Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
DBZ was never A Thing where I'm from when I was young, I mean I'm sure anime nerds watched it but I was born in 89 and had not grown up enough to be an anime nerd at the time. Pokemon was it as far as kids TV went. By the time I entered my anime nerd teenhood, it was all Naruto and Bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I have never seen a second of Dragon Ball Z that was not a DBZA edit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you should change that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah all of my friends knew of DBZ and most watched it sporadically when it was on Toonami, but none of us were really hugely into it in the same way we absolutely were into Bleach or Naruto. The History of Trunks is also a terrible first exposure to the series since it's pretty heavily built around the idea that the audience is already aware of and invested in the primary cast.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Insurrectionist posted:

DBZ was never A Thing where I'm from when I was young, I mean I'm sure anime nerds watched it but I was born in 89 and had not grown up enough to be an anime nerd at the time. Pokemon was it as far as kids TV went. By the time I entered my anime nerd teenhood, it was all Naruto and Bleach.

Really? Did you not have cartoon network as a kid? I'm pretty close to you in age, and my first exposure to DBZ (and anime in general) was watching CN/toonami in the late 90s

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Even knowing nothing about DBZ, Chuck should watch BROLY, because it's a loving spectacle even if you're completely lost.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Jenny Nicholson on a most pressing matter; the ranking of the Land Before Time movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8zmGr0geQ

how were there 14 of these

the last one was in 2016 what the gently caress

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually find most of the DBZ movies to be pretty bad but I find their FUNimation dubs absolutely hilarious because the movies are full to the brim with out of place metal music

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Insurrectionist posted:

Are you from the US? Because I was born in 92, and everyone I knew grew up watching DBZ on Toonami, anime nerd or not.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

some people have different life experiences than you do

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arcsquad12 posted:

I actually find most of the DBZ movies to be pretty bad but I find their FUNimation dubs absolutely hilarious because the movies are full to the brim with out of place metal music

The Faulconer score loving slaps and Yamamoto plagiarized a bunch of the original music, so points go to Funimation in my book.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Beefstew posted:

Even knowing nothing about DBZ, Chuck should watch BROLY, because it's a loving spectacle even if you're completely lost.

Just for the people with 0 knowledge.
Watch Dragonball Super: BROLY, not the DBZ Broly movies.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jamie Faith posted:

Really? Did you not have cartoon network as a kid? I'm pretty close to you in age, and my first exposure to DBZ (and anime in general) was watching CN/toonami in the late 90s

Nah, DBZ never aired in my country at all, our version of CN didn't have it (or anything Toonami for that matter). Wouldn't have helped since we didn't have CN anyway but still! I did watch a lot of CN stuff at my grandparents.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I recommend watching dbz Kai in 4-5 episode chunks alongside the fairly anime-unfamiliar duo of jeff gerstmann and dan ryckert in all systems goku. It's amazing seeing their reactions to the poo poo that goes on in dbz and jeff's Vegeta voice is the best.

Also the running gag of them both either mispronouncing or properly pronouncing frieza's name is the best

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Crocoswine posted:

Yeah I grew up watching it on YTV

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
If you lived in the US, DBZ was perfect because it aired after school, was a melodramatic soap opera about superpowered people fighting in flashy ways, and the whole series ran on Toonami multiple times. I still knew people who didn't watch it though. One of my friends refused to watch it because he couldn't handle how often the characters would just kind of stand still, shake, and go "augh... ugh... uh uh augh..." I don't forgive him for this, though.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I don't think it aired on tv in the UK, or if it did it would have been on cable/satellite which I didn't get until later.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Arcsquad12 posted:

I feel the exact opposite. I love DBZ movies because they have all the dbz action I know and love without the horrible pacing and don't take 90 episodes to finish a single fight. They're straight forward and to the point. Plus Piccolo fighting Cooler's henchman to Falling Down by Breaking Point unironically owns

Sydin posted:

The Faulconer score loving slaps and Yamamoto plagiarized a bunch of the original music, so points go to Funimation in my book.

Faulconer gang rise up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sydin posted:

Yamamoto was the plagiarist composer for Kai, right? Did he also do Ginyu Tokusentai? That sing rocks. The Faulconer score was good and I even like the edgelord OP of the ocean dub.

But what I'm talking about is the licensed buttrock music they put in the movies, not the tv show. It's as out of place as the music in the fatal fury movies and I love how bad it is.

At least in the movies Piccolo is allowed to kick rear end as he plows through the minion brigade.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Crocoswine posted:

hosed up if true

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Kid me just watched actual trashy soaps after school for some reason? I have no idea why. I've never had any interest in them or similar media before or since, but for about a year 11 year old me would put on fuckin' Passions and watch it for witch grandma with a cat or whatever the gently caress was going on there (I can't remember poo poo about it). Why did I choose to only spend my early afternoons at friends or playing games 70% of the time and do this the other 30%? gently caress if I know! Thankfully it was a relatively brief experience that did not scar me for life, probably.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Faulconer score had some really great tracks, the main issue with the original dubs is that there can never be silent moments. DBZ isn't a very serious/deep show at all but in the few darker or more serious moments you always had loud music playing.

The SSJ3 and Super Vegeta themes though, drat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yamamoto was the plagiarist composer for Kai, right? Did he also do Ginyu Tokusentai? That sing rocks. The Faulconer score was good and I even like the edgelord OP of the ocean dub.

But what I'm talking about is the licensed buttrock music they put in the movies, not the tv show. It's as out of place as the music in the fatal fury movies and I love how bad it is.

