Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

We really don't know exactly HOW Potara work. I mean, originally it was going to be permanent, and Elder Kai stayed fused after removing his. They retconned it into only being permanent for Kaioshin, and from there we haven't really seen any absolutely unassailable evidence for defusion methods other than time/power drain and wishes.

We see Goku Black's earring get cracked, but that never feeds into anything. We see Kefla unfused when Kale and Caulifla land in the stands, but despite the earrings breaking we can't be sure that wasn't due to other reasons, like the teleportation to the stands undoing it, or her power running out at that point. The earrings breaking could just be intended to tell us "and we're taking these out of the equation too".

Now, yeah, it probably WAS supposed to be "the Potara broke so the fusion failed", but I'm just saying that it's not absolutely, 100% definitive, so it's hard to argue one way or the other for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Burkion posted:

Let's be super honest, only Kale was pulling her weight power wise. Kefla is basically Cauli's personality married to Kale's muscle.

That's probably the only reason she wasn't able to 1 v 1 Jiren herself

All she needs to unlock her true power is to break into a musical number.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Kurui Reiten posted:

We really don't know exactly HOW Potara work. I mean, originally it was going to be permanent, and Elder Kai stayed fused after removing his. They retconned it into only being permanent for Kaioshin, and from there we haven't really seen any absolutely unassailable evidence for defusion methods other than time/power drain and wishes.

We see Goku Black's earring get cracked, but that never feeds into anything. We see Kefla unfused when Kale and Caulifla land in the stands, but despite the earrings breaking we can't be sure that wasn't due to other reasons, like the teleportation to the stands undoing it, or her power running out at that point. The earrings breaking could just be intended to tell us "and we're taking these out of the equation too".

Now, yeah, it probably WAS supposed to be "the Potara broke so the fusion failed", but I'm just saying that it's not absolutely, 100% definitive, so it's hard to argue one way or the other for sure.

Yeah, exactly. They left things ambiguous so they can continue to use whatever rules they want for Potara.

When's Heroes going to introduce the dance version of Kale + Caulifla? I guess it'd be...

Ka-ri-fu-ra
+
Ke-ru

Kariru?

Anyway, at least in the anime, I don't think -Sign- is supposed to be significantly stronger attack-wise than regular SSB, so I still don't see Goku beating Kefla 1v1 in a regular, non-tournament fight if he can't activate MUI.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I figured the fusion broke because they used up all their time by expending so much energy, and the breaking of the earring was just a way of showing they were spent anyway. The blast Goku did was kind of weird since it seemed more like it just pushed her away instead of actually hurting her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean I know expecting consistency in Dragonball and all but Vegito's earings didn't break when he ran out of power. I don't think there's anything indicating they are one-use-only.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I meant the blast broke them when they were in the middle of unfusing anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

I meant the blast broke them when they were in the middle of unfusing anyway.

No it doesn't.

Goku knocks Kefla off -> The earring shatters and then we see Kefka teleported back -> it's Caulifla and Kale who actually appear back in the stands.

Like there's absolutely no reason to assume that the earring being shattered isn't the reason for Kefla's defusing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's because it looked dramatic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The earring breaking was dramatic shorthand for Goku completely overwhelming and beating Kefla

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The potara breaking isn’t so dramatic considering Vegeta crunched one in his hand pretty easily.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kurui Reiten posted:

We see Goku Black's earring get cracked

I'm still mad nothing came of that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

TheHan posted:

The potara breaking isn’t so dramatic considering Vegeta crunched one in his hand pretty easily.

It's symbolic in that both cases say fusion isn't an option for them anymore.

Course they got eliminated and it's technically a moot point, but the point was made that Goku soundly beat her.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqJzR6rDBQM

This Fighterz Goku UI raid video popped in my recommended and at around the 16:40 mark it has a moment that is straight out of the anime like holy poo poo :eyepop:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

lezard_valeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqJzR6rDBQM

This Fighterz Goku UI raid video popped in my recommended and at around the 16:40 mark it has a moment that is straight out of the anime like holy poo poo :eyepop:

jesus goddamn christ these dudes had me cracking up

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I had the wildest thought to beat Moro. What are the odds of Goku telling Vegeta to get on his shoulders? Goku will auto dodge everything Moro has, while Vegeta attacks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth TNT posted:

I had the wildest thought to beat Moro. What are the odds of Goku telling Vegeta to get on his shoulders? Goku will auto dodge everything Moro has, while Vegeta attacks.

