Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Most people go with All-Star Superman, the plot of which is that Superman's cells become overloaded with solar radiation and he is left with one year to live. It's considered interesting because not only does it deal with Superman-as-person, it also actually increases his power level - in theory exacerbating the main difficulty in writing about him.

I prefer Superman: Secret Identity, but that isn't a story about the archetypal Superman at all. That's the whole point of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the justice League cartoon handles it as his story is he is so powerful that a government agency forms specifically to try and check him. While the organization is bad their fear is treated as legitimate and Superman has to figure out if he is capable of becoming a problem

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Same. There's an episode of Harvey Birdman which is (IIRC) an in-universe documentary about one of the characters who always wears an eyepatch. In the documentary he has two functioning eyes but is constantly doing stuff that makes it look like he's seconds away from losing one.

There's an entire running gag bordering on a subplot about a guy losing his hand in Hot Tub Time Machine.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jedit posted:

Most people go with All-Star Superman, the plot of which is that Superman's cells become overloaded with solar radiation and he is left with one year to live. It's considered interesting because not only does it deal with Superman-as-person, it also actually increases his power level - in theory exacerbating the main difficulty in writing about him.

What I really like about it is how it doesn't lean on cynicism to make a compelling story. You don't need to break Superman, or kill Lois, or question whether having all that power would give you a god complex. You can have a Superman that takes a moment out his day to stop a suicide because he happened to hear part of a conversation while he was busy saving the world. A Superman that doesn't have struggle to be a good person because, if your senses were so strong that you could perceive the inherent beauty and fragility of life how could you be anything but?

Don't get me wrong, it would be boring if that was every story. But it's nice that this one exists.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Calico Heart posted:

I’ve seen this movie a few times and slow moving rock is always a milk-out-the-nose shock laugh

Especially since in the cartoon, even mook-level earthbenders can throw this around,

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Pick posted:

I would actually say Fleischer's Lois Lane is such a great domineering hardass that if Superman didn't save her, physically, time to time they might as well have titled each short "Superpegged"

They found co-creator Joe Shuster's private sketchbooks after he died. :nws:You're not far off the mark.:nws:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the_steve posted:

That's because Hitler was so toxic that he basically gave off an Aura of Pollution.

It's actually kinda this; Hate is considered the pollution of the Heart, given it's the ring's opposite to make Captain Pollution.

Also makes Captain Planet and Captain Pollution interesting, since they're basically made of each others' Kryptonite.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like the justice League cartoon handles it as his story is he is so powerful that a government agency forms specifically to try and check him. While the organization is bad their fear is treated as legitimate and Superman has to figure out if he is capable of becoming a problem

Green Arrow flat out points this out that the government would be crazy not to have a countermeasure against them, since there's a big theme that a fully realised Justice League is basically a global superpower. The Legion of Doom in the late arcs is specifically set up because the villains need a counterpart, as they can't effectively operate solo anymore.

It's also a bit of a theme in Young Justice where Superman is worried about the Justice League getting too many members, since it might invite escalation from the supervillains. (Little does he know, they're way ahead of him)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not exactly on-topic, but I just learned about the time Harvey Weinstein told Miyazaki that they were going to have to make some edits to Princess Mononoke and so Miyazaki's producer sent Weinstein a katana with a warning not to make any cuts.

I suppose "threatening Harvey Weinstein" is an example of something that aged pretty well.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

christmas boots posted:

Not exactly on-topic, but I just learned about the time Harvey Weinstein told Miyazaki that they were going to have to make some edits to Princess Mononoke and so Miyazaki's producer sent Weinstein a katana with a warning not to make any cuts.

I suppose "threatening Harvey Weinstein" is an example of something that aged pretty well.

That's horrible.

