Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah in Seattle.

Blink is headquartered in Florida with offices in California and Arizona according to their website, so very sunny places :P (actually Florida could probably grow that stuff easily depending where)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Charles posted:

Yeah in Seattle.

Blink is headquartered in Florida with offices in California and Arizona according to their website, so very sunny places :P (actually Florida could probably grow that stuff easily depending where)
Yeah, Florida is called "The Sunshine State" but rain blows through all the time from the Gulf. It's not weeks or months of sun like CA or AZ.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Elviscat posted:

With all this pandemic stuff and only going in to work a few days a week, plus my girlfriend pretty much just coming over to my house, since she's in an apartment in a locked-down county, I'm down from an average of about 330Kwh a month to 160 for April, May's trending the same way. I'm never going to trash my battery before the warranty expires at this rate, Leafspy shows me at 92.05% SOH after 3 years and 26000 miles, that's with the lovely 30kw battery too.

mine is still sitting at 63.2 SOH and 9 bars. Not sure what i have to do to lose the bar, tried fast charging it, tried short trips, tried long trips.

Guess I just have to wait.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Normal wear won't degrade the battery much. If the region you live in has summer days >40c30c, and you park your Leaf in the sun all the time, you'll see a pretty significant degradation from that.

Edit: 30c is still pretty hot.

30C is a beautiful spring day here! (Southern Arizona)

We are not quite to needing another car, but my partner and I both settled on an EV for a next vehicle (we should have our own house to plug it in at by that time too). We are keeping our Fit for as long as it lives and since it's only at 120k miles, we're going to have it for years to come. I don't necessarily need a huge range since this will just be an in town car. Two used EVs caught my eye, Hyundai Ionic EV and Kia Soul EV. Both have a hatch and just enough room to fit our dogs. Anyone have experience with either of those?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

We are not quite to needing another car, but my partner and I both settled on an EV for a next vehicle (we should have our own house to plug it in at by that time too). We are keeping our Fit for as long as it lives and since it's only at 120k miles, we're going to have it for years to come. I don't necessarily need a huge range since this will just be an in town car. Two used EVs caught my eye, Hyundai Ionic EV and Kia Soul EV. Both have a hatch and just enough room to fit our dogs. Anyone have experience with either of those?

They're fairly similar cars, same equipment and interface, the Ioniq has better efficiency. Search this guy's channel, he has tested them both quite thoroughly. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG1QcV31eoSaX4rE8avQL4A

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Elviscat posted:

30c is pretty much the average in the summer here, we've never had a 40c day, which might account for why the battery's in such good shape, I should do a VIN lookup to see if it's a local car, dealer I bought it from buys good condition Leafs from all over the country, all around 20kmi, so I suspect mostly just off-lease, and has like 30 in stock at any given time, apparently if they don't sell after a few weeks they ship 'em up to Canada, where there's a huge demand for them?

The south-western B.C. Nissan dealers were packed full of second hand U.S. Leafs when we were looking this winter. Not sure how many they actually sell, but if you want a second hand EV they're pretty much the only game in town. They're eligible for a partial subsidy of ~$2500 if I remember correctly. Having to track VINs to make sure you aren't buying one from Arizona or southern California is a bit of pain in the butt and there will probably be unhappiness in the next couple of years from people who didn't know this was necessary. We don't do 40c summers here either.

Rumours abound that Nissan is circling the drain and I would believe it from the attitude we encountered at the local dealership. They definitely helped sell us a new Bolt.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Hexigrammus posted:

The south-western B.C. Nissan dealers were packed full of second hand U.S. Leafs when we were looking this winter. Not sure how many they actually sell, but if you want a second hand EV they're pretty much the only game in town. They're eligible for a partial subsidy of ~$2500 if I remember correctly. Having to track VINs to make sure you aren't buying one from Arizona or southern California is a bit of pain in the butt and there will probably be unhappiness in the next couple of years from people who didn't know this was necessary. We don't do 40c summers here either.

Rumours abound that Nissan is circling the drain and I would believe it from the attitude we encountered at the local dealership. They definitely helped sell us a new Bolt.

We bought our used leaf from a honda dealer in port moody early last year. They had 15-20 imported american leafs available at any given time. Mostly from california or seattle. They were open with where they came from and showed us where they were from and such. They also have a policy of selling only ones with the full 12 bars

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Russian Bear posted:

My 2017 Soul EV has been fantastic. It’s roomy, quiet and rides smooth. I am buying it off lease in a few months.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Russian Bear posted:

I live southeast of Phoenix and have a 2016 Soul EV. It's great, I love it, and as odd as it sounds I sometimes prefer it to driving our model 3 because it sits up higher. A thing to consider is the battery not having active cooling, so when it's not plugged in, if it sits out in the heat for extended periods of time, that can be bad for the battery long-term. This is not as good as Tesla or the Chevy batteries that have active battery cooling, but a step up from the passive eGolf or leaf batteries (of equivalent years, I'm sure both have gotten better recently, as well as later Kia's probably). I knew this going in and planned for it to be a car that is either in the garage or used for basic trips around town, not taking to work everyday where it will sit in the parking lot for 8 hours in the sun. It has a fan on the battery that vents the heat, but the only way to cool the battery in the summer or heat it in the winter is with the cabin temperature. There is a vent under the driver seat that feeds cabin air to the battery. Which leads me to my next annoyance, which is I can't precondition the cabin from the app unless it's plugged in. So if you drive it somewhere and plug it in to charge, then from the app you can launch preconditioning which will maintain battery health. Otherwise, it's a great used car at a great used price with a great warranty. There are some other interesting gotchas, like 2016 was the last year they allow you to automatically charge up to 80% every night, instead of the full 100%. I'll go get some helpful links and re-edit them into the post.

https://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoulEV/

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 25, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Tesla just cut the Model 3 price by $2k for all trims, and the Model S/X price by $5k for both trims each, in the US. I bet they had this planned for January 1st when they lost their tax credit, but didn't feel the need to drop prices when the Model Y was going to be coming out in a few months and would eat up most of the 3's demand.

Looks like S/X don't get lifetime supercharging anymore either, and there are a handful of small things removed from the 3 recently (frunk hooks, auto-dimming mirrors, rear seat ambient lighting, dead pedal cover). I'm sure you could get those at a service center if you wanted. :shrug:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Dead pedal cover as in the patch of durable material that stops your left foot from wearing through the carpet?

Trunk hooks as in a 35¢ piece of plastic?

What a bunch of penny pinching cheapskates.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Unlimited demand

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Dropping the auto-dimming mirrors weirds me out, and MomJeans420 is right, that is an assertion of unlimited demand. I've had them on my car since 2005 and I wouldn't go back if I was shopping in a competitive market. If Tesla ever gets a real competitor, they may have to rush to push some of this stuff back.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure my rear view on my 2020 Model 3 is auto-dimming, I think it's just the side mirrors they removed. A lot of people didn't like it for whatever reason, not sure if it was the implementation or whatever. I'll double check that tonight though. The frunk hook thing is silly but they were kind of pointless. The frunk in the 3 isn't big enough for anything to really bounce around anyway and they were just basically a little bolt cover. Dead pedal cover annoyed me but I bought my own all-season mats which have it anyway.

The ambient lighting thing pissed me off just because it wasn't mentioned on the website at all when I bought it. They disabled the footwell lights in software, footwell lights that even my 90s Corolla had. I know it's disabled in software because it momentarily powers on when you enter the car and I can use a t-tap and get them back. Newer cars probably won't have the light at all, I assume this was part of a phasing out. I'm not sitting there staring at my feet but it's helpful if you drop something and it's just a ridiculous way to do trim differentiation as they still put them in the LR and Performance variants.

Ultimately I bought the car to drive it though and the day to day experience is fantastic. Even in my peasant SR+ the range is good, seats are fantastic, ride is comfortable and the car corners like a dream for a glorified grocery getter. Autopilot works very well and the infotainment is industry leading by a longshot, though their services support needs some work. For all of its flaws and Tesla's absurd cost cutting, there's a lot to love about the Model 3.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Auto-dimming rear/side mirrors is great, but I miss being able to manually turn them off, especially when reversing in the dark.

There was a Tesla here that wound up in a creek because of that :laffo:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Model Y also didn't have dimming side mirrors and frunk hooks, so it looks like they've made a parts change, spent the remaining inventory and are now mounting the same on both. The 3 will probably get more of the same parts, such as the simpler made trunk well.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It seems every auto maker does this to some extent.

GM removed HomeLink on the Volt/Bolt, something they put in just about every car they make, especially at that price point. No auto dimming mirrors either.

They both have manual seats.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Wibla posted:

Auto-dimming rear/side mirrors is great, but I miss being able to manually turn them off, especially when reversing in the dark.

There was a Tesla here that wound up in a creek because of that :laffo:

eh now everything has backup cams anyway

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

The Model Y also didn't have dimming side mirrors and frunk hooks, so it looks like they've made a parts change, spent the remaining inventory and are now mounting the same on both. The 3 will probably get more of the same parts, such as the simpler made trunk well.

Hopefully it also gets the heat pump that the Y has and the power trunk. The former would make a big difference for winter driving efficiency, that would be the only reason I trade up. The latter just makes sense on such an expensive car, I was shocked when I didn't see that at the test drive. Otherwise I plan to drive this thing for 8-10 years.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

If it's just the side mirrors then that's whatever. My fiancée's Bolt has an auto dimming rear view mirror and it's superb compared to the manual one on my Volt.

I can't remember the last time I used my rear view mirror to back up. I usually use a mix of backup cam and looking out the windows.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh, i really like auto dimming side mirrors. center mirror isn't bad, but there's no way to dim the side mirrors manually and some idiot fucker with HIDZZZZ on his bro wagon will blind the poo poo out of you through your side mirror

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just to clarify, my unlimited demand was in relation to the price cuts.

