Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

I was having decision paralysis about what class to play but if you can change on the fly that's rad as hell.

Not during quests, but any time outside of that. Unfortunately if you want to be optimal at all of them you'll have to pay about :10bux: for extra Mags (one for each attack type and one for DEX).

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are there any decent Force guides out there? Right now my go to techs are Gibarta for wiping swarms of enemies in front of me, Gizonde for quick nuking 1-2 enemies, and Ilgrants for when I want to fire magic missiles at something (this seems to be real good for hitting weak spots non-stop too). Still only in the low 20s but it feels like damage output is getting a little better, and having tech as a subclass now should help with more tp regen too. Though I still see the occasional melee character create waterfalls of damage that is well beyond any DPS I output.

With leveling mags, is the go to option for focusing on a single stat still "feed it all the extra weapons of that type you don't need, while also feeding it cheap items/furniture that lowers the progress of other stats that are rising slowly" or is there a better way now?

I'd also be interested in a Force guide, but I bought some tech disks off the player shops through the visiphone. I've heard eventually you'll want a full suite of high-Element weapons to swap between but at low levels it's not that important.

For Mags, that's about what I've heard (though Braver and Bouncer get it easy since they just feed disks and only disks, which increase Dex only).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think the only thing that truly prevents truly changing classes and trying out everything on the same character are the skill trees. There are certain skills that only take affect for the class if it's the main class meaning that those points will be wasted if that class ends up being a secondary.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ah, don't worry, you can pay money to buy new skill trees for classes too!

Though honestly, I haven't seen that many main class only skills, so I think you can get by with one skill tree for class. You might be mildly less efficient, but not by too much.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is the only way to join an alliance to find somebody already a member and ask them to scout me? That seems pretty old-school.

Also I assumed the orange dot marker on certain quests was main story progression, was that incorrect? It's telling me to do this Forest Expedition with the big wolf at the end over and over and nothing else.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Why can't I find Fury stance on my Hunter's palette options? It only shows me guard stance.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Glenn Quebec posted:

I was having decision paralysis about what class to play but if you can change on the fly that's rad as hell.

Check out the mission counter to do the practice quests. They have all the basic classes to try out and give you a basic idea of how they play. Very worth doing and you even earn some gems I believe from a client order doing them.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Scoss posted:

Why can't I find Fury stance on my Hunter's palette options? It only shows me guard stance.

Some of the Stances are just passives now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Scoss posted:

Every class with stances has had them condensed down to one active, one passive. Fury Stance is always active as long as Guard Stance isn't.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

Is the only way to join an alliance to find somebody already a member and ask them to scout me? That seems pretty old-school.

Also I assumed the orange dot marker on certain quests was main story progression, was that incorrect? It's telling me to do this Forest Expedition with the big wolf at the end over and over and nothing else.

No, you can find an Alliance by interacting with the pink ring ... whatever station things and searching for one by name, which gives you an apply button.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do we join the goon guild anyways? Is it Goon Squad?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got a box with a bunch of mag related items, can I just slam-jam all 50 of these MEL increasing ones into it? (Considering I want a MEL Mag) Like is there any reason to hold onto them for later?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I got a box with a bunch of mag related items, can I just slam-jam all 50 of these MEL increasing ones into it? (Considering I want a MEL Mag) Like is there any reason to hold onto them for later?

no real reason to hold on to those, I think

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Anyone have any idea why someone wouldn't be able to talk to Hans? My friend is level 14 and Hans still brushes him off, saying he's a scrub or whatever.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

jokes posted:

How do we join the goon guild anyways? Is it Goon Squad?

No, it is Nol Vacancy. Currently we are at 100/100 slots. If someone else wants to establish a spillover alliance, they are free to do so, just make sure you're posting in here and the Discord what it is.

Once things cool down and people drop off, it's easy to collapse alliances into each other, as you will have the option to merge alliances, retaining one alliance name, if you are the alliance owner. The only person who can do that is the Alliance owner, and if the Alliance owner is inactive, then the Alliance ownership is automatically passed from team officer to team officer in order of seniority/promotion date. In order for alliance succession to work appropriately, you must appoint officers to manage stuff if you burn out.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

gco posted:

Anyone have any idea why someone wouldn't be able to talk to Hans? My friend is level 14 and Hans still brushes him off, saying he's a scrub or whatever.