Vegeta tries to get on Goku's shoulders for their winning strategy, but Ultra Instinct considers it an attack so he instantly dodges Vegeta, causing him to fall on his rear end.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I'm surprised they didnt atleast try the Yakon strategy

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Darth TNT posted:

This but Goku has Vegeta in a little baby carrier.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MECHA-SHIVA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They probably would have legit tried that in Dragon Ball.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

dr.acula posted:

I'm surprised they didnt atleast try the Yakon strategy

Moro eats planets and seems to have no limit on how much he can consume. Or, at the very least, he's not as dumb as Yakon.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Babe Magnet posted:

MECHA-SHIVA

The Invincible Bota-Magetta

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Moro eats planets and seems to have no limit on how much he can consume. Or, at the very least, he's not as dumb as Yakon.

Ah but Goku probably is, looking at the Goku vs. Super 17 fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheHan posted:

Why did they ever break this formation? It was actually working out really well for them.

dr.acula posted:

Ah but Goku probably is, looking at the Goku vs. Super 17 fight.

Possibly. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TheHan posted:

Wasn't Botamo supposed to be the one on the bottom, since he's the one who can absorb all physical damage?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

amigolupus posted:

Wasn't Botamo supposed to be the one on the bottom, since he's the one who can absorb all physical damage?

No because bota can be thrown and dragged but if he's sitting on top of magetta he becomes a pair of industructable ear plugs. Magettas only weakness is hearing an insult

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Why did they ever break this formation? It was actually working out really well for them.

They got separated when Kale went Broly and started nuking the arena, from memory.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The series should have ended at the same point TFS stopped making parody episodes.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The series should have ended at the same point TFS stopped making parody episodes.

nah

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gohan has never really ever been written as terribly interesting, and I can understand why Toriyama went back to Goku after a while of writing him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

No because that implies that the show should have ended before the Great Saiyaman arc, a.k.a. the best arc in the series.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gohan has never really ever been written as terribly interesting, and I can understand why Toriyama went back to Goku after a while of writing him.

The Great Saiyaman rules and a character who doesn't really like fighting but has to to protect those close to him amongst a bunch of meatheads who just like punching for punching's sake is an interesting character, even if Toriyama doesn't really know how to let that drive his story

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also I'd rather not have the series end on Cell.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think having Cell be a part of the universal tournament would have been baller

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Homora Gaykemi posted:

The Great Saiyaman rules and a character who doesn't really like fighting but has to to protect those close to him amongst a bunch of meatheads who just like punching for punching's sake is an interesting character, even if Toriyama doesn't really know how to let that drive his story

Okay, the Great Saiyaman is great, but I still stand by the notion that Toriyama (and Toei for that matter) not knowing what to do with Gohan has really dragged down his potential.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It should have been Resurrection C. Cell is back and the whole saga could involve Gohan having to beat him again and get over his inner feelings while Goku and Vegeta are training with Whis unaware. Then Blue could premier during the Universe 6 tourney. Then during the ToP Gohan wouldn't need to be rushed to be powerful again and then Frieza could be asked for help.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Okay, the Great Saiyaman is great, but I still stand by the notion that Toriyama (and Toei for that matter) not knowing what to do with Gohan has really dragged down his potential.

i dunno, gohan was fine up until the end of the buu saga and then he stopped writing gohan that way. its not like tried to make gohan interesting and failed, he just stopped altogether

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eh, Cell is an idea that works fine exactly once. If you're going to retread that whole thing again, you might as well bring Android 21 into canon.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

you might as well bring Android 21 into canon.

a) if that means resurrecting my sweet son C16 as well then sure

b) all for it as long as she steps on my throat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Look I don't care how you do it bring android 16 back. You can bullshit Bulma making a new version and recovering his brain chip or some poo poo.

Also yes canon 21 please