Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the gmail app has a custom “what browser do you want to open this link in” pop up

it only lists safari or chrome

I hate every tech company

Is there any way I’m missing to easily open a link from desktop Firefox on my iPad using safari? I don’t give a poo poo about using Firefox on iOS other than being able to open tabs from desktop (and the other way around). I assume by now someone’s tried and failed to reverse engineer iCloud tabs or whatever

maybe like if there was some iOS app that i could "share to" from iOS safari that would then send it to some list I could view on desktop Firefox, and then provide a list of my Firefox pages when opened on iOS that I could open in Safari, that would work? but I'm guessing Apple would reject that because it's duplicating existing functionality or whatever the gently caress

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

will say i actually laughed out loud when i plugged my ipad into my mac for the first time and itunes opened automatically

easy to turn off but what a strangely anachronistic thing in 2020. who is using desktop itunes sync? why does any of that functionality still exist in desktop itunes? even the actual music management part seems odd when they could just move it all to the cloud now (which i guess they did with itunes match, but even that's weird since they might as well just do direct mp3 uploads at this point, space is cheap)

Agreed. It is weird and anachronistic to be using a Mac with iTunes in 2020.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mediaphage posted:

In many ways I think the argument shows a lack of imagination on the part of some people. "I can't think of a reason why someone would want a camera in an iPad Pro" is not the same thing as "There is no need for cameras on the iPad Pro."

I use my camera on the pro all the damned time while at home and I'd be super annoyed if it were gone. Additionally I can imagine that eventually Xcode will be running on it natively and it'll be a useful test bed. It already seems like Apple is positioning it as an interesting suggestion for mounting on a tripod for picturing/movie-ing.

I love turning on my backward facing camera during Teams meetings to show my employees my dog doing something silly on the grass. Worth it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Agreed. It is weird and anachronistic to be using a Mac with iTunes in 2020.

o/t for this thread but I'm waiting to upgrade to Catalina until whatever the hell is going on with unsigned binary startup performance is fixed https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23273247

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

abraham linksys posted:

the gmail app has a custom “what browser do you want to open this link in” pop up

it only lists safari or chrome

I hate every tech company

Is there any way I’m missing to easily open a link from desktop Firefox on my iPad using safari? I don’t give a poo poo about using Firefox on iOS other than being able to open tabs from desktop (and the other way around). I assume by now someone’s tried and failed to reverse engineer iCloud tabs or whatever

maybe like if there was some iOS app that i could "share to" from iOS safari that would then send it to some list I could view on desktop Firefox, and then provide a list of my Firefox pages when opened on iOS that I could open in Safari, that would work? but I'm guessing Apple would reject that because it's duplicating existing functionality or whatever the gently caress

Use Safari on your iPad and Mac. I understand everyone has a preference, but if you want to do that stuff, you'll need to. I'll also add that from my experience Safari is the best performing browser on MacOS.

abraham linksys posted:

o/t for this thread but I'm waiting to upgrade to Catalina until whatever the hell is going on with unsigned binary startup performance is fixed https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23273247

Apple isn't going to fix this, as it's a feature, not a bug. That's on whoever is making these to sign them.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 27, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh, holy poo poo, you can use AirDrop to send tabs between devices. it's kind of slow, requires Bluetooth to be on, and makes an absolutely terrible notification sound (real desktop Linux-rear end noises), but at least here in 2020 I have finally found a use for AirDrop! this also won't work for my Windows box I guess, and will make it more annoying if anyone ever releases a Windows laptop good enough for me to switch away from Mac, but it's a decent fix for now

Jose Oquendo posted:

Apple isn't going to fix this, as it's a feature, not a bug. That's on whoever is making these to sign them.

the long latency of the check is most definitely a bug, the check itself i am okay with on a "well all computing is hosed already anyways, this isn't so bad" level

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 27, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Do you mean Continuity? Also if you've been signed into iCloud on any iDevice or Mac you can always access open browser tabs on other devices

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Do you mean Continuity?

no, I mean Airdrop. You can use Airdrop as a share target for a link (whether sharing from iOS Safari or Mac desktop Firefox), which pops a notification on the receiving device. This opens the link in Safari on iPad, or whatever your default browser is on Mac. for my use case of "I opened a recipe on my laptop and want to throw it to my iPad," it seems to work okay

quote:

Also if you've been signed into iCloud on any iDevice or Mac you can always access open browser tabs on other devices

as far as I can tell this requires me to use Safari on desktop which you could not pay me enough to do

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

requires Bluetooth to be on

Please don’t tell me you’re janitoring your Bluetooth in 2020.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

no, I mean Airdrop. You can use Airdrop as a share target for a link (whether sharing from iOS Safari or Mac desktop Firefox), which pops a notification on the receiving device. This opens the link in Safari on iPad, or whatever your default browser is on Mac. for my use case of "I opened a recipe on my laptop and want to throw it to my iPad," it seems to work okay

as far as I can tell this requires me to use Safari on desktop which you could not pay me enough to do

Ah gotcha, it's been years since I've used Chrome on a Mac

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Dave posted:

Dude just came over from Android, what does your heart tell you?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The Dave posted:

I dunno, I don't own any Bluetooth devices I use more than, like, once a week (basically just some living room speakers I throw music on while cleaning), so I've always just left it off in the past. I'm getting a K380 though so I'll probably start leaving it on indefinitely on my Macbook and iPad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Do you mean Continuity? Also if you've been signed into iCloud on any iDevice or Mac you can always access open browser tabs on other devices

No he's going from Firefox on MacOS to Safari on iOS and wants a way to shoot tabs across.

Why not just use Firefox on iOS?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Why not just use Firefox on iOS?

If iOS 14 lets you set Firefox as a default browser as has apparently been rumored, then sure, I'll do this. As it is now, having every single click in an external app open Safari, and then having to share to Firefox just to open in it in Firefox, is incredibly obnoxious and quickly leads to me losing track of which tabs I've got open in which browser.

BTW, anyone running Catalina: what's your CPU usage like when using Sidecar? Duet is okay but uses like 10% CPU when idle (and more if I, like, throw a Youtube video over there or something), which is pretty rough. I've got Webpack, IntelliJ, and like five Electron-wrapped apps open and need to hold on to all the resources I can get :v:

I also guess that, according to the docs, if I want to use Sidecar I'm going to have to log into my personal iCloud account on my work Macbook, which... sucks? Is this a weird use case? Why is iCloud even in the mix if I'm using Sidecar over a USB cable? this is like "Animal Crossing only allows one island per Switch" levels of baffling

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 27, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:negative:

i am apparently forever doomed to 12 W charging hell with this particular ipad

e: several reviews and Apple Community posts indicate it "should support fast charging" but I can find no report of someone who owns one of these confirming it, lots of people saying it "doesn't seem to work with their cables," and I'm sure as heck not dropping $20 to $40 on a Lightning to USB-C cable to find out

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 28, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
:confused:

You can get an Apple MFi certified USB-C Lightning cable off Amazon for like $12-15 or less. Not saying you should gamble on your 2019 iPad because I might be wrong about its fast charging capabilities, but a USB-C is very far from $20-40.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

so the trackpad on my 11" Magic Keyboard case has already failed. Butterfly-switch 2.0!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

smr posted:

so the trackpad on my 11" Magic Keyboard case has already failed. Butterfly-switch 2.0!

As in it doesn’t register a click anymore, or it doesn’t register touch inputs at all?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Finally making the jump to my very first iPad, because I'm an artist and frankly I just love what can be done with the Apple Pencil and Procreate. I'm sure this asked like once every two pages, but what are your recommendations for a case+keyboard? I'm hoping this will potentially replace my 2013 MacBook, so a decent keyboard will end up being pretty important.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MokBa posted:

Finally making the jump to my very first iPad, because I'm an artist and frankly I just love what can be done with the Apple Pencil and Procreate. I'm sure this asked like once every two pages, but what are your recommendations for a case+keyboard? I'm hoping this will potentially replace my 2013 MacBook, so a decent keyboard will end up being pretty important.

I’m guessing you’re going to get an iPad Pro? If so and this really depends on how much you want to type or whatever but get the Magic Keyboard. It costs a lot but it’s really nice once you use it. If it helps you could try checking Best Buy and finding an open box MK. That’s what I did and it ended up being $321 as opposed to the $370 it would have been normally. Any bit helps really.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Blotto_Otter posted:

As in it doesn’t register a click anymore, or it doesn’t register touch inputs at all?

Dead on both fronts. The keyboard works fine. The trackpad clicks physically, but there's no cursor nor any evidence it registers any action taken on the trackpad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did you try turning it off and then on again?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Did you try turning it off and then on again?

Yes.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I know the overall goon recommendation for the iPhone is the Apple Leather Case (Saddle Brown).

What’s the preferred iPad Pro case?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Do y’all think the 7th gen iPad is a good upgrade for a 1st gen Mini? Thinking of getting one for my dad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Skeezy posted:

Do y’all think the 7th gen iPad is a good upgrade for a 1st gen Mini? Thinking of getting one for my dad.

Is that the current base model? Yes, it's excellent. A massive upgrade in every possible way. Get him an Apple Pencil to go with it too

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is that the current base model? Yes, it's excellent. A massive upgrade in every possible way. Get him an Apple Pencil to go with it too

Awesome. Appreciate it!!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I finally got my iPad Pro 11" and I love it to death. Can't wait to get a ~*magic keyboard*~ and completely replace my old MacBook.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I know nothing about iPads but I'm required to buy a newish one for school. It can be any Pro, an Air 3, or a regular iPad from the last couple of years. I don't want to buy a brand new Pro but how do older Pro models compare to the A10 iPad and A12 Air

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I know nothing about iPads but I'm required to buy a newish one for school. It can be any Pro, an Air 3, or a regular iPad from the last couple of years. I don't want to buy a brand new Pro but how do older Pro models compare to the A10 iPad and A12 Air

I’d go back one generation on the Pro (pretty much the same as the brand new one without the fancy new camera). They’re available pretty cheap new and on the official Apple refurb store (don’t buy refurb elsewhere). You should grab a Pencil 2 to go with it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I'd go for an Air 3 if you want to buy new, but the 10.5" iPad Pro from a couple generations back is pretty great from the Apple refurbished store.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is the dumbest reason, but I'd go with 2018 11" Pro over the home-button Pros just for the ease of storing/charging the pencil alone. I use that thing so much that having it stick out the charging port would drive me bananas.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Martytoof posted:

This is the dumbest reason, but I'd go with 2018 11" Pro over the home-button Pros just for the ease of storing/charging the pencil alone. I use that thing so much that having it stick out the charging port would drive me bananas.

ngl this is more of a barrier for me to drawing on this tablet than I thought it would, even with a dedicated desk charging stand for the pencil.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Will any iPad with a usb-c port be able to use external storage drives?

e:actually, you can also use lightning adapters?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Martytoof posted:

This is not even close to a dumb reason. I have the 9.7 iPad Pro with a Pencil. The cases out there that include a pencil holder have them in a stupid place where if you view the iPad in landscape it is not sturdy at all. Even not touching the drat thing it will fall. Every day I am almost to the brink of buying a new iPad just to have the thing magnetically attach to the iPad. The charging is icing on the cake. I want to hold out for the mini-led but it gets harder every day.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Rinkles posted:

Will any iPad with a usb-c port be able to use external storage drives?

e:actually, you can also use lightning adapters?

Yes, and yes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yes, fundamental reworkings of the design, functionality, and ergonomics that make the device substantially better to use in day-to-day life are the dumbest reasons

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I want to upgrade my pro just for tap to wake. I’m a little surprised that’s never been retrocon’d to home button iPads.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Getting a 12.9” pro today, trying to decide on a case.

Are there any 3rd party case folios that are less spendy than the magic keyboard but have backlit keys? Looks like logitech has one.

Although I may get a 3rd party folio case like the otterbox symmetry one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

priznat posted:

Getting a 12.9” pro today, trying to decide on a case.

Are there any 3rd party case folios that are less spendy than the magic keyboard but have backlit keys? Looks like logitech has one.

Although I may get a 3rd party folio case like the otterbox symmetry one.

The Logitech one is the best value, IMO. The only drawback is that it isn't as easy as popping the magnetic back off the magic keyboard or folio case, but it's sturdy, types great, and the corners are well protected. I run one with a magic mouse and don't see a reason at the moment to upgrade to the magic keyboard.