Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tiggum posted:

White chocolate is mostly terrible. The bar for it to be worthwhile is so much higher than for dark chocolate that the vast majority of the time it's just not going to reach it. And even at it's best, it pretty much only works as a component. I can't imagine ever choosing to eat white chocolate by itself.

Milk chocolate, on the other hand, is the embodiment mediocrity. There is literally no reason to ever use it for anything because dark would just be better. Despite not actually being bad, as such, it is guaranteed to be disappointing because of how much better it could have been.

So white chocolate, I generally won't eat, but milk chocolate I will eat it but I won't be happy about it.

That's pretty much where I'm at, although I have a suspicion that it might be because American milk chocolate is totally dominated by garbage tier stuff like Hershey's and higher end stuff sticks to dark chocolate to shake the association.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I just eat gummies because gummies are the best.

I don't like the ones shaped like teeth because it seems creepy to chew on teeth.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I make ice cream with 70% dark chocolate and it's muy bueno tbh. Creme Anglaise base which makes about 1L and then 150g of chocolate

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To inappropriately defend myself further, I want to say that the whole deal with dark chocolate for me is all the different varieties / makers / growing regions / single origins that are available. Chocolate is cheap and you can give yourself an amazing tasting experience with a few bucks' worth of chocolate that you eat small enough amounts of that it doesn't even impact your calorie intake. It's like wine tasting, without the cost and the drunkenness. There are dark chocolates that taste like peanut butter, that taste like sour cherries, that taste like raspberries, that taste like brake dust. And the cacao percentage is a fairly small factor in all that. There are 65% bars that are amazing and 78% bars that are ugh. Higher than like 85% is pretty unpleasant and nobody eats it who isn't trying to prove some kind of hot-sauce-esque manliness point.

I dare anyone to read through this ten-part food columnist's takedown of a wanna-be "boutique"/"high-end" chocolate maker from 15 years ago and not just find it a complete delight, to say nothing of wanting to try all the different brands that are being talked about :

http://dallasfood.org/2006/12/noka-chocolate-part-1/

My point is there's a difference between this and snobbiness, and while I realize not that many people are into it, I think it's fascinating and want more people to give it a shot.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Candychat: I discovered a Scandinavian candy called Tyrkisk Peber ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_peber ) and it's awesome.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Candychat: I discovered a Scandinavian candy called Tyrkisk Peber ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_peber ) and it's awesome.

Why do these people insist on putting ammonium chloride in all their food?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LifeSunDeath posted:

I don't know, but the candy is good.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Because they are Metal like that. Salmiak is great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

McSpergin posted:

It's carAmel not carmel
Not seeing the difference.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Also, Reese's never should have made white chocolate peanut butter cups. They are terrible, the flavor just doesn't mix with the peanut butter filling.
Luv 2 eat fat encased in fat thickened with sugar.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zedprime posted:

Me too, usually!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

zedprime posted:

Not seeing the difference.

You just described every cookie or candy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LifeSunDeath posted:

One of the layers is usually flavored with something though. White chocolate peanut butter cups is like they looked at peanut protein in vegetable oil and were like "you know what, that's spicey enough. Let's cover it in cocoa fat substrate and call it a day."

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

zedprime posted:

One of the layers is usually flavored with something though. White chocolate peanut butter cups is like they looked at peanut protein in vegetable oil and were like "you know what, that's spicey enough. Let's cover it in cocoa fat substrate and call it a day."

I'm a huge fan of PB cups, and the white chocolate ones are very bland. But just saying "Nice Fat/Sugar slurry you dingus" is comedy because the more I've been baking, the more I've realized that all sweets are the same bullshit, and it's not very interesting or appealing. The end results are great though.

For instance, made these PB cookies a few days ago:

Butter, PB, flour, sugar, vanilla, egg...it's nothing special but sure is delicious.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm a huge fan of PB cups, and the white chocolate ones are very bland. But just saying "Nice Fat/Sugar slurry you dingus" is comedy because the more I've been baking, the more I've realized that all sweets are the same bullshit, and it's not very interesting or appealing. The end results are great though.

