Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Never buy a Beyerdynamic without a return policy, they get hype from people who haven't heard a lot of headphones and tend to be horribly overrated; their commonly recommended headphones are mostly their monitoring headphones, which all have varying degrees of hosed up treble spikes and a wonky tonality.

If part of what you didn't like about the K361 sound was that it sounded thin or hollow that's due to the tuning, the K361 has a sort of v-shaped tuning and you can see the mids are sort of scooped out; when looking at frequency response you can't tell exactly how something will sound, but it's a decent rough guideline, and what you want to look at is the raw frequency measurement on the left generally. By contrast, your HD555 have the typical Sennheiser tuning of nicely neutral mid-range with substantial bass roll-off, you can see that the bass just sort of falls off as it decends lower in frequency, which is the one real complaint I and most other people have with this tuning. If you did decide to try out Beyerdynamics, I'd avoid the DT770 as it sounds hosed up and is super fatiguing to listen to, while the DT880 is the closest to a neutral tune. Realistically since you already know you like the tuning of Sennheisers, the HD58X is basically a direct upgrade from what you have now which will retain the same general sound signature with a bit better bass and more clarity in sound; the HD6XX is another little step up from there in terms of sound detail and quality with again pretty similar tuning.

Frequency response graphs can't tell you what a headphone necessarily sounds like in total, but they can be useful for comparing two headphones assuming you are looking at measurements taken on the same rig.

tldr if you don't want to keep playing return roulette just get the Sennheisers

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wheeee posted:

If you did decide to try out Beyerdynamics, I'd avoid the DT770 as it sounds hosed up and is super fatiguing to listen to, while the DT880 is the closest to a neutral tune.

I'm not going to tell you your ears are wrong but that's very much a non-consensus opinion. The DT770 has been a studio standard for decades for a reason, especially the 80 ohm. The 880s are not exactly regarded as the stars of the line by anyone.

Beyers in general definitely do have a treble spike that can be polarizing, but "neutral" is a silly target to aim for. Nobody really wants neutral cans. Find something you like, not everyone else will like it and that's fine.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

The DT770 is a studio monitor, they're used for tracking and being able to identify recording issues, hence the treble spikes since that exposes a lot of issues and is what people confuse for "detail" in the sound; they're relatively cheap, sound okay, and are made of steel and recycled milk jug plastic so they last forever unless the brittle plastic bits holding the yokes to the cups breaks, so yea they've got a long history of popularity in that context.

For someone looking to buy some headphones for listening to music, they aren't terrible or anything and were recommended for so long because most closed-back headphones are just straight trash, but they are not tuned well nor are they technically particularly capable. The consensus opinion pimping the DT770 comes from people with relatively little experience for whom the DT770 represents the highest end poo poo they've heard or from people using them as actual studio monitors for whom the finer details of tuning don't actually matter, they are not well regarded in most headphone communities beyond being a decent budget pick, and with the advent of the K361/K371 there isn't much reason to consider the Beyerdynamics anymore unless there's comfort issues with the AKG being smaller and tighter.

I'm not posting this because I hate Beyerdynamics, I think they're fine, just fine, but as is typical on SA this is a very old thread and so ends up cycling the same advice over and over just because it's become the conventional wisdom. It's funny you mention the 880 not being regarded as the stars of the line by anyone when the long-running consensus among people with more experience tends to be the opposite, that the 880 is the closest one to actually being good.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wheeee posted:

I'm not posting this because I hate Beyerdynamics, I think they're fine, just fine, but as is typical on SA this is a very old thread and so ends up cycling the same advice over and over just because it's become the conventional wisdom. It's funny you mention the 880 not being regarded as the stars of the line by anyone when the long-running consensus among people with more experience tends to be the opposite, that the 880 is the closest one to actually being good.

Please stop posting as if your opinions are the only correct ones, backed by nebulous claims of "experience". Beyond the consumer level trash tier, headphones are a matter of taste, especially among head-fi "enthusiasts" who are quick to hop on the new hotness only to call it trash in three months anyway.

I'm not recommending DT770s because I haven't heard any other closed backs in their price range, I'm recommending them specifically because I have. If you have something you like better, say so and why.

e: also good lord the AKGs are wildly different headphones in both tuning and construction, I really wish you'd stop calling them a straight up replacement for the beyers. They're really, really not.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I have a pair of AKG K7XX (Massdrop vintage) and the bungee cord thingys? have wore to a limit where they cannot sustain position on the ear. What sort of Google term would result me in a replacement part in mail? I'm not native English speaker and in Northern Europe.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kivi posted:

I have a pair of AKG K7XX (Massdrop vintage) and the bungee cord thingys? have wore to a limit where they cannot sustain position on the ear. What sort of Google term would result me in a replacement part in mail? I'm not native English speaker and in Northern Europe.

I have the same problem with my Q701. I hear Harman makes replacements and also that you can make your own with things like hair ties.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

Never buy a Beyerdynamic without a return policy, they get hype from people who haven't heard a lot of headphones and tend to be horribly overrated; their commonly recommended headphones are mostly their monitoring headphones, which all have varying degrees of hosed up treble spikes and a wonky tonality.

If part of what you didn't like about the K361 sound was that it sounded thin or hollow that's due to the tuning, the K361 has a sort of v-shaped tuning and you can see the mids are sort of scooped out; when looking at frequency response you can't tell exactly how something will sound, but it's a decent rough guideline, and what you want to look at is the raw frequency measurement on the left generally. By contrast, your HD555 have the typical Sennheiser tuning of nicely neutral mid-range with substantial bass roll-off, you can see that the bass just sort of falls off as it decends lower in frequency, which is the one real complaint I and most other people have with this tuning. If you did decide to try out Beyerdynamics, I'd avoid the DT770 as it sounds hosed up and is super fatiguing to listen to, while the DT880 is the closest to a neutral tune. Realistically since you already know you like the tuning of Sennheisers, the HD58X is basically a direct upgrade from what you have now which will retain the same general sound signature with a bit better bass and more clarity in sound; the HD6XX is another little step up from there in terms of sound detail and quality with again pretty similar tuning.

Frequency response graphs can't tell you what a headphone necessarily sounds like in total, but they can be useful for comparing two headphones assuming you are looking at measurements taken on the same rig.

tldr if you don't want to keep playing return roulette just get the Sennheisers

Show us on the dolly where the DT990 treble spike touched you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
*Cries and points at ears*

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Show us on the dolly where the DT990 treble spike touched you.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Oh when I said F it about the 58X I meant not bothering with needing closed back and just go back to open back. Also as a bonus my wife's desk is no longer next to mine.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have to admit as an actual DT990 owner they completely put me off buying or even considering all other Beyer products for many years. I have an extreme love/hate relationship with them.

That being said I actually own a much more recent Beyer Custom One Pro Plus (I swear to God that is the actual product name) and after doing that ZMF ori pad swap myself with some of my spares they are actually really good. Very comfy. Smooth. No treble spike. Lots of bass.

I can see why people might be put off by some internet rando saying buy this plus buy that though. Especially when it's me and my red text fetish.

^^^ Sounds like you might be good then. The HD58X regardless of all other factors and things in the market is still a good value proposition with 25+ years of ergonomics in the frame.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I love it

I never get tired of this joke

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

DancingShade posted:

I have to admit as an actual DT990 owner they completely put me off buying or even considering all other Beyer products for many years. I have an extreme love/hate relationship with them.

That being said I actually own a much more recent Beyer Custom One Pro Plus (I swear to God that is the actual product name) and after doing that ZMF ori pad swap myself with some of my spares they are actually really good. Very comfy. Smooth. No treble spike. Lots of bass.

I can see why people might be put off by some internet rando saying buy this plus buy that though. Especially when it's me and my red text fetish.

^^^ Sounds like you might be good then. The HD58X regardless of all other factors and things in the market is still a good value proposition with 25+ years of ergonomics in the frame.

They extremely similar to the DT770 80ohm sound signature, but better because they have a detachable cable and you can adjust the bass port.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I ordered the 58x's, they should ship Tuesday or Wednesday, the site wasn't clear as it showed different dates depending on the page.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hey Goons

I've currently got a pair of Astro A50's that work great (battery life is going down, but I've had them for years with regular, daily use), but the microphone on it has turned to poo poo. It's one of those silly swing-up-to-mute things, and while the cans still work fine, the goddamn microphone falls down constantly and doesn't sit in a unusable position when it's down. So I'm looking to replace it in the near future. I'm looking for something that is wireless, circumnaural, fancy surround poo poo preferable, and has a not poo poo boom mic, preferably one that detaches, so it's not in the way when I'm just listening to music or whatever. If such a thing doesn't exist, I'll take a solid set of cans that I use for listening and just buy myself a half way proper microphone, like I've been intending to do. Budget wise I've got my tax refund to treat myself, so a $200~$300ish pretty reasonable.

Thanks in advance guys.

E: And if wireless like this isn't feasible, then I'll have to go wired, but with my dogs wireless anything is always better.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 30, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Disclaimer: I have not listened to these myself, simply a suggestion.

For a wireless gaming headset how about the Audio Technica ATH-G1WL?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Looking to grab some wireless earbuds, and they all advertise 5-6 hour battery life between charges. I want to use them at work, so they'd need to be charged at some point during, so my question is - can I listen to one headphone while the other charges, or do they both "turn off" when they're placed in the charger? Or would this depend on the brand?

Trying to find this specific information has been difficult so far, so I was hoping someone with some experience could let me know.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Looking to grab some wireless earbuds, and they all advertise 5-6 hour battery life between charges. I want to use them at work, so they'd need to be charged at some point during, so my question is - can I listen to one headphone while the other charges, or do they both "turn off" when they're placed in the charger? Or would this depend on the brand?

Trying to find this specific information has been difficult so far, so I was hoping someone with some experience could let me know.

Might depend on the brand.

Apple you can do that and 99% sure the beats pros can as well.

Guy at work has the Samsung ones and I swear I’ve seen him just use a single one to listen to stuff.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Fashionable Jorts posted:

These buds have 15 hour battery life and apparently decent sound quality:

https://www.engadget.com/2019-12-20-audio-technica-ath-cks5tw-true-wireless-earbuds-review.html

Otherwise you can always keep two pairs with you and switch out when they run out of battery life? I would go crazy just listening to one earbud, but I know that's a personal preference.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

space marine todd posted:

These buds have 15 hour battery life and apparently decent sound quality:

https://www.engadget.com/2019-12-20-audio-technica-ath-cks5tw-true-wireless-earbuds-review.html

Otherwise you can always keep two pairs with you and switch out when they run out of battery life? I would go crazy just listening to one earbud, but I know that's a personal preference.

Thats a good battery life, but they cost more than double of the ones I'm looking at grabbing (I'm wanting to spend under $100 Canadian). I have to be able to have one ear free when at work, so one headphone at a time is all I can do.

MarcusSA posted:

Might depend on the brand.

Apple you can do that and 99% sure the beats pros can as well.

Guy at work has the Samsung ones and I swear I’ve seen him just use a single one to listen to stuff.

alright, thanks for the info.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 31, 2020

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I want to get some Etymotics but I have an iPhone 8 and I haven't been able to figure out how to wear corded headphones without them getting caught on poo poo and getting destroyed / ruining my lightning port

Looks like they have Bluetooth units coming on the horizon, but in meantime I guess I'll get some Etymotic earplugs and a Bluetooth headset for music / phone calls

Any advice on what best route is for the (non-electronic) Etymotic plugs? I've never worn them and don't know my size, and based on past experiences w ear buds I may need different sizes left to right

I also would like a somewhat durable Bluetooth earbud headset, but I'm not sure which way to go there. I crawl around under poo poo at work a lot, so I don't want loose cords/buds to get dirty/broken/strangle me when caught in a machine

I see guys at some job sites wearing the kind where the buds come out of a "halo" around their neck. Those any good? I always see the buds dangling on shirt which isn't what I want, but I see some that seem to retain the buds in halo

Are there good (in terms of PPE) electronic earplugs that also have Bluetooth music/phone capability?

I do field service so smaller is always better unless that poo poo's gonna fly out of my ear

Don't really care about budget but I'm not an audiophile so whatever best bang for my buck is going to be will prob be route I take

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
How does the passive noise isolation of the Sennheiser HD 25 compare to the ANC of Bose QC 25/35s?

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Are there any bluetooth headphones out there that are not IEMs, have some sort of open design, and are under $50-ish that would be better than these Koss KSC35 Wireless ones for 100% podcast listening?

I'm a weirdo who has paid real money for wired Apple Earpods, off the shelf not bundled, three or four or five times over because it is my position that they are maybe the perfect wired at-home podcast headphones and all I listen to on my phone is podcasts. With Earpods, you can hear your wife yelling at you. They are comfortable enough to wear all day. And you can work on the car or whatever and if they snag or something and get busted, it's only $30 — which is what happened to my last pair.

I have bluetooth headphones but they are all IEMs to some extent and I only use them for commuting or the gym and they make my ears itch and I can't hear the yells from my wonderful, beautiful yelling wife. Also I don't know if I'm some sort of mutant, but I can hear bluetooth hiss in every bluetooth headphone I have ever put on so I've never spent more than $30 on them. I got my wife some $100 Jabras and tried those and the hiss was still there.

Airpods would have to be $50 for me to buy them every year or two. I could almost see spending real money if there were headphones with replaceable batteries but the hissing poo poo will always be a problem for me.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

How does the passive noise isolation of the Sennheiser HD 25 compare to the ANC of Bose QC 25/35s?

I'm curious about these too. Torn between getting my HD280 Pros refurbished ($55) or springing for the HD25 or HD25 Plus (to the get the coiled cable and whatnot). Would mostly use it for playing and recording bass and guitar. Any thoughts on whether it's worth the premium for the Plus? HD25's are $100 through June in celebration of their 25th anniversary by the way.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

nitsuga posted:

I'm curious about these too. Torn between getting my HD280 Pros refurbished ($55) or springing for the HD25 or HD25 Plus (to the get the coiled cable and whatnot). Would mostly use it for playing and recording bass and guitar. Any thoughts on whether it's worth the premium for the Plus? HD25's are $100 through June in celebration of their 25th anniversary by the way.

I can’t imagine buying the 280pro these days unless it’s for pure utility, minimal enjoyment. I haven’t heard them since 2006, but I found them pretty dull and the clamping force is vise-like. I think most people agree that the ATH-m50/m40 have replaced the 280 as the go-to “cheap but decent knockarounds for isolation that fold into a bag.”

The m50 isn’t my favorite at anything, and I find them claustrophobic, but I don’t really like closed headphones in general. I still keep a pair around for occasional use.

I do like the HD25, though that’s mostly based on professional use. They’ve fallen out of Internet-favor, but I think the 25 is still an ok choice.

They sound decent, and they’re very durable. People who wear them a lot, especially glasses-wearers complain about the on-ear cups getting uncomfortable. I like the velour pads more than the vinyl, but I’m not sure which version they ship with these days.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
How’s the noise isolation, though?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
y'all my new DAC is AMAZINGGGGGG

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
That a WASD CODE?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If it works, it works.

Despite spending reasonably large bucks on my prized Burson Playmate V6 Vivid last year my most commonly used DAC/AMP of 2020 is the audio jack on my MSI GE65 Raider laptop.

It's got a Sabre DAC (my favorite kind!) so who the hell am I to tell you what to enjoy? Enjoy whatever you have to hand to the max without shame or anything. Thank goodness for the modern trend of every increasingly efficient headphones that can be powered properly by a bee fart.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lazyhound posted:

I'd say it's better than the Bose for blocking conversation noise, worse for droning bus and airplane noise. They're definitely the most attenuating headphones I've ever used without ANC, and will never leave my portable rotation for how good they sound.

nitsuga posted:

Any thoughts on whether it's worth the premium for the Plus?

Definitely not, especially when they're selling the standard model for a hundo. That's an insane deal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Lowness 72 posted:

That a WASD CODE?

Indeed it is.

The PS4 controller thing was really meant as a joke. I was more surprised that my computer recognized it as sound device when I plugged it in to charge, than anything else.
But I mean it makes sense.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DancingShade posted:

If it works, it works.

Despite spending reasonably large bucks on my prized Burson Playmate V6 Vivid last year my most commonly used DAC/AMP of 2020 is the audio jack on my MSI GE65 Raider laptop.

It's got a Sabre DAC (my favorite kind!) so who the hell am I to tell you what to enjoy? Enjoy whatever you have to hand to the max without shame or anything. Thank goodness for the modern trend of every increasingly efficient headphones that can be powered properly by a bee fart.

I use my Sony EX1000s with the Apple USB-C Audio adapter.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, that Apple USB-C adapter should be the first recourse for people getting garbage sound out of their PC. It even works fine if you use a USB-C to USB-A adapter (which I know is illegal and against spec, but yolo. I’m using the one from monoprice)

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I wore my BL-03s after taking a shower and the right earpiece is super quiet, presumably wet. Left in front of the AC overnight and it's still about the same. Is there anything else worth trying for $35 IEMs or do I just have to replace them?

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

Lowness 72 posted:

So I'm seriously considering the RME ADI 2 DAC. Is there a recommended place to buy it? Any way to get a discount (trying to avoid that shop in the netherlands - worried about import duty)

I bought through Sweetwater Sound, and they're great guys in general. If you hit up one of the salesmen, they'll look through B stock and returns for you, too.

I cannot recommend the ADI 2 DAC strongly enough. I've had it since just after its release, and I haven't even cast a jealous eye on an amp or DAC since. It fits every need I've ever had, and sounds perfect to me. I'm not an EQ purist, though, I'll adjust things to my liking. Configurable crossfeed, their awesome loudness algorithm, and fully configurable everything made it my endgame.

