Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'll also throw in Asimeto - they're available on Amazon too (or at least that's where I bought mine last year).

When I lost my beloved Mitutoyo I've used for work I took a chance and bought a set of their verniers - very happy with them. No issues in accuracy, readability or durability.

I would say compare very favorably to the Mitus I've owned/used but a fraction of the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there a favorite “smart” battery charger? All I’ve got is an old cart-style dumb charger but it’s pretty bulky, and the egg-timer tends to get stuck, boiling batteries.

Are any of the fancy desulfating features legit? Is Noco really a solid brand, or are they just heavily advertised? I’d never heard of the company until recently, but now they’re everywhere.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm partial to Schumacher. I've got a bunch from different vintages and none of them have ever given me any problems.

Not only did I not plan that, I didn't even notice until recently that all the chargers I'd collected from various sources that actually worked were made by the same company.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 26, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The few emergencies I've used my Noco stuff they worked. I'd do more research if I were going to get a charger for a motorcycle or summer car, for example.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My big cart charger is a Shumacher, but I have a hard time trusting it after it’s ticky-timer stuck a few times.

At minimum, I’d just like something capable of automatically switching from charging to maintaining when full, rather than spinning an egg time and hoping.

Some of the expensive units claim to be able to revive some battery faults, but I’m skeptical.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 26, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Is there a favorite “smart” battery charger? All I’ve got is an old cart-style dumb charger but it’s pretty bulky, and the egg-timer tends to get stuck, boiling batteries.

Are any of the fancy desulfating features legit? Is Noco really a solid brand, or are they just heavily advertised? I’d never heard of the company until recently, but now they’re everywhere.
Optima makes a really good one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

I've been really happy with the Ctek 4.3. It's already rescued three basically dead batteries so it's well more than paid for itself.

It's no cart charger. You're not gonna jump something off of it. But it floats great (so far) and it's "recovery mode" seems really good based on those three batteries. It's a maintenance charger, treat is as such and you'll likely be happy.

I also bought the cheaper/lower cap (no recovery mode) 0.8 version to wire into my tractor along with the block heater for winter storage/ready to plow. Made it through the winter fine.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 26, 2020

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Late to the glove chat, but how could no one have mentioned Watson's best gloves:
https://www.watsongloves.com/products/5827-hand-job/

Product description
Looking for a Hand Job? We got you covered. Equipped with foam lining, split cowhide leather, cotton drill back, shirred elastic wrist, slip-on style safety cuff. When you need to get the job done, the Hand Job is your answer - Better Than Nothin'! One size fits all.

They also have the best ads... I've seen this poster in a store before.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

I also have a CTEK (specifically CTEK MULTI US 7002) and I'm happy with it. CTEK was popular with the BMW motorcycle club I was part of so the chargers got a lot of use on gel and AGM batteries. Harry Metcalfe seems to be a fan of them as well and he has lots of batteries to maintain.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Can anyone recommend a good screw extractor set?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Project Farm had a video on it last month.
https://youtu.be/XVTn6wI4g6s

I can't remember the result or I'd just tell you.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looks like Irwin did alright, but I have never had any luck with mine. I know I snapped one extractor on a rusty distributor cap bolt, and I think the other times it’s just been too awkward to be practical. Luckily I’ve been able to disassemble more to replace the broken bits.

I’m curious if more skilled people have had better luck though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've only had luck with them when the bolt broke due to shear forces, not corrosion/seizing. If the threads are seized, the best bet is heat and penetrating fluid, or welding a nut onto the stub.

I've used them extensively to remove broken pipe stubs, and found these amazing for that use: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00004T82B/

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This isn't really an automotive tool per se, but do you guys have any recommendations for a cheap electric power washer?

I borrowed a friend's and while it was relatively weak (1700psi 1.2gpm greenworks brand) it got the job done. Something a bit more powerful but still less than 150 would be great but they're all kinds of weird brands on Amazon.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Wrar posted:

Project Farm had a video on it last month.
https://youtu.be/XVTn6wI4g6s

I can't remember the result or I'd just tell you.

I don't remember being too blown away by any of them. I think the Dewalt and Irwin did fine for the money. I definitely don't remember the highest priced ones doing that much better to justify the cost.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

This isn't really an automotive tool per se, but do you guys have any recommendations for a cheap electric power washer?

I borrowed a friend's and while it was relatively weak (1700psi 1.2gpm greenworks brand) it got the job done. Something a bit more powerful but still less than 150 would be great but they're all kinds of weird brands on Amazon.

I have 2 SunJoe electric pressure washers. The first one I got is very strong, fully 75% as strong as my gas. The second one is smaller and maybe 40% as strong as my gas. Weird thing is that they have mostly the same specs for GPM/Pressure. The "good" one is physically larger/heavier, which makes sense.

Project Farm needs to do a comparison on pressure washers, because they seem to be unreliable in they way they are rated.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have bought a few different Karchers over the years, they are all still chooching.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Minto Took posted:

Can anyone recommend a good screw extractor set?

I don't trust the methodology of that Project Farm video, too much wobble and slop in his setups.

If you don't want to gently caress around:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WQYJIG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_U2xZEbPBS6HZN

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Obsessed Garage did a super thourough test of pressure washers, but they tested it for car washing use.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just got the CTEK Test and Charge, which seems to supersede the “Multi US 1007” and it feel extremely solid so far.

I also picked up a couple of the “Comfort indicator” pigtails with the LEDs as mentioned in that car-hoarder vid. Nice to be able to quickly charge my vehicles that already have “Tender Jr” style SAE plugs without adding new wires.

Thanks thread.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A couple of charger things I forgot about, my CTEK gets hot when it's doing its thing. I can't remember if my other chargers did that too but regardless I make sure it's on concrete or a chunk of metal to act as a heat sink. I also try to keep chargers away from everything so that if they fail catastrophically there's nothing nearby to set on fire. The charger plug hanging off my bike is also fused which I think is normal. I don't think I would be comfortable using alligator clips for long-term maintenance charging. Too easy to bump a cord and pull a clip off and either stop charging or possibly send current somewhere it shouldn't go.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Galler posted:

A couple of charger things I forgot about, my CTEK gets hot when it's doing its thing. I can't remember if my other chargers did that too but regardless I make sure it's on concrete or a chunk of metal to act as a heat sink. I also try to keep chargers away from everything so that if they fail catastrophically there's nothing nearby to set on fire. The charger plug hanging off my bike is also fused which I think is normal. I don't think I would be comfortable using alligator clips for long-term maintenance charging. Too easy to bump a cord and pull a clip off and either stop charging or possibly send current somewhere it shouldn't go.

I've had it running for at least 4 hours charging a battery that I killed cranking my MG, and it feels about as warm as a Tender Junior. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Having never heard of the brand, I was expecting an Intertek sticker, a fake CE mark and a Harbor Freight plastic smell, but this thing has a UL listing and quality-feeling silicone wires. So far I'm satisfied for $100.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Intertek is a real NRTL and CE is self certifying (normally with reports from an NRTL to back up the claims made in your DoC and technical construction file) but yeah, it's always nice to be surprised by the quality on something.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I was referring to this nonsense

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh that. Yeah gently caress that, I don't trust that at all.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I just found this out a couple weeks ago, but even the real CE mark is entirely self-monitored. There isn't a central agency/testing facilities like UL that you pay for testing. (:can: the other direction) You might get hosed in a lawsuit if you are wrong or lie, but you can put the mark on legally by only deciding your stuff is fine with no testing and documenting that you did so.

e:

kastein posted:

Intertek is a real NRTL and CE is self certifying (normally with reports from an NRTL to back up the claims made in your DoC and technical construction file) but yeah, it's always nice to be surprised by the quality on something.

yeah this

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Looks like I'm going to get some welding related accessories for Father's Day, and I've been tasked with picking them. I have a bunch of related questions.

