Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

It's funny how these are all very reasonable things to be unhappy about and change your plans over, but put through a twisted lens of entitlement that makes you lose all sympathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The people who thought Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles from One Direction are in a relationship are even funnier in my opinion, because there was a group who were convinced that the baby Louis Tomlinson had with a woman as a result of a fling was a fake, and would try to CSI-style investigate every single photo he posted with his child to prove that it was photoshopped in, or a doll, or something else completely bizarre. I'm pretty sure someone even tried to buy a copy of the birth certificate to prove it was fake.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

professor metis posted:

The people who thought Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles from One Direction are in a relationship are even funnier in my opinion, because there was a group who were convinced that the baby Louis Tomlinson had with a woman as a result of a fling was a fake, and would try to CSI-style investigate every single photo he posted with his child to prove that it was photoshopped in, or a doll, or something else completely bizarre. I'm pretty sure someone even tried to buy a copy of the birth certificate to prove it was fake.

There's a set of Benedict Cumberbatch fans who feverishly post constantly about how his entire marriage is a total sham that never even happened, and his wife is actually the World's Worst Human and involved in all kinds of human trafficking and drug smuggling and is abusive to him and faked three pregnancies and probably eats live puppies and ANY DAY NOW he's going to finally man up and escape and she'll go to jail forEVER.

They've been married five years, and have three sons, and look like a perfectly normal happy couple.

I find these fans completely fascinating. It dovetails a lot with q anon type poo poo and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people were flat earthers.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i’m surprised no one has mentioned the actors who play the winchester brothers from supernatural, where some delusional fans were convinced they were dating each other and their wives and children were all fakes to deceive the mainstream media because they couldn’t publicly declare their love for one another.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Splash Attack posted:

i’m surprised no one has mentioned the actors who play the winchester brothers from supernatural, where some delusional fans were convinced they were dating each other and their wives and children were all fakes to deceive the mainstream media because they couldn’t publicly declare their love for one another.

I read years ago that also happened with Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd, the actors who played Merry and Pippin in The Lord of the Rings movies. I remember one of them saying in an interview that he had fans giving him slash fanart and telling him stuff like "It's okay, you don't have to keep your love a secret anymore, we know." People really seem to 1) read a lot of romantic subtext into stuff where it may or may not exist and 2) assume that actors who play romantic roles aren't really acting.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Pththya-lyi posted:

I read years ago that also happened with Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd, the actors who played Merry and Pippin in The Lord of the Rings movies. I remember one of them saying in an interview that he had fans giving him slash fanart and telling him stuff like "It's okay, you don't have to keep your love a secret anymore, we know." People really seem to 1) read a lot of romantic subtext into stuff where it may or may not exist and 2) assume that actors who play romantic roles aren't really acting.

it's extra fun when the creators are poo poo and will gaybait intentionally for the internet points or whatever

johnlock

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Splash Attack posted:

Didn't this also end with them having to stop bringing their wives to cons and stuff because these fans would try and attack them?

Also I read earlier today that there are Taylor swift fans that believe she is behind a new cover of one of her songs so she can get around weird rights poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still lost but wow that's some primo drama right there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? SUSAN SQUAREPANTS!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1265809904763363328

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I was going to make a joke about not keeping records the first time, but if anything they kept too many.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Well. TECHNICALLY wasnt it the nazi government that did the holocaust so it was legal for them. Therfore not a crime.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Well. TECHNICALLY wasnt it the nazi government that did the holocaust so it was legal for them. Therfore not a crime.

War crimes are crimes, dude, it's right there in the name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

there wolf posted:

I was going to make a joke about not keeping records the first time, but if anything they kept too many.

They had those fancy counting machines built for them by IBM, what were they gonna do, not use them?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Pththya-lyi posted:

That did give us this moment though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elblanco posted:

Didn't this also end with them having to stop bringing their wives to cons and stuff because these fans would try and attack them?

Also I read earlier today that there are Taylor swift fans that believe she is behind a new cover of one of her songs so she can get around weird rights poo poo.