He should have gone there in person with the katana and actually used it on him.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

christmas boots posted:

When Miyazaki was later asked about this incident in an interview all he did was smile and say "I defeated him."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I decided to be all nostalgic and watch some House, and went for the "top episodes" of season 1/2 and came to the startling realization there are zero good House episodes and the entire show is embarrassingly bad.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pick posted:

I decided to be all nostalgic and watch some House, and went for the "top episodes" of season 1/2 and came to the startling realization there are zero good House episodes and the entire show is embarrassingly bad.

Incorrect. The two parter where he gets in a bus wreck and fantasizes about Lisa Edelstein doing a pole dance for him are fantastic :pervert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shrecknet posted:

Incorrect. The two parter where he gets in a bus wreck and fantasizes about Lisa Edelstein doing a pole dance for him are fantastic :pervert:

I need to watch that episode again.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Everything with cutthroat bitch was pretty good.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Volcott posted:

Everything with cutthroat bitch was pretty good.

glad to hear it, my mom has been asking after you lately!!!!!!!!!

wait no

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pick posted:

House was like the millennial equivalent of JAG.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

House strikes me as much more Gen X hip than Millennial hip. Millennial JAG would have to be something that started as a streaming show.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Three Stories is good, at least last time I cared enough to rewatch it, and cutthroat bitch was fun. Other than that it should have stopped at maybe three seasons just like basically everything else.

House vs God was always a favorite but there was no way for it to age well, either smug rear end in a top hat House gets to feel right about being a smug atheist, or smug preacher kid gets to be smug about God stuff, so I don't really want to watch it again

content: PYF MASH episode, none have aged well but mine is anything with Col Flagg

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best part of House is that one scene where he gets a new cane and him walking in with it is shown through a series of very dramatic angles, zooms, and camera movements because it's got flames on the side which he says "make it look really I'm going really fast"

Aside from that bit it was a pretty bad show.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I binged re-watched House out of morbid curiosity from that tweet that parodied the show.
(I gave up years ago around season three.)

The guitar stick only happened once and no butt worms, but I think that came from a rather dark episode where a guy ended up with syphilis because his dad abused him as a kid.

That was backed by an absurd plotline where his foster parents cover this up with the caim his dad ran off to the circus to become a clown, so that guy tries to follow in his footsteps.

The episode cold opens with him being beaned in the balls by a kid at a party - this is later replayed with a dramatic medical zoom into his nuts.

However the show really goes sour with this opening title :
Executive producer : Bryan Singer.
The episode he directs gets really unsettling if you've seen "an open secret."

Other random amusements are the show rotating out it's cast pretty regularly so you end up with none of the actors in the opening credits actually appearing in the show.

There seemed to be a whole thread in the early seasons about STIs being terrifying.
Complete with HIV panic as Cameron melts down over the possibility she might be infected. Made only sillier because proper PPE gear obscures stars faces.

I did like the little meta joke where Cuddy mentions House antagonises her for special requests 26 times a year.

The Cuddy/House relationship is such an unhealthy thing to watch, it's sort of mesmerising.
The whole show is a study on abusive relationships, it could almost work if we weren't being told to accept this.

And yeah there's very little redeeming about it. The novelty of a cranky doctor / antagonist really wears out after about three seasons. It cookie cutters the script that I can imagine the writers having script templates that they write while googling obscure medical issues that only work if you don't give people basic blood screens.

House actually mellows a fair bit.
But is layered in plot armour of "why isn't he fired? - He saves people" with Cuddy mentioning she's set up a slush fund to cover lawsuits.

And then it gets dumber, such as House installing a remotely activated lifting wall between his and Wilson's office and yeah the show falling into a weird parody.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
More mouse bites!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Admittedly, I think shows were ok being more formulaic before streaming became common. That's the one area where I'll kind of defend it. Because you'd usually only be watching it once a week, and there'd be other TV with a different formula (for whatever formulaic thing that other show was) in-between whenever you'd be watching House. But it makes it really conspicuous now, yea, almost comical!

