Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

The real failure here is the rich have managed to sell what remains of the middle class and wide swathes of the right-leaning working poor on the idea of everyone being a temporarily embarrassed millionaire, so enough of the population thinks they have a real shot at becoming wealthy themselves they don't and want policies that favor the rich to still be in place when they receive their millions.

People are greedy money grubbers even when they have no money go figure....But I could win the lottery someday and I don't want the government to take my pretend millions!!

CommieGIR posted:

Frankly, this protesting should've happened sooner.

Agreed but now the protesting has turned into looting the local Target, great job people :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Ukraine came with its own issues, however making GBS threads on the poor and minorities wasn't one of them. I didn't move there as it is illegal to bribe foreign officials as a U.S. citizen. Our elected may choose to not abide by their own governing rules. Doesn't mean I'm going to do this too. Either that or have a couple hundred thousand Euros around for residency. I lived there for a while a few years ago to get the gist of what life was like.

Also fwiw, I got my wish of moving to Ukraine without actually having to move anywhere.
I absolutely would travel to Hong Kong. The only places I wouldn't go right now would be Turkey, North Korea, or Russia.

Ukraine was my third and final attempt at divorcing this country. I'm gonna settle into the PNW or maybe move back to Alaska.

Background and perspective is a lot of it.
I've lived in 8 states, and have traveled to 47, also growing up as a dirt-poor first-gen-off-the-boat kid in rural areas. As a youngster the experience forever tarnished my view of this place. The same brush is more or less the same dull color no matter where. Sure there's peaks and valleys. Hate is still hate.

i'm not getting into my childhood on this forum.
I was fired 12 years ago in CA after getting outed in an auto shop. Prior to that in the south I almost lost a job in a factory over the same thing. Its not something I wear on my sleeve and what I stick my dick in is irrelevant to my capabilities as a worker. Yet in the atmospheres of those two areas loose jokes get thrown around and jokes can get out of hand fast. And next thing you know, you're outed in a hostile atmosphere.
In the Rover shop I had to fire a few customers that had issues with my sexuality or the fact I'm not born on the motherland. Though that was in the south yet again.
Even the "liberal bastion" that is the San Francisco bay area is not without its own problems. There's an undertone of racism and elitism here. Follow the policies that the elected put into play.

People at a shallow level generally are kind and mean well. Run with that.
On a happier note, this country has some absolutely beautiful scenery.

I got a job offer in Ukraine recently, was sorely tempted. We've still got valid visa's to Germany and my current company offered to keep me of on if we moved overseas.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Agreed but now the protesting has turned into looting the local Target, great job people :cripes:

Looting is part of that outpouring of outrage, and its worth noting that Target is a test store for targeting poor people:

https://twitter.com/IanColdwater/status/1265867904844693505?s=20

If companies do not also feel the pinch to drive change, since ultimately in this country they are often the arbiter's of change in our lovely Capitalistic system, then change won't happen.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 28, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Looting is part of that outpouring of outrage, and its worth noting that Target is a test store for targeting poor people:

https://twitter.com/IanColdwater/status/1265867904844693505?s=20

Wow I've never even heard of such a thing. Unbelievable but not surprising at the same time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

meatpimp posted:

I like Tremek's reminder, but also keep in mind that he speaks from the same privilege that a lot of us do. Not that privilege is a bad thing, but it's something that is critical to context.

I am an older, white, educated, suburban male. Every qualifier in that description allots a respect from "the system" that those without that qualifier aren't extended. I could do one hell of a lot of things directly in front of a police officer that would get me a (perhaps stern) warning, where others would be stopped, searched, and put under a microscope.

Again, there's nothing wrong with what I am, but I absolutely cannot stand that our "leadership" fits the same demographic criteria that I used to define myself, yet they choose to ignore the privilege and act like they built their lives from the ground up. And that's bullshit. And that's old. And we need a real change in leadership to represent the people that we are now, not what the old white guys want it to be.

This is true, and I agree. It's awful how our country's leadership isn't reflective of the actual population. (and of course when someone who is more reflective of population like AOC gets elected, that's a sign of end times) I am focused on "don't give up" part of message rather than "other places bad/worse"

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, this year's primary really confirmed that the Democratic party is owned by a different set of oligarchs that support socially liberal policies, as long as those policies don't effect their own bottom line. We were let down pretty hard by a constitution that promotes a bicameral system, I think. I'll always hold out hope that we can right the ship, but I dunno if I'll see it in my lifetime, things like socialized healthcare and free higher education (at least for some), are not optional for a wealthy first-world country, IMO.