At least in the movies Piccolo is allowed to kick rear end as he plows through the minion brigade.

No Tokusentai was Kikuchi.

And yeah I was watching the Trunks video posted and holy poo poo that loving buttrock. I completely forgot about that. Peak 90's "we gotta pump up the edginess for the kidz" energy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Insurrectionist posted:

Kid me just watched actual trashy soaps after school for some reason?

Yeah it's fine I watched Gundam Seed too.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
My first exposure to Dragon Ball Z was the Buu arc on Cartoon Network and I just kind of rolled with it. I distinctly remember the first thing I saw being Gohan vaporizing Cell and just seeing it as setting the stage for Gohan's further adventures, though I knew Goku was the main character and wasn't surprised when he took over again. It also sailed over my head that Piccolo used to be a villain, though I definitely didn't have that problem with Vegeta.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

As someone who knows way, way too much about Dragon Ball Z, I can coincidentally say;

There is no reason to know even half as much about dragon ball z as I do. Please someone save me from this DBZ information that refuses to leave my brain

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of these days I'm gonna throw money at Chuck to review the 90s tv series Millenium. That show ruled and would be a better fit for him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Supersonic Shine posted:

My first exposure to Dragon Ball Z was the Buu arc on Cartoon Network and I just kind of rolled with it. I distinctly remember the first thing I saw being Gohan vaporizing Cell and just seeing it as setting the stage for Gohan's further adventures, though I knew Goku was the main character and wasn't surprised when he took over again. It also sailed over my head that Piccolo used to be a villain, though I definitely didn't have that problem with Vegeta.

I knew of DBZ but my first real exposure to it was working at a comic store and listening to people come in and talk about it in almost the exact same way my grandmother and her friends would about their stories.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sydin posted:

Yamamoto was the composer for DBZ Kai and a bunch of the video games, Kikuchi was the original composer of Dragon Ball and didn't plagiarize anything

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Jenny Nicholson on a most pressing matter; the ranking of the Land Before Time movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8zmGr0geQ

The dinosaur afterlife sure is filled with adventure. 14 of them, in fact.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Insurrectionist posted:

Kid me just watched actual trashy soaps after school for some reason? I have no idea why. I've never had any interest in them or similar media before or since, but for about a year 11 year old me would put on fuckin' Passions and watch it for witch grandma with a cat or whatever the gently caress was going on there (I can't remember poo poo about it). Why did I choose to only spend my early afternoons at friends or playing games 70% of the time and do this the other 30%? gently caress if I know! Thankfully it was a relatively brief experience that did not scar me for life, probably.

It's been over a decade since last time I heard it but I still remember the passions theme.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Bakeneko posted:

I don't think it aired on tv in the UK, or if it did it would have been on cable/satellite which I didn't get until later.

Oh it aired alright. With the canadian dub instead I wager.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sydin posted:

No Tokusentai was Kikuchi.

And yeah I was watching the Trunks video posted and holy poo poo that loving buttrock. I completely forgot about that. Peak 90's "we gotta pump up the edginess for the kidz" energy.

So help me out here, because DBZ music is almost as convoluted as the history of DBZ English dubs. Kikuchi was the guy who did the original music for the show in its initial 80s-90s run. The FUNimation score was done by Bruce Faulconer. The Kai score was originally done by Yamamoto but when he was caught plagiarizing he was replaced with Kikuchi. Did Kikuchi write new music for Kai or did they only reuse his original music?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

DeafNote posted:

Oh it aired alright. With the canadian dub instead I wager.
Yeah it was on cartoon network/toonami so you needed sky or cable to watch it.

And yeah we got the Ocean dub but I swear all the voices changed like halfway through the Sayian Saga so I guess we got the funi one eventually? Could be misremembering. I deffo remember seeing some of the "Big Green" dubbed movies on there too.

That short arc in Super where they brought in the Ocean Vegeta to voice the evil goo clone blew my mind. so weird to hear such a radically different voice but have my brain go "yep thats definitely what Vegita sounds like" after so many years.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

FuturePastNow posted:

I have never seen a second of Dragon Ball Z that was not a DBZA edit

same, and my life is better for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah it was on cartoon network/toonami so you needed sky or cable to watch it.

And yeah we got the Ocean dub but I swear all the voices changed like halfway through the Sayian Saga so I guess we got the funi one eventually? Could be misremembering. I deffo remember seeing some of the "Big Green" dubbed movies on there too.

That short arc in Super where they brought in the Ocean Vegeta to voice the evil goo clone blew my mind. so weird to hear such a radically different voice but have my brain go "yep thats definitely what Vegita sounds like" after so many years.

Watch Phelous's video on the big green dub of The World's Strongest. He lays out what an absolutely bizarre and confusing mess the dubbing process was for DBZ before FUNimation became the de facto dub.

When ocean went back to finish dubbing the show a lot of the original cast didn't come back and got recast. It's bizarre. I do think that Kirby Morrow is actually a really good Goku in the Buu arc, and Scott McNeil is way better as Buu himself.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Peter Kelamis is the greatest Goku of all time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Despite the terrible big green dub I do think big green Goku could be quite good if he had a better script and direction.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I've never heard these ocean dub voices before (I knew the ocean dub existed, but this is my first time hearing the voices) As someone who grew up with the funi dubs, it's so trippy. It's like peering into some alternate reality where funi casted other people for their dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some of the ocean voices are superior but overall FUNimation is the better dub. The Ginyu Force, Nappa, Buu and villain Vegeta are better than the funi voices imo, while others are a matter of taste. Ocean Krillin is such a weird take on the character but the actor makes it work.