Butter, PB, flour, sugar, vanilla, egg...it's nothing special but sure is delicious.
You're kind of selling short the alchemy of baking. Flour getting toasted in the oven is an ocean of flavor that would terrify the inventor of the white chocolate peanut butter cup.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone have a copy of that What İs Waiting For My Boyfriend picture? İ can't locate it and google is no help.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Am Swede. Put a bag of these in a box I sent to an American friend a number of years back.

His wife got on IRC purely to type words in all caps at me about them when he had received it and was going through the contents. The friend also said that they tasted like "the sin of mankind". It was very much the best result I could have hoped for.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

zedprime posted:

You're kind of selling short the alchemy of baking. Flour getting toasted in the oven is an ocean of flavor that would terrify the inventor of the white chocolate peanut butter cup.

Yes and no. Caramelization/Carbonization of sugar/flour does enhance the flavor profile, but I'm just pointing out that the core mass of the desserts is simply fat/sugar and essentially all the same. I think baking made me jaded, I don't enjoy sweets in the same way because my brain is no longer tricked by presentation/texture, I can taste the ingredients in cakes/cookies are they are all very similar.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KennyMan666 posted:

Am Swede. Put a bag of these in a box I sent to an American friend a number of years back.

His wife got on IRC purely to type words in all caps at me about them when he had received it and was going through the contents. The friend also said that they tasted like "the sin of mankind". It was very much the best result I could have hoped for.

I'm dying at this post

I hope you sent them some surströmming for christmas

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Choco chat: I really don't particularly like bitter flavours (I'm the sort of guy who puts lots of sugar in coffee/tea) so dark chocolate all just kinda tastes like the same blah flavour to me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Or goon :v:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Added cardamom to a peach cobbler the other day, it was a game changer

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I would eat that whole cobbler, especially with the cardamom. Cardamom baked goods are :discourse:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

Flour is for the week. 1 cup peanut butter 1 cup sugar 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. They aren't going to seem done but take them out and let them cool they'll solidify.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Flour is for the week. 1 cup peanut butter 1 cup sugar 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. They aren't going to seem done but take them out and let them cool they'll solidify.

This sounds very similar to what I'd eat as a kid, it was way more peanutbuttery but just fell apart, also it would spread out during cooking something awful.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Added cardamom to a peach cobbler the other day, it was a game changer

this looks amazing

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

KennyMan666 posted:

I buy them via Amazon from a Finnish company and love them. Some friends are still in the "eh, I'm not convinced yet" stage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

rodbeard posted:

Nice spackle recipe.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

KennyMan666 posted:

I brought a bag of Djungelvrål to the US. Got one ”I can’t believe you let me put that in my mouth!” :pervert:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

RL afp.
My first shipment from a restaurant supply store got delayed by UPS (I saw the truck just around the corner yesterday evening but apparently he decided to knock off and leave it for today). As a result I have something like 30lbs of partially thawed ground turkey.
What should I do with it and will I die if (when) I eat it.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Scarodactyl posted:

RL afp.
My first shipment from a restaurant supply store got delayed by UPS (I saw the truck just around the corner yesterday evening but apparently he decided to knock off and leave it for today). As a result I have something like 30lbs of partially thawed ground turkey.

Throw that poo poo out, goon. Also get in contact with the place that sold it to you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Scarodactyl posted:

RL afp.

You say partially thawed, so it's still cold, right? If it is still refrigerator temperature it should be fine to cook. Once ti's cooked you can refreeze it if you aren't up to eating 30lbs of turkey tonight.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

https://gfycat.com/pessimisticdizzybushbaby

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You make some calls and get a free replacement of 30 lbs frozen turkey.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I have no doubt they will replace it, but these are tough times to be throwing out a month's worth of meat (and it isn't trash day for a week anyway).
It is still refrigerator cold, all at least partially frozen. So I think I'll cook it all and then refreeze and hope for the best???
This after I chickened out of egg yolk coffee.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if it's still cold and you trust that it wasn't defrosted and re-frozen beforehand you should be able to cook it and then freeze the product.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

JUST EAT IT

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Panicked a little when they brought out the egg wash, I thought they were gonna deep fry it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
SCARODACTYL EAT THE MEAT

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Meat goes through many freezing/thawing cycles at the factory, it's totally normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/OutOfContextMex/status/1266089664965902336?s=20