House's level of casual racism/sexism is mind-boggling but it does suggest we've made some progress, because even for an rear end in a top hat character it is SO beyond the pale.

the level of abuse in everyone's abusive relationships is ................. magical

house breaks into his wife's therapist's office to read her file? nbd
house is high on the job multiple times? nbd (not even vicodin! once it's LSD!)
house drives his car through cuddy's house? naughty house
wilson spikes house w/ drugs
house gets back at him by getting him addicted to speed

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So you guys are all saying House sucks, and I haven't watched it since its original run. I remember though, the first few seasons at least everybody loving loved House. Like, everybody. What happened? Why do we all hate it now?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BrainDance posted:

So you guys are all saying House sucks, and I haven't watched it since its original run. I remember though, the first few seasons at least everybody loving loved House. Like, everybody. What happened? Why do we all hate it now?

There's nothing wrong with it, I love Hugh Laurie and the rest of the cast. Just caught one episode of it on cable.

It's decent, sort of manipulative but House is manipulative.

The whole arc with David Morse finding out House is loving stoned off his rear end all the time.

That was decent.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BrainDance posted:

Pissing on once/currently popular things makes you seem enlightened when posting with your friends online.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BrainDance posted:

From season 2 on it endlessly toyed with the idea that House was somehow going to face consequences for what he does and then nothing happens or he's saved at the last second by people lying for him.

It got real tiring when it was clear everything would always go back to the status quo no matter the stakes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There's nothing wrong with it, I love Hugh Laurie and the rest of the cast. Just caught one episode of it on cable.

It's decent, sort of manipulative but House is manipulative.

The whole arc with David Morse finding out House is loving stoned off his rear end all the time.

That was decent.

I’m watching that arc right now! I was never a fan of their Mandatory Seasonal Villain Arcs but that one was pretty good. Could have stood to be a bit shorter though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BrainDance posted:

in the spirit of the thread, it's just aged poorly - it's hard to go back to and rewatch, in particular house's humour relied on getting on people's nerves by pushing the envelope so far that he might get fired over a stray comment

that'd be at least one facet where time has been unkind

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

in the spirit of the thread, it's just aged poorly - it's hard to go back to and rewatch, in particular house's humour relied on getting on people's nerves by pushing the envelope so far that he might get fired over a stray comment

that'd be at least one facet where time has been unkind

That's honestly the main thing that stands out to me. We clearly have made progress, because "edgy" House is now unbelievably racist/ableist/sexist house. Just, ... that's not where the edge is any more. There's an episode where he's dealing with a patient with dwarfism and he talks about how he'd like to gently caress her and spin her around. to her. to her face.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

That's honestly the main thing that stands out to me. We clearly have made progress, because "edgy" House is now unbelievably racist/ableist/sexist house. Just, ... that's not where the edge is any more. There's an episode where he's dealing with a patient with dwarfism and he talks about how he'd like to gently caress her and spin her around. to her. to her face.

Yeah that rings true

House is such an unbelievably crippled character he can't empathize with anyone but that's what makes him him

One of those main protagonist characters you despise

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the thing is that House had the ingredients for a prestige television drama but used them to just make a formulaic hospital show that feels edgy and cool because the doctor is a drug addicted crazy rear end in a top hat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The recipe for prestige television its just really different now.

However, Hugh Laurie still does an amazing job.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

Three Stories is good, at least last time I cared enough to rewatch it, and cutthroat bitch was fun. Other than that it should have stopped at maybe three seasons just like basically everything else.

House vs God was always a favorite but there was no way for it to age well, either smug rear end in a top hat House gets to feel right about being a smug atheist, or smug preacher kid gets to be smug about God stuff, so I don't really want to watch it again

content: PYF MASH episode, none have aged well but mine is anything with Col Flagg

It may not age well, but the parts where they’re actually semi-serious about war, death, and working in a deployed combat hospital dragged me straight back to the hospital I worked for in Afghanistan. Some parts of that show hit so close to home that I was feeling personally called out.

its because the army doesn’t really change, but that’s a conversation for the GiP Military Idiots thread

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Dr. Who episode about how we should praise Amazon aged really poorly really quickly.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't watched any Doctor Who since the story arc centered around Maisie Williams doing a bunch of extremely wooden acting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alhazred posted:

The Dr. Who episode about how we should praise Amazon aged really poorly really quickly.