My list so far:
  • Welder Cart - is this HF cabinet decent? I like that it has actual storage vs just stuff sitting on a shelf.
  • Mask - is this HF decent? Do I need this 3M Storm Trooper mask? ESAB biker mask? Ugly but pretty inexpensive no-name top rated on amazon? (Real talk, I'm not going to get a $500 mask, and $300 is pretty out too. So is the HF or the YESWELDER better than the other, or is there something else in the <$150 range I should be considering?)
  • Gloves - Lincoln?
  • Wire brush - Hazet, just so that I can say I have two Hazet tools
  • Welding wire - any reason not to use the HF stuff, especially for initial practice?
This is all groundwork for the actual welder I'm going to buy, which is the Hobart 210MVP. I know that I'll need gas as well, but I'm planning to sort that after the welder gets here, just to figure out if there's a particular fitting or size I need or whatever.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Cart, I got the open one from HF and it's fine, I think the one you have listed with drawers is a better choice. The lower chains that hold the gas cylinder are too low on mine, but kind of unnecessary anyway.

Mask, the HF one only has one sensor, and it finally pissed me off enough when it wouldn't darken that I bought the true color one from Eastwood. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-large-view-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-l6700.html and I love it. The true color thing is nice, and makes it comfortable to look through. The harness is comfortable as well.

Gloves, those soft tough gloves are a great choice.

Edit: Wire, buy the 10lb rolls of the good stuff. Don't short yourself on it. Welding already has a learning curve so why make it harder with substandard filler? If be suspect of the material and the thickness, which cause issues with feeding and voltage and heat. Just buy name brand wire it's not that expensive. And again, the big rolls. You WILL run out when you need it.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 28, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Don't skimp on PPE. Especially when it's your eyes.

I've got a Miller digital infinity and I'm not a fan. The helmet is good but it's too heavy for the headgear. If the headgear is tight enough to keep the helmet up and out of the way then it requires both hands to lower it. The slightest bit looser and it slowly ratchets itself back down. I end up just having to take the whole helmet off whenever I'm not actively welding which is really obnoxious. I haven't decided what I'm going to replace it with but I'm very slightly leaning towards 3m.

Galler fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 28, 2020

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The older/cheaper HF helmets had crappier sensor setups (I think they've all had two, I don't know if I've ever encountered a single sensor lid), that newer one is actually quite good and has 4. If you want a step up, check out something like the Lincoln Viking line and just pick the most expensive one you can stomach buying. I wouldn't have any problem getting that HF helmet, it's the same quality as any of the low-spec lids from name brands in terms of optics.

Also, don't buy helmets that require weird curved shields, because they're a wear item and you'll need more (particularly while learning, since you'll end up sticking your face way too close to the arc all the time). Get fancy helmets when you've got a company buying consumables for you (or if it's just TIG or something).

For wire, I'd recommend getting Lincoln ER70S-6. It's available cheapest through Home Depot, weirdly enough. The HF wire is actually somewhat okay, but if you're learning it's better to keep everything in your favor equipment-wise.

Gloves, get the Vulcan TIG gloves from HF. Sounds weird and insane, but they're comically inexpensive and again, you'll kill gloves fairly quickly while learning (and then quickly again if you start welding a lot). It's worth buying the MIG gloves as well just so you've got a heavier option. They're also great and cheap.

I've dicked around with that HF cart a little and it seems fine, just keep an eye on how long your machine is vs the room on the top.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 28, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

I've dicked around with that HF cart a little and it seems fine, just keep an eye on how long your machine is vs the room on the top.

I got the non-drawer HF cart and quickly realized the top was too small for a my Miller 211mvp. My first or second welding project was modifying the cart to accept the welder. It was fun and good practice.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Galler posted:

Don't skimp on PPE. Especially when it's your eyes.
Couldn't agree more, but I'm hoping for a middle ground below that 3M mask :) You mentioned you're leaning toward 3M - which one? That can't be the only one they make, surely.

