Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Madame Razz got the short end of the stick in season 5. I felt like she was going to play a larger role, but straight up vanished except for one scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Madame Razz got the short end of the stick in season 5. I felt like she was going to play a larger role, but straight up vanished except for one scene.

History's Greatest Monster and his squad got the same treatment. I understand it though, they had a lot of ground to cover and not a lot of room for side trips.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yeah ok this roiled around in my head all week until I broke down and dashed this out just because I couldn't not.

How hard did you have to restrain yourself to keep from putting her in a catsuit? :v: Or whatever you'd call the spacesuits they were wearing.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

RareAcumen posted:

How hard did you have to restrain yourself to keep from putting her in a catsuit? :v: Or whatever you'd call the spacesuits they were wearing.

Not too hard, since I was going for She-Ra and Cat-Ra. ;)

Technowolf posted:

Excellent, my good sir

Thanks!

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I liked how Hordak and Shadow Weaver did the full Darth Vader thing between them: snapping and throwing the true villain into a pit, and sacrificing themself to save their (surrogate) kid respectively.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Asgerd posted:

I liked how Hordak and Shadow Weaver did the full Darth Vader thing between them: snapping and throwing the true villain into a pit, and sacrificing themself to save their (surrogate) kid respectively.

There was something pretty powerful about literally dropping her mask where you could finally see her scars. I wouldn't call it a redemption per se, but at least she did something good in her life.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Not too hard, since I was going for She-Ra and Cat-Ra. ;)

Catra-Ra

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chokes McGee posted:

There was something pretty powerful about literally dropping her mask where you could finally see her scars. I wouldn't call it a redemption per se, but at least she did something good in her life.

I realised when she resurfaced halfway through the season that she wasn't making it out of this alive. :smith:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

There was no way she would. She and Horde Prime are the only villains on the show that were never victims themselves, they just victimized others. They don't get redemption for that.

Speaking of which, I saw a really interesting blog post about Hordak's version of how he got trapped on Etheria the other day. Mostly about how it's just straight up wrong. I don't think he was lying but rather that he very much misunderstood his role in Prime's empire. He describes himself as having been a "top general" before his defect caused him to be cast aside as useless. But that's absurd on its face because Prime doesn't have generals. He controls the clones via a hivemind and is the sole decision maker. Hordak only thought he was special to Prime because that's what a cult does. The entire point is to make an individual feel special and needed, even when they're completely expendable. Hordak was probably, at best, one of Prime's personal attendants that stays right by his side and he mistook that for being important to Prime in any way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

There was no way she would. She and Horde Prime are the only villains on the show that were never victims themselves, they just victimized others. They don't get redemption for that.

Speaking of which, I saw a really interesting blog post about Hordak's version of how he got trapped on Etheria the other day. Mostly about how it's just straight up wrong. I don't think he was lying but rather that he very much misunderstood his role in Prime's empire. He describes himself as having been a "top general" before his defect caused him to be cast aside as useless. But that's absurd on its face because Prime doesn't have generals. He controls the clones via a hivemind and is the sole decision maker. Hordak only thought he was special to Prime because that's what a cult does. The entire point is to make an individual feel special and needed, even when they're completely expendable. Hordak was probably, at best, one of Prime's personal attendants that stays right by his side and he mistook that for being important to Prime in any way.

Also a pretty classic symptom of abuse, being convinced that you can work and do something to gain their love and affection.

It seems weird to say "yeah that alien general waging a war of conquest and murder across the planet? Victim of horrific cult abuse doing the only thing he understands" but it's kind of how it shakes out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just finished the series and have a LOT of thoughts and I'm still catching up on the last ten pages.

But right now I'm just going to say that Bow's spacesuit had a little window for his abs. That is all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CuwiKhons posted:

I actually found that quite annoying in Shadow Weaver's case. I find it understandable in Horde Prime's case, because he's only introduced in the final season and there's so much going on that he barely gets any screen time or presence, but Shadow Weaver has been a persistent character since the first episode and there's been a good bit of mention of her past, as well as tying her to every major character in the show and in the end she was just power hungry because she was power hungry; rather than having a deeper reason for wanting power. Which, I'm not even saying it has to be abuse of any kind, but there should be something to her past and to her motives that isn't just "yummy power". It's a very shallow characterization, which is kind of disappointing since she was quite...ambiguous is probably the wrong word, since it's always implied she has sinister motives, but certainly enigmatic in her actions and the way she acted around a lot of people. It's even implied she felt some regret about what happened with Micah, but there's barely any follow up on it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But right now I'm just going to say that Bow's spacesuit had a little window for his abs. That is all.

I love the fact he always has love hearts on his boots a lot more, to be honest.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The_Doctor posted:

I think that episode in series 4 was a good way to "send her out", the baking one.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Someone made a She-Ra dollmaker. I'm still figuring it out, but I want to see your princessonas!

https://meiker.io/play/11592/online.html

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*pokes random button a few times, as is the right and proper way of things*

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Fun!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I wish there were more color choices :sweatdrop:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It's really hard to make a bad one of these.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DONUT STEEL

E: I'm noticing a theme with the hairstyles. Perhaps Adora isn't the only one with hair envy for She-Ra?