If it's the one I think (Kerblam), it was a really clumsily-delivered but not-terrible ideal, that was let down really hard by that clumsy, indirect delivery.

Literally the entire story demonstrates that the company is really, really awful, but that none of the people we meet (in a story that really doesn't go far up the chain) are bad people. The guy trying to bring down the company isn't a bad guy either, and nobody really disagrees with what he's attacking them for (they became basically the only employer on the planet, and then automated away most of their workforce so everyone's poor), his problem is that his plan loving sucks; his idea for how to hurt the company and force them to reconsider their practices is to mass-murder their customers by replacing their orders with explosives. Then the Doctor fixes his lovely plan, instead having his explosives blow up the actual distribution center with no casualties, and the end of the story has the problem get solved, and the company starts moving to employ humans for all its work.

That entire story, as I described it, I think is pretty agreeable! The problem is that all the things I just described are extremely understated, while they instead overstated the actual 'Space Amazon' setting, the convenience of the actual service itself, and the sympathetic employees. They said the quiet parts loud, and the loud parts quiet, and it all came out sounding wrong.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:08 on May 28, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

That entire story, as I described it, I think is pretty agreeable! The problem is that all the things I just described are extremely understated, while they instead overstated the actual 'Space Amazon' setting, the convenience of the actual service itself, and the sympathetic employees. They said the quiet parts loud, and the loud parts quiet, and it all came out sounding wrong.

Nah, the problem is that the solution they presented was basically "at least slavery is better than destitution!" The episode seemed like it was trying to say that unfettered capitalism is bad but then got rewritten to say that actually automation is the problem. They never get around to addressing the fact that a single company being the only employer on an entire planet makes it functionally a dictatorship, which seems like it was the issue the Doctor should have been there to deal with.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pick posted:

I remember there being an episode with a girl who later turned out to have a Y chromosome and androgen insensitivity. House's approach of saying that this girl is therefore now a he is predictably dated, but on top of that the girl was introduced as a teenage model and he spent the first half of the episode going on about how attractive this 15-year-old is. To her face.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Especially since in the cartoon, even mook-level earthbenders can throw this around,

The marching dudes aren't throwing that tiny rock. They raise a wall to block a lovely little slow flame blast - they're just dancing around for no reason. The little rock is some guy off screen preparing a throw. The throw is also lovely, little, and slow. It's just impossible to follow because the camera is lazily bobbing backwards, so you see the rocks before you see the person bending them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR2kbOK8i6I

Pretty much everything in the scene is awful. It's trying to be one of those stylish single-take fight scenes, but the camera is just slowly floating aroung, the blocking makes no sense so peoople have to keep running into frame,there's only ever one "thing" happening at once, so half the actors are standing around dithering on the spot.

It really annoys me that they change bending from "kung fu" to "magic spells". In the cartoon every move a person makes corresponds to something with whatever element they're bending. In the film people just prance about doing moves, stop, and then something happens.

It's almost like giving a big action fantasy romp to a guy who mostly made movies of people standing around talking was a really dumb idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Tiggum posted:

Nah, the problem is that the solution they presented was basically "at least slavery is better than destitution!" The episode seemed like it was trying to say that unfettered capitalism is bad but then got rewritten to say that actually automation is the problem. They never get around to addressing the fact that a single company being the only employer on an entire planet makes it functionally a dictatorship, which seems like it was the issue the Doctor should have been there to deal with.

I got whiplash from double-taking my TV when that last scene played out.
It was so against the rest of the episode that I believe Amazon kidnapped the writer's children and forced him to change the last page of the script (or, offered him his own Amazon-exclusive scriptwriter deal: I don't know their negotating tactics).

And talking about aging poorly: at the time of broadcasting, Amazon was all over the British press about how they didn't pay their taxes.