Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

in the first play through I was always trying to find stuff to make bleach to purify water and it was lame cause making progress was rough. I think they may have re-jiggered drop rates though cause on the second play through it'd probably be fine if I had hunger/thirst on tbh. but I'm more into exploration than survival. imo you should probably go with it turned on and see how it suits you since the devs' intended playstyle

the game's near-total lack of handholding is both one of its best features and its harshest. someone posted a while back about their friend who was stuck in the game and they were like "i'll help you out, where's your base?" and the guy was like "base?" and had somehow gotten all the way to the jellyshroom seabase just with oxygen tanks and pumps and dumping stuff on the sea bed near the lifepod. some of the mechanics are happenstance...i missed the vegetable grow box on my first playthrough and never realized i could have been cultivating all the important plants right near my base instead of swimming all over the map for them. poo poo happens.

but yeah i think thirst and hunger are critical to the experience. it just wouldn't be the same without those moments where you're desperately ripping into a raw eyeeye to keep from starving to death while something horrible and bioluminescent clicks at you in the darkness and your PDA bleeps OXYGEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ooo i might grab prey, but i have so many games now

i started outer wilds and yep, it good! early impression: i like that it didnt limit me in exploration and the first time i died was trying to wander on the interloper and slipping into the sun

cloudpunk is pretty chill. its been a nice break from faster games

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

gonna throw out that my most recent survival mode game was no mans sky after the overhauls and that was a fun challenge. i still havent gotten to subnautica but it sounds like my kind of game based on all these posts and especially with the food and supplies

nms permadeath starts with an extreme condition planet (radiation, acid rain, cold, burning storms) and gives you enough tools and provisions to run to your ship for shelter if you keep moving and quickly restock. it took 4 runs to make it to the end of the game that way and the risk made the gameplay so much more rewarding

i did go in with the full regular game under my belt so it wasnt as difficult as say starting and not knowing how to build shelter or fight enemies effectively

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

psiox posted:

yeah i kinda lost steam in doom eternal after the first day

it's pretty but tbh feels way too gamified and ooh wow make sure your GAMER"S" RANK is good and it's no longer a story about spacecapitalism

so oh well

yeah something about the combat feels way off compared to what i was used to in doom 2016

also the whole orbital hub thing is just....... what. what the gently caress is this poo poo. why. just... keep me going through a series of levels where i shoot and rip and tear demons.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for subnautica tips

completed main story of rear end creed Odyseey last night. was surprised because I still have decent number of cult to kill but alas, motivation to play more kinda just stopped because I wanted to know how story progresses rather than just play more

assassions creeds origins and O’Shea have been real drat good game experiences

also I see crusader kings 3 is a round the corner... I enabled a cheat in 2 that allowed mating with your relatives to create weird looking family trees with the same person popping up all over the show. so sexy

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Skim Milk posted:

prey is $12 on GoG

prey loving owns and is one of the best games i've played in the last decade, hands down

strongly recommended

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prey is real good and so are both dishonored games (same studio), especially the second one.

prey : system shock :: dishonored : thief

too bad deus ex couldn't pull off the same

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
oh yeah, i only picked up the dishonored games a few months ago since they turned up on gog and they were also very good (and very different, but still extremely interesting and beautiful and fun)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s first person tho

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

theadder posted:

my name is james

hi

as a fellow james i am very confused by this thread

there does not seem to be much discussion of jamess and james-related topics

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

you can kill the marauder easily by combining the super shotgun and balista. You can get a shot in with both in 1 stagger...

git gud scrubs

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gas.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
first evening with oculus

holy poo poo I love it. alyx is amazing, but just so much feels so good in it

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Sagebrush posted:

prey is real good and so are both dishonored games (same studio), especially the second one.

there's a new noclip doc on arkane if you're into that sort of thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4kdqwdbZZ8

they spend quite a chunk of time showing some of their canceled projects which is p rare, usually that sorta poo poo is on super duper NDA lockdown for eternity.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I loved both Dishonored games but I've tried Prey a few times on PS4 and just can't get into it. It looks gorgeous and I love the design, but it feels really sluggish and I found the enemies really unsatisfying to fight and kill. I'm pretty sure I was playing it wrong though.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

prey is an enormous chore to play tho it does feature my beloved Khan so its impossible to say of its bad or not

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i liked prey... as an LP

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i don't care if this is a honeypot.

subnautica was incredibly good

really want another game to pass the plague-times but i can't spend more than $20 on one and ps4 games are suddenly never on sale

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i don't care if this is a honeypot.

subnautica was incredibly good

really want another game to pass the plague-times but i can't spend more than $20 on one and ps4 games are suddenly never on sale

below zero is early access 19.99 on steam. i played it for a little while and it seems like it's really coming together. it's very pretty

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i liked the og prey from like 2005 or whatever more than the new one

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

below zero is early access 19.99 on steam. i played it for a little while and it seems like it's really coming together. it's very pretty
i'll get it when it's on ps4. i don't do 'early access' or winders

