Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The marching dudes aren't throwing that tiny rock. They raise a wall to block a lovely little slow flame blast - they're just dancing around for no reason. The little rock is some guy off screen preparing a throw. The throw is also lovely, little, and slow. It's just impossible to follow because the camera is lazily bobbing backwards, so you see the rocks before you see the person bending them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR2kbOK8i6I

Pretty much everything in the scene is awful. It's trying to be one of those stylish single-take fight scenes, but the camera is just slowly floating aroung, the blocking makes no sense so peoople have to keep running into frame,there's only ever one "thing" happening at once, so half the actors are standing around dithering on the spot.

It really annoys me that they change bending from "kung fu" to "magic spells". In the cartoon every move a person makes corresponds to something with whatever element they're bending. In the film people just prance about doing moves, stop, and then something happens.

It's almost like giving a big action fantasy romp to a guy who mostly made movies of people standing around talking was a really dumb idea.

Is this what set the template for modern superhero movies? This is a really bad and boring fight scene that seems to rely completely on the CGI wow-factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So...Airbenders are no more, but there are a plethora of Fire and Earthbenders? And the Earthbenders apparently can beat the Firebenders, but they just needed a little guy to knock a few of them down first before they tried?

Is the floating rock from an Earthbender or an Airbender?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

Nah, the problem is that the solution they presented was basically "at least slavery is better than destitution!" The episode seemed like it was trying to say that unfettered capitalism is bad but then got rewritten to say that actually automation is the problem. They never get around to addressing the fact that a single company being the only employer on an entire planet makes it functionally a dictatorship, which seems like it was the issue the Doctor should have been there to deal with.

It's definitely an episode that either got one too many rewrites or one too few. There's a lot of really strong points to be made about the whole scenario, some of which it made (poorly) and some of which it didn't. I still think it's a story with its heart in the right place, just one that failed to actually articulate its point.

...or honestly to tell a good story, either. It's one of the worst sorts of TV stories to have this problem with, because as an episode isolated from its message, it's just okay. It's barely worth defending as a piece of entertainment, nor is it even all that terrible as one, so the only thing that's really worth discussing is its politics, and whether it's just muddled or outright saying the wrong thing. Which isn't even a good political discussion to have.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Krispy Wafer posted:

So...Airbenders are no more, but there are a plethora of Fire and Earthbenders? And the Earthbenders apparently can beat the Firebenders, but they just needed a little guy to knock a few of them down first before they tried?

Is the floating rock from an Earthbender or an Airbender?

on the show the earthbenders were kept captive on a steel boat way out to sea so they wouldnt have any rocks or dirt to use as weapons. their spirits have been broken so it takes both the discovery of a weapon (the coal from the ship's engine) and the inspiration to fight back before they can beat the firebenders. the movie is dumb as hell so the earthbenders are now surrounded by rocks and dirt but they just sort of...don't try to use them, until the main hero guy tells them to

the show is really good

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tenebrais posted:

I remember there being an episode with a girl who later turned out to have a Y chromosome and androgen insensitivity. House's approach of saying that this girl is therefore now a he is predictably dated, but on top of that the girl was introduced as a teenage model and he spent the first half of the episode going on about how attractive this 15-year-old is. To her face.

And iirc correctly, the dad was sexually assaulting her, and House was like “ you weren’t raping your daughter you were raping your son!”

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ambitious Spider posted:

And iirc correctly, the dad was sexually assaulting her, and House was like “ you weren’t raping your daughter you were raping your son!”

But then, classic House twist, the daughter got him drunk and manipulated him into doing it so she could have leverage over him forever and get what she wanted by always threatening she'd go to the cops and tell them he raped her.

Holy poo poo, that was terrible. Not just the aforementioned bad shots and choreography, but the loving script and acting was poo poo. Is it that bad in the rest of the movie?

Granted, I only just started watching Avatar for the first time, since it just hit Netflix. Everyone says it's one of the best cartoons, though I'm not super impressed so far, but I'm keeping an open mind...I have to remember it was designed for 8-14 year-olds, not a man in his 30's. But even I can tell, from just the few episodes I watched and that few minute clip, that that movie is the biggest slap in the face to Avatar.

