Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Buttcoin purse posted:

gently caress, I'm white and I think after a few minutes of cops pointing guns at me I'd be asking them to just shoot me and put me out of my misery because I can't stand the suspense of not knowing how this is going to end. What do they even want? Are they just waiting for an excuse to shoot?

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law-reform/reforming-police/youre-hosed-acquittal-officer-brailsford-and-crisis

If you want to watch a white person beg for their life and crawl on the ground while hysterically crying only to get shot to death anyway, look up the Daniel Shaver shooting.

Definitely NMS.

Basically, yes, they’re standing by waiting for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Internet Wizard posted:

My heart goes out to anybody who feels the need to loot an Aldi. I’ve done my fair share of shopping at one and it’s not where I’d choose to go

I kind of wish there was an Aldi near me. I've never been to one.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Buttcoin purse posted:

gently caress, I'm white and I think after a few minutes of cops pointing guns at me I'd be asking them to just shoot me and put me out of my misery because I can't stand the suspense of not knowing how this is going to end. What do they even want? Are they just waiting for an excuse to shoot?

e: I get that because I'm white it'll probably never happen to me though.

Exactly that yes

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ded posted:

I kind of wish there was an Aldi near me. I've never been to one.

It's the only place I've ever shopped that held a quarter (25¢) hostage for their shopping cart.

Good bread though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's the only place I've ever shopped that held a quarter (25¢) hostage for their shopping cart.

Good bread though.

The shopping cart deposit is so you’ll bring it back to the cart area instead of being a lazy shitfucker and leave it in the middle of the parking lot where it can roll into cars though it also means they don’t have to pay a worker to be a full time cart collector. It kind of sucks if you don’t have change but I can count the number of abandoned Aldi carts I’ve seen getting blown around their parking lots on one finger.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Buttcoin purse posted:

e: I get that because I'm white it'll probably never happen to me though.

Don't know the background or have any information besides the video, but it's likely they were either waiting for a supervisor, or someone with a taser (not all officers carry them), or just more officers. They approach suspects in teams of four or more - one officer with a taser, another with a lethal weapon (rifle or pistol), one with his cuffs out, and one with nothing in his hands ready to assist the officer with the cuffs.

This tactic can be seen dozens of times across all kinds of police videos on YouTube (bodycam or otherwise).

The people interfering is completely understandable from their point of view, but all they're doing is hurting more than helping. The sooner the guy is apprehended peacefully, the better. Unfortunately there are horrendously bad cops out there that kill innocents who did nothing wrong and complied, so people get involved because they're scared for their loved ones.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, I'm not bitching about it. It makes perfect sense. But I also return my carts to collection sites anyhow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Don't know the background or have any information besides the video, but it's likely they were either waiting for a supervisor, or someone with a taser (not all officers carry them), or just more officers. They approach suspects in teams of four or more - one officer with a taser, another with a lethal weapon (rifle or pistol), one with his cuffs out, and one with nothing in his hands ready to assist the officer with the cuffs.

This tactic can be seen dozens of times across all kinds of police videos on YouTube (bodycam or otherwise).

The people interfering is completely understandable from their point of view, but all they're doing is hurting more than helping. The sooner the guy is apprehended peacefully, the better. Unfortunately there are horrendously bad cops out there that kill innocents who did nothing wrong and complied, so people get involved because they're scared for their loved ones.

They get involved because our justice system justifies murdering blacks. This much force for rolling a stop sign is laughable.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

They get involved because our justice system justifies murdering blacks. This much force for rolling a stop sign is laughable.

Does anyone have a news article about it?

Chances of a felony stop procedure like that playing out because of just a stop sign is laughable. It may very well have happened, but around here you only do it for someone who has led you on a chase, or they have a warrant and/or it's confirmed they're armed.

It very well could be some poo poo podunk PD doing it on a whim. Don't know the full story.

Bottom line though whoever knocked over grandma needs to be fired.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It sure seems like a whole lot of problems would go away if police just weren't issued guns in the first place.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Chances of a felony stop procedure like that playing out because of just a stop sign is laughable. It may very well have happened, but around here you only do it for someone who has led you on a chase, or they have a warrant and/or it's confirmed they're armed.