He may have to complete some of Afin's client orders (specifically the Outbreak one?), and possibly a few of the initial Story Quests, from what I've read.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Lucked out on the scratchers that come along with the sonic colab thing and drew a miku outfit along with a bunch of other less exciting things. Once it all finishes selling Miku Hair might actually be within my grasp.

Wow. Just imagine. Me, with Miku hair. wow

Edit: pretty sure it was going forth north of 20mil on jp last i bothered to check

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

That is the intended use for them. Don't slam all 150 food items into your mag unless you want a frankenstein freakshow of a mag, as only 50 of them are MEL. Bank the 2 stacks of food items you didn't use, and use them if you buy another mag.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I know Ship 2 is the goon ship of choice but I joined 3 so I could play with a work friend. Anyone here on #3? Wondering if there's enough of a presence for a new guild :thunk:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does someone have a good starting build for how to spec as a Ranger? Looking at this for now: https://somethingaboutlagging.wordpress.com/updated-class-combinations/

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 28, 2020

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

explosivo posted:

I know Ship 2 is the goon ship of choice but I joined 3 so I could play with a work friend. Anyone here on #3? Wondering if there's enough of a presence for a new guild :thunk:

Previous page. There are a few retrogaming goons on goon retro discords on 3 including myself.

But the Phantasy Star Cave discord linked a pretty decent so far starter video on figuring out PSO2.

https://youtu.be/nQwanPnF69c

(I'll be playing PSO 2 tonight sometime probably after 8pm est. User name is Captain Rufus and my current character is on the previous page. As of when my dumb rear end went to bed my Elf Wizard was level 4. I'm probably the only straight dude playing a sensibly dressed lady without big anime tiddies in the game I bet. Her skin isn't as dark as I wanted it to be so I might have to tweak it. I take my Dark Elf Wizards seriously. My namesake would require a Flameberg sword. Yes I have an entire cast of characters I use in rpgs and I get salty when I can't make them properly with my desired looks and weapons. )

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a way to like pin a quest log or something while I’m in a zone? Hitting escape to one up the log and tab through to see what I need is pretty tedious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also with my above question how bad of an idea/even feasible is it to try and set up like I was playing a RAmar in PSO1 and use resta/shifta/deband as a backup support? I used to play with only one other person so they'd tank and I'd DPS and we'd just alternate buffs and supporting lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I am feeling really dumb since the guide I looked at says to get a Mag from the person next to the quest counter but I've talked to everyone I can see and don't see an option to get a Mag.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fabricated posted:

I am feeling really dumb since the guide I looked at says to get a Mag from the person next to the quest counter but I've talked to everyone I can see and don't see an option to get a Mag.

I got mine after accepting a quest from some lady at the counter.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fabricated posted:

You need to fulfill a bunch of client missions for the NPC you started the game with. Once that's done the lady will have the mag quest.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This game sure has a lot of turbo-anime cutscenes but somehow not a plot

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

As a BM Hunter main in WoW, I ask: Is there any way to change the movement controls to the arrow keys?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Also with my above question how bad of an idea/even feasible is it to try and set up like I was playing a RAmar in PSO1 and use resta/shifta/deband as a backup support? I used to play with only one other person so they'd tank and I'd DPS and we'd just alternate buffs and supporting lol
I think you have to sub-class as a Force or other magic class to do this, sadly. Vanilla Rangers can't use techs.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
well, game just straight up won't boot and crashes with no error message after the GameGuard loading. loving around with file permissions and all the other tricks floating around does nothing, and after a reboot it had to completely redownload and reinstall. good job MS, really nailed the launch of an 8 year old game on your own system. this is the kind of bullshit i had to deal with playing Ragnarok private servers as a kid, and even those usually worked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harlock posted:

I think you have to sub-class as a Force or other magic class to do this, sadly. Vanilla Rangers can't use techs.

