Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Mostly just venting: flat down stairs has a doguppant since Christmas. Said doguppant is never walked, fat as a fool and constantly barks at every sound with no sign of improvement. My dog is barking and grumbling in response thought we are working on quiet and calm. Tempted to accidentally go round the back amongst the piles of poo poo left to rot and just let the two dogs scrap it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So...

In the spirit of "new puppy owner maybe freaks out over nothing" I wanted to ask about behavior my lab pup's exhibiting.

We have a cat carrier in her play pen, that is her ad hoc 2nd kennel.

Lately, when we put her in her pen for either time out, or to keep her safe while we cook or what not, she has started going into the carrier, and just FREAKING, THE gently caress OUT.

Like, I'm posting this morning because she was thrashing about so hard, the carrier lifted off the ground.

Advice/suggestions?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do you guys put water bowls on your dog's crate?

I haven't been, but now that the hot weather is here I feel like it's cruel and perhaps genuinely dangerous to deny the doggo water. I decided to just simply not crate her today (first day back to the office 🙄).

Also thinking I might buy a second AC to put in the living room because yea it's just way too hot in there but this gently caress still doesn't comprendo "no peeing in the house" so she needs to be crated...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeah I put water in with them.

They mostly sleep so it's rare to guzzle enough to result in passing in the crate... but if that happens they needed water sooo

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys put water bowls on your dog's crate?

I haven't been, but now that the hot weather is here I feel like it's cruel and perhaps genuinely dangerous to deny the doggo water. I decided to just simply not crate her today (first day back to the office 🙄).

Also thinking I might buy a second AC to put in the living room because yea it's just way too hot in there but this gently caress still doesn't comprendo "no peeing in the house" so she needs to be crated...
Yeah, I agree that a dog should have access to water while crated.

I bought a water bowl with a bracket so it could hang directly inside the crate door. It worked very well, didn't make a mess (unless someone accidentally slammed the door), and the dog got the hang of it immediately.

Be aware that some dogs will absolutely binge on water -- they'll get thirsty, and then vacuum up every drop in their bowl. That can cause serious health issues, so make sure you know your dog's drinking habits before leaving her unsupervised with a very full water bowl (crated or otherwise).

And you don't have to completely fill the bowl up, especially if you're able to check on her every so often -- just enough so she won't go thirsty or panic about not having water available.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The dog in question drinks more than I do, she's insane. Also I was more just concerned about her knocking the bowl over :v:

A friend of mine, his dog will drink so much she pukes. Mine isn't that bad, but she definitely drinks more than my other dog who has 20 pounds on her.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

Sab669 posted:

The dog in question drinks more than I do, she's insane. Also I was more just concerned about her knocking the bowl over :v:

We got a bracketed bowl for our dog's crate and it's pretty solid. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MD3NLS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_ZawZEbHVV3REH

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That's the same one I got. I like it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

No suggestions RE my Thrashing Puppy?
Or am i over reacting?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

probably dramatic and hopefully approaching an extinction event

I've seen a basset eat his way through a crate, but he eventually got there.

/e- or if it doesn't happen with other crates, could just be the carrier or smell or whatnot. Who really knows? puppeis

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Hey! Meet bobby, hes some kind of mix of whippet/dingo/kelpie without any of the working dog energy (has a super high prey drive though) has only 15 kilos so hes a smallish dog (and that's while being a bit over weight)

https://twitter.com/maid_OW/status/1264125101571633152?s=19

My question is: has anyone had experiences with anti anxiety medication to treat reactive dogs. Bobby gets really aggressive and snarly around other dogs then as soon as he realizes whats going on starts cowering.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Tommu posted:

My question is: has anyone had experiences with anti anxiety medication to treat reactive dogs. Bobby gets really aggressive and snarly around other dogs then as soon as he realizes whats going on starts cowering.

My whippet-y terrier mix is on anti anxiety medication and she still wants to fight most of the dogs in the neighborhood.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tommu posted:

Hi Bobby! I’m about to go to bed but can write more in the morning. My dog has been on Zoloft for almost a decade now and it’s been really great for him but it’s important to speak with a vet educated in behavior because it can take a while to find the right med and dosage, just like with people. Some can also paradoxically make them more likely to bite so its good to have a pro on board.

Meds are just part of the fix though and they need to come with training and management. I did a ton of positive reinforcement based reactive dog classes with my dog and we got to the point where he’s safe in public and generally won’t try to murder other dogs for existing. He still hates them and would love to kill them but the meds and training have upped his tolerance. Realistic goals are a must.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Bundy posted:

Don't avoid, deal. If you start avoiding the lobby you'll reinforce that the dog should. It's normal to go through the lobby so make sure you're as calm as possible when returning. Don't push on through returning home until the dog is calm at the threshold to the lobby, then you walk in. If pooch kicks off as you go to walk in, repeat. The message is that progression (and treats) occur when calm pup is calm and trusting the leader (you).