It very well could be some poo poo podunk PD doing it on a whim. Don't know the full story.

A 21 year old black man making irrational decisions when the cops are behind him?

Better train half a dozen barrels on him until he makes another irrational decision.

That entire situation is set up for a bad outcome, not a good outcome.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 28, 2020

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

It's Texas. It was because he was black.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It's Texas. It was because he was black.

Where I used to live and used to work, if you did that for a normal traffic stop, you'd be written up and probably suspended for at least some days, without pay. We had to write a use of force report whenever we took out our handcuffs, much less a gun, and whenever we had to place our hands on someone (even if nothing happened and the suspect was completely cooperative, or even if it was for CPR/AED). That's the way it should be nationwide. And there needs to be mandatory reporting to the DOJ for it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Twitter follows on the Minneapolis protests in pictures from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

https://twitter.com/ADLavinsky

https://twitter.com/CarlosGphoto

https://twitter.com/MDVancleave

Example: https://twitter.com/ADLavinsky/status/1265832645478559746

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

It's systemic racism you absolute shitfuck. You scumfuck absolute dogshit excuse of a human.

eta: your tepid bootlicking and excusing racism is on par with your misogyny and attempts to tiptoe the line when it comes to rules following. gently caress off you rancorous shitwaste.

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 28, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

It's systemic racism you absolute shitfuck. You scumfuck absolute dogshit excuse of a human.

Thanks, I hope you're doing great too.

Edit: maybe take a break from the internet man. I can understand your frustration. All I was trying to do was answer someone's question, and I figured as a former LEO I could provide an answer.

Try to have a good night. Go smoke something.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 28, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pretty happy with the degree of mask wear compliance I'm seeing with these rioters tbh

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Really hoping no Atomwaffen or other accelerationist neo-Nazis decide now is the time to try and spark rahowa. poo poo is bad enough.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1265857930693275654?s=20

Also confirmed lethal shooting. From earlier tweets sounds like someone tried to loot a pawn store and got popped from the owner.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Alaan posted:

Also confirmed lethal shooting. From earlier tweets sounds like someone tried to loot a pawn store and got popped from the owner.

Oh poo poo was it Michael Douglas?

E: oh wait, he robbed a milsurp store in Falling Down. My bad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is why you pick corporate stores over family-owned small businesses

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Woofer posted:

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law-reform/reforming-police/youre-hosed-acquittal-officer-brailsford-and-crisis

If you want to watch a white person beg for their life and crawl on the ground while hysterically crying only to get shot to death anyway, look up the Daniel Shaver shooting.

Definitely NMS.

It'd be nice if this made white people go "hey why did this happen, maybe something should be done about it", but I'll bet that didn't happen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Woofer posted:

Definitely NMS.

"Groundhog Day for a Black Man": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEMIUy_ySA4

For once, the comments are disturbing simply because there are people saying "it would've been funny if" instead of "this shouldn't be funny at all."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 28, 2020

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
:sigh:

So forgive me for inhabiting bizarro-world, but I'm absolutely baffled by the dominate narrative about how the protests evolved into a riot. My apparently unique read on events is that the MPD left the precinct and now other sites completely undefended in a deliberate invitation to the more uninhibited protesters to cause a little damage and thus justify massively disproportionate police escalation that further inflames tensions. They've since reworked the tactic several times to ensure continued escalation.

Why? Because the shift to a riot allows the police to control the broader narrative. They're betting that Jane Schmo might have watched the video of the police murder of George Floyd and said, "That could have been me/my neighbor/my coworker/etc., we need police accountability," but is now being hammered with news about poo poo burning and thinking "That could be affect me/my neighbor/my coworker/etc., maybe I'll just accept the bad system because this chaos is a more imminent threat."

What am I missing? Are we just hoping that the former thought will still win out over the latter? 'cause I'm worried peoples' brains don't work that way.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
What no. LA feed has been very peaceful. I haven't kept up with narrative because I have to watch a police scanner man on twitch doing dabs right before the paddy wagon. Cops are scared, they sound stressed on their radio.