I like Hypno's recommendation about the Viking line, but I combined it with StormDrain's Eastwood, since that Viking line starts where I'm comfortable, but Eastwood seems to have a sale tonight. How's this one? It's as far up that line as you can go without getting into the curved nonsense, which I 100% see your point on.

I'm good with the HF gloves, and agree that practicing with good wire is probably a better starting point than HF. I know people who use HF wire extensively, but it'd be better to start with something good and go back to that (maybe) to be better able to identify where it goes wrong.

StormDrain posted:

Cart, I got the open one from HF and it's fine, I think the one you have listed with drawers is a better choice. The lower chains that hold the gas cylinder are too low on mine, but kind of unnecessary anyway.

Hypnolobster posted:

This was actually my first thought when looking at it, which was promptly followed by my second:

Galler posted:

I got the non-drawer HF cart and quickly realized the top was too small for a my Miller 211mvp. My first or second welding project was modifying the cart to accept the welder. It was fun and good practice.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Couldn't agree more, but I'm hoping for a middle ground below that 3M mask :) You mentioned you're leaning toward 3M - which one? That can't be the only one they make, surely.

I've literally only gotten as far as 'I've never had a bad experience with a 3m product so I might trust them with my eyes'. I'm planning on getting into TIG so I'll probably go all in on my next helmet since, as far as I understand, not all sensors can handle low amperage TIG and having a bigger and clearer viewing window is more significant with TIG. That's a problem for next year though.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Totally fine! I'd personally go for the HF you linked because I don't like helmets that have a bunch of controls on the outside but that's personal preference.
Autodark lenses are all very good these days because the tech has gotten to the point where cheap overseas manufacturing can make it very good quality without much of an issue. Just about all the inexpensive helmets are just variations on a theme as long as you do the minimum-diligence on checking that it has some good (believable) reviews, etc.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 29, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My first rule at HF is avoid items that can hurt you when they fail. Somehow I bought a welding mask and jackstands, the mask I mentioned earlier would fail to darken at funny angles, and the jackstands we all know. I didn't like the harness as well as this new one either.

Inside vs outside controls is totally preference, I went with inside on the cheaper Eastwood helmet and it's good, since the helmet does get beat a little, and I don't adjust the tint often.

I actually came back to mention leathers. Dont forget an apron or shoulders. I went with a full jacket which is both too hot and a lifesaver from burns when I'm welding upside down.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Krakkles posted:

[*]Mask - is this HF decent? Do I need this 3M Storm Trooper mask? ESAB biker mask? Ugly but pretty inexpensive no-name top rated on amazon? (Real talk, I'm not going to get a $500 mask, and $300 is pretty out too. So is the HF or the YESWELDER better than the other, or is there something else in the <$150 range I should be considering?)

I've been using the HF vulcan mask for a while and I think it's pretty drat good especially for the price. I can comfortably fit a big 3m mask under there while welding too, which you will want. What's fun is that it's a clone of the lincoln 3350 viking mask, down to the point where the sensors are directly interchangeable. The 3350 auto dimmer pack is obviously bigger. Masks are cool though, so if you want to spend extra money on one I don't blame you. Another brand not mentioned is Optrel, fine swiss maskmakers. Their panoramaxx and crystal 2.0 are pretty awesome (and expensive).

I've also put the HF vulcan welding gloves through hell and they've held up fine, if a bit stiff. I recently picked a pair of black stallions.

Krakkles posted:

[*]Wire brush - Hazet, just so that I can say I have two Hazet tools

You can get the cheapest for this sort of stuff. HF actually sells a big pack of wire wheels and wire brushes for like $9 which will work fine.

Krakkles posted:

[*]Welding wire - any reason not to use the HF stuff, especially for initial practice?
I can't remember what the HF stuff is like, but I have a few rolls of inerfil in 030 and 035: link. Your welder will probably be able to handle thicker material on the top end with 035 than 030, but 030 is definitely a good all-purpose wire thickness.

