Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oldpainless posted:

It’s actually extremely difficult to dual wield pistols with any type of accuracy not to mention it would make reloading more difficult so I appreciate the realism in the game.

mythbusters tested it and it turns out you actually can be a teensy bit more effective at putting rounds into a target with two pistols instead of one but it's only like 10%-20% better due to accuracy loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
But did they try it with bullet time and painkillers?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tunicate posted:

mythbusters tested it and it turns out you actually can be a teensy bit more effective at putting rounds into a target with two pistols instead of one but it's only like 10%-20% better due to accuracy loss

By an experienced shooter standing still or a 19 year old girl in fear for her life while constantly in motion?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dual-wielding is a highly specialized track in your archeology degree, canonically New Lara only received middling grades and is thus embarrassed to show off her lack of skill.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oldpainless posted:

By an experienced shooter standing still or a 19 year old girl in fear for her life while constantly in motion?

dude we both know nobody watches the b-team segments on mythbusters

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tunicate posted:

dude we both know nobody watches the b-team segments on mythbusters

there were too many internet people horny for the redhead for that to true

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i've been watching someone stream Mafia 2 Definitive and it's hilarious. In one major dramatic cutscene, the eye models got all screwed up and everyone was just constantly looking off to the left.

i mean, it would be lame if I paid for it, but I cracked up.

definitely seem like screwed up ports.

This definitely makes me think that they're somehow going to mess up the remake of 1 that comes out in August because how they did 2 and 3 sure was bad.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I think the wild brutality in the first Tomb Raider was to show how out of her element Lara was and how she had what it took to survive the island inside her all along, proven just by making it so far and yadda yadda. Problem is the writing is not nearly high enough quality to prop that up if that was what they were going for, nor did the game really navel gaze ABOUT Lara while she's being used as a pinata, just "oh no she's hurt feel bad for her :(". You don't have to shove sharp sticks into her guts to get me to feel bad for her predicament!

Edit: Really that's an issue I held with all of the TR reboot games. They pretend to be about Lara becoming The Tomb Raider and struggling to maintain her innocence but they're not reeeealllyyy about that. That's just a pretense to give Lara stuff to do. Only occasionally does the writing remember "oh yeah heart of darkness Lara becoming numb to the killing or whatever" and when it does it falls flat.

Reboot Lara is not numb to the killing. She loving loves it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Tunicate posted:

I've tried it once. I have two pieces of feedback:

1.) I missed everything, and I'm usually a pretty good shot.
2.) I had so much fun. Would highly recommend giving it a go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I've tried it once. I have two pieces of feedback:

1.) I missed everything, and I'm usually a pretty good shot.
2.) I had so much fun. Would highly recommend giving it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9d_sLRXOH4&t=18s

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm not a gun person, but akimbo pistols is one of those things I'd really like to try just once.

Anyway, I'm a veteran of the later 2D fire emblems, and I think Fire Emblem: Three Houses is fantastic. It's my first FE in 15 years and I love the greater game play variety and better narrative, but I think the visual style is a step down. That's not to say that I want it to be 2D, but the 2D games had better animations, better visual clarity, and some really outstanding sprite art for such small features. Three Houses, on the other hand, is not a pretty game. It's not an ugly game, but a lot of the textures are muddy and bland, the terrain is sometimes difficult to read, and a lot of the battle animations are second-rate. It almost seems like the developers are uncomfortable with 3D games in general, like the camera is pretty awful inside and outside of battle and the monastery feels blocky and not very intuitively laid out.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tunicate posted:

They can't dodge if you aim everywhere

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

christmas boots posted:

They can't dodge if you aim everywhere

Ah, I see you are also trained in the art of gunkata

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What if you use akimbo grenade launchers? Poor accuracy, but accuracy doesn't matter!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

What if you use akimbo grenade launchers? Poor accuracy, but accuracy doesn't matter!

Same reason I dual wield horseshoes.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Riatsala posted:

Anyway, I'm a veteran of the later 2D fire emblems, and I think Fire Emblem: Three Houses is fantastic. It's my first FE in 15 years and I love the greater game play variety and better narrative, but I think the visual style is a step down. That's not to say that I want it to be 2D, but the 2D games had better animations, better visual clarity, and some really outstanding sprite art for such small features. Three Houses, on the other hand, is not a pretty game. It's not an ugly game, but a lot of the textures are muddy and bland, the terrain is sometimes difficult to read, and a lot of the battle animations are second-rate. It almost seems like the developers are uncomfortable with 3D games in general, like the camera is pretty awful inside and outside of battle and the monastery feels blocky and not very intuitively laid out.

yeah the graphics as a whole are a disappointment. so many repeated animations. even the special ultimate crest attacks don't look cool or dramatic.

i don't even want to think about how much time it took to make this stupid 3D monastery and how all that effort could have been better used almost anywhere else, even if that's not how game development works.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

There's a bit in Jedi Fallen Order where Cal sneaks up on two stormtroopers piloting an AT-AT and clonks their heads together knocking them out. And it's like, they're in full armour, how the gently caress did that work?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Its a shame that ever since Goldeneye 64 no other game has made this possible.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bogmonster posted:

There's a bit in Jedi Fallen Order where Cal sneaks up on two stormtroopers piloting an AT-AT and clonks their heads together knocking them out. And it's like, they're in full armour, how the gently caress did that work?

They realised that if they said "ow!" and went for their guns his next move would be to cut them in half with a laser-sword. So they just lay down and had a little quiet time.

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 07:57 on May 29, 2020

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leal posted:

Isn't grenade launchers akimbo the gimmick of the wrestler in Killer 7?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Riatsala posted:

I'm not a gun person, but akimbo pistols is one of those things I'd really like to try just once.

See, that's the thing, I think they're uncomfortable with Switch 3D. Fates and Shadows of Valentia both had great combat animation for everyone, despite the many other problems aside from that.

Another thing I don't really like about Three Houses is that the weapons just look terrible. All of the iron ones are covered in rust for some reason. You buy a fresh one from an armory and it's already covered in rust.

Now, I don't play DBZF so this is a dumb one but after watching this one I'm just annoyed by proxy and I want to rant about this but I don't know where to take this otherwise. Those raid battles are all annoyance and minimal reward. The health on the computer is just absurdly high, their damage is even more out of control by fight 4 and having a time limit on a group of enemies who have over 15 times as much health as a normal opponent while they can kill you in two punches and a super from full health is just ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqJzR6rDBQM

Bogmonster posted:

Force powered brain trauma.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hel posted:

Isn't grenade launchers akimbo the gimmick of the wrestler in Killer 7?

MASK is the best Smith

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

RareAcumen posted:

Force powered brain trauma.

See also, “Ewoks with medium-sized rocks”.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
From the PYF things in games

Cythereal posted:

As someone who used to like 40k but started to dislike it intensely in recent years, and picked this game up since it was on sale for ten bucks, it really is quite refreshing to roll in and kill all the goose-stepping space Nazis and laugh at them.

40k really needs more games where you don't play as the Imperium. Bash a fash, in space. Or eat a fash, as the case may be.

This reminded me of something dragging Battlefleet Gothic 2 down for me - The Imperial ships have some of my favorite visual designs in the game, but I don't want to play as them because they're space Nazis as said above.

And there's no Ork campaign.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Leal posted:

Borderlands 2 the Gunzerker can dial wield any two guns, including two rocket launchers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This reminded me of something dragging Battlefleet Gothic 2 down for me - The Imperial ships have some of my favorite visual designs in the game, but I don't want to play as them because they're space Nazis as said above.

Yeah, I played through the tutorial and I just have no desire to play the Imperial campaign at all. Doesn't help that I watched an LP of the Imperial campaign before, and no one in the Imperial campaign has a personality to speak of. It's all very serious, somber, stoic men doing very serious things very seriously, somberly, and stoically.

And specifically men. I think you can count the number of women characters in the game on one hand, and of the two who appear in more than one mission, one (the human woman) is an incompetent moron and the other is a treacherous elf who backstabs you if you help her.

Necron and Chaos campaigns are of course all-male casts.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I played through the tutorial and I just have no desire to play the Imperial campaign at all. Doesn't help that I watched an LP of the Imperial campaign before, and no one in the Imperial campaign has a personality to speak of. It's all very serious, somber, stoic men doing very serious things very seriously, somberly, and stoically.

And specifically men. I think you can count the number of women characters in the game on one hand, and of the two who appear in more than one mission, one (the human woman) is an incompetent moron and the other is a treacherous elf who backstabs you if you help her.

Necron and Chaos campaigns are of course all-male casts.

more clapemoji female clapemoji space clapemoji nazis clapemoji

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
What about the Eldar? Surely they can clear that bar.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Just Offscreen posted:

What about the Eldar? Surely they can clear that bar.

No Eldar campaign, and of the Eldar characters who turn up as anything but a one-off enemy to kill, only one is a woman - and she's the backstabber I mentioned. There's her (Yvraine, I understand she's a character on the tabletop), a corsair prince guy, some edgelord called the Visarch, and then a handful of nonentities who appear in one mission only as an enemy to kill.

I'm really enjoying the gameplay of Armada 2, it's scratching the naval combat itch I've been looking for, but it has issues with writing and characters that are typical for 40k.

Cythereal has a new favorite as of 17:55 on May 29, 2020

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That's pretty weird, given how many prominent characters in the 40k setting are women. It's pretty much just the Orks that don't have any (even Necrons have a named lady-cron in their lore), and only because Orks are mono-gendered outside of individuals modifying themselves.