Holy lord, what the hell?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

However, Hugh Laurie still does an amazing job.

i think this is why people overlooked some of the ridiculous poo poo that happened on that show. for the time it wasn't that bad, and also hugh laurie is a joy to watch and the performances generally grounded the otherwise goofy writing

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Granted, I only just started watching Avatar for the first time, since it just hit Netflix. Everyone says it's one of the best cartoons, though I'm not super impressed so far, but I'm keeping an open mind...I have to remember it was designed for 8-14 year-olds, not a man in his 30's. But even I can tell, from just the few episodes I watched and that few minute clip, that that movie is the biggest slap in the face to Avatar.

The show gets significantly more engaging around halfway through the first season. That's my memory of it anyway, its been awhile.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Moon Monster posted:

The show gets significantly more engaging around halfway through the first season. That's my memory of it anyway, its been awhile.

Yeah the actual story doesn't start until then, as in, Aang gets actual motivation to go out and do stuff.

The show goes from good to great when Toph, the greatest character in the franchise, shows up around the beginning of season 2.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I remember there being an episode with a girl who later turned out to have a Y chromosome and androgen insensitivity. House's approach of saying that this girl is therefore now a he is predictably dated, but on top of that the girl was introduced as a teenage model and he spent the first half of the episode going on about how attractive this 15-year-old is. To her face.

My "favorite" creepy House moment is during an episode where they were trying to figure out why a guy's pre-teen son and daughter seemed to be going through super-early puberty so House walks into the daycare they attend and asks the first 10 year old girl he sees "Do you have hair in your special place?" in the creepiest voice possible. "Hahaha, isn't House so WACKY?"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Humerus posted:

Yeah the actual story doesn't start until then, as in, Aang gets actual motivation to go out and do stuff.

The show goes from good to great when Toph, the greatest character in the franchise, shows up around the beginning of season 2.

Hmm...all of the memes I've seen have told me that either the Cabbage guy, or Uncle Iroh (who is currently a villain?) is the best character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Captain Monkey posted:

Pissing on once/currently popular things makes you seem enlightened when posting with your friends online.

That only works if it’s still popular like Friends or the office. Everyone lost interest in house a decade ago. Hell even while it was still airing

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hmm...all of the memes I've seen have told me that either the Cabbage guy, or Uncle Iroh (who is currently a villain?) is the best character.

Uncle iroh is never a villain, just an antagonist

It's an important theme of the show that just bc someone's your enemy, doesn't make them inherently a bad person

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

purple death ray posted:

on the show the earthbenders were kept captive on a steel boat way out to sea so they wouldnt have any rocks or dirt to use as weapons. their spirits have been broken so it takes both the discovery of a weapon (the coal from the ship's engine) and the inspiration to fight back before they can beat the firebenders. the movie is dumb as hell so the earthbenders are now surrounded by rocks and dirt but they just sort of...don't try to use them, until the main hero guy tells them to

the show is really good

So this was some sort of special steel forged from air?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The “best” part of House is that it went on for so long that it inevitably touched on some medical topic someone is an expert on. For me, that’s endometriosis and DXM abuse.

Both of those episodes are comedy gold. No, endo won’t break loose and fly around your body like super cancer. Yes, it has been found in the brain. No, that’s uncommon as gently caress, and it wouldn’t happen in the space of hours. Yes, DXM will make you look dumb to other people while on it, but while it is a dissociative, it’s not the sort of thing that will make a depressed smart person into a happy stupid person. And that happy stupid person won’t be a contributing member of society, because he’ll be ataxic as gently caress and too uncoordinated to do anything useful.

There’s a doctor who blogged the veracity of every episode. Highly recommend if you enjoy House but side eye the medicine they’re allegedly practicing on it.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Sunswipe posted:

it was like a whole thing in the show that metalbending was a specialized thing that was "impossible" to be able to do until Toph figured it out and spread it, a bunch of scared random dudes on a boat before Toph is even introduced as a character can't bend metal, no

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sunswipe posted:

No? Earthbenders just aren’t able to do anything with metal at first

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
House is like hacking in the 90s. You just throw around vaguely relevant terms and hope no one realizes you are full of poo poo

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's quite a high standard to live up to! It's always gonna be a kids show, just a drat good one.

christmas boots posted:

No? Earthbenders just aren’t able to do anything with metal at first

I assume he meant the rocks that you get metal out of.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Uncle iroh is never a villain, just an antagonist

It's an important theme of the show that just bc someone's your enemy, doesn't make them inherently a bad person

Iroh is straight up the best, and the loss of Mako was noticed in S3

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That's quite a high standard to live up to! It's always gonna be a kids show, just a drat good one.