They got LOTS of death threats.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Elblanco posted:

At least that one is partially based in truth. She doesn’t own the masters to her first six albums so she’s been planning to re-record them in the fall (which is when her contract legally allows her to re-record her old hits, I guess)

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Arivia posted:

I was rooting for this to be at least partially true and then Kloss got married to a Kushner and turned out to be an incredibly privileged white bitch in like six months, which is super disappointing.

out of curiosity: how come?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Merry and Pippin were gay. Lord of the Rings was just written based on archaeological findings.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

https://twitter.com/sabermarris/status/1265691013340966913?s=19

I didn't know if I should put this here or the good tweets thread because john absolutely rips the guy in the replies
Honestly "YOU'RE PREJUDICED AGAINST PREJUDICE" is such a basic shithead line that replying to it just to be like "u look like gimli" is more of a self own
But i get it, white people are insufferable.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Splash Attack posted:

They had an episode of the show where the brothers ended up in our world (and inhabited the bodies of the actors playing them) met an author who wrote fiction books about them not knowing they existed, and they found out about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA81X9dXXEQ
E: They do a lot of self referential stuff in this show.

There is something about disney that makes people absolutely lose their minds. It's creepy.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 11:40 on May 28, 2020

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly "YOU'RE PREJUDICED AGAINST PREJUDICE" is such a basic shithead line that replying to it just to be like "u look like gimli" is more of a self own
But i get it, white people are insufferable.

I can’t believe in 2020 there are STILL people who think “oh you hate intolerance well that means you’re intolerant of intolerance sorry did I just BLOW YOUR MIND!?” is in any way a clever or insightful idea.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I know white americans simping for private property has been a thing since day 1 but all the people fighting to defend the honor of wendys and targets and poo poo really are proof positive of the total spiritual and cultural bankruptcy of the white race.
https://twitter.com/maximusmadham/status/1265794271883509765?s=20
https://twitter.com/maximusmadham/status/1265838415104352256?s=20

Related:
https://twitter.com/___0HOUR1/status/1265853069436137472
https://twitter.com/jaboukie/status/1265861798756057089

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Using your special needs adoptive son for social media income before giving him up for being difficult.

“A YouTuber with hundreds of thousands of followers who has shared her family’s experience of adopting a toddler from China announced on Tuesday that she and her husband had rehomed their child after unspecified behavioral issues.”

“Myka produced 27 videos about their “adoption journey,” including a 13-part series of “adoption updates.” In the series, Myka answered questions about the process of adopting from China and the emotions she felt.

In some videos, Myka plugged a fundraiser she had organized for Huxley’s unspecified needs. She said every person who donated $5 would unlock a different piece of a 1,000-piece puzzle, which would, at the end, be a photo of Huxley that she would reveal to the world. She also said she would write the names of all donors in his baby book.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemcneal/myka-stauffer-huxley-announcement

https://twitter.com/shmailey_/status/1265483409788461057?s=20

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

You know those people who pay to adopt a designer dog from a puppy mill against everyone’s advice and then end up giving the dog to a shelter after two months because they didn’t mentally prepare themselves for the challenges of dog ownership?

Just saying, 2020 can get hosed.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Read After Burning posted:

Oh, yeah!

I’m not going to link to any specific blogs, due to “don’t touch the poop” and all that. However, searching the relevant tags will certainly pull up quite a few of ‘em..just let me state that harassing these folks would be a lovely thing to do. I do think most of this is either kids or people with mental issues, but regardless, I guess I just found this fascinating (and kind of scary) due to the previously-discussed phenomenon of parasocial relationships. I'd love to know if there was some older form of this pre-Internet, like with the Beatles, Elvis, etc.

ANYWAY, so for the past few years, there’s been a certain subset of Taylor Swift fans that are absolutely convinced that Taylor is secretly a lesbian and married (or engaged) to her best friend, model Karlie Kloss. These folks refer to themselves as “Kaylors” or “Gaylors”. This belief of course peaked with the release of Swift’ You Need to Calm Down music video (a song that most normal people viewed as an ‘ally’ song for the LGBTQ+ community).

Now, you may be wondering the same thing I was: “Couldn’t Taylor Swift be bi? Isn’t that way more likely, especially considering she had bi-flag colored hair in the You Need to Calm Down video?” NOPE. Impossible. She’s straight-up gay and literally none of her relationships with men have been legit and were 100% publicity stunts, every single one. They are obsessed with the idea of her relationships all being “PR contracts”, and the idea is usually that this was pushed on her by Scooter Braun (who you may know has been beefing with Swift quite a bit recently over music rights).

This especially extends to Swift’s current partner (fiance?), who is some British fella named Joe. I believe he’s minorly famous across the pond for being in musical theater, but I could be wrong. The hate these people have for this guy is kind of depressing. He just can’t win! If he’s present at one of her concerts/award shows/etc, then he’s just a publicity hog who is pulling PR “stunts” for attention. If he DOESN’T go to some big event (perhaps because he isn’t used to the spotlight? Maybe he got sick? Who knows! It’s their business!), then it’s just proof that he doesn’t love her and their relationship is fake. A lot of this is based on some random anonymous person/people who sends in “hints” and “riddles”, or based on Taylor or Karlie’s social media posts. They analyze every single thing the two women post, and find “clues” in absolutely everything. (Imagine Charlie from Always Sunny in front of that conspiracy theory posterboard).

