Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

There's like 7 different angles I saw of a burning apartment building. I know proceedure is to wait for the scene to be secure, but that poo poo was secure for FD. When you are a city and a building is on fire you HAVE TO put water on the fire. It is a requirement for civilization. It is not a priviliage, it's not a resource, it is what a city has to do whether it starts from a ciggarrette, an electric blanket, or god damned godzilla. You don't just let it burn.

Some boots on the ground said it was still under construction and therefore unoccupied - might be why FD didn't respond, especially given other fires in the area like the AutoZone, delicious chemicals in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

MrMojok posted:

I really think a lot of the "elite" in this country have lived for a long time believing a number of false suppositions. And by "elite" I don't mean the people who make a lot of money and have nice homes. I mean the ones who make laws, and others who don't but whose whose wealth is nearly incomprehensible; some of whom who make policy directly, and some who greatly influence policy.

One of those false suppositions is that America is different, we don't have mass riots or revolutions here. "Can't happen here" is a good way to sum it up. It cannot happen in America! We are the best!!!

But we have been edging closer and closer to it for a while now. A couple of heinous crimes perpetrated by police (and civilians in one case) against people of color has touched off what happened tonight, only a couple that were videoed, out of all the ones that happen constantly every day, for decades, most of them without any media coverage or nationwide awareness at all.

The president of the United States isn't at all worried about this, or about the 100,000 dead due to Covid-19 (and I predict very soon to be 200,000 dead, and there really is no predictable ceiling). He is more worried about his Twitter account getting fact-checked, to the point that tomorrow he will issue an impotent Executive Order, designed to combat being "censored". I predict he will also step on his own cock on Twitter tomorrow, regarding the riots, and many of his GOP enablers will march in lockstep with him.

How did we get here? With this particular smegma that currently holds the office? Well, he had no legislative history, he was never a senator or congressman or governor or mayor. He was always just a giant mouth that constantly talked about what a great mouth it was, and because of this, he was a blank slate that people could see anything they wanted to see in.

When he said something they liked, they could say HELL YEAH and if he then said something they thought was insane, they could say well, Trump is not a politician, but THAT'S WHY WE NEED HIM IN THERE! BECAUSE HE WILL CLEAN IT UP AND DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Nobody ever even thought about what "drain the swamp" even meant.

And one of the positions/attitudes that a LOT of Americans saw, that they liked, was the blatant, unapologetic racism. He has proven this over and over and a large part of the GOP has gone along for the ride, terrified to defy him, terrified that he might say mean things about them on Twitter and unleash his "base" on them. And a smaller part of the GOP is all-in with it. Really, it doesn't matter which is which, they are all complicit.

As it turns out, "drain the swamp" in practice has consisted of grift, thievery, yet more tax cuts for the rich, environmental destruction, loss of even more ground and time vs climate change, denigration of the concept and practitioners of science, denigration of those whose job it is to report what is going on in the world and in the country, completely inept response to a global pandemic, and insistence that "human capital stock" get back to work to make NUMBER GO UP SO ME GET REELECTED.

A good friend of mine said to me a long time ago, "I think America is on its way to being a third-world country", and at the time, I thought this was completely insane. How could it be?!?

Well, I think I know now, I think she was right. Anybody that thinks the USA can't experience mass riots, far beyond the control of all police forces, cars turned over in the streets and poo poo on fire, and "elites" being strung up from loving lampposts, better think again. It absolutely can happen here. And it draws closer and closer every day. Wait and see, motherfuckers.
One could argue we have been a very rich third world country for a while. Massive inequality with a huge amount of people living in poverty, an increasingly kleptocratic ruling class, lack of investment in public goods...

We are a nicer Mexico, not a crappier Sweeden.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I didn’t enlist because any type of patriotism. But man does it feel like my time in is getting poo poo on these days or what.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Goddamn that video was so much worse than I was expecting. Something about all the people in the crowd yelling to stop killing him while he just dies is really upsetting. It's almost like being stubborn is the whole point.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It’s about entitlement. America’s greatest problems can all be traced back to entitlement. We think we are better and just deserve things, whatever they may be or however much they may support our murderous egos.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's because conservatives are a death cult and when shown that video grew tumescent hth. The violence is the entire point

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

I kind of wish there was an Aldi near me. I've never been to one.