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 28, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Didn't pussy out. 5/5

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

tsob posted:

in the end she was just power hungry because she was power hungry
That's how real life's villains are too.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

tsob posted:

I actually found that quite annoying in Shadow Weaver's case. I find it understandable in Horde Prime's case, because he's only introduced in the final season and there's so much going on that he barely gets any screen time or presence, but Shadow Weaver has been a persistent character since the first episode and there's been a good bit of mention of her past, as well as tying her to every major character in the show and in the end she was just power hungry because she was power hungry; rather than having a deeper reason for wanting power. Which, I'm not even saying it has to be abuse of any kind, but there should be something to her past and to her motives that isn't just "yummy power". It's a very shallow characterization, which is kind of disappointing since she was quite...ambiguous is probably the wrong word, since it's always implied she has sinister motives, but certainly enigmatic in her actions and the way she acted around a lot of people. It's even implied she felt some regret about what happened with Micah, but there's barely any follow up on it.

I love the fact he always has love hearts on his boots a lot more, to be honest.

I dunno, I liked it. Sometimes an abusive narcissist parent is because they're a terrible person, not because they had some kind of dark past. And even if she did felt some regret about Micah, it'll never get followed up because Micah himself made the decision to not have Shadow Weaver in his life anymore. Just because your abuser says they're sorry doesn't make you obligated to welcome them back or anything, and I like that they included that message in She-Ra.

Also here's my random result in that website, and they look like an absolute disaster. :allears:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

tsob posted:

Eh, I'm fine with Shadow Weaver being a villain for the sake of being a power hungry monster. There were enough villains in She-Ra who got sympathetic backstories and understandable character motivations. Sometimes a character is an rear end in a top hat just because it's in their nature to be an rear end in a top hat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Has there even been anger about S5 among the usual suspects? I remember the kerfuffle when S1 came out but now all I'm seeing on the internet is a lot of love (and some disagreement on how well some of the arcs were executed).

Which is pretty :3:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I appreciate that they made it clear that, while Shadow Weaver believes that she's the hero of her own story and that everything she did was justified, the narrative doesn't let her off the hook for any of it. Good message for the kids - and the grownups, for that matter.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MonsieurChoc posted:

Has there even been anger about S5 among the usual suspects? I remember the kerfuffle when S1 came out but now all I'm seeing on the internet is a lot of love (and some disagreement on how well some of the arcs were executed).

The usual suspects didn't watch the show. Their anger is performative, not real.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

The worst I've seen is when Netflix was tweeting announcements for the show and some people in the comments were saying "who cares about She-Ra, where's [show I want to watch]" but I'm pretty sure those people come out for every single announcement.

Edit - There's an article out about Noelle responding to the fan theory that Bow is trans. Noelle's response is quite good, I think. The TL;DR is that she didn't intend for him to be trans or she would have hired a trans voice actor for him, but she likes the theory and is glad people can read the character that way. She doesn't want to canonize it though because that feels like claiming representation after the fact, ala JKR.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 28, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

The worst I've seen is when Netflix was tweeting announcements for the show and some people in the comments were saying "who cares about She-Ra, where's [show I want to watch]" but I'm pretty sure those people come out for every single announcement.

Edit - There's an article out about Noelle responding to the fan theory that Bow is trans. Noelle's response is quite good, I think. The TL;DR is that she didn't intend for him to be trans or she would have hired a trans voice actor for him, but she likes the theory and is glad people can read the character that way. She doesn't want to canonize it though because that feels like claiming representation after the fact, ala JKR.

I love the dig at JKR, not gonna lie.

Give us a movie where they fight some Horde Prime remnant and save Angella. While going full Heavy Metal.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah I want to see the Saving Angella movie

#SixSeasonsAndAMovie

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I love the dig at JKR, not gonna lie.

Give us a movie where they fight some Horde Prime remnant and save Angella. While going full Heavy Metal.

maybe... maybe not full Heavy Metal. :stonk:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

It's your one-way ticket to midnight.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Madurai posted:

It's your one-way ticket to midnight.

Sternnra

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"Nowwww Scorpia, take it easy, I'm sure we can---"

"I HUG HIM"

*pulled out of courtroom by Emily*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Well, you know, the cool sci-fi aesthetic and rocking music, not the... other stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
you know what'd be a fun little audio-only sort of episode? The Princesses and others doing an RPG ("strategy") session led by Adora.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Is this show good? Someone pitch it to me. I'm running out of things to binge in our isolated hell-world.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Skippy McPants posted:

Is this show good? Someone pitch it to me. I'm running out of things to binge in our isolated hell-world.

Every episode is a continuous unfolding emotional pipeline with a fantasy plot of the day to break up the core that is The Very Gay Adventures of Adora. Lots of fun but very twee, contains a lot of chatting about feelings. Its basically (mostly) healthy well adjusted heros versus the villains which are all damaged in very true to life ways which is the core of their failings.

Basically make a cartoon supervillain named Estranged Parent and thats shadowweaver. That's the show.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

The single gayest cartoon you've ever seen.

Also a lot of children dealing with the consequences of abusive parental figures, plus cults, technomagic, the occasional song, and a marxist horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of gay cartoons I’d really like to read a good write up of SPOP vs Steven Universe, particularly how they both ultimately handle villains and redemption.