Maybe I should be a force ranger and mostly ignore my main class then lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If you are a Force/Ranger you will make Outback Aibou sad.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Maybe I should be a force ranger and mostly ignore my main class then lol

You might want to look into Techter. It's much more support focused than Force is, so you've got better Shifta/Deband on top of some fun utility techs like Zanverse (creates an AoE that causes all enemies inside to take bonus damage when hit by anyone's attacks) and Zondeel (draws in all enemies, making them easy to cleave).

If you have your heart set on guns, I've seen some people mention Techter/Ranger as a niche but functional build that involves a lot of tech usage and gun shooting, but I have no idea if that has any basis in reality (I never played the JP version so I have about 3 hours of experience in this game).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ryanbomber posted:

You might want to look into Techter. It's much more support focused than Force is, so you've got better Shifta/Deband on top of some fun utility techs like Zanverse (creates an AoE that causes all enemies inside to take bonus damage when hit by anyone's attacks) and Zondeel (draws in all enemies, making them easy to cleave).

If you have your heart set on guns, I've seen some people mention Techter/Ranger as a niche but functional build that involves a lot of tech usage and gun shooting, but I have no idea if that has any basis in reality (I never played the JP version so I have about 3 hours of experience in this game).

Te/Ra is a thing, but you have to use an all-class rifle. You won't do as much damage as a Techter, nor a Ranger, but since you're maining Techter, you will have access to super-powered Shifta/Deband/Resta/Anti, etc as well as Ranger's Blight Bullet. Blight Bullet is great to have but not as essential as it used to be in high end content, it's a decent build, if restricted on exactly what you can use as a weapon.

If you're curious, I can whip up a build for it when I get home, or cruise the google sheets to find one.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 28, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Techter/Ranger is kind of a old pure support build from back when blight bullet (was weak bullet back in JP) gave a 255% damage increase instead of the 20% it gives now. The idea was to just keep up buffs and weak bullet while also casting zanverse near the rest of the group.

Nowadays with nerfed blight bullet it's much less of a thing, but you could still do it if you really wanted to. Just know that you're not going to be doing much damage yourself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks yall, I don't mind if I suck badly as a result, I just want to play PSO1 2 instead of PSO 2, if that makes sense. Obviously PSO2 is not that and much more than that but I am going to make it be that instead :v:

Speaking of which I appreciate that the first two rifle attacks are just "the entire three round burst combo from PSO 1" and "mag dump"

e: Oh I can switch for free too, even better

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 28, 2020

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Check out the mission counter to do the practice quests. They have all the basic classes to try out and give you a basic idea of how they play. Very worth doing and you even earn some gems I believe from a client order doing them.

oh poo poo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

This game sure has a lot of turbo-anime cutscenes but somehow not a plot

there's a plot but it doesn't really kick off until you've done the post-exploration story quests for about...4 or 5 areas, I think

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Sailor Dave posted:

He may have to complete some of Afin's client orders (specifically the Outbreak one?), and possibly a few of the initial Story Quests, from what I've read.

Yeah that appeared to be the case, but now Hans doesn't have anymore quests after the forest ones. He's only level 18, but I recall being able to accept all of them right away...

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I've had to completely reinstall Windows because of this dang game. It was working fine yesterday, but today I tried to start it up and it corrupted the entire game directory to the point where I actually couldn't delete them through Windows no matter how much permission juggling I did. Even once I finally got it deleted to try again, the store completely refused to even TRY to download it no matter what.

After a bunch of other shenanigans, I ended up trying to just reset Windows with my personal files intact to see if that would fix it, and that actually broke EVERYTHING, flooding my SSD with broken appx event logs and making my start menu not open anymore, forcing me to format everything and start fresh.

Good lord, what an absolute piece of poo poo the Microsoft Store is. What was Microsoft thinking with this garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pierson posted:

I managed to dip into it for a bit and it seems cool as somebody going in completely blind, does the combat get much more complex than three moves and three more moves on your sub-list?

You can switch weapons mid combat to good effect, Phantom kind of has this built in (not that we have it yet)

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBQpkqDddM