Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

monsterzero posted:

I'm there. Doing two driveway H6 swaps in an Outback (one self-inflicted and un-needed) in a month killed part of me*. I bought a Camry Hybrid and I'm a boat guy now. Plenty to fix that still hits the right part of my brain, and now I have another place to drink beer with my fat buddies and hopefully do some 6mph racing.

I do the boat thing too. I've always heard that sailboat racing is the most fun you can have at the speed of a light jog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's surprisingly exciting. Especially the starts.

Imagine you're at a race track and they grid three classes at the same time: motorcycles, production sports cars and demolition derby candidates. They start separately from biggest to smallest. None of these vehicles have brakes or are capable of stopping so everyone is just making loops roughly perpendicular to the start line waiting for their class signals.
The goal is to cross the line at full speed the second the light goes green, so the second the yellow light goes on you start racing/fighting through the rest of fleet to start on the best line possible.
It's wild and I'm terrified to be on the helm when the world opens back up again.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

koollook124 posted:

That has quickly become my favorite YouTube channel. He’s always calm, humble and very informative. I really much prefer working on small engines these days or a car I’m really familiar with. If I’m in a short timeframe to get a car up and running it’s not enjoyable though too, so some times if you have older cars having an extra for a certain function is nice or just doing a lot of planning.

His channel is so good for the reasons you mentioned. No typical youtube poo poo, just chilling in the garage wrenching with him.

The choke spring was $4 and a complete carb set with gaskets, fuel line, choke and governor springs was $12 so I sprung for that. Popped it all on and started right up today. Trying to decide if I'll sell this one or my current mower. This one is definitely nicer since its self propelled but would sell for more and my yard isn't that big.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

When the MS6 exploded on me it was nothing but a huge headache and just reaffirmed that I was done with that poo poo. I'd rather just pay people to fix my poo poo these days.
I'm there with you on for the daily driver but I still like having projects. Old truck usually has something that can use attention, usually not even something that would keep it from driving. Race car always needs something so I can always go down to the basement and tinker with something. It's my stress release and way to get my mind off things. I'd go crazy, and drive my wife crazy, if I didn't have projects.

Spent a couple hours measuring things and playing with layout ideas on floorplanner.com yesterday. Then realized I could solve all my problems by selling the Lola project I've been meaning to sell for six months.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

monsterzero posted:

I'm there. Doing two driveway H6 swaps in an Outback (one self-inflicted and un-needed) in a month killed part of me*.

Same. Three transmission swaps in as many months on my 1991 Volvo 240 Classic Wagon (drat transmission cooling line in the radiator had a leak... never checked it because I didn't know there was a cooler in the radiator...) did the same thing to me, although I did pull and rebuild the motor for the next car I bought (1987 Toyota FX16). Now I have Hondas and they respond very well to a preventative maintenance schedule established in part by BMW-induced PTSD suffered in my early twenties.

monsterzero posted:

*It'll come back if I ever have a room for a 100% toy car.

This too.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
If we don’t have a sailboat racing thread, we need one.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Uh, the Nautical Insanity thread is about it- but it's a struggle to keep the stink-potters down and the thread out of the archive.

So I'm pretty happy with my cut down workbench:

And you can probably tell that I like bins. With more of my projects happening away from home I started packing tools and materials into 12gal flip top totes. I found they're really well sized, able to fit bulky objects but still small enough that they don't become too difficult to lift when loaded. I've been picking up one or two every trip to Costco, and replacing and consolidating all the cardboard boxes that were scattered around the garage.

I've also started to organize all my spare hardware and fasteners. I'm telling myself that I'm not a hoarder if it goes in a bin, so I've been organizing all the little stuff into shoebox size containers. Those are recursive, and are full smaller bins that I use to separate out the related but distinct materials. It's hardly elegant, but it's kind of working on the strength of being easy to put away the one good piece of organizational advice I've heard in years, gently caress all the spark joy nonsense. Nothing in this world brings me joy, but all this poo poo in my garage might save me from having to waste an hour going to the store for a fifteen-cent piece of hardware.

I probably own every organization product that Harbor Freight has ever sold short of the giant Racks-of-Bins and hate them all for different reasons: too big, too small, oddly shaped, dumps contents onto floor when looked at askew. If you've got a system for all of the 'extra' hardware that accumulates I'd love to see what you're doing.

If you just throw the extra hardware away and purchase what you need when you need it please feel free to emptyquote the following smile:

:smug:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

If we don’t have a sailboat racing thread, we need one.

I got a chance to stay on a 90ft Swan that races and that whole world is crazy. Sounds like a lot of fun both during and especially after the races though.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
IME regatta means camping with the boomer versions of goons, yours sounds nice tho

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

monsterzero posted:

IME regatta means camping with the boomer versions of goons, yours sounds nice tho

Ya sailboat racing is a fun mix of ingenious DIY maker types and rich douchebags. Some day I’m gonna have the time/money to get my boat (Santa Cruz 50) set up to do a Transpac/Pac Cup.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Anyone have a wall mount shop vac they can recommend?

Recently I got rid of my rental 3 car at a garage club and picked up a new house with a detached garage. It’s pretty big and strangely shaped due to township rules.

Absolutely love having dedicated areas for fabrication, wrenching, and storage. My only wish would be real stairs up to the loft, and that it wasn’t white because it’s dirty already.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

tehk posted:

Nice shop. I'm still partial to my vac/cart rig. The vac itself is intended to be wall hung and has a small hose that IMO is ideal for automotive work, if you don't like the cart part. It has a wall bracket and easily pops off for mobile use

angryrobots posted:

I bought that small shop vac with the wall bracket, and decided to do something different with it-

Y'all will probably say that's dumb, should have just gotten one on wheels, but I really didn't want something else to add clutter on the floor, that's why I wanted the wall hanger to start with. I always have my shop cart when working on something, and a lot of the time I want a vacuum (clean crap that was under engine cover, etc). If it doesn't work out, it was only 10 minutes wasted but I think it's pretty sweet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have a vacmaster wall mount. Love the vacuum but hate the wallmount, I wish I had gotten a regular one instead.

Edit: vac cart is cool

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Droolin' over that shop.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

tehk posted:

Recently I got rid of my rental 3 car at a garage club and picked up a new house with a detached garage. It’s pretty big and strangely shaped due to township rules.

Absolutely love having dedicated areas for fabrication, wrenching, and storage. My only wish would be real stairs up to the loft, and that it wasn’t white because it’s dirty already.

You're back! That shop is awesome. Deets on the Camaro?

White is best for lighting, but I hear you about the dirt. It'll just turn a dull grey with handprints soon enough.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

sharkytm posted:

You're back! That shop is awesome. Deets on the Camaro?

Thanks. Here is a album of it. It is a tube chassis, 9 inch four link, 427 cubic inch LS all billet except block which is a dart high density block, and it has turbos ranging from 106mm to 125mm. Good for 2500+HP and it’s gonna be a methanol powered street car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The first thing I noticed in your shop pics was a giant turbo. Nice

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Charles posted:

The first thing I noticed in your shop pics was a giant turbo. Nice

There was a shop in those pics? I thought it was a photo of a lovely turbo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

tehk posted:

Thanks. Here is a album of it. It is a tube chassis, 9 inch four link, 427 cubic inch LS all billet except block which is a dart high density block, and it has turbos ranging from 106mm to 125mm. Good for 2500+HP and it’s gonna be a methanol powered street car.

I remember when you bought it and had to give up on the hater-bait S2K. I keep photos of that around to show people what insanity looks like.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Powers posted:

There was a shop in those pics? I thought it was a photo of a lovely turbo.

I think it's turbos

Edit: welp maybe I'm wrong

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 17, 2020

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

I think it's turbos

Edit: welp maybe I'm wrong

Uh actually it’s radiators

It was twin turbo tho

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Anyone ever encounter a rotatable table? Love to mount a belt sander, my swag off-road portaband, and bench grinder. Really running out of machine space with the bead roller and hydraulic tube bender I lasered.

Something like this

tehk fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 21, 2020

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Rad, all it needs now is a shiny metal rear end for you to bite.

That rotating table is interesting. Do you tip the whole thing?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It took me a minute, the center section rotates. See the triangle below? Table saw on one side, chop saw on the other. I assume the left and right top panels come out during rotating.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Waiting for Project Binky motorized version.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Gentlemen,

It begins.

frrtbkr
Apr 25, 2004
thek: holy smokes, nice setup!

Crunchy what’s the “50” grille badge?

I’ve been packing up my junk and finally got access to the garages today. Should be in the house Friday night. You can see the new service mast up on the right corner of the roof but I’m still waiting on the garage meter to get the cut in half water jug replaced with a glass cover by National Grid.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

frrtbkr posted:

thek: holy smokes, nice setup!

I’ve been packing up my junk and finally got access to the garages today. Should be in the house Friday night. You can see the new service mast up on the right corner of the roof but I’m still waiting on the garage meter to get the cut in half water jug replaced with a glass cover by National Grid.

When your garage footprint is bigger than the house's, you're doing it right. Are you going to open up any of the bays, or leave them as individual? Renting any out? Seems like a ton of possibilities with something like that.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

frrtbkr posted:

I won part of the purchase price of the car through the BMW CCA raffle by doing their, "buy 10 tickets, get a grille badge" scheme. It only seemed right that I put it on the car. 50 = 50 years of the BMW Car Club of America. Looks like they just put the new vehicles for this year up! https://www.bmwcca.org/raffle

e: here's the full thing

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 27, 2020

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Any of you guys with 2-post lifts have brand or model suggestions? The folks' architect is asking for exact specs and I've been crazy busy/behind on research. I don't need insane weight capacity, will largely be lifting my 2014 Rubicon at ~5000lbs, my friends' tacomas/colorados etc.

Looking at Atlas baseplate models currently, they seem well received.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

We have tons and tons of Rotary 2 post lifts at work. Not sure how they compare to others but are easy to operate and I don't see them going down for maintenance or repair often.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Four post with a bridge now, but I’ve had a few different two post lifts and for budget consumer I had a good experience with bendpak. Hated the DanMars I’ve had.

All that said if I could do it over I’d save up the 8k to get a challenger inground two cylinder style lift. Nothing I hate more than post. Especially two posts. My four post are usually out of the way but two are always where I want them the least.

That said I like the ease of the four post and bridge for fabricating and general maintenance over a two post and aligning lifting pads on a dirty floor with a lowered car. Easy to just roll on and go and you can store stuff under the car as well

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Crunchy Black posted:

I won part of the purchase price of the car through the BMW CCA raffle by doing their, "buy 10 tickets, get a grille badge" scheme. It only seemed right that I put it on the car. 50 = 50 years of the BMW Car Club of America. Looks like they just put the new vehicles for this year up! https://www.bmwcca.org/raffle

e: here's the full thing

I need to replace mine soon, I have several from different raffle years. The kidney on the E90 was a lot easier to get out. And next time I'm going to trim that bolt, I'm sure the dealer loved that when they did the radiator under warranty. Also, mine's clearly caught a few rocks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

tehk posted:

All that said if I could do it over I’d save up the 8k to get a challenger inground two cylinder style lift. Nothing I hate more than post. Especially two posts. My four post are usually out of the way but two are always where I want them the least.

Everyone's first question when they come in my shop is "why don't you have a lift" and they look at me like I'm crazy when I say it would be in the way all the time.

Like, busting out the creeper or cardboard isn't that big of a deal? I also want the in-ground lift but it's gonna have to wait for other more pressing ( :dadjoke: ) projects.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Alarbus posted:

I need to replace mine soon, I have several from different raffle years. The kidney on the E90 was a lot easier to get out. And next time I'm going to trim that bolt, I'm sure the dealer loved that when they did the radiator under warranty. Also, mine's clearly caught a few rocks.

I did mine by hand because I don't even want to think about what's involved in getting the f87 kidney out haha

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Electrician is putting a workbench outlet into my garage currently so now I'm asking for thoughts on preferred LED bench lighting. I am looking for something I'd plug in, mount to the wall/pegboard area, and then have some arm adjust-ability to move the light around.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I've been browsing through various rental sites lately, looking to downsize and cut some expenses since the economy is kind of screwed right now, and then I see this

The want is very very real. Wouldn't even be a longer commute to work.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That's all I want in life. I've been working towards getting land and doing just that for years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Someone posted a fire hall that was for sale which was even zoned residential. That would be the ultimate dude pad. Paying to heat it in a Canadian winter would have sucked though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

slidebite posted:

Someone posted a fire hall that was for sale which was even zoned residential. That would be the ultimate dude pad. Paying to heat it in a Canadian winter would have sucked though.

Hopefully the bays would be on another system and insulated from the living quarters but STILL I think you're right.

This thread reminds me I need to text my electrician to get out here and finish the garage lighting work.