The experience varies greatly based on where you live.
When I was growing up in a blue collar, racially diverse area of the city I went to the nearest Aldi and it was grim. Dingy, poorly stocked, felt like I was shopping at a food pantry run by people who didn't like you.

A couple years ago, a friend of mine (white, low six figures household income) said that Aldi was actually awesome and I should give it another chance. So I went to one near where I work (not far from the area where I grew up, also blue collar and majority African American) and it was still the dingy land of dented cans and wilted lettuce.

So gently caress Aldi.

And don't tell me that grocery stores are all like that because they aren't. I go to the other stores near where I work all the time and they're just fine.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Stultus Maximus posted:

And don't tell me that grocery stores are all like that because they aren't. I go to the other stores near where I work all the time and they're just fine.
There's a small locally owned chain in the city where I live that has stores in the "bad" neighborhoods and it prides itself on not being lovely. It's never explicit, but the secret to its success is not being dingy and awful, but that's largely because it's family owned with a patriarch who gives a poo poo. The corporate chain has pulled out most of its "urban" stores in the past decade leaving behind lovely Aldis and savealots.

Someone else with a better degree than mine can probably spend hours discussing the vicious cycle of treating people like they are garbage leading to people who internalize that they are garbage leading to a hosed up society.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

stealie72 posted:

Someone else with a better degree than mine can probably spend hours discussing the vicious cycle of treating people like they are garbage leading to people who internalize that they are garbage leading to a hosed up society.

Systemic racism. As someone that isn’t affected by that, but has been heavily influenced by a culture of selfishness and individualism, the system was also built to brainwash white people into not giving a poo poo.

Racism is in all of our roots.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 28, 2020

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Also classism.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Woofer posted:

Systemic racism. As someone that isn’t affected by that, but has been heavily influenced by a culture of selfishness and individualism, the system was also built to brainwash white people into not giving a poo poo.

Racism is in all of our roots.

Even for those who aren't out and proud jackboots, expect to hear a lot of tut tutting about this from the neoliberal crowd. Cmon, yellowstone.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
According to Robert Evans, last night the boogaloo types were on the ground carrying weapons trying to bait the cops into firing at the protestors so that they can then fire back at the police and kick off their civil war. So, yeah, fun times ahead.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's like letting those people take over a federal wildlife refuge without legal consequences emboldened them further or something.
It's like letting those people shut down the Oregon State Senate without legal consequences emboldened them further or something.
It's like letting those people walk armed into the capitol to protest emboldened them further or something.

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 28, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its because they dont want you to experience the fully legal rush of throwing old car batteries into the ocean

Everything sucks and I hate the hellworld we're all living in but it's the little things that still make me chuckle. Thanks for this.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I finally listened to It Could Happen Here last week. The timing feels wild.

stealie72 posted:

One could argue we have been a very rich third world country for a while. Massive inequality with a huge amount of people living in poverty, an increasingly kleptocratic ruling class, lack of investment in public goods...

We are a nicer Mexico, not a crappier Sweeden.

The only difference between the US and a banana republic is scale.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Woofer posted:

I didn’t enlist because any type of patriotism. But man does it feel like my time in is getting poo poo on these days or what.

:same:

I felt pretty awful after my time in anyway, but I keep looking back on it as something more and more heinous.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

kraken! posted:

:same:

I felt pretty awful after my time in anyway, but I keep looking back on it as something more and more heinous.

Same. My thought is a combo of “this is what it’s like to lose a war”, “my friends that were injured, it was all for nothing*”, and “the death cultists have taken over”.

Speaking of death cultists...when “25 spectators” means 2,500 are allowed!

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/rebuild/article243018751.html

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Senator Tim Kaine had the Rona.

https://twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1266018561572646912?s=19

Rand Paul's neighbor continues to have done nothing wrong.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Arven posted:

According to Robert Evans, last night the boogaloo types were on the ground carrying weapons trying to bait the cops into firing at the protestors so that they can then fire back at the police and kick off their civil war. So, yeah, fun times ahead.