Miniapolis does look hella thunderdome. The chainsaw pic floating around is from the FD, not a mad max cosplayer. Yes the Autozone is burnt. People in LA are like... there are 2/3 intersections down town where folks have laid down in the middle of the intersection.

Which is hella ballsy because police just ran over a bunch of folks when this poo poo kicked off at 6/7:00pm. Like that dude does not look alive, real heather hyre poo poo.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I don't think there is 10 dimension chess behind the looting. The cops got super outmanned. There's only so much you can do over so much space short of a staggering bloodbath. Where you end bricked to death after getting a mag off.

And most of these protests are a mix of peaceful protesters, people venting years and decades of frustration, and opportunists. It's not a monolithic entity. I'm sure a lot of people there are loving pissed AutoZone burned down and their aldi is getting looted. But some people showed up just to do that. Some people thought they deserved it after everything they've been through. No police cunning plan nonsense necessary.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm fine with the looting of big corporate stores. Fuckers just spent the past two months milking tax dollars off the government to "stay afloat" while cutting employees and now wages. Call it what you want, but "deserved" comes to mind.

Want to see a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on fire sometime tonight.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Wow poo poo really is popping off

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been staring at parascopes of miniapolis being on fire for the past 3 hours. No one has come to put water in them.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Wow poo poo really is popping off

Lucky Mud (@dreadpiratejene) Tweeted:
Condensed: MPD has completely lost control of the city and looting is headed to more affluent areas. Like Calhoun square. Still core group at precinct, fires and looting are happening all over a large radius around 3rd precinct #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd https://twitter.com/dreadpiratejene/status/1265892678375550977?s=20

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Fires EVERYWHERE.
https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1265897080947650561?s=20

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

May 27, 2020 was the day the revolution started.

Holy poo poo.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
In the 92 LA Riots nobody came to put water on the fire. They decided to let it burn.

It keeps happening.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/HamptonThink/status/1265841732140167169?s=20

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KirbyKhan posted:

In the 92 LA Riots nobody came to put water on the fire. They decided to let it burn.

It keeps happening.

Wanna wanna let it burn

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's been almost a decade since Trayvon Martin and nothing has changed, can't blame em for setting poo poo on fire

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Cugel the Clever posted:

:sigh:

What am I missing? Are we just hoping that the former thought will still win out over the latter? 'cause I'm worried peoples' brains don't work that way.

In the Minneapolis case, everything going on right now is just a result of the police department being dumb and bad. The kickoff event, an obvious police murder, started the protests. The MPD then had a choice on how to respond, as best as I can tell, the protests two days ago were essentially peaceful. The MPD decided to go the RESPECT MY AUTHORITY route of dramatic escalation and let the rubber bullets and tear gas fly. Sort of what the Ferguson police department decided to do years ago - gently caress YEAH WE GET TO BUST OUT THE MRAPS! Typical bad police department poo poo - the correct and only good move was deescalation instead of blasting and gassing anything that moves.

So as it turns out, when people are protesting against police brutality, feeding those people more police brutality accelerates things rapidly and gets you a lot more protestors (and rioters) on the streets! This whole thing is really a classic case of a police riot. Now, the MPD is dramatically outnumbered because of their previous stupid actions, rather than anything pre-planned. The MPD isnt really chosing to let stuff burn out of negligence - their previous fuckup in failing to deescalate guaranteed that they wouldn't have enough people to deal with what's going on now.

As a bonus, I've also seen some stuff from politicians in the St. Paul area basically demanding that the St. Paul PD not be used to assist the Minneapolis PD.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
There's like 7 different angles I saw of a burning apartment building. I know proceedure is to wait for the scene to be secure, but that poo poo was secure for FD. When you are a city and a building is on fire you HAVE TO put water on the fire. It is a requirement for civilization. It is not a priviliage, it's not a resource, it is what a city has to do whether it starts from a ciggarrette, an electric blanket, or god damned godzilla. You don't just let it burn.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

facialimpediment posted:

In the Minneapolis case, everything going on right now is just a result of the police department being dumb and bad.
See, I don't buy this and I'm very worried that folks are confusing "racist shitbags" with "incompetent idiots" when it comes to the people people calling the shots in the MPD. They're betting that the chaos that is unfolding is going to push a huge number of residents who hadn't previously given much thought to either side decisively over to supporting a crackdown.