I assume he meant the rocks that you get metal out of.

The problem was they misheard when bending powers were handed out. The guy was like "OK, would you like to bend Earth, Ore, Oil, other associated things..." but they cut him off thinking he was saying "Earth or..." and just went "Yeah, we want to bend Earth!" and that's what happened.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The “best” part of House is that it went on for so long that it inevitably touched on some medical topic someone is an expert on. For me, that’s endometriosis and DXM abuse.

Both of those episodes are comedy gold. No, endo won’t break loose and fly around your body like super cancer. Yes, it has been found in the brain. No, that’s uncommon as gently caress, and it wouldn’t happen in the space of hours. Yes, DXM will make you look dumb to other people while on it, but while it is a dissociative, it’s not the sort of thing that will make a depressed smart person into a happy stupid person. And that happy stupid person won’t be a contributing member of society, because he’ll be ataxic as gently caress and too uncoordinated to do anything useful.

There’s a doctor who blogged the veracity of every episode. Highly recommend if you enjoy House but side eye the medicine they’re allegedly practicing on it.

Season 4 is when it started getting really bad with the medical stuff. They had an episode with a guy who had mirror syndrome in that one, which is something that has only been documented in one person who may well have been faking.

Any time they do CPR it’s super weird for me- it’s not inaccurate per se, but CPR and ACLS guidelines have changed so much in the 15 years since it first went on the air that my brain still goes “WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!”

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I know (anecdotally) two women with endometriosis and I can't even imagine the pain from it. Women have a higher pain tolerance/threshold but just ouch.

And then on DXM, the d is for dextro which means "right" in latin

quote:

Dextromethorphan is a synthetic, methylated dextrorotary analogue of levorphanol, a substance related to codeine and a non-opioid derivate of morphine. Dextromethorphan exhibits antitussive activity and is devoid of analgesic or addictive property. This agent crosses the blood-brain-barrier and activates sigma opioid receptors on the cough center in the central nervous system, thereby suppressing the cough reflex.

Essentially that means it fucks you up good and proper but has no pain killing properties. You just walk around like a robot disconnected between mind and body.

I used to love that stuff

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Pick posted:

That's honestly the main thing that stands out to me. We clearly have made progress, because "edgy" House is now unbelievably racist/ableist/sexist house. Just, ... that's not where the edge is any more. There's an episode where he's dealing with a patient with dwarfism and he talks about how he'd like to gently caress her and spin her around. to her. to her face.

What struck me about that scene was not just how bad it was in terms of being 'offensive', but how bad it was in terms of 'funny'.
House is supposed to be making crude jokes at her expense, but the best he could manage was 'You're short. Hurrr' - not even edgy funny, just offensive.

It stuck out even more if you know that Laurie was an acclaimed comedy writer/actor who co-wrote some very funny stuff, so I wonder how he felt at having to deliver that drivel.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Wasn’t that his thing though? IIRC he wasn’t trying to be funny as much as he was trying to wind people up because that’s his fetish.

Although I guess we were supposed to find it funny

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A lot of House episodes have house successfully push people’s buttons to reveal that actual they are horrible people so he definitely was supposed to be really clever in general

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wasn't House another example of Tyler Durdenism?
Like, you're supposed to realize that he's an utterly toxic rear end in a top hat that normal people can't stand to be around, but idiots idolize him because he gets to flick his cigarette in everyone's face before riding off on his motorcycle to go be right about everything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean maybe but even before that everyone loves or respects him up until he personally wrongs them. Plus in the end despite is own gently caress ups he was completely correct more times than not

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
That's what I love about the Avatar series, you have fundamental element bending that leads into tougher disciplines of bending that require more understanding, nuance and power.