In other news, Audi gonna Audi

https://twitter.com/Biohazard3737/status/1265652836504870912?s=20

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Just to clarify, my unlimited demand was in relation to the price cuts.

In other news, Audi gonna Audi

https://twitter.com/Biohazard3737/status/1265652836504870912?s=20

There's a pint of organic extra virgin in the frunk for picnics, it goes off after a while.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Very cool demo of the virtual diff locking on the Model Y, between 2 and 3 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGKCV5rHRI

Skip the rest of the video after that though. Just very generic babble about RWD causing oversteer and Tesla doing OTA updates.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

stevewm posted:

It seems every auto maker does this to some extent.

GM removed HomeLink on the Volt/Bolt, something they put in just about every car they make, especially at that price point. No auto dimming mirrors either.

They both have manual seats.

The Volt shares a ceiling console (whatever it's called) with a couple of other vehicles that DO have homelink (Buick Rendezvous, Chevy Malibu, another one or two) so if you can match the interior color it's a 10 minute swap.

And it works great. :)

Edit:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh, i really like auto dimming side mirrors. center mirror isn't bad, but there's no way to dim the side mirrors manually and some idiot fucker with HIDZZZZ on his bro wagon will blind the poo poo out of you through your side mirror

Until this moment I didn't even know this was a thing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

Until this moment I didn't even know this was a thing.

They started doing those at least in the mid-late 90s, at least for the C class Mercedes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My E39 has them. First car I've owned with them. They're great.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Godholio posted:

The Volt shares a ceiling console (whatever it's called) with a couple of other vehicles that DO have homelink (Buick Rendezvous, Chevy Malibu, another one or two) so if you can match the interior color it's a 10 minute swap.

And it works great. :)

Got some part numbers? I'd be interested in doing this..

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

stevewm posted:

Got some part numbers? I'd be interested in doing this..

You need GM connector kit (wiring harness) 19300600, and console 26700642 is the black one. I misremembered, it's from a Lacrosse, not a Rendezvous. Lacrosse had a black interior, Malibu didn't. If you need gray, I think both had that option. The harness is a bit pricey for what it is, but the convenience is worth it vs running wires up the A-pillar. The console just pops out (clips near each corner), and everything unplugs easily. There's a really long loving thread on the gm-volt forums about it, but there's really good info and pictures buried in it.

I bought both things off ebay, combined price was about $105. Right now that console (same listing) is up to $140 itself, rather than the 65 I paid, so maybe keep an eye on it.

Edit: Buick has a video on programming the homelink, it's easy as well.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 28, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Godholio posted:

You need GM connector kit....

Hey thanks for this. I've been all over the GMVolt forums and never stumbled on this before.

Now I'm on the lookout for a grey panel....

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charles posted:

They started doing those at least in the mid-late 90s, at least for the C class Mercedes.

My wife has a 2003 C240. I hate HATE the autodimming rearview mirror. It just doesn't work as well as the manual kind.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

My wife has a 2003 C240. I hate HATE the autodimming rearview mirror. It just doesn't work as well as the manual kind.

i bet if you replaced it with a new one it would work better

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
My 2003 Suburban has auto-dimming on all three mirrors and it's glorious. I don't understand why my 2019 eGolf doesn't have the same.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i bet if you replaced it with a new one it would work better

Maybe. This car also has the most ridiculous gearing I have seen in a modern automobile. It's a 4 speed automatic and at 65 in top gear (yes, 4th) it's turning over 3000rpm. Also it's too small inside for me to drive comfortably.

My 2000 Echo has taller gears and more driver room.

But we got it in 2004 for a very good price and it's been reliable (not compared to the Toyota, of course). Just lovely mpg and at >100,000 miles the maintenance gets pricy, hence the desire to replace with an EV.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My only problem with autodimming mirrors is it seems like the darkest dim setting isn’t as dark as a manual flip-dim mirror, which SUCKS when you get a brotruck with 500,000 candlepower of off-road LEDs on the bumper behind you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

VideoGameVet posted:

Maybe. This car also has the most ridiculous gearing I have seen in a modern automobile. It's a 4 speed automatic and at 65 in top gear (yes, 4th) it's turning over 3000rpm. Also it's too small inside for me to drive comfortably.

Are you sure it isn't a broken 5 speed? Would explain things.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

dissss posted:

Are you sure it isn't a broken 5 speed? Would explain things.

Mercedes never offered a C-class in the USA in 2003 with a 4-speed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C-Class_(W203)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i was shocked that it was such a reliable car but i am beginning to understand

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I was going to say they switched to the 5g tronic in 95 or 96. I have one of the last 4 speeds in my 94.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'd really enjoy auto-dimming side mirrors, I have to point my mirrors back into the faces of brotrucks with sick HIDs or LEDs pretty frequently in my Leaf, it's annoying since it disables that mirror for night driving.