The city PD isn't exactly green when it comes to handling protests. There's been multiple police crimes in the last decade that have prompted massive protests that have been, in turn, met with a massive, but relatively subdued response. All that previously demonstrated capability to respond to a protest mysteriously vanished and was replaced with an approach that has sparked a massive blowup in a way that the department and its allies might exploit to make the case for a heavy-handed department free from political interference from the city's elected representatives.

I mean, they left the precinct in the district completely undefended and with high-value targets just sitting in the open, but happened to swoop in with overwhelming force once they had their pretext of people breaking a few things. I'd like it to be incompetence, but I fear it's a deliberate strategy by profoundly bad people pulling the strings at the department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I really think a lot of the "elite" in this country have lived for a long time believing a number of false suppositions. And by "elite" I don't mean the people who make a lot of money and have nice homes. I mean the ones who make laws, and others who don't but whose whose wealth is nearly incomprehensible; some of whom who make policy directly, and some who greatly influence policy.

One of those false suppositions is that America is different, we don't have mass riots or revolutions here. "Can't happen here" is a good way to sum it up. It cannot happen in America! We are the best!!!

But we have been edging closer and closer to it for a while now. A couple of heinous crimes perpetrated by police (and civilians in one case) against people of color has touched off what happened tonight, only a couple that were videoed, out of all the ones that happen constantly every day, for decades, most of them without any media coverage or nationwide awareness at all.

The president of the United States isn't at all worried about this, or about the 100,000 dead due to Covid-19 (and I predict very soon to be 200,000 dead, and there really is no predictable ceiling). He is more worried about his Twitter account getting fact-checked, to the point that tomorrow he will issue an impotent Executive Order, designed to combat being "censored". I predict he will also step on his own cock on Twitter tomorrow, regarding the riots, and many of his GOP enablers will march in lockstep with him.

How did we get here? With this particular smegma that currently holds the office? Well, he had no legislative history, he was never a senator or congressman or governor or mayor. He was always just a giant mouth that constantly talked about what a great mouth it was, and because of this, he was a blank slate that people could see anything they wanted to see in.

When he said something they liked, they could say HELL YEAH and if he then said something they thought was insane, they could say well, Trump is not a politician, but THAT'S WHY WE NEED HIM IN THERE! BECAUSE HE WILL CLEAN IT UP AND DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Nobody ever even thought about what "drain the swamp" even meant.

And one of the positions/attitudes that a LOT of Americans saw, that they liked, was the blatant, unapologetic racism. He has proven this over and over and a large part of the GOP has gone along for the ride, terrified to defy him, terrified that he might say mean things about them on Twitter and unleash his "base" on them. And a smaller part of the GOP is all-in with it. Really, it doesn't matter which is which, they are all complicit.

As it turns out, "drain the swamp" in practice has consisted of grift, thievery, yet more tax cuts for the rich, environmental destruction, loss of even more ground and time vs climate change, denigration of the concept and practitioners of science, denigration of those whose job it is to report what is going on in the world and in the country, completely inept response to a global pandemic, and insistence that "human capital stock" get back to work to make NUMBER GO UP SO ME GET REELECTED.

A good friend of mine said to me a long time ago, "I think America is on its way to being a third-world country", and at the time, I thought this was completely insane. How could it be?!?

Well, I think I know now, I think she was right. Anybody that thinks the USA can't experience mass riots, far beyond the control of all police forces, cars turned over in the streets and poo poo on fire, and "elites" being strung up from loving lampposts, better think again. It absolutely can happen here. And it draws closer and closer every day. Wait and see, motherfuckers.