Similarly, Karlie has been married to a guy from the Kushner family. While we mostly know of a Kushner as Ivanka Trump’s husband, this guy (Josh) is apparently not a Republican? Regardless, the “Kaylors” similarly hate him and constantly refer to him as a war criminal, etc. that is in a “contract” marriage with Karlie that she will one day escape from.

Now, there was a certain date this year (I believe it was March...2? 3?) where Swift was going to announce something. The “Kaylors” are getting frustrated by this point, and rally behind the idea that if that date comes and goes without Swift coming out, they’re done with her! Of course, said date comes and goes, and they are MAD. I saw various posts using terms like “gaslighting”, “queerbating”, “emotional abuse”, and so on. Like, they took this delusion so personally, to a degree that was kind of disturbing. ...Until the Covid lockdowns started and suddenly these folks get so bored that they are right back at this whole thing all over again and gave her “another chance”!

This sounds like Q anon but for taylor swift fans.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I wanted to post about how I loud I was cackling at mobility scooter Karen getting blasted in the face with the fire extinguisher but then felt like crying as the next post right after it was the abuse of a possibly autistic child. This thread is a wild ride

edit: did a bit of background research, definitely autistic. my bad.

Guilty has a new favorite as of 14:30 on May 28, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it takes all kinds, of idiots

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you want Q Anon for Taylor Swift, there was also a big thing in all the white supremacist forums where they were convinced that she was a secret nazi, entirely on the grounds that she's never explicitly said otherwise, and presumably because of all the winks and nudges people looking for conspiracies always manage to find. It kind of petered out when she endorsed Hillary and blasted Trump in 2016, but it was very much a thing.

I'm sure most any celebrity has at least one following of internet broke brains deep in some bizzarre rabbit hole.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you want Q Anon for Taylor Swift, there was also a big thing in all the white supremacist forums where they were convinced that she was a secret nazi, entirely on the grounds that she's never explicitly said otherwise, and presumably because of all the winks and nudges people looking for conspiracies always manage to find. It kind of petered out when she endorsed Hillary and blasted Trump in 2016, but it was very much a thing.

I'm sure most any celebrity has at least one following of internet broke brains deep in some bizzarre rabbit hole.

Iirc she never endorsed Hillary and didn’t come out as liberal or whatever until 2018 expressing regret she never endorsed Hillary. A lot of it was how she was a secret 4chan regular

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you specifically want conspiracy theories about the beatles then paul mcartney has been dead for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziiOMeChrc&t=48s

Wonderful confluence of parasocial relationships and pareidolia.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 15:38 on May 28, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ambitious Spider posted:

Iirc she never endorsed Hillary and didn’t come out as liberal or whatever until 2018 expressing regret she never endorsed Hillary. A lot of it was how she was a secret 4chan regular

My timeline did feel off, but I couldn't put my finger on why. My mistake!

I'd never even seen the secret chan stuff, but I am not surprised.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What's the explanation for why Taylor Swift has to pretend she isn't gay/bi? Doesn't seem like something that would be a problem.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Ambitious Spider posted:

Iirc she never endorsed Hillary and didnt come out as liberal or whatever until 2018 expressing regret she never endorsed Hillary. A lot of it was how she was a secret 4chan regular

Any chance you've got a version of this that's legible, because it looks hilarious

Sunswipe posted:

What's the explanation for why Taylor Swift has to pretend she isn't gay/bi? Doesn't seem like something that would be a problem.

Probably mostly fear over the backlash given how she's been treated by the media/population at large for the last 15 years.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Too be fair Taylor Swift is a rich white southerner so it was a safe bet.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ah the 'image is close to being legible but not quite' gambit. You win this round.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

She's not even non-binary.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Wizard posted:

Any chance you've got a version of this that's legible, because it looks hilarious

I don’t. I did some googling but the ones I can find all look crappy especially on my phone. There was a legible one a couple years ago so it should be out there somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

She originated in country music where it seems more like it would be an issue.

rodbeard posted:

Too be fair Taylor Swift is a rich white southerner so it was a safe bet.

She's from Pennsylvania and lives in New York City. Her family only moved to Tennessee so she could be close to Nashville.