Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Who would that benefit the most? Clippers are probably the deepest team in the league, but only being able to play Kawhi and PG for 24 minutes would be a problem.

Maybe Miami? They go 10 or 11 deep with solid rotation players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

tanglewood1420 posted:

Who would that benefit the most? Clippers are probably the deepest team in the league, but only being able to play Kawhi and PG for 24 minutes would be a problem.

Maybe Miami? They go 10 or 11 deep with solid rotation players.

Toronto too, their deep bench is part of what makes them good

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Oceanlife posted:

Are we all postulating about what experimental rules we could add to finish off this season? No, you are saying it's a stupid topic? Well I don't care.

I propose we bring the "minimum minutes" rule from the youth rec leagues to the NBA for the rest of the season. Every player on the team from the back of the bench to the normal starters needs to play at least 12 minutes each game (no more than 24 for any one player) with exceptions being made for injuries. And, in order to make thing fair so no players feel left out, every player needs to get a chance to start a game.

This is going to firstly be good for the players mental health so that the end of the bench players don't feel left out and also give their parents a chance to see them play. But another reason is that if we are going to jam pack a bunch of games into a short time we have to minute limit the players so they do not get injured.

this would result in teams carrying just 8 players on their roster.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is too real

God drat

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

George Mikan would be played off the floor by JaVale McGee

Lol no poo poo. But I only had $1 left and I had to pick a "antique" era player

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pete is probably the best value for the last group because there's a lot of evidence he could hit long jumpers but after sleeping on it I think your best bet is to overspend there and get someone like Wilt or Russell because otherwise it's probably going to be a guy who couldn't hang athletically now.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

dokmo posted:

I picture the bench guys just starting and instantly committed the funniest techs they could think of to get ejected right away. Like guys 10-12 just start doing Globetrotter routines until the ref tells them to go away.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

dokmo posted:

I do not think an nba team can refuse to suit up players who aren’t injured. 3 player backup limit or something

This also ignores the parents who would be giving the coaches an earful for not playing their sons. The coaches would get in a lot of trouble if they only played their Own kids major minutes.

Oceanlife fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 28, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Oceanlife posted:

I do not think an nba team can refuse to suit up players who aren’t injured.

Lmao what

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Metapod posted:

Lmao what

I am pretty sure there is a limitation on doing that. Like a tanking team cant put their 5 best players on the reserves. I am sure some basketball scholar here has been reading the nba rule boom out of boredom and will tell me

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Oceanlife posted:

Are we all postulating about what experimental rules we could add to finish off this season? No, you are saying it's a stupid topic? Well I don't care.

I propose we bring the "minimum minutes" rule from the youth rec leagues to the NBA for the rest of the season. Every player on the team from the back of the bench to the normal starters needs to play at least 12 minutes each game (no more than 24 for any one player) with exceptions being made for injuries. And, in order to make thing fair so no players feel left out, every player needs to get a chance to start a game.

This is going to firstly be good for the players mental health so that the end of the bench players don't feel left out and also give their parents a chance to see them play. But another reason is that if we are going to jam pack a bunch of games into a short time we have to minute limit the players so they do not get injured.

I actually don’t think this is a bad rule overall, other than the fact that possibly 30% of the roster might not actually want to play in the current circumstances.

I think something like a maximum number of minutes per season or whatever for vets might not be an awful way to handle load management over the course of a regular season.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5/26/21270365/nba-restart-world-cup

I'm all in on this group stage proposal to replace first round/end of season. Especially with the added tweak that the top tier teams get to draft their group. I don't know that it makes any more sense than any other proposal but it would create some cool matchups at least.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Oceanlife posted:

I am pretty sure there is a limitation on doing that. Like a tanking team cant put their 5 best players on the reserves. I am sure some basketball scholar here has been reading the nba rule boom out of boredom and will tell me

They just make up an injury or say something very minor is major and are taking precautions or sit them in the name of rest

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They can make them non active

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Or just drop them from the roster if they aren't actually important enough to them.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Oceanlife posted:

Dokmo works in the NBA so if anyone would know what the rules are and how to skirt around them, it's him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Guys get DNP-rest all the time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
NBA can fine you for sitting players in a way that would not be in the best interest of competition (ie, not load management). However, I don't think this has happened since Pop got fined and in general Silver seems pretty ok with teams doing whatever with their players.

Non Joke way to force teams play deeper roster: Have game max minutes for players, which forces you to go deep.

Joke-ish: 10 individual slots each team has to assign before the game that regulates the minutes they can play. If someone gets injured you have to bring in a reserve, you can't move around minutes. Each player gives what they can and gets minutes based on their needs.

Starters monopolizing minutes is facist.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm probably in favor of the pure laissez faire approach that you can use your roster as you wish for either short or long term strategy but if there are rules I like more explicitly written ones that treat all players on the roster equally then a general touchy feely play your stars or maybe we'll fine you.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
And every player should get a big participation award trophy at the end of the season.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

euphronius posted:

Hmm with giannis in that lineup I worry about the spacing for Wilt

Not really going by offence.Just trying to get the best defensive team ever using the point system and no more then 2 players from each era.
Also thinking about defensive accolades each player acquired and physical ability. Found another good one.

Gary Payton 2
John Havlicek 5
Metta World peace. 1
Kevin Garnett 6
Dikembe Mutumbo1

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm probably in favor of the pure laissez faire approach that you can use your roster as you wish for either short or long term strategy but if there are rules I like more explicitly written ones that treat all players on the roster equally then a general touchy feely play your stars or maybe we'll fine you.

Welcome to the Pels for the latter half of the season last year. Star player doesn't want to play for the franchise anymore (requested a trade) and the franchise is better served by sitting him for better draft positioning and also waiting for more trade offers to become possible (some players/picks can't get traded till the off-season and/or draft) to get a better deal.

But he's a star and must be played. And, despite wanting to be trade, the player still wants to play NBA basketball while waiting for a trade to go through.

So, you have three powers competing for whether the star player should be played: the player themself, the league as a whole, and the franchise. It is a stupid situation and I hated it and am glad it is over and hope it never happens to anyone again.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Lockback posted:

NBA can fine you for sitting players in a way that would not be in the best interest of competition (ie, not load management). However, I don't think this has happened since Pop got fined and in general Silver seems pretty ok with teams doing whatever with their players.

Non Joke way to force teams play deeper roster: Have game max minutes for players, which forces you to go deep.

Joke-ish: 10 individual slots each team has to assign before the game that regulates the minutes they can play. If someone gets injured you have to bring in a reserve, you can't move around minutes. Each player gives what they can and gets minutes based on their needs.

Starters monopolizing minutes is facist.

Didn't the NBA step in on the Anthony Davis situation and make him play? I might be misremembering.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I found the moment on TV when Charles Barkley lost his joy. From 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHf8s1FXQWY&t=3558s

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Challenge: No Payton, KJ, Klay, or Sabonis.

Penny $3
Holiday $1
Michael Cooper $1
Durant $6
Walton $4

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I've been using my free athletic trial to read some back pieces by writers I haven't been able to read for a while. This site is really good. It reminds me of espn 12 years ago.

https://theathletic.com/1837335/2020/05/27/identifying-the-potential-candidates-for-pistons-general-manager/

For some reason my name is not on this list of candidates. Pisses me off

Thestepien's Zach Milner put out an extensive scouting report on Cassius Winston. They're doing good work

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/05/15/cassius-winston-scouting-report/

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 28, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Oceanlife posted:

Didn't the NBA step in on the Anthony Davis situation and make him play? I might be misremembering.

AD wanted to play (reportedly) and the NBA emphasized that the Pelicans sitting out a healthy, willing Davis was against the rules (but only AFTER the trade deadline, it was fine before). Eventually Davis relented on wanting to play and then no one cared. So yeah, I guess its a good example but the player actively wanted to continue playing so there's some other things at play other than just competitiveness.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

AD wanted to play (reportedly) and the NBA emphasized that the Pelicans sitting out a healthy, willing Davis was against the rules (but only AFTER the trade deadline, it was fine before). Eventually Davis relented on wanting to play and then no one cared. So yeah, I guess its a good example but the player actively wanted to continue playing so there's some other things at play other than just competitiveness.

It's also never a good look when the star player of a team gets boo'd relentlessly at his own team's home games.

e: and then he wore a "That's All, Folks!" shirt at his last home game and claimed later that he didn't pick it out himself, it was just waiting for him to put on

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1266125376964747269

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

It's also never a good look when the star player of a team gets boo'd relentlessly at his own team's home games.

e: and then he wore a "That's All, Folks!" shirt at his last home game and claimed later that he didn't pick it out himself, it was just waiting for him to put on

Yeah it was a super messy situation and I really feel bad for you guys. Looking forward to the years of KAT trade rumors though!!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dejan Bimble posted:

I found the moment on TV when Charles Barkley lost his joy. From 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHf8s1FXQWY&t=3558s

lmao that clip was great.

i also understand chuck when he said "this has become a real job, ernie."

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Yeah it was a super messy situation and I really feel bad for you guys. Looking forward to the years of KAT trade rumors though!!

It's going to suck and no player, team, or fan needs to go through something like that again.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1266179551383748608

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I would love to see any of those dudes like Sabonis, Walton, Webber, Hakeem surrounded by modern shooters. I guess the 90s Rockets that won basically played that way.

Steph/Klay/Pistol/Mullin/Sabonis would be hilarious. Run it all thru Sabonis and he'll average a triple double and they'll hit 30 3's a game. (and not be able to stop anyone)

Peak Sabonis for 2 is an incredible deal.

Are there any current bigs that are enough of a scoring and passing threat to do that right now? I feel like Embiid should be that but I dunno if he's really there.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Jokic is basically Sabonis minus athleticism plus better shooting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dan Devine has been doing a “time machine all stars” series for the past five weeks with those exact kinds of scenarios.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

If there were 32 teams in the league, a World Cup setup would have been a great gimmick. Can you imagine the hype around the group draw. Some team like the Raptors or Nuggets end up in a group with the Lakers and Bucks, meanwhile the Bulls, Knicks, Magic, and Suns all end up together.

Now if the NFL season were to be shortened by a couple months...

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 29, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258281/Luka-Doncic-Believed-To-Have-Stayed-In-Shape-Has-Played-Pickup-In-Slovenia

No seriously guys he's not fat

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

is slovenian pickup ball known for demanding a high degree of physical fitness :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Even in shape Luka is kinda fat, not concerned. Topic locked.