Still reading this thread for true wireless updates and headphones, but for amps/DAC, I'm done.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

I think I'm looking for a unicorn.

* Generally neutral or midrange boosted - that thing with some headphones where the treble sounds like it's being played on a cymbal or someone is spitting in my ear is a dealbreaker. I've had good luck with Koss and my dying Sennheiser HD 231Gs that they don't make any more sound pretty good for a $20 headphone to me; there's a pair of Sony headphones in the office that are alright, but they're not letting us go in for another month or so I can't give a model #. I've listened to Beats solo and they sound muddy/too bass heavy if that helps.
* On-ear. In-ear drives me nuts, Over-ear is too isolating.
* Closed back
* Fits a large+ head.
* Bluetooth but works wired if needed
* Good battery life - 6 hrs would be way too short
* Mic that works well with a large head, preferably boom. I've looked on amazon where the microphone is an extra-plugin thing (e.g. plug the mic to the source, plug the headphone into the mic, mic has one extra R) but finding the intersection of good and cheap is a challenge there
* preferably 2-device pairable.
* sub-$100 if at all possible (the more sub the better)

Don't care about noise cancelling, and Wirecutter recommendations are a bit pricey and they tend to be a bit narrow minded in which brands they even try these days.

Any suggestions?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

thepopmonster posted:

Any suggestions?

Jesus no.

Bluetooth AND wired? Large Head Mode but on-ear? Inbuilt microphone? Sub-$100 and 6h+ battery life? No, you're just flat out unreasonable.

Only thing even close I can think of is a mini-XLR cable with a bluetooth adapter and having two adapters. I've got a head so large I just can't do beyerdynamics for example, so I'm probably gonna stay AKG K forever, but there on-ear vs over-ear... eeeh. They do do semi-closed backs though, which works okay for isolation... for me.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lol

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

kaschei posted:

I wore my BL-03s after taking a shower and the right earpiece is super quiet, presumably wet. Left in front of the AC overnight and it's still about the same. Is there anything else worth trying for $35 IEMs or do I just have to replace them?

The silver mesh filter in the nozzles has a black cloth-type layer on the back of the filter. I'd think that you've already given it enough time for all the moisture to evaporate by now, but I suppose it's possible that the black cloth may still be damp, or is preventing the moisture from escaping. You can take a sewing needle and pry out that mesh filter and give everything a chance to air out more fully, and then put it back into place. Or just try briefly listening to it with the mesh filter fully removed and see if it is still quieter, if the volume is back to normal that would point to the filter itself.

If the latter is true, you can buy bare metal grills like this as a replacement, you'd want a 4.0mm or 4.2mm size: https://www.amazon.com/Rubsy-Self-Adhesive-Earphones-Headphones-Anti-Dust/dp/B07WQ21C15. If you go down that road, the Blon is a bit brighter and loses a bit of that special sauce charm that comes from the warm tuning that goes along with the stock cloth backed filter. There is bit better detail retrieval though with the bare metal mesh filter.

Like you said though, the question remains as to whether it's worth going through all of that for a $35 IEM. I actually have been running my Blon with the bare replacement filters recently and they're still really good, just a bit different than the stock sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

endlessmonotony posted:

Jesus no.

Bluetooth AND wired? Large Head Mode but on-ear? Inbuilt microphone? Sub-$100 and 6h+ battery life? No, you're just flat out unreasonable.

Only thing even close I can think of is a mini-XLR cable with a bluetooth adapter and having two adapters. I've got a head so large I just can't do beyerdynamics for example, so I'm probably gonna stay AKG K forever, but there on-ear vs over-ear... eeeh. They do do semi-closed backs though, which works okay for isolation... for me.

Bluetooth (hopefully dual-paired) or wired, not both simultaneously. Take, for example, the JBL 400BT: https://www.jbl.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dw0ed398ab/pdfs/JBL_Live400BT_Spec_Sheet_English.pdf

On-ear, work as wired or bluetooth, sub-100 msrp ($60 at the moment), does 2 device pairing, tested (new battery, of course) at 24+ hours for music playback. Supports an external mic in some shape - looks like a standard 3.5mm. Reviews say that they are kind-of tight for large head sizes (if wikipedia and measuring my own head breadth can be trusted I'm c. 95th percentile) and it doesn't have any of the hires codecs for bluetooth - the couple of reviews I looked at class the sound as "not bad for the price" or "better than you'd think from JBL", so without being able to try them on and listen they're a "surely there's something better" choice.

But, yes, I think I might have to up my limit a bit and/or exempt the external mic to get what I want.