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i liked the og prey from like 2005 or whatever more than the new one
i thought they were both p fun

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

first evening with oculus

holy poo poo I love it. alyx is amazing, but just so much feels so good in it

Skyrim and Fallout4 get a lot of (mostly deserved) bad rap for their halfassed VR implementations but they are still p. much the only huge open worlds in town and despite all their failings the sheer cool factor of being inside theses well-known worlds make up for a lot. If you can find them in a sale / bundle for half price or better I'd say try one of them out (Skyrim is probably the better of the two technically and the archery with two VR controllers is :discourse: , but few things to me have been as fun as the 10MM pistol in Fallout4 VR)

fakeedit: bleh you're out of luck right now:

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/falloutivvr/info/ £35

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/elderscrollsvskyrimvr/info/ £32

Video Jamers if you don't have an ITAD account I would recommend it, its really useful for picking up stuff you don't need right now / don't want to pay full price for. The page layout is a bit unintuitive / labyrinthine but you're smart folks, you'll figure it out.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 28, 2020

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
current james status: been working though the new god of war and taking a drink every time kratos says BOY

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m shocked that there’s a James thread again. posting in a honeypot etc

anyway I play destiny now

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i just beat sekiro, it's a single player fighting game with really satisfying controls

i like bloodborne most in the From Software Canon but sekiro feels like a much more refined and better version of that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Skyrim and Fallout4 get a lot of (mostly deserved) bad rap for their halfassed VR implementations but they are still p. much the only huge open worlds in town and despite all their failings the sheer cool factor of being inside theses well-known worlds make up for a lot. If you can find them in a sale / bundle for half price or better I'd say try one of them out (Skyrim is probably the better of the two technically and the archery with two VR controllers is :discourse: , but few things to me have been as fun as the 10MM pistol in Fallout4 VR)

fakeedit: bleh you're out of luck right now:

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/falloutivvr/info/ £35

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/elderscrollsvskyrimvr/info/ £32

Video Jamers if you don't have an ITAD account I would recommend it, its really useful for picking up stuff you don't need right now / don't want to pay full price for. The page layout is a bit unintuitive / labyrinthine but you're smart folks, you'll figure it out.

never heard of that site but I’ll check it out. thanks

I have Skyrim but I suppose you need a new one for VR?

the sensation of being in the world is utterly unrecreatable without the helmet. even street view in google earth is profoundly compelling, really feels like you’re sitting on the google car on the street

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Share Bear posted:

i just beat sekiro, it's a single player fighting game with really satisfying controls

i like bloodborne most in the From Software Canon but sekiro feels like a much more refined and better version of that

if your copy is on PS4 I'll give you 20 for it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

if your copy is on PS4 I'll give you 20 for it

nah pc digital only

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:argh:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

are physical video games hard to get now? i heard about the switch shortage but like other physical ones too?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Share Bear posted:

it's the most refined and focused they've made the combat system and it shows

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Kuvo posted:

it's the most refined and focused they've made the combat system and it shows

yeah like the sound/visual cues and timing of most combat encounters is super on-point

but i also love that they try to defy the system with a bunch of their beast bosses that dont care about parries or active frames (sacred ape, lava demon)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I've been playing LoL again and i forgot that it is a good game

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

abigserve posted:

I've been playing LoL again and i forgot that it is a good game

yeah i remember Legend of Legaia being pretty good. it was part of that post-FF7 RPG wave . i have the sequel but i've never gotten around to playing it.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

doom eternal is real good

trying to beat it on ultra-nightmare since I have absolutely nothing going on in my life

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MAD MAX is about done, 48hrs on the clock for the main story, all the side quests and about 80% of the open-world locations. It definitely picked up once your car and character upgraded past 'wet paper bag' status, though in doing a bunch of missions before really getting into the story I think I overpowered myself a bit and was wrecking effortlessly almost the whole way through. Some of the bigger battles where they throw 8 mixed skill dudes at you and four or five waves of similar all without any chance to heal up was fun though.

If you like open worlds, car smashing and very violent combat (late-game I did a 'Weapon execution' on a mook who was just getting to one knee and Max swung this big two-hand wasteland billhook like a loving golf club into his head, I was gently caress) def pick this up in a sale.

Like I said before, a good looking game as well.

also;

burning swine
May 26, 2004

this glorifies the crab

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Decided to try Far Cry 5 on the free weekend, I played 1-4 all through to completion and enjoyed them all (to varying degrees), this one seems very much 'more of the same', very pretty looking game as well. I popped 3 cultists with a pistol and then found a compound bow in a bunker as my first mission reward and I haven't picked up another gun since - clearing an outpost without them ever knowing you were there is a lot of fun. The bow handles much like the previous games, especially in Blood Dragon where I also used it pretty much exclusively.

I don't know if I'd pay full or even half price for it, but a tenner seems a fair outlay.

Also I have a dog buddy who will sniff out bad guys for me to arrow :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

feeling frisky. which is the best wolfenstein?