Also lol at not having an Eldar campaign, but having a Necron campaign.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Cythereal posted:

No Eldar campaign, and of the Eldar characters who turn up as anything but a one-off enemy to kill, only one is a woman - and she's the backstabber I mentioned. There's her (Yvraine, I understand she's a character on the tabletop), a corsair prince guy, some edgelord called the Visarch, and then a handful of nonentities who appear in one mission only as an enemy to kill.

I'm really enjoying the gameplay of Armada 2, it's scratching the naval combat itch I've been looking for, but it has issues with writing and characters that are typical for 40k.

I was about to ask what the heck you were talking about with the eldar characters until this post when I realized that I've been thinking of armada 2 this whole time. You might like armada more than gothic by the end

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mmj posted:

I was about to ask what the heck you were talking about with the eldar characters until this post when I realized that I've been thinking of armada 2 this whole time. You might like armada more than gothic by the end

I never played the original. But I watched a couple LPs of 2 and decided to buy it when it was on sale for ten bucks (still is).

I am liking the game on the whole, mind. It lets me play my favorite race (the Tyranids) as a campaign, and as I noted in the PYF little things thread, I'm really enjoying how the Tyranid campaign is playing 'everyone in 40k is a suicidally stiff-necked dumbass who is more concerned with bitching at each other than fighting against the tide of the apocalypse' thing completely straight.

Also, I got to eat Medusa and destroy the Iron Hands very early in the campaign, which put a smile on my face.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Spoilers for the imperial campaign if anyone cares about the plot but siding with the eldar over some rear end in a top hat inquisitor didn't ruin my game, and in fact the eldar commander showed back up in the last fight to help me out instead of screwing me over so that was actually fun and surprising

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was kind of disappointed by that last bit, really- can you really call them Eldar if they're not being hilariously dickish? This is the race that started the Armageddon Wars to save a few thousand of their kind, and in DoW 2 Farseer Idranel tried to reason that the destruction of a human system was a small price to pay for a Craftworld.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

There's a 40k meme that goes something like "Foolish Mon-Keigh, you should have trusted us!" and "Foolish Mon-Keigh, you never should have trusted us!", which pretty succinctly sums up the entire canonical history of Eldar/Human relations.

I'd find it but :effort:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If VR games have taught me anything it's that you can train yourself to use two pistols at the same time to fire on either the same target at any range or two different targets at any range if you play them long enough in, for example, quarantine

What's that? Recoil? Never heard of it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Evilreaver posted:

If VR games have taught me anything it's that you can train yourself to use two pistols at the same time to fire on either the same target at any range or two different targets at any range if you play them long enough in, for example, quarantine

What's that? Recoil? Never heard of it

Speaking of VR

There is a very strange movement mechanic in

"Fake World's vr" (it's free)

It is similar to a rail shooter, in so far as you are on a platform hovering in a very large corridor and move down it shooting enemies. (Feels like 747 hanger sized at least)

Yours hands can alternate between two "modes" a simple gun to shoot enemies with. The other is able to manipulate a small orb in the centre of the platform at waist height

To move you grab the orb and toss it in a speed and direction then click a button.

After clicking the button the platform will move off , mirroring the speed and direction of the ball.

This whole thing allows for some interesting motion since the platform does not immediately chase the vector of the ball. You can "throw" an escape path. Shoot guns akimbo and then at your discretion chose to quickly change speed and direction to what was thrown

It's a bizzare bizzare movement system and I guess that my little thing dragging it down is that it genuinely hurts your arms after a while but it is really quite fun and unique

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Jestery posted:

It's a bizzare bizzare movement system and I guess that my little thing dragging it down is that it genuinely hurts your arms after a while but it is really quite fun and unique

There was some VR roguelike game where your main weapon was a bow, and your main form of movement was shooting teleport arrows, and your only way of interacting with things was shooting arrows at them.

This works great until you realize that this means your left hand is 100% extended 100% of the time which gets tiring in a BIG hurry.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Playing a hat in time and it's pretty fun but the loading times are so egregious that it has killed any desire for me to revisit levels I have already played. When I first started it up it took so long to load that I thought the switch had crashed and restarted it. It's also a game that encourages speed running but fairly sure if you tried that you'd spend significantly more time staring at the loading screen than actually playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Because there's been a lot of chat about the remaster of Saints Row the 3rd (which is apparently really good) I've gone back to the original (well, the original 3rd, not the original SR) on the 360. I'm generally enjoying it, not as much as 2 or 4 but they're all great, but:

Late in the game they ratchet up the difficulty a bit by having more areas of the city be cordoned off, so going into them automatically gives you a wanted level and if cops see you they start firing at you, etc. Also there's another part of the map that is now overrun by zombies, who are the 00s fast-running kind so they can be a bit hard to deal with. There's a mission to clear them out but I haven't been able to pass it yet. It makes certain things harder to do in the late game and I'm kinda hoping beating the story will unlock things a bit. (Not that I wasn't gonna finish it otherwise.)

Also the fire status effect lasts too long. It's way too easy to get locked in that.