So a triangle of fire? Also this is one of the most disturbing parts of the riots so far.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

There is video evidence of know racist asshats trying to get in with the protesters

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Woofer posted:

Think about your time in as valuable to those you served with, not the people of this godforsaken shithole or any of the ungrateful politicians that gladhand vet orgs for photo ops.

Because in the end, nothing matters and we're all going to die anyhow. Best you can do sometimes is think about how maybe you helped someone along the way. It might be hard to look back on now, but there's inherent good in the small communities we all traipsed through in the service. It's all about perspective.

Of course there's a bunch of fuckos out there that are going to ruin it, there always have been, but we've also been rolling in that gladhand troop praise for years and it's not something we should celebrate, but that doesn't mean we should be overlooked, or overlooking, what's going on in the country now.

This country needs to burn for a while, show our problems naked in the flames. Nothing is going to improve until the majority are feeling the pain, all we can do is watch and say, "I told you so" when it's all over.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Anyone else notice that Trump retweeted a video from "Real Cowboys" this morning that explicitly said "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265855459719892993?s=20

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

facialimpediment posted:

Senator Tim Kaine had the Rona.

https://twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1266018561572646912?s=19

Rand Paul's neighbor continues to have done nothing wrong.

Yeah he did. He only did it once.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's because conservatives are a death cult and when shown that video grew tumescent hth. The violence is the entire point

I support any and all actions to disenfranchise and marginalize the hicks in this country. I used to care about my country as a whole but now I honestly could not give two shits about what happens to the yokels.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/ClaraJeffery/status/1266015676788965376

Just a few bad apples led by and protected by a bad apple.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
loving KILLS me that the only decent union left in the US exists for the benefit of cops.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You're forgetting prisons

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

You're forgetting prisons

And Border Patrol

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Are those not in the cop unions?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Those institutions seem to have something in common but I can’t quite put my knee on it....

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1266029780123758594

To gently caress up so bad that the FOP won't defend you or even just put out a non-statement

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They'll hang these guys out to dry while quietly resisting any and every attempt to institute meaningful policy changes and independent investigatory bodies.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1266029780123758594

To gently caress up so bad that the FOP won't defend you or even just put out a non-statement

I’m cynical enough to think they know this is an uphill battle so they’re just gonna throw this guy to the wolves so they can maintain the pretense of actually giving a poo poo about police brutality.

Kinda like how drug cartels will let one shipment get seized so that they can get 10 other shipments in.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fallom posted:

They'll hang these guys out to dry while quietly resisting any and every attempt to institute meaningful policy changes and independent investigatory bodies.

All the cops in the twin cities not barricading themselves inside their precinct were forming a human wall around the murder's house. I don't think they're going to hang him out to dry.

https://twitter.com/theelovelylaya/status/1265899290825818112

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Immanentized posted:

Anyone else notice that Trump retweeted a video from "Real Cowboys" this morning that explicitly said "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265855459719892993?s=20

Oh, good. That's super cool and doesn't cause any problems at all.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Immanentized posted:

It's been commented on quite a bit by media, but there's a bit of a mitigating circumstance - he likely didn't watch the whole thing, or he's an idiot that didn't check, or his staff didn't watch the whole thing, or his staff is a bunch of idiots.

Example:

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1265848008111001601?s=19

Dude saw a Lou Dobbs video, smashed the ol' comment-retweet button, then failed to recognize that the actual tweeter was a Media Matters For America guy.

Edit: hey, an actual thing getting fixed that doesn't gently caress over are troops

https://twitter.com/rabrowne75/status/1266043527957483523?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 28, 2020

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Apparently Zuckerbot went on Fox News this morning to lambast Twitter fact checking Trump.

https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1265790114455838731

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

facialimpediment posted:

It's been commented on quite a bit by media, but there's a bit of a mitigating circumstance - he likely didn't watch the whole thing, or he's an idiot that didn't check, or his staff didn't watch the whole thing, or his staff is a bunch of idiots.

Example:

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1265848008111001601?s=19

Dude saw a Lou Dobbs video, smashed the ol' comment-retweet button, then failed to recognize that the actual tweeter was a Media Matters For America guy.

Edit: hey, an actual thing getting fixed that doesn't gently caress over are troops

https://twitter.com/rabrowne75/status/1266043527957483523?s=19

How hard would it be to make a law making orders that fall just short of benefit thresholds illegal?