing.

So that’s good. :)

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Just out of curiosity, but have you had them de-wormed? Usually when I see kittens start eating less it's because they have worms in their little bellies taking up space.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Very good point. I assume the vet visits should have brought that up, but it's still worth mentioning here.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The vet didn’t mention deworming yesterday or today. I asked my regular vet about that when I took the kittens in 2 or 3 weeks ago and they said it wasn’t time for it for another few weeks.

I can call and ask about that tomorrow, though, unless that’s an urgent enough issue that I need to take them to the emergency vet tonight (which, PLEASE tell me if it is, cuz otherwise that emergency vet is expensive and I don’t wanna go there unless I have to).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I haven’t asked the vet about worms yet because I got distracted by Memorial Day cooking stuff.

BUT

The kittens are eating a lot more now. They drained a little over half a bottle per feeding yesterday and today. So that’s something.

... I uhh...... I’ve been having a bit of trouble feeding them at 6-hour intervals like I’m supposed to... but still.

I’m working on getting them to eat food out of bowls now. Do y’all have any tips for that?

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Kitten Lady has some great videos on weaning that might be able to help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kAsTM7Kd-k

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I know, I already watched those.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is going to be interesting.....

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mcmagic posted:

This is going to be interesting.....

Did you find some new friends?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Did you find some new friends?

They are fosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

mcmagic posted:

They are fosters.

So...potential new friends.