Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol this cover is totally a self insert by Michael Whelan, he has a great sense of humor and would do that occasionally when he could get away with it. Here's he and his wife in another cover he did:

he's probably most famous for his covers for Anne McCaffrey but he has done them for a shitload of fantasy and sf books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Crabs!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

RBA Starblade posted:

If you haven't, go to wikipedia and read the description for Dr. Bloodmoney.

quote:

Meanwhile, Edie Keller's conjoined twin brother Bill, a sentient fetus within her body,

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the full prince charles, i see.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

RBA Starblade posted:

If you haven't, go to wikipedia and read the description for Dr. Bloodmoney.

that sure was a thing

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Either of these could be on a bitchin van

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Artist is Doug Beekman, who also did covers for the Conan comics

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Hell yeah that owns. You know what's funny is I wouldn't think it was as cool if it were like, a wizard with a laptop or an iPad - gotta be early 1980s big beige box (or older) tech to really resonate. Why I don't know, but it wouldn't belong on a van if he were like, in that same painting only with a tablet. Maybe it's because the whole rest of the aesthetic would have to change as well, hence the equivalent is like, Neo in the Matrix outfit or something

Anyway here's a good one. Guess she better hit whatever it is pretty fast 'cause I don't exactly see a stack of ammo anywhere for that thing

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Zetsubou-san posted:

Artist is Doug Beekman, who also did covers for the Conan comics

God, this is fantastic

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lord of Light has some fantastic covers.

https://i.imgur.com/hxGbBdh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3Of9UoI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HM00yQR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7VScBZJ.jpg

And some rad illustrations

https://i.imgur.com/X8HZJ15.jpg

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The second one and the illustrations have to be Jack Kirby.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They are. They're the ones involved in the Argo operation the CIA ran to smuggle people out of Iran during the Embassy Crisis of the late 70s.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5_GJOsbLrk

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
They did manga style cover illustrations for the Japanese release of all of the Honor Harrington novels. I was reading a bit about it and it seems a lot of fans prefer these because the character design/other stuff going on on the cover is more accurate to how things are described in the books.

The most :perfect: about them is how the later covers don't show her left arm.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

free hubcaps posted:

he's probably most famous for his covers for Anne McCaffrey but he has done them for a shitload of fantasy and sf books

Also got famous for actually bothering to read the books and make sure the people and stuff he drew for the cover matched the descriptions given in the text. Which was otherwise not the norm.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

that's a weird OnlyFans set...

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

That reminds me: Guess. Go on, guess

The Japanese cover of a Doctor Who novelization. Specifically, Spearhead from Space

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Japanese covers still tend towards illustrations which tend to be the best. US covers favor quick and dirty cgi jobs.

Check out the Japanese cover for IT:

While we're on illustrations though, one thing that does not get enough credit are the fake book covers made for In the Mouth of Madness (1995)

Blu-Ray alternate cover.

They made a whole series of them for the movie. These are the biggest I could find but if you bother to zoom or just squint you can read the backs. Not gonna lie I want to read every single loving one of these, particularly The Breathing Tunnel and Whisperer of the Dark.

In the movie itself they get good screen time, but you never get to read the back. The events of The Feeding and The Hobb's End Horror are directly referenced during the plot.

Still not the best movie, but these bits are definitely the highlight.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I've always really loved the paperback cover for The Worm Ouroboros

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

I've always really loved the paperback cover for The Worm Ouroboros

Man, that's a book that I never hear anyone talk about.

It's pre-Tolkein fantasy so the ideas in it are super weird.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Eddison is one of the actual greats of fantasy, too bad nobody reads him nowadays.

If you think TWO has weird ideas, try reading his other book(s), Zimiamvia. It’s bonkers

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I've only ever read TWO but it is seriously excellent. With the unfinished frame story I guess you could say its technically SF? Apparently the same guy who did the cover for that edition of TWO also did them for the zimianvia trilogy. guess i need to track these down.

something about this art just screams 60s fantasy (though i know they were written decades earlier) at me in the best possible way. I like the original dell yearling covers for the Prydain chronicles for the same reason I think

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

free hubcaps posted:

With the unfinished frame story I guess you could say its technically SF?

When he talks about the planet Mercury, he doesn’t exactly mean the Mercury in space. Zimiamvia will make it clearer...or maybe not

Anyway SF proper has no monopoly on fuckin sweet cover art

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

While not the cover I remembered, I like this one more, and after Steven Brust this was an early exposure to Zelazny before I read the Amber books.

The title absolutely grabbed me.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 7, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

These covers were done by Barbara Remington, who's better known for those weird early paperback versions of LotR:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Bell_ posted:

While not the cover I remembered, I like this one more, and after Steven Brust this was an early exposure to Zelazny before I read the Amber books.

Zelazny didn't like the title, but it's definitely much more evocative than the one he wanted to go with (The Leviathan of Venus).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bell_ posted:

She is lovely...
Meteoooooooooora

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

These covers were done by Barbara Remington, who's better known for those weird early paperback versions of LotR:

i unironically love these

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

free hubcaps posted:

i unironically love these

When I read LOTR in grade 7 it was these

I can't quite recall now, but I think the three covers are a triptych

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the genius of this cover is that the painter left a big, clear gap intended for the title etc, but whoëver did the layout decided to leave it empty and let the space ladies look/point right at the space sleigh. the empty space makes it look like a larger gulf is between the flying thing and the folks on the ground, and makes sure they flying thing doesnt look like an afterthought hovering above the words. plus its just eye-catching and cool

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

That cover's by Mitchell Hooks, who you might know from this

He also did a lot of pulp covers.

have an ebook cover for The Lani People that is firmly in the modern style

edit:

:allears:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 12, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This thread is amazing. It makes me wish I still had access to the guy I knew in high school who's whole family were giant nerds and they had a huge library of sci fi and fantasy going back to the 50s. Some of the covers on them were insane and amazing. He loved that I could perdict within 5 years of any book simply based on its cover. Like late 70s looked way different than the early 70s and so on.

Funny thing, his parents were cartographers which makes me wonder if that was one of those jobs nerds in the 50s and 60s ended up in before computers were a major thing. Seems like it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Which brain genius decided to put the company logo directly in the focal point of this? Come on, people. That poo poo belongs on the spine, if anywhere.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Saw this at the used book store in February and it reminded me of the cover of Steppenwolf i have

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DevCore posted:

that's a weird OnlyFans set...

Immediately reminded me of this:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

e:

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 19, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This was a crazy one to scroll down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Zetsubou-san posted:

have an ebook cover for The Lani People that is firmly in the modern style

The Anime Convention People.