Update on this, I've been going this direction with the lobby issue, and he's back to walking happily through the front door of the building again.

Thanks!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Update on this, I've been going this direction with the lobby issue, and he's back to walking happily through the front door of the building again.

Thanks!

Delighted to hear it!

The Bananana posted:

No suggestions RE my Thrashing Puppy?
Or am i over reacting?

You're not overreacting, it's unwanted/unhealthy behaviour and should be addressed, assuming pup can fit ok in the carrier (too confined and it's a valid legit reaction). I'm guessing at some point pup went into the carrier in a not good calm state and now associates that state of mind with that situation. Pooch needs to be calm before you shut the door (use treats to encourage) and crucially also doesn't get to come out unless calm.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

A week ago I got a maltese/chinese crested mixed pup. He is 9 weeks old now. For the first days he was very timid as I would assume, and then gradually got more relaxed and normal. The last couple of days however, he has started acting a lot more energetic/aggressive. It seems like he gets very aroused for some reason. He will start biting harder than usual (and has little interest in biting anything other than my skin), is much more stubborn and often tries to hump my legs. And if things don't go exactly the way he likes (end of play session, doesn't get to come up on the couch, doesn't get to eat my flesh), he will start growling and barking at me.

My first thought was that he wasn't stimulated enough. He is very timid when we go outside, so going on walks isn't really an option. We usually walk around on a spot of grass outside the apartment, this lasts between 5 and 30 minutes every time. I feed him kibble by hand or as rewards, he doesn't quite get the Kong yet, but we're working on it. Outside I often drop pieces of kibble on the grass for him to sniff out. Otherwise we play tug and fetch with different toys. But this last part usually gets him too excited, quickly ditching the toy and growling and biting on me instead.

Other stuff:
I give him a treat every time he settles naturally. I use a clicker to mark stuff I like him doing. The first couple of days he slept in a small pen in the living room (my room is adjacent with an open door), but during the day, he seems to dislike the pen (he only goes in for water), so this might have been more stressful on him than I thought. I wondered if this could be a factor, so let him sleep on the floor last night.

Is there something I can do to help this, or is this one of those things that kind of goes away in a couple of weeks/months?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I am considering getting a puppy during this quarantine period since I most likely won't go back to the office for the rest of the year. Before I really do a deep deep dive into the research involved after reading the OP, how viable is it to raise/train a puppy while working from home? I have not owned a dog before, and I realize how large a responsibility I would be undertaking monetarily and for training. Would I be better off trying to find a young shelter dog? I know there are several factors that will have to be considered, but I'm just looking more for general advice for the moment.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How easily does your job allow you to just step away from your desk for 5-10 minutes at a time? If your absence won't be noticed then I'd say it's probably fine.

You'll need to step away to deal with cleaning up messes and getting it out of trouble semi-often, taking it out to the bathroom regularly etc. If you're taking calls or something then it might be a problem.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Stepping away isn't really a problem and I do occasionally take phone calls, but it's not my job to be on the phone if that makes sense. Since I would be a first time dog owner, would it simply be easier/better to adopt a young dog? How hard is it to find a specific breed? I've looked at things like petfinder but obviously don't have any experience with that sort of thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pakman posted:

Stepping away isn't really a problem and I do occasionally take phone calls, but it's not my job to be on the phone if that makes sense. Since I would be a first time dog owner, would it simply be easier/better to adopt a young dog? How hard is it to find a specific breed? I've looked at things like petfinder but obviously don't have any experience with that sort of thing.

Right now it's going to be slim pickings for adopting a dog (which is awesome!) because a lot of people are having the same thoughts as you. I'd ask around your Facebook for Rescue pages, that's how I found my girl a few months ago.

Edit - Said girl making it a challenge to flip my mattress.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok which one of you jokers took my dogs head

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

pakman posted:

Since I would be a first time dog owner, would it simply be easier/better to adopt a young dog? How hard is it to find a specific breed? I've looked at things like petfinder but obviously don't have any experience with that sort of thing.

Look for breed specific rescues.

I personally think a specific breed is less important if you're looking into adopting a young adult dog that's been fostered for a while. It's hard to tell how big or fuzzy a puppy is going be when it grows up. If you adopt a dog that's about full grown then you know size and grooming requirements. Temperament is similar. If you adopt a dog that's been fostered for a few months then the rescue can probably give you a decent idea what the dog is like.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Erughhh. My hound is the most food motivated rear end in a top hat I've ever seen in my life.

Like a year ago I had to buy a child look for my fridge because she will open it, and she will eat the contents when left home alone. Previously she's eaten half of a 5-pound pack of raw chicken (and stashed the other half in the couch / under my pillow), a pound of sour cream, cheese, eggs, sandwich meats... Pretty much everything that isn't on the top shelf. Today, I forgot to lock the fridge before going to work for the first time in a very long time, came home and yea she ate 4 eggs, a bunch of cheese, and 3 crab rangoon :argh: Good thing I've been long overdue to go grocery shopping, I guess. But god drat it dog.