Earth to Metal.
Fire to Lightning.
Water to Blood.

Which episode had Toph bat sense impurities in the iron confinement she was locked in to get a grip on the metal with her power and figure out metal bending?
Really good lesson in finding points of understanding for a larger problem and working at.

If only Shyamalan had any enthusiasm or curiosity for the series he claimed to have.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have friends who want a grim and gritty Avatar remake where they blood bend people to death and show extreme violence and they don't understand that they're just being the worst kinds of nerds. It doesn't need to have those things and it still works well for what it is, adding in GoT levels of violence would take away from the show I think.

They could have acknowledged things like Jet getting executed outside of pop up trivia shown in reruns though

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They even poke fun at the confusion in Ember Island Players but I've never thought it was very ambiguous. He says he's gonna be fine and they have the character who can tell when someone is lying, say he's lying

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean maybe but even before that everyone loves or respects him up until he personally wrongs them. Plus in the end despite is own gently caress ups he was completely correct more times than not

That's what I look for in a doctor, an rear end in a top hat whose correct at least 51% of the time.

I never watched House, so I'm assuming the main character is Dr. Cox with a disability and drug addiction.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

That's what I look for in a doctor, an rear end in a top hat whose correct at least 51% of the time.

I never watched House, so I'm assuming the main character is Dr. Cox with a disability and drug addiction.

No not medically he is correct 99% there I mean when he says something assholish and cynical he is often proven correct

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Len posted:

I have friends who want a grim and gritty Avatar remake where they blood bend people to death and show extreme violence and they don't understand that they're just being the worst kinds of nerds. It doesn't need to have those things and it still works well for what it is, adding in GoT levels of violence would take away from the show I think.

While we're at it, why not add 9/11parallels to Star Trek and have the federation go all totalitarian and start comitting war crimes and using chemical weapons because sometimes the only language people understand is violence.

Hang on, wait a minute...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

He's literally more abusive than Cox

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I mean, a gritty Captain Planet where they actually are eco-terrorists could be interesting if done right.
Granted, drat near anything is capable of being good if it's "done right."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weirdest part of the M Night Avatar movie is how he changed the way names are pronounced. This wasn't a book adaptation, he had the way the creators intended the names to be said from the show itself.

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

That's what I love about the Avatar series, you have fundamental element bending that leads into tougher disciplines of bending that require more understanding, nuance and power.

Earth to Metal.
Fire to Lightning.
Water to Blood.

Which episode had Toph bat sense impurities in the iron confinement she was locked in to get a grip on the metal with her power and figure out metal bending?
Really good lesson in finding points of understanding for a larger problem and working at.

If only Shyamalan had any enthusiasm or curiosity for the series he claimed to have.

Yea, I'm rewatching now and a running theme that I think is really neat is that masters of each element aren't just powerful benders, but people with the ingenuity to use their power outside of a rigid ideology and improvise. The elements each have attached philosophies, but Iroh is able to generate/redirect lightning by embracing the ideas of waterbending and is overall a stronger firebender than most anyone else because he relies on positivity and life rather than anger for his bending. It's definitely made more for kids than adults, but other than some tone whiplash between comedy and drama, it holds up really well and gives out life lessons about not otherizing people or mistaking sensitivity for weakness with a lot more emotional resonance than any other media I can think of.

Katara's season 3 revenge trip against the guy who killed her mother is a fantastic example, she learns that the dude is now a simpering old man, and comes within a hair of killing him before realizing it would accomplish nothing. Yet she doesn't forgive him, she just leaves without a word and acknowledges that she really wanted to murder that guy. The gulf between letting past hurt go and embracing people who hurt you is a fantastic lesson, and one that I think would've been botched or oversimplified in another kids' show. Basically, check out AtLA

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've only seen bits and pieces of House years ago and my impression was that he was the smart rear end in a top hat trope. I had no interest in seeing more of it as I'm generally against things that endorse the belief that it's ok to be terrible to people as long as you think know that you are smarter than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Krispy Wafer posted:

He's Dr. Cox except House tries to portray that as a good thing, whereas Scrubs was pretty clear that Cox's assholishness was actually holding him back.