One more thing you might want to consider is a welding jacket or apron like StormDrain mentioned. I have a lightweight lincoln electric jacket that is not too hot for this socal weather. Sometimes you'll be under a car welding overhead and you need all the protection you can get. One of those welding caps too - I don't have one and I always end up getting tiny bits of splatter on top of my head somehow (and while grinding).
Which also brings me to the grinding section. You'll be doing a lot more of that in order to clean and prep surfaces and then afterwards to hide welds :D I go through a lot of flapdiscs, cutoffs and wire wheels, so bulk buy those. And clamps. And squares. And more flapdiscs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

taqueso posted:

I just found this out a couple weeks ago, but even the real CE mark is entirely self-monitored. There isn't a central agency/testing facilities like UL that you pay for testing. (:can: the other direction) You might get hosed in a lawsuit if you are wrong or lie, but you can put the mark on legally by only deciding your stuff is fine with no testing and documenting that you did so.

e:

yeah this

Yeah nothing is stopping you from doing that except the fact that if someone dies or is injured as a result, the person who signed the DoC and/or the VP and C-levels of your company can get dragged into court criminally for it IIRC. We took it pretty seriously at my last job as a result. We did risk analysis and FMEA, and used NRTL reports to back up our claims basically so we could point at them and say don't arrest us please. I even got to do a destructive test of all single-mode failures we could find in one of the control boards to prove it was designed well enough to remain within safe limits.

Krakkles posted:

This is all groundwork for the actual welder I'm going to buy, which is the Hobart 210MVP. I know that I'll need gas as well, but I'm planning to sort that after the welder gets here, just to figure out if there's a particular fitting or size I need or whatever.

Echoing the others, buy good wire and keep an extra spool on the shelf of anything you use often. It will run out 30 minutes after the last store closes on a Friday before a 3 day weekend. If you have the space and money, get a spare shielding gas tank as well, even if it's a small one, just to keep you from getting stymied on a weekend project because airgas doesn't open till Tuesday at 7am.

I'm running a Hobart 70 dollar mask from tractor supply Co. It's alright. Worth noting, the safety part of the mask is always on, it's the visible light shield that turns on and off.

The 210mvp is a decent welder from the feedback I've gotten.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned so far: wear a respirator when welding and grinding. You don't want heavy metal poisoning, you don't want cancer and you don't want manganism. Wearing it when grinding will keep you from having black, structurally sound boogers for a day or two. Wearing it when welding will keep you from getting cancer or manganism or heavy metal poisoning. A 3m half mask with 2097 pancake filters is pretty alright. If you're doing this outside it's semi unnecessary but if you're working indoors or in tight quarters you'll want it.

Wear earplugs when grinding AND welding overhead. Grinding is obvious, welding overhead is... Well... Ever have a white-hot lump of slag drop into your ear and land on your eardrum, then sizzle and burn? I have. Luckily it was a lot smaller than it sounded like, which basically was like someone frying bacon on my eardrum, and rather than the China Syndrome I pictured as I thrashed around trying to get it out of my ear under a truck, it only resulted in some minor soreness that went away in a few hours.

But it could have been a lot worse.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

tuna posted:

You can get the cheapest for this sort of stuff. HF actually sells a big pack of wire wheels and wire brushes for like $9 which will work fine.

I can't remember what the HF stuff is like, but I have a few rolls of inerfil in 030 and 035:.

HF wire suuuucks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just keep thinking of more tools you need, sorry!

MIG pliers, for taking off parts and clipping wire and cleaning the tip of welding smegma.

Welders hat, which my wife HATES and I feel equally strong that it's the best hat ever. Keeps my hair clean, up, and doesn't interfere when I'm under car or under a helmet. Maybe part of it is the pattern but tbh the ugly patterns are part of the style. Especially sexy lady caps.

And then be ready to buy a mountain of clamps, clips, magnets...

Edit: I actually stepped up from earplugs to ear muffs when grinding, the plugs got too dirty for my comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Welding is cool and good. I'm surprised there's no dedicated welding thread here or in DIY.