Our two party system is hosed and slowing progress but the primary results weren't completely negative. Bernie, Yang, and Warren did help drag the dnc to the left. Biden is at least talking up things he would have made fun of if not for all the votes Bernie got. The dnc is not good but ultimately the people that actually voted picked Biden. As always we need young people to loving vote and as always they went 'meh' and let the Olds handle it. Short of mandatory voting that's probably not going to change.

Corona is at least making social policies much more appealing to many people. Positive change isn't going to happen as quickly as we want but it will happen.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

One thing I found interesting is The Lincoln Project, where a bunch of Republicans who are actually focused on the rule of law are working to get rid of Trump. A number of law professors I follow on twitter support it, but how much it good it will do remains to be seen. I know they've spent money wisely so far by running an ad just in Washington where they knew Trump would see it, but as far as I can tell the majority of Republicans in office won't speak out against Trump's abuses of power because they fear angering his base and getting reelected is their primary focus.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1265962113765384193?s=20

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Galler posted:

Corona is at least making social policies much more appealing to many people.

is it really though? i am seeing a bunch of slackjawed arfcom yokels braying about their freedoms while cosplaying

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
but muh rights

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hauled this from Vancouver to Grande Prairie. God drat are the scale mermaids a bunch of arrogant cocksuckers. Wasted 3 hours of time as they claimed it was an overweight commercial load even though it was well underweight and a private move for personal use. Sucks when you have to teach these losers what their own laws are.

It's a Komatsu 75 so it only weights around 17,000lbs. Averaged around 8mpg for the trip back through the Rockies.

Edit: for those wondering, it was $8k cdn for the komat 75 (with a hydraulic leak), a Moffat tailgate forklift and a 10k lb gravel dump trailer. Well worth the 2200km drive and 2 pickups to haul it all. We were considering renting a step deck 53' trailer and hauling it all with the 389 Pete or my Volvo but insurance is LOL expensive and the roads into the pickup location are really tight and twisty. We needed to block the oncoming lane with that 30' goose. A bigger trailer might've been impossible.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 28, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is it really though? i am seeing a bunch of slackjawed arfcom yokels braying about their freedoms while cosplaying

There are plenty of knuckle dragging troglodytes out there screeching at the top of their lungs but that doesn't mean they're the majority. Most people just go about their lives more or less oblivious to what's going on around them but the pandemic is hard to ignore. There are a lot of people with good jobs that are getting laid off and are having to experience social services for the first time. Even more people are watching friends go through that. The fact that a whole bunch of people are making more money being unemployed then when they were working is getting some gears turning. That, in my opinion, is a big part of why the GOP wants reopen 'the economy' and stop the extra unemployment funding.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

jonathan posted:

Edit: for those wondering, it was $8k cdn for the komat 75 (with a hydraulic leak), a Moffat tailgate forklift and a 10k lb gravel dump trailer. Well worth the 2200km drive and 2 pickups to haul it all. We were considering renting a step deck 53' trailer and hauling it all with the 389 Pete or my Volvo but insurance is LOL expensive and the roads into the pickup location are really tight and twisty. We needed to block the oncoming lane with that 30' goose. A bigger trailer might've been impossible.

That seems like a hella good deal for a serious piece of equipment, but I know fuckall about heavy equipment prices.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wrar posted:

That seems like a hella good deal for a serious piece of equipment, but I know fuckall about heavy equipment prices.

depends on how much is wrong with it, hours, how bad it's been abused, etc. that is definitely quite cheap for a PC75, but cheap used equipment can be very expensive.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The PO fuckery on heavy equipment can be pretty incredible and part prices can be absurd. The latter might be at least partially responsible for the former.

Here's an example:
https://youtu.be/pEMgV4R7p8Q
$750 joystick and nearly $800 to repack two hydraulic cylinders

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

STR.... is ALIVE!

Yeah. We all knew I was alive.

Anyway. Finally got my desktop PC setup. new driver license never showed, neither did my new modem (I had an old one in storage that's DOCSIS 3.0, so it works fine with 200/10 speeds, so I'm using that for now).

Ex is bouncing between the depression and angry stages. I've had to block her calls. FFS, I just went over to wire up a cord to her dryer this morning, and got ripped 50 new assholes for not waiting for her lunch (her work lunches are all over the place, since she works retail.. how am I supposed to know when she'll be back?!). Makes me kind of wish I'd taken a huge piss on the rug I dropped off.

Jeffery The Dude Lebowski has lost some weight (likely from the extra space to run around). Also upset about being locked in my bedroom (roomie is gone until tomorrow). And goddamnit, I knew 11x9 would be tight, but drat, my dresser takes up an entire wall alone.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Got me a pair of jack stands for a very good price, unused in box. As a "summer soon" treat, or something.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

God damnit STR, get me pics of Spiderman that dresser!

It better be something special for the ache it's caused you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
That dresser sounds like a bonfire that needs to happen.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/iamTannenbaum/status/1266131745952403458?s=19

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is true, and I agree. It's awful how our country's leadership isn't reflective of the actual population. (and of course when someone who is more reflective of population like AOC gets elected, that's a sign of end times) I am focused on "don't give up" part of message rather than "other places bad/worse"

meatpimp's not wrong, I (and many of us) enjoy a ton of privilege and yes that definitely colors my outlook. If I was destitute and marginalized and disenfranchised I suspect I'd be a lot more vocal and angry. I continually try to remind both myself and from time to time my kids just how goddamned charmed their existence is overall. The closest thing I can reference in my own lineage is my dad's southern European people got off the boat just over 100 years ago at Ellis Island and dealt with their own immigrant challenges in that time, but that ain't me: I got the privilege of two middle class college-graduate parents raising me in the 'burbs of Denver, and all the advantages that's afforded me in spite of life not being perfect.

CSB: Was referencing HK directly due to this and this which TLDR say goodbye to HK as we know it.

Anyway I wasn't trying to preach but just to encourage not giving up and to try to be good people to each other which I again like to hope means that if we lead by example we're pushing back the darkness even if it's sometimes imperceptible.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

meatpimp's not wrong

Nobody has ever said that before. I think I just teared up.

Seriously, though, the flip side to privilege is that it doesn't negate the struggle. What you made for yourself and your family didn't drop into your lap, you worked for it and you got down there to grind when needed. It's like... context matters.

On a completely insane new topic: We had a designer from a local nursery come out to design our front bed. We've been struggling with "likes" and fighting deer and it just hasn't come together. I told my wife that we just transported ourselves to a deeper level of suburbia where we are paying someone to tell us what plants to put in our bed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Because under Reagan and continuing onward republicans did everything they could to defund american public education because people who know things are prone to using their own brains to make voting decisions, rather than just doing whatever Hannity said this morning.

That's dark... but believable. It may be a happy accidental side effect (for them) of the Republicans' being cheap bastards (at least in terms of publicly beneficial programs), but I would could see it being intentional, given how obvious some of them are being about their true intentions lately.

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo AvE has gone off the 'ol Libertarian rails, bitching about masks and poo poo in his latest videos. I'm unsubscribing, all here does these days it's gently caress with his CNC and try to use flextures to solve every problem (they don't)

We all fall to Dunning-Kruger in the end I guess.

God dammit.

Grakkus posted:

Re: Democrats, I just don't understand the mindset. All my US Democrat friends have spent the time since the primaries started making GBS threads on whoever the Democrat frontrunner was for one social infraction or another. Like okay, cool, you're extremely woke or whatever, but you're also self sabotaging your own side? Maybe if there was less internal shitflinging they might get something done? :shrug:

Well, yeah. I mean, it was basically the Dems who sabotaged themselves and lost the last election by putting up the ONE candidate guaranteed to lose against the orange fuckwit.

Dagen H posted:

2016 Part II: I still don't want to vote for any of these assholes

I would love a "none of the above, try again" selection, but thanks to partisan politics, and the electoral system negating any meaningful independent voing, we get two dismal choices.

Coredump posted:

The thing is, out of ALL of the candidates that were running Biden was my least favorite and the one candidate that Trump could actually beat. Democrats, how did you gently caress up this bad AGAIN?

Issue highlighted.

We kinda need a V (from V for Vendetta) to scare the motherfuckers into doing the right thing, but that has its own slippery slope. Whole "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My poly-sci instructor in college (I lucked into his class the first semester - and rearranged my poo poo to take his second semester, I like him so much) use a textbook called "The Irony of Democracy", and i was absolutely correct then, 30 years ago. It's beyond correct now, at least at the level where things actually get done. Pretty sure I kept the book, too.
It's... painful being aware of my privilege (like meatpimp, I'm white, male, older, and a second-gen natural-born citizen.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geoj posted:

Shockingly, there aren't the usual calls of "we need to wait until all the facts are in" from officials or pro-law enforcement internet detectives turning up that one time he had an overdue library book in elementary school, and using it as justification for his death.
Oh there have been, you just haven't seen them. But I will note there have been less of them than I expected. This one - and Kenneth Walker - have gotten through to people I literally never expected to see change on this subject.

Galler posted:

The dnc is not good but ultimately the people that actually voted picked Biden. As always we need young people to loving vote and as always they went 'meh' and let the Olds handle it. Short of mandatory voting that's probably not going to change.
Pretty much.

As for how we are going to fix this, I'll just say it's a good thing I don't have enough billions, because V for Vendetta and Law Abiding Citizen have been on my mind a lot. Guess I'll just have to keep voting.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

kastein posted:

As for how we are going to fix this, I'll just say it's a good thing I don't have enough billions, because V for Vendetta and Law Abiding Citizen have been on my mind a lot. Guess I'll just have to keep voting.

Law Abiding Citizen would have been great if he had gotten away with it as was his plan but blah blah Hollywood can't have the "bad guy" win. As for V for Vendetta are we talking about the comic or the movie version?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Movie. I read comics the way our president reads daily briefings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

Pretty much.

DNC wise I wanna note that the then-County Attorney who previously let George Floyd's killer go uncharged in a fatal shooting was up until yesterday the frontrunner for Biden's VP.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Geoj posted:

Shockingly, there aren't the usual calls of "we need to wait until all the facts are in" from officials or pro-law enforcement internet detectives turning up that one time he had an overdue library book in elementary school, and using it as justification for his death.
What you say?
https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...-floyds-arrest/

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fucks sake... go through the order process, confirm 256gb phone on the 30gb plan, check out with it, confirm price, send in the order and then receive notification that they’ve shipped the 64gb version instead.

Can’t ring em cos they’ve shut down their call centres cos of the covid and their online chat system is barely functioning and takes hours to get a reply back

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

CSB: Was referencing HK directly due to this and this which TLDR say goodbye to HK as we know it.

To clarify China should have been in that list from earlier. With the recent news it wouldn't be safe for anybody in the western world to visit HongKong now or any time in the near future. Prior to this administration it would have been a different story. I was following some moto guys from the states that were traveling around China and south east Asia. Over the last couple years with China increasingly tightening their grip on surveillance and free speech they returned to the US.

This country gets a lot wrong, however some things it does right.
keep fighting that good fight.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

On a slightly more positive note my MB hotrodder dude says the S65 should be done either tomorrow or Monday. Work includes lowering links, Quaife LSD, Kleemann tune, a new motor mount and coolant leak fixed, larger intercooler, and the Weistec meth injection system and tank.

Gonna be fun to see if I run out of traction or talent first

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo AvE has gone off the 'ol Libertarian rails, bitching about masks and poo poo in his latest videos. I'm unsubscribing, all here does these days it's gently caress with his CNC and try to use flextures to solve every problem (they don't)

We all fall to Dunning-Kruger in the end I guess.

You didn't realize AvE was a crazy racist libertarian like 2 years ago?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Got me a pair of jack stands for a very good price, unused in box. As a "summer soon" treat, or something.

What car is that it's going to drive me crazy. Parts of it look Kia, but the steering wheel is wrong.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Bahco makes *excellent* stuff. They are part of the Snap-On group, and in a good way. I didn't even know they made stands though - is it made in Sweden?

Their hand and cutting tools are among the best I've ever used. I have some of their adjustable pliers which are amazing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lamborghini-sian-fkp-37-42115

Look at this glorious thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

$380!? :catdrugs:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

zavvi usually has sets significantly cheaper and stuff seems to go on sale fairly often. I got the big Liebherr excavator for $350 (usually $450 in the US) a month or so ago. Still expensive for a box of plastic but it helps.

casque
Mar 17, 2009
"A riot is the language of the unheard."

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

casque posted:

"A riot is the language of the unheard."

Black People took a knee in a silent PEACEFUL protest and plenty of white people lost their loving minds starting from the Orange racist-in-chief. Gee I wonder why there's a goddamn riot when yet another POC is murdered by a cop?

White protest : "We cant get a haircut!!!"

Black protest : "We dont want to be loving shot while jogging!"

Ummm..... yes pls

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Black People took a knee in a silent PEACEFUL protest and plenty of white people lost their loving minds starting from the Orange racist-in-chief. Gee I wonder why there's a goddamn riot when yet another POC is murdered by a cop?

White protest : "We cant get a haircut!!!"

Black protest : "We dont want to be loving shot while jogging!"

Ummm..... yes pls

Derek M. Chauvin makes me sick to my loving stomach, that motherfucker better be tried and convicted for murder.

There's a Facebook post out there that shows a bunch of Whites rioting and burning poo poo 'cause City Name Sports Team won/lost, I really wouldn't be offended if POC wanted to burn most of this country to the ground based on the offenses they've seen.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
AvE is pretty cool. I like him. He's well traveled and intelligent.

You want to see a poo poo show, check out Zip ties and Bias plies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

AvE is pretty cool. I like him. He's well traveled and intelligent.

You want to see a poo poo show, check out Zip ties and Bias plies.

I know lots of well traveled, intelligent, generally nice people with absolutely trash opinions on things. AvE fits the archetype perfectly, even if he's a nice guy.