I want to know if she tests the fridge every single day, or if she's actually smart enough to visibly notice it's not locked. Either way, this jerk is too smart. Ugh.

Fat gently caress in question:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I feel your pain. Mine has eaten a ton of poo poo.

- Loaf of bread
- Bag of hot dog buns
- 3/4 a bag of Greenies treats
Etc, etc

Yesterday grilling I took a piece of cheese to put on a friends burger and the little piece of paper that separates the pieces fell to the deck and was instantly hoovered up.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I appreciate the floor cleaning service like that. But leave my actual food alone :'(

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I’ve told this story in a dog thread before (not sure if it was this one) but anyway...

My dog Tarkus is often my kitchen “helper” when I am making food. He’s a good boy though and usually just rests on the floor out of the way waiting for me toss him a nibble now and then if it’s something he can have safely. Anyway, I made two slices of peanut butter toast one morning and put them on a plate on the counter, Tarkus in his usual place on the floor. I was working from home that morning and heard my phone ring, so I scurried down to the bedroom to grab it. The entire round trip took at most 10 or 12 seconds. In that very short amount of time, one piece of toast disappeared without a trace, and Tarkus was still in his place on the floor like nothing had happened. :iiam:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hahaha almost the same thing happened to me. I was making a couple sandwiches, I laid the 4 pieces of bread out, went to get butter out of the fridge and came back to 3 slices.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
My mother's dog, Henry, is a greyhound/whippet or something, we don't really know, he was a rescue.

Anyway my younger brother and some friends were over there having a BBQ, including a big rear end chunk of cow. They finished cooking it and put it on the table inside. Not two minutes later they came back and it was just gone without a trace while Henry was lying on the couch groaning.

e:

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 2, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mine is super respectful of my food when I'm home. I can leave a plate of steak on my desk and go downstairs to do laundry and she won't touch it. But as soon as she sees my car pull out of the driveway, apparently it's time to scope out the fridge.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 2, 2020

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Good morning.

Found a lump on Poundcake today.

Its a small, firm lump, about smaller than a grape, but larger than a pea. Its under the skin, on her back, along the right ribs.

She's about 4 months old. Could it be cancer?

Regardless, I've scheduled a Vet Visit.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Did she get shots recently? My hound dog had a lump appear where she got a shot.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hmm... yeah, she had her last round of shots... 2 weeks ago, pretty close to that area,

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I thought my hound dog got herself stung or something until I remembered she got a shot about there fairly recently, like maybe a week or so before. In retrospect I should have probably called the vet and asked if that was something they wanted to see her for. Instead I just poked it every day to make sure it wasn't getting worse and it eventually went away. It didn't seem like it hurt or was bothering her.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Hi dog thread. I asked in the cat thread but was told to seek hep here too.

We have a 3yo beagle/pug/Boston and got a kitten. Dog is fine with the cats she knows in dogsitting spaces. She tends to ignore the cats.

When she sees our kitten, she whines and shakes. I am afraid she thinks kitty is a baby squirrel or other prey. Her normal prey drive is mostly KILL SQUIRREL, ignore rabbit, and what is a bird? She leaves our pet rat alone as well, though we don’t let them roam together, and of course never unsupervised. So prey drive is there for sure, but I think we can overcome it with work.

So far we have let them see each other across the room and are trading items that smell like the other between them. I plan on them meeting super gradually, and the kitten has plenty of dog free spaces. We let kitty roam shared spaces when the dog is outside to help him prepare for their eventual hopeful cohabitation.

My main questions were - letting a leashed dog smell kitty in a carrier - I have seen this recommended but am worried it will scare the cat. Is it a good idea or no?

And also I am just looking for tips other than giving them their own space, keeping vulnerable kitty safe with baby gates separating them and practicing sit/stay and recall with the dog with and without kitty. Dog is mostly good about both, but there is that beagle in there!

I can keep them separated forever if needed, but would rather not. We plan on going slow, having supervised interactions with leash and/ or baby gates and knowing they might never be best friends and accepting that. Any other tips, especially “do nots” would be great.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Suggestions for games to play with a puppy that gets easily aroused by playing?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well... not spin the bottle, I suppose.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

7 min in heaven?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

uncle blog posted:

Suggestions for games to play with a puppy that gets easily aroused by playing?

Tell that puppy that horney is forbidden

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Severe itching!

Like, not able to sleep through the night, cause she's biting and scratching all over. Benadryl has had limited effect.

Vet visit scheduled for monday morning.

Anything I should be looking for or at or into in the meantime to:

-Soothe the itching

-talk to the vet about

-keep puppy from hurting herself or getting a skin